• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I'd be interested in double dipping for a PC version when I build my next PC because I'd love to see all the Eikon fights at 4k60. But the last third of the game killed most of my desire to ever revisit it. But also the DLC could sway me.

What Sony is trying to achieve? What a waste.

30% of the income on all sales of Final Fantasy XVI during its highest sales period while also ensuring no other platforms are making the money.

It's about money. It's always about money. A few hundred grumpy messages about exclusivity on social media and enthusiast forums aren't going to affect the bottom line.

lori

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this game's gonna get cooked hard once it turns multi plat, this one really didn't turn out hot.

Jun 9, 2023
I'd be interested in double dipping for a PC version when I build my next PC because I'd love to see all the Eikon fights at 4k60. But the last third of the game killed most of my desire to ever revisit it. But also the DLC could sway me.

30% of the income on all sales of Final Fantasy XVI during its highest sales period while also ensuring no other platforms are making the money.

It's about money. It's always about money. A few hundred grumpy messages about exclusivity on social media and enthusiast forums aren't going to affect the bottom line.

Exactly. Bottom line is always money.

MS has the studios, Sony will have the exclusives and brand loyalty.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this game's gonna get cooked hard once it turns multi plat, this one really didn't turn out hot.

It'll get cooked as hard as 7 Remake did, which is "not at all" really. It's not going to convert a lot of new people into FF fans but it's not going to get roasted like Starfield these days

lori

Oct 25, 2017
It'll get cooked as hard as 7 Remake did, which is "not at all" really. It's not going to convert a lot of new people into FF fans but it's not going to get roasted like Starfield these days
FF7r has a really good battle planner on it with solid combat fundamentals even if underutilized. The core gameplay works well. The sidequests are really good. The game isn't hilariously sexist. You didn't have the lead explaining his "no blacks allowed" stance in a miniature essay prerelease.

I really don't see things working out for this game long term, critically, unless it gets major overhauls in DLC which... given the current DLC that just dropped, I don't see happening.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
But this is far worse than 7 remake ...

Not according to the critical reception really. If you personally feel it's worse, that's another thing entirely.

FF7r has a really good battle planner on it with solid combat fundamentals even if underutilized. The core gameplay works well. The sidequests are really good. The game isn't hilariously sexist. You didn't have the lead explaining his "no blacks allowed" stance in a miniature essay prerelease.

I really don't see things working out for this game long term, critically, unless it gets major overhauls in DLC which... given the current DLC that just dropped, I don't see happening.

I mean..the game *was* well received from a critical standpoint already. I don't see it suddenly getting astronomically worse all of a sudden just because more people can play it on PC

lori

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not doing this gotcha line of questioning, I am not following you here
I don't think reviewers can be fairly asked to assess things like in depth gameplay issues. It's just not reasonable for their job when they've gotta play the game and move on. You're not getting a KH2FM lv1 speedrunner on to review the new Kingdom Hearts game's gameplay. It's just not happening.

Similarly, many people doing reviews are also... well, look at how well Bioshock Infinite was reviewed for its story. Now compare that to its actual legacy and reputation.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah it's night and day. Time will be/has been much kinder to 7r.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think reviewers can be fairly asked to assess things like in depth gameplay issues. It's just not reasonable for their job when they've gotta play the game and move on. You're not getting a KH2FM lv1 speedrunner on to review the new Kingdom Hearts game's gameplay. It's just not happening.

Similarly, many people doing reviews are also... well, look at how well Bioshock Infinite was reviewed for its story. Now compare that to its actual legacy and reputation.

The problem is that this assumes that the default position is that XVI is deficient in stuff like gameplay when this isn't even the consensus either? There are still a lot of people elsewhere on the internet who did like the battle system quite a bit, not even getting into story, music, etc. hell, your point in FF7's favor of "the side quests were good" also had some push back upon its release as well. And the last two points you brought up are issues true, but i don't see the reception getting any worse than it already did post launch.

A lot of this has the undercurrent of "I did not like this game, so it's going to get cooked when more people play it" when that's probably not going to be the case. It's more likely that the PC release isn't going to move the needle in any direction really, but you're free to have your own thoughts and opinions on it

lori

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that this assumes that the default position is that XVI is deficient in stuff like gameplay when this isn't even the consensus either? There are still a lot of people elsewhere on the internet who did like the battle system quite a bit, not even getting into story, music, etc. hell, your point in FF7's favor of "the side quests were good" also had some push back upon its release as well. And the last two points you brought up are issues true, but i don't see the reception getting any worse than it already did post launch.

