crimmy88

Aug 7, 2023
A lot of people are taking Rebirth's (well deserved) positive reception as an opportunity to dunk on XVI, and it kinda bums me out.

Especially when I think there's a great, reasoned discussion to be had about how CBU3 could learn and take inspiration from what Rebirth does well while still building on the really strong gameplay base that XVI brought.

Like, if we had a potential XVI-2 or XVII that took inspiration from Rebirth's world structure, while also fleshing out XVI's own combat system with party members, a few more RPG elements and itemization (well reasoned, they shouldn't just throw that stuff in there just to say they have it), etc, I think we could have a game that's as strong as Rebirth in different ways.

I would love to make a thread and do a full write up speculating on where CBU3 could take the XVI template from here, but I know it would just get drowned out in shitposts.

Edit: Fuggit I'm making one anyway.
Very insightful thread, tbh. Its weird to read how vocal those who dislike the game are given how the game was received critically and how 48% of the people who played the game completed it.

In any case, I'm playing Rebirth now (about 20hrs in) and while I think this is definitely the better game, I still find myself wanting to do Ultimaniac runs in XVI. Rebirth is fun rn but I dont think its a game I'll go back to after finishing it (including Hard Mode for the platinum trophy).

Im still holding out hope we get some sort of Bloody Palace mode for XVI though that seems unlikely now after the first DLC.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018
Very insightful thread, tbh. Its weird to read how vocal those who dislike the game are given how the game was received critically and how 48% of the people who played the game completed it.

Era is absolutely in a bubble with its obsession on dunking on this game and downplaying its sales and reviews.

That being said, this take has been doing the rounds on Twitter and I feel like it's pretty relevant in general:

e9pEjDK.jpeg

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017

In any case, I'm playing Rebirth now (about 20hrs in) and I think this is definitely the better game, I still find myself wanting to do Ultimaniac runs in XVI. Rebirth is fun rn but I dont think its a game I'll go back to after finishing it (including Hard Mode for the platinum trophy).

Im still holding out hope we get some sort of Bloody Palace mode for XVI though that seems unlikely now after the first DLC.
That thread went better than I expected for quite a while, so hey. As I said in the thread, there's nothing wrong with disliking the game, but discussion of how it could be better is just stifled by vitriol so often.

Rebirth is absolutely a better game than XVI altogether (at least from a game design perspective) but I think people are just too eager to throw XVI, which has a lot of great strengths in its foundation, under the bus because it wasn't immediately what everyone wanted. There is absolutely a sense of excitement and spectacle to XVI's combat and gameplay that can sometimes feel missing in the more RTWP-like Remake combat system. Not to dunk on it, because VIIR's combat is my personal favorite of any JRPG combat system. But, like everything, it has its strengths and weaknesses and I don't think XVI's character action-inspired combat is some grand betrayal of the series or needs to go away. In fact, for a series as spectacle driven as FF, I think in many ways a character action approach could be extremely fitting.

Rebirth is the result of iteration on a game that also had flaws. There's no reason iterating on the design foundation laid by XVI couldn't knock it out of the park in a similar manner. And, like I outlined in the thread, I think there are ways you could iterate on it while also pleasing people who want some of that RPG strategy back in.

Era is absolutely in a bubble with its obsession on dunking on this game and downplaying its sales and reviews.

That being said, this take has been doing the rounds on Twitter and I feel like it's pretty relevant in general:
I think there's some validity to this, especially with the discourse regarding tone, which has always been varied in the series and should absolutely not be totally beholden to VII's mix of goofiness and anime melodrama. But I don't think it encapsulates all of it. I love XVI, but CBU3 did move away from a *lot* of series staples, even with other entries being radically different from one another. Some of them I think are fine to move away from, but some of them, specifically in relation to the lack of a party and more of a singular character focus, are things I would definitely want to see them reincorporate into their take on the series.

