• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017

FHlsQwaaIAEb8fJ

Greetings everyone.

When we last spoke, I promised I would have more information on FINAL FANTASY XVI sometime later in 2021. However, I regret to inform you that I will be unable to keep that promise as complications stemming from the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic have delayed the game's development by almost a half year.

As the latest addition to the FINAL FANTASY series being developed for the PlayStation 5, FINAL FANTASY XVI has amassed a sizeable team composed of talented creators from around the world. However, in an effort to offset the effects of COVID-19, we've had to decentralize that workforce by permitting staff to tackle their assignments from home. This has unfortunately hampered communication from the Tokyo office, which, in turn, has led to delays in - or in extreme cases, cancellations of - asset deliveries from our outsource partners.

That said, we have spent much of 2021 addressing this issue, and hope to see its impact to a minimum by the new year, allowing us to better focus on the tasks at hand: increasing graphic resource quality, refining combat mechanics, fleshing out individual battles, putting the finishing touches on cutscenes, and conduction overall graphical optimization. Our primary goal now is to be as hands on with the game as possible in order to see it fully polished.

So that leaves us with the questions, when can we expect the next round of informations? Well, I am happy to announce the current plan is to conduct our next big reveal in spring of 2022 as we seek to built excitement leading up to the game's eventual release.

I deeply apologize to all those who have been looking forward to learning more about FINAL FANTASY XVI, and thank you for your continued patience while we focus our combined efforts on development.

FINAL FANTASY XVI Producer
Naoki Yoshida

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
So it will make 2022 since YoshiP wanted to have the big blowout very close to release.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Spring lasts until June, so probably nothing until right around Forspoken's release. Probably at E3

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Can't wait, timeframe is all I really needed. Given their previous comments I would have inferred a late 2022 launch but it sounds like they've got a lot to work on still. Guess we'll see

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Can't wait, timeframe is all I really needed. Given their previous comments I would have inferred a late 2022 launch but it sounds like they've got a lot to work on still. Guess we'll see

Kinda other way around. Yoshida said he wants the next big reveal to come shortly before the game's release. Him saying they'll do a big reveal in Spring 2022 makes me believe this is a Fall game.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I like this. Just say what's going on and keep it moving. Also Square Enix are releasing 2 big titles early next year so it's not all bad. They need to take their time with this.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
End of 22 or first quarter of 23 is the question, since I'm assuming they'll try to release it within the fiscal year.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Cool, looking forward to hearing more about it then. Probably the most interested I've been in a single player FF game in a good while, as this is the first one coming out since I started getting into XIV (which in turn increased my interest in FF as a whole).

TheRealMoB

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 1, 2020
Yep, was only a matter of time before we heard something from them about the delays that happened this year. Glad to hear they've mostly recouped from the difficulties and are back on track

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Lmao just picturing some dude still confident that they'd still get info in 2021 before this message was posted

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I mean with Sony struggling to get PS5 stock out there we knew this wasn't releasing any time soon
Don't expect any exclusive next gen third party for a while
I don't think third party will be influenced by how many consoles are sold. After all Sony (and Xbox iirc) are still selling more than they did last gen in the same time frame. So those games were likely greenlight with expectations that the consoles sell at least as good as last gen did. Which they more than do, given they outsell their predecessors.

The struggle of keeping up with demand is obviously real and very frustrating for consumers, but I don't think that will influence third party publishers to much, given the sales of the consoles are still exceeding expectations. I think 2022 will have a few next gen only games by third party publishers (like NFS) and 2023 will be mostly next gen imo.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Just tell me if Ishikawa is working on it.

That will sell me instantly. No other info required.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
This game seems further away than I thought it was. Interested to see the upcomng news but now I don't think this will be out in 2022 like I originally thought.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Game that was never going to release in 2021 is put back at least 6 months... So obviously it's going to make 2022? Zuh?

Don't do this to yourselves.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a outsource team messed up from what he says but not shock something like this happen

Last edited:

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Game that was never going to release in 2021 is put back at least 6 months... So obviously it's going to make 2022? Zuh?

Don't do this to yourselves.
If it's early 2023, they could wait till E3 for the reveal blowout, much like FFVII Remake

But they're choosing to do it in Spring, which suggests an Autumn/Winter release imo

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Sounds like it is in polishing stage and given past comments hinting at release date announcement with the next update, I am assuming they are targeting around September, hope they make it there.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Just tell me if Ishikawa is working on it.

That will sell me instantly. No other info required.
IIRC, it's the Heavensward narrative writer.

I do hope Ishikawa gets to lead a full single player FF game at some point, especially since she's stepping back from XIV a bit. She is quite possible the best writer Square has. XIV is in the running for the best story in the series.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
He wants the info reveal not that far from release so this is great news. I see it being summer 2022.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I smell a avatar bet thread made by someone, given the discussion about release dates in here šŸ˜‚šŸ¤”