A lot of this has the undercurrent of "I did not like this game, so it's going to get cooked when more people play it" when that's probably not going to be the case. It's more likely that the PC release isn't going to move the needle in any direction really, but you're free to have your own thoughts and opinions on it
We shall see.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

I can't even see how they can fix any of the major issues through DLC. That's kind of "take it or leave it" situation.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
If anything going multiplat to PC might help it on the gameplay front. For a start, we can mod out that horrendous screen shake at long last.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
That post just reads like Playstation players have low standards or some bs, some people are going to dislike the lack of RPG elements and some people are going to enjoy the action combat. The thing to look out for is quality of the port and PC features. Those are usually where things can get tripped up when going multiplatform. Well that and doing something stupid like EGS exclusivity again.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Bioshock Infinite was also 10 years ago. I feel that the gaming review scene has changed a lot during these 10 years.

lori

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even see how they can fix any of the major issues through DLC. That's kind of "take it or leave it" situation.
The only reason I even say this is FFXV's post launch support ngl, I am fully not expecting it. It would be nice if combat got even a little bit of depth though.

Bioshock Infinite was also 10 years ago. I feel that the gaming review scene has changed a lot during these 10 years.
I just don't think it's a fair expectation of reviewers, honestly. They've got a lot on their plates and they might not have the right experiences to connect the dots for certain things in a short amount of time. I'm not meaning this as a knock on game reviewers as a whole fwiw.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason I even say this is FFXV's post launch support ngl, I am fully not expecting it. It would be nice if combat got even a little bit of depth though.

In a sense, FFXV having so many shortcomings due to terrible dev cycle made it "easier" to improve through updates and content additions.
"Oh party leader switching, PC version maxed out, fully reworked trees and combat abilities, dlc stories ? Sure I'll give it a shot"

FF16 is the way it is by design, I can't think of a single thing that would make me want to replay this.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
Yeah it's night and day. Time will be/has been much kinder to 7r.

Been waiting to give it another chance with difficulty mods. I like some of the hard mode decisions but lmao they combined it with not being able to heal or restore MP at all.

www.nexusmods.com

GGA Jeremiah's Hard Mod

I enjoyed the hard difficulty but I always wanted a hard difficulty at game start and still be able to use items. This is a mod to increase the difficulty of a regular game on normal difficulty. Ju

This looks great and I'll probably use it after they tweak a couple things.

Honestly can't understand the reasoning behind difficulty modes for Squenix. Just let us choose the hardest mode from the beginning!

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022

The side quests were great? Did we play different games? I feel like most FF sidequests are pretty terrible. In fact, A LOT of JRPGs have awful side quests. Way too many fetch quests and boring side stories.
Yakuza is one of the few JRPGs where I can actually enjoy the side quests, because of how weird and hilarious they tend to be. But there are still plenty of boring fetch quests as well.
Japanese developer just love MMO-style side content and I don't really know why.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Where is this reality where the FF7r sidequest were good, even compared to XVI lol? XVI has a lot of unremarkable sidequest, but I still can remember a dozen of them unlike... any of the FF7r ones

Sep 6, 2022
Where is this reality where the FF7r sidequest were good, even compared to XVI lol? XVI has a lot of unremarkable sidequest, but I still can remember a dozen of them unlike... any of the FF7r ones
FF7R sidequests let you do stuff like the Fort Condor board game, the exercise mini-games in the gym, the Shinra battle arena with superbosses etc.
There was some really good variety and lots of fun to be had.

I like XVI but all of the sidequests basically boil down to "go talk to person X, defeat Y, collect Z and bring it back to X" or some variation of that where they remove a step or mix them up.

The quests were well written, but they were the most boring and generic MMO style quests in terms of structure.
You cannot compare the 2 when it comes to side activities, FF7R completely smokes FFXVI in that department.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
FF7R sidequests let you do stuff like the Fort Condor board game, the exercise mini-games in the gym, the Shinra battle arena with superbosses etc.
There was some really good variety and lots of fun to be had.

I like XVI but all of the sidequests basically boil down to "go talk to person X, defeat Y, collect Z and bring it back to X" or some variation of that where they remove a step or mix them up.

The quests were well written, but they were the most boring and generic MMO style quests in terms of structure.
You cannot compare the 2 when it comes to side activities, FF7R completely smokes FFXVI in that department.
Yeah I don't really care about the little mini-games. Don't count fort condor since that was DLC that I never played, and doing little excercises doesn't make up for a completely forgettable story. Super bosses are always good, but FF16 also has a few unique areas and boss fights you unlock through quests

Story is king at the end of the day and I'll remember a few quest for that even if a lot of them have you doing mostly busywork

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't really care about the little mini-games. Don't count fort condor since that was DLC that I never played, and doing little excercises doesn't make up for a completely forgettable story. Super bosses are always good, but FF16 also has a few unique areas and boss fights you unlock through quests

Story is king at the end of the day and I'll remember a few quest for that even if a lot of them have you doing mostly busywork

I'll remember the Payback sidequest more than anything I did in FF7R

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I just don't think it's a fair expectation of reviewers, honestly. They've got a lot on their plates and they might not have the right experiences to connect the dots for certain things in a short amount of time. I'm not meaning this as a knock on game reviewers as a whole fwiw.
Insulting their intelligence but it was not meant as a knock on them, to support your claim that the game will get cooked hard.