This is kind of an aside, but here's my biggest hot take: I don't think XVI's character customization is that terribly out of step with the rest of the series, which has been largely about choosing which active abilities to take into battle. I think if you had this exact customization system, but with equally customizable party members and maybe some different damage types, you would hear a lot less complaining about the RPG elements of the game. I can tell you I personally spent more time tinkering with my various Clive builds in XVI than I have spent on party customization in the vast majority of FF games.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018
My biggest criticism of XVI will always be the lack of playable party members, because so many other shortcomings are a direct result of this approach. Clive gets proper character development, but too many times its at the expense of someone else. For example, the game could at least have let us play as Jill temporarily during the Iron Kingdom boss fights. Give us an early taste of Shiva's moves. But no, she had to be rendered incapable somehow, so that Clive could swoop in and save the day. We could have had a heart to heart talk between Dion and Jill about acceptance of having been used as a weapon of mass destruction, and maybe that would have eased his guilt over being manipulated into losing control of his Eikon a bit. The only times we see conversations between allies that don't involve Clive are when Joshua talks to Jote, or Dion, and that doesn't happen very often. This was not an issue in XV, not even back when you could only control Noctis. I also hate the ending. But it's not

But on the other hand, I really cannot see where the people who are saying it's nothing like Final Fantasy are coming from. It's just that it's got more in common with the first five games and Ivalice than it does any games involving Kitase and Nomura. The entire "accept the truth" moment is one of the most blatant homages to an iconic moment in an earlier game alongside the opening to XIII mirroring that of VII. And for the people who dislike political intrigue, the second half of the game pivots to the most common trope in FF writing: "attack and dethrone god". And of course, the classic summons are all a huge part of the story. It's fine to not like the game, of course. But some of the criticism is kind of mind-boggling.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I feel like someone on the team was definitely pushing for playable Jill, Joshua, and Dion. There's several moments in the game that seem like you could have slotted playable segments in and it would have felt incredibly natural and as Warrior of Light said above, it would have improved character development for them and allowed them more agency. I can definitely see this being the biggest take away CBU3 learns from feedback for XVI and I hope they're given the chance to do XVII.

Very much looking forward to Rising Tide and hope it has an epilogue that makes the ending slightly less ambiguous (I enjoy an ambiguous ending from time to time, but I felt like base game XVI's ending was just a little too up in the air as far as lack of closure).

Last edited:

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
"This isn't my Final Fantasy [VII]" has been the refrain for almost 30 years now. Not to wash away the critique because a lot of it is fair. But when the same groups of people go, "I don't like the dialogue and the mature language" then go gaga for video game dialogue that feels like it hasn't progressed much in just as long, it's hard to take it seriously.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I feel like someone on the team was definitely pushing for playable Jill, Joshua, and Dion. There's several moments in the game that seem like you could have slotted playable segments in and it would have felt incredibly natural and as Warrior of Light said above, it would have improved character development for them and allowed them more agency. I can definitely see this being the biggest take away CBU3 learns from feedback in XVI and I hope they're given the chance to do XVII.

Very much looking forward to Rising Tide and hope it has an epilogue that makes the ending slightly less ambiguous (I enjoy an ambiguous ending from time to time, but I felt like base game XVI's ending was just a little too up in the air as far as lack of closure).
I said when it came out that Jill and Joshua in particular have abilities that look like they fit Player's moveset more than NPCs. Gap closers, combos with magic weaving in between, it all looks very much like a player character skillset, so I've theorized that they were considered to be playable at one point.

But on the other hand, I really cannot see where the people who are saying it's nothing like Final Fantasy are coming from. It's just that it's got more in common with the first five games and Ivalice than it does any games involving Kitase and Nomura. The entire "accept the truth" moment is one of the most blatant homages to an iconic moment in an earlier game alongside the opening to XIII mirroring that of VII. And for the people who dislike political intrigue, the second half of the game pivots to the most common trope in FF writing: "attack and dethrone god". And of course, the classic summons are all a huge part of the story. It's fine to not like the game, of course. But some of the criticism is kind of mind-boggling.
Yeah, I see a lot of "it should be FF not Game of Thrones" criticism and I don't agree with it. The GoT inspiration is totally there, but it's window dressing for a what is very much a Final Fantasy story.

What's interesting is that it gets a lot of flack for doing exactly what VII did: taking a somewhat grounded concept in the first act [Shinra is sucking the planet dry/the mothercrystals causing a system of oppression] and blowing those themes it up into cosmic proportions, spectacle, and metaphor by the end of it [Sephiroth wants to use big meteor to suck up all the planet's lifestream to achieve ultimate power/the architect of all these oppressive systems was a space alien creator god who created them only to help himself].

Neither VII nor XVI actually drop their themes, they just blow out those themes to an insane scope.

(Yes, I am possibly the world's only Ultima defender lol. I think his incorporation serviced both the themes and the "Final Fantasy"ness of it all quite well)

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, I see a lot of "it should be FF not Game of Thrones" criticism and I don't agree with it. The GoT inspiration is totally there, but it's window dressing for a what is very much a Final Fantasy story.

While it does take some inspiration from Game of Thrones in terms of its presentation, what irks me the most is when people downplay the obvious Matsuno influence.

Oct 25, 2017
While it does take some inspiration from Game of Thrones in terms of its presentation, what irks me the most is when people downplay the obvious Matsuno influence.

Completely agreed. Plus the M rating was beneficial to XVI imo and that let the game not hold back on moments in the same way that we've seen the 7 Remake series occasional handle moments that were originally more visceral in the OG game.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Oh absolutely, and we know how much Yoshi-P and Maehiro love Matsuno's works, but at the same time I think the specific GoT influence is pretty clear. Clive in particular has a lot of Jon Snow hallmarks (less regarded son of a pretty honorable noble lord who gets his head chopped off, disliked by his mother figure due to the circumstances of his birth, goes on to lead a faction outside of the general political situation in the country, has a wolf companion). Ultimately though, that's all surface level stuff. They're very different characters with different roles in the story.

Hell, I'd go so far as to say that FFXVI is a deconstruction (almost mockingly so) of the politicking in those pieces. While the villains are playing long games and manipulating people, Clive is sacking cities and destroying Mothercrystals via overwhelming force and will. My man is sending the world into a dark age simply because it's the right thing to do. He's saving Branded folk even when they ask him not to. His final blow against Ultima, the architect of this whole poltical climate and situation, is punching him right in the fucking face, followed by a mocking use of diplomatic language before blowing the system to shit ("These are our terms.")

I've said it other threads before, but I think FFXVI is a more politically bold game than it gets credit for, because it's message seems to be "Tear oppressive forces down by whatever means you need to". The whole plot is about sending the world back into a dark age, Clive openly tries to kill his enemies, Jill gets revenge on her former oppressors and is all the better for it, Dion leads to the Dragoons to sack his own city to defy the Empreror and is portrayed as heroic for doing so. The throughline is pretty clear but I feel like it gets a bit lost in the "it tried to be Game of Thrones" discourse. COmpare that to VII, which, much as I love it, chides it's characters for going too far in the Mako Reactor bombings.

Completely agreed. Plus the M rating was beneficial to XVI imo and that let the game not hold back on moments in the same way that we've seen the 7 Remake series occasional handle moments that were originally more visceral in the OG game.
I just wrote about this in the XVI iteration thread I made a few days ago. While I don't necessarily need an M-rated FF again, I really would love to see this game's relative frankness on it's mature themes continue in the series.

Last edited:

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Oh absolutely, and we know how much Yoshi-P and Maehiro love Matsuno's works, but at the same time I think the specific GoT influence is pretty clear. Clive in particular has a lot of Jon Snow hallmarks (less regarded son of a pretty honorable noble lord who gets his head chopped off, disliked by his mother figure due to the circumstances of his birth, goes on to lead a faction outside of the general political situation in the country, has a wolf companion). Ultimately though, that's all surface level stuff. They're very different characters with different roles in the story.

Hell, I'd go so far as to say that FFXVI is a deconstruction (almost mockingly so) of the politicking in those pieces. While the villains are playing long games and manipulating people, Clive is sacking cities and destroying Mothercrystals via overwhelming force and will. My man is sending the world into a dark age simply because it's the right thing to do. He's saving Branded folk even when they ask him not to. His final blow against Ultima, the architect of this whole poltical climate and situation, is punching him right in the fucking face, followed by a mocking use of diplomatic language before blowing the system to shit ("These are our terms.")