I'm not really sure what this means, considering the public announcement of Square being more open to working with Xbox, alongside a new multi-platform Mana game being announced at the TGA's. Unless this is specific only to FF?
Just because they are going to have more exlusives does not mean no multiplatform games, or nothing on competing platforms.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia.
On a side note, it looks like the general exclusivity window for FF's are becoming shorter?

Understanding of course that these dates can mean little, but on the latest FF7: Rebirth Trailer, it has the following asterisk.

*Not available on other formats at least until 05.29.2024

While FF7 Remake was 12 months originally, and FF16 being 6 months. Seems to be getting halved every time.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
16 launched and got a DLC within its 6 months window. It'll have a second one around 9 months and then an "ultimate edition" will be announced for PC and PS5. If an Xbox version materialises it'll be *after* sales drop to extremely low levels and it'll probably go straight to gamepass. Oh also , even that won't happen until it's on PS+ first , whether that be "extra" or just "essential"

FF7 rebirth might only have 90 days but I'd expect you'll only get the announcement of a PC version not a release after that window. Don't expect to buy that one until at least September 2024 if not even potentially Q1 '25.

No sense in releasing it until sales are maxed out on PS5 afterall. I flat out wouldn't expect an Xbox release for the game either. If the FF7 remake trilogy ever aimed to be on that platform they'd have released the first one on gamepass by now.

DoctorChimp

Oct 6, 2020
Texas yall
I thought there was already a topic on this. This likely means PC ports.

Plus, Remake's exclusivity lasted a lot longer then was put on the trailers. It's not like a PC version just pops into existence the day the exclusivity ends.
Eh I mean, REmake came to PC with Integrade. It's the main reason why it took so long to come to PC..it wasn't the standard version that initially came to PS4. I'd like to think they wouldn't keep gamers waiting until a "complete" edition to bring it to PC.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
wccftech.com

Final Fantasy XVI, Other Square Enix Titles May Never Make It to Xbox, as Sony Exclusivity Is Going to Get Much Worse

Final Fantasy XVI and other Square Enix titles may never make it to Xbox consoles, as Sony exclusivity is going to get much worse, according to rumors

Wccftect picked up on this Thread
I don't understand how is this an article where recent evidences prove to the complete opposite. FFXIV is coming to Xbox. Phil was live at the biggest square event stage with the CEO.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
If anything I expect Rising Tide to launch at the same time the PC version does with Cross save from PS5.

Would be a boon for them

Also, god they botched Remakes PC launch so fucking badly, embarrassingly so. 13k As its all time peak? Pathetic, FFXVI will probably outsell it on PC within the first month simply by being a competent port and not stuck on the Epic Game Store

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
If anything I expect Rising Tide to launch at the same time the PC version does with Cross save from PS5.

Would be a boon for them

Also, god they botched Remakes PC launch so fucking badly, embarrassingly so. 13k As its all time peak? Pathetic, FFXVI will probably outsell it on PC within the first month simply by being a competent port and not stuck on the Epic Game Store

Have you seen how bad the game runs on ps5 ?

Have seen how well Remake runs on ps5 ?

PC is gonna be a shit show like most of the square PC ports.

May 15, 2019
I do wonder if the Sony check made up for things or if Square Enix feels like they could have made more money if they'd just done a day one multiplatform launch. This game feels like it just came and went, and even if there's a huge audience that's been waiting for the PC version I doubt most of them are going to be willing to pay the same price as if it had come out the same day as the PS5 version.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I do wonder if the Sony check made up for things or if Square Enix feels like they could have made more money if they'd just done a day one multiplatform launch. This game feels like it just came and went, and even if there's a huge audience that's been waiting for the PC version I doubt most of them are going to be willing to pay the same price as if it had come out the same day as the PS5 version.
While the question of whether the exclusivity deal was worth it in the end is totally valid, I also expect this to do better on PC than most FF games (aside from maybe XV, which is a bit of a sales monster). CBU3 and Yoshi-P have a relatively sizable fanbase on PC because of FFXIV and at least of subset of them don't have a PS5.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Have you seen how bad the game runs on ps5 ?

Have seen how well Remake runs on ps5 ?

PC is gonna be a shit show like most of the square PC ports.
Remake is a built for PS4 game that didnt run great on PS4, lmaoooooo what a nonsense comparison.

And Remake's PC port was god fucking awful, CBU3 meanwhile is the most PC focused dev group at SE, the port will be competent.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I wouldn't expect ANY new FF on Xbox until we get word that FF7R Intergrade is coming to the platform.

I don't see anything popping off until the oldest title of the 3 is confirmed.

I think the shorter timeframe for exclusivity is just a case of Sony & Square realizing they don't need longer. Since the teams aren't big enough to have other versions ready within that window anyway while still holding open the door for Square if they manage to get a PC port done just slightly before the 1 year window so they don't have to sit on a effectively completed port.

The main reason I kind of disagree with this is I think Square is going to wait for the 7R trilogy to be done so they can get a better GP deal and it'd be easier to market 'the entire series is now on Xbox!' Since 16 isn't connected directly to that I think it could come to Xbox before Intergrade