I've said it other threads before, but I think FFXVI is a more politically bold game than it gets credit for, because it's message seems to be "Tear oppressive forces down by whatever means you need to". The whole plot is about sending the world back into a dark age, Clive openly tries to kill his enemies, Jill gets revenge on her former oppressors and is all the better for it, Dion leads to the Dragoons to sack his own city to defy the Empreror and is portrayed as heroic for doing so. The throughline is pretty clear but I feel like it gets a bit lost in the "it tried to be Game of Thrones" discourse. COmpare that to VII, which, much as I love it, chides it's characters for going too far in the Mako Reactor bombings.

I just wrote about this in the XVI iteration thread I made a few days ago. While I don't necessarily need an M-rated FF again, I really would love to see this game's relative frankness on it's mature themes continue in the series.

I just want to say it's so incredibly refreshing to read someone honestly and earnestly engaging with the political through line of the game. I hadn't picked up on the full implications of the "these are our terms" speech until I read this post. Thank you.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I just want to say it's so incredibly refreshing to read someone honestly and earnestly engaging with the political through line of the game. I hadn't picked up on the full implications of the "these are our terms" speech until I read this post. Thank you.
Oh thank you! I'm a theatre nerd, so I love script analysis, even (perhaps especially) on a big goofy series like Final Fantasy. I think one of the reasons I love the series is that it's usually trying to say *something* interesting or heady, even if it doesn't always work. Even at its goofiest, the series tends to be ambitious and interesting in what it's trying to convey.

Ultimately, I just find XVI to be a very interesting game to talk about, in all its strengths and weaknesses, and that's one of the reasons I get frustrated with people getting so damn angry and toxic about it.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the M rating is big for me. Not because of mature games for mature gamers but because of things that doesn't need to be held back. Also I don't mind the solo playable character. Just better world and quest design is what I wanted. Reasons to explore with actual towns and side dungeons/minigames while still keeping the theming would be the changes I'd want for another game. Having actual adult main characters not being shonen protagonists though? Sign me up for 20 more.

Jan 11, 2018
Most of the main characters in FFXIV are also around 25-35. Thancred and Y'shtola are both in their early 30's for example. It's so refreshing.

I think this team will be able to produce another offline FF that builds upon the strengths of this one and also improves on its weaknesses. It's only speculation, but Ishikawa stepped away from her role as lead writer in FFXIV after Endwalker in much the same manner as Maehiro did after Heavensward. So something is probably brewing!

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Most of the main characters in FFXIV are also around 25-35. Thancred and Y'shtola are both in their early 30's for example. It's so refreshing.

I think this team will be able to produce another offline FF that builds upon the strengths of this one and also improves on its weaknesses. It's only speculation, but Ishikawa stepped away from her role as lead writer in FFXIV after Endwalker in much the same manner as Maehiro did after Heavensward. So something is probably brewing!
It's worth noting that we haven't heard word of combat designer Ryota Suzuki leaving Square, either. I doubt they're gonna put him on FFXIV Raid Design Duty. I'm sure they're cooking something up, whether its FFXVII or something else.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I do think FFXVI's story has a lot that can be discussed about it thematically. The execution is messy, there's some very important criticisms to make, but it's core is solid.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX

On the differing reactions to the portrayal of radicalism in XVI vs VII (because I've been thinking about this a bit the past few days) I really think Yoshi-P's remarks trying to justify the lack of diversity in the game's cast really colored the discourse. People were really primed to go into that game looking for vaguely right-wing readings of everything, to the point that Clive not being a passionate anti-slavery crusader at age 15 is pretty widely treated as proof of some deep both-sidesism in the game's politics. (And in the defense of people looking for those sorts of themes in XVI, I genuinely do think XIV has some of the most centrist politics I've encountered in recent media, so I don't think suspicion was completely unwarranted).

Beyond that, I think there's a big aesthetics versus substance gap between the two. FF7 nails the aesthetics of modern radical politics — Barrett's bit about the complicity of the average Shinra worker feels like it could be taken straight out of a modern conversation. Whereas people tend to read medieval settings as divorced from modern issues, so when Cid lays out that we blow up the mothercrystals because it's the right thing to do, and that's only going to increase the demand for slavery, and we're going to just have to fight all the harder against that anyway because it's the right thing to do, the anti-pragmatic, anti-compromise radicalism of it just gets lost because it's more abstracted from the aesthetics people are looking for, and the issues at play have fewer modern-world analogues.

Or like, the villains in VII are all very directly involved with mako, in a way that they get to be very mustache-twirlingly evil about it, and it feels like passionate condemnation of them and their real-world corporate counterparts, whereas XVI probably has the more realistic portrayal of powerful people who benefit from the status quo: they're largely focused on their own petty grievances and short term self-interest, and don't really think much about slavery or the mother crystals other than as chess pieces in their political game, because the evils of the system are just part of the air they breathe. But realistic doesn't necessarily give the same emotional heft for people.

And last note, I think the choice of environmentalism/anti-corporatism versus slavery as your core social issue for the story just made things an uphill battle for XVI. Portrayals of fantasy slavery have a really hard time either not being offensive to real-world victims of historical slavery, or of just reading as kind of cringe, like you're sitting through the same lesson from elementary school about why this was bad. And reading the discourse online, it feels like XVI managed to do both? Whereas people probably like your anti-corporate message *more* the simpler and less nuanced it gets. There's no portrayal of the evil corporation cartoonish enough that it won't read as an effective send up of real world corporate greed

Jan 11, 2018
It's worth noting that we haven't heard word of combat designer Ryota Suzuki leaving Square, either. I doubt they're gonna put him on FFXIV Raid Design Duty. I'm sure they're cooking something up, whether its FFXVII or something else.

Indeed. I guess the silver lining to the one man party is that they've already done a narrative where one person ends up obtaining all of the powers now and are unlikely to do that again for quite some time. Lest we forget, DMC5 ultimately had four playable characters! No doubt you could make a traditional party of five or six people, each with their own unique abilities :)

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people are taking Rebirth's (well deserved) positive reception as an opportunity to dunk on XVI, and it kinda bums me out.

Especially when I think there's a great, reasoned discussion to be had about how CBU3 could learn and take inspiration from what Rebirth does well while still building on the really strong gameplay base that XVI brought.

Like, if we had a potential XVI-2 or XVII that took inspiration from Rebirth's world structure, while also fleshing out XVI's own combat system with party members, a few more RPG elements and itemization (well reasoned, they shouldn't just throw that stuff in there just to say they have it), etc, I think we could have a game that's as strong as Rebirth in different ways.

I would love to make a thread and do a full write up speculating on where CBU3 could take the XVI template from here, but I know it would just get drowned out in shitposts.

Edit: Fuggit I'm making one anyway.

Apologies for not answering in your thread as I... don't want to enter a thread where XVI and Rebirth are both mentioned lol. Also avoiding Rebirth spoilers.

20 hrs into Rebirth, it's very clear that Rebirth was made by a team that already had the fundamentals done and are just batshit insane having fun putting everything. By Junon the illusion kinda dissipated and you can see the pattern, but still, it's a game that's chock-full of everything. I was very critical of how suffocating Remake feels, with it being entirely set on Midgar and how many optional content were hidden behind weird "Virtual battle" stuff. Rebirth didn't need that and put all the fun stuff on the map. The minigames are insane, there's a lot more activity that's focused on exploring.

On the flip side, XVI where it has an extreme focus of getting the project done. Don't do weird shit that some players won't engage. Don't do weird shit where players will optimize the fun out of it. No minigames, don't make equipment a busywork when the focus is on combat and Eikons, no need to make optional dungeon if people are going there for completion anyway. The focus on combat and story made both an extremely strong point in the game, and it came with the cost of almost everything else.

But it turned out that on a fanbase as diverse as Final Fantasy, you kinda need that little bit of everything--the stuff that's usually dragged development time. This is a luxury XVI didn't have, as they were making the game from ground up. I also think the PR dept of this game lost control of their narrative with their trailers. The conversation surrounding the game became "Are there towns?" "Are there NPC shops?" "Are there sidequests?" "Is Clive the only person in this game?" and the answers weren't satisfying to most players. They probably should've communicated this earlier.

Playing Rebirth so far increased my appreciation of XVI's storytelling, though. Clive is such a complex protagonist, not because of his backstory, but by how he chose to act to people around him. It's also a lot more subtle than Rebirth's on the face messaging and themes, and sometimes I found Rebirth's cutscenes had too much energy for what's supposed to be tender moments.

I hate ranking stuff, but in terms of enjoyment it's Rebirth > XVI > Remake to me so far and I don't think that'll change. That's a lineup of bangers, I should say. I said it in the XIV thread, but going from Rebirth to The Rising Tide to Dawntrail is a good, good year.

There's an interesting question for the future though. If CBU3 were to continue the game by using XVI's fundamentals, why not make it XVII? If they wanted to make a big, premium new IP using XVI's fundamentals, but the Rebirth team wanted to make the final game, who's making the next Final Fantasy? I don't think they have the internal capacity for VII, Kingdom Hearts 4, premium CBU3 game, and another XVII. Not to mention they must've thought about the next "service" Final Fantasy game to eventually replace XIV, which is currently the most profitable FF.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
On the differing reactions to the portrayal of radicalism in XVI vs VII (because I've been thinking about this a bit the past few days) I really think Yoshi-P's remarks trying to justify the lack of diversity in the game's cast really colored the discourse. People were really primed to go into that game looking for vaguely right-wing readings of everything, to the point that Clive not being a passionate anti-slavery crusader at age 15 is pretty widely treated as proof of some deep both-sidesism in the game's politics. (And in the defense of people looking for those sorts of themes in XVI, I genuinely do think XIV has some of the most centrist politics I've encountered in recent media, so I don't think suspicion was completely unwarranted).

Beyond that, I think there's a big aesthetics versus substance gap between the two. FF7 nails the aesthetics of modern radical politics — Barrett's bit about the complicity of the average Shinra worker feels like it could be taken straight out of a modern conversation. Whereas people tend to read medieval settings as divorced from modern issues, so when Cid lays out that we blow up the mothercrystals because it's the right thing to do, and that's only going to increase the demand for slavery, and we're going to just have to fight all the harder against that anyway because it's the right thing to do, the anti-pragmatic, anti-compromise radicalism of it just gets lost because it's more abstracted from the aesthetics people are looking for, and the issues at play have fewer modern-world analogues.

Or like, the villains in VII are all very directly involved with mako, in a way that they get to be very mustache-twirlingly evil about it, and it feels like passionate condemnation of them and their real-world corporate counterparts, whereas XVI probably has the more realistic portrayal of powerful people who benefit from the status quo: they're largely focused on their own petty grievances and short term self-interest, and don't really think much about slavery or the mother crystals other than as chess pieces in their political game, because the evils of the system are just part of the air they breathe. But realistic doesn't necessarily give the same emotional heft for people.

And last note, I think the choice of environmentalism/anti-corporatism versus slavery as your core social issue for the story just made things an uphill battle for XVI. Portrayals of fantasy slavery have a really hard time either not being offensive to real-world victims of historical slavery, or of just reading as kind of cringe, like you're sitting through the same lesson from elementary school about why this was bad. And reading the discourse online, it feels like XVI managed to do both? Whereas people probably like your anti-corporate message *more* the simpler and less nuanced it gets. There's no portrayal of the evil corporation cartoonish enough that it won't read as an effective send up of real world corporate greed
These are all great thoughts and I have nothing to add except to quote it and say they're great thoughts!

Indeed. I guess the silver lining to the one man party is that they've already done a narrative where one person ends up obtaining all of the powers now and are unlikely to do that again for quite some time. Lest we forget, DMC5 ultimately had four playable characters! No doubt you could make a traditional party of five or six people, each with their own unique abilities :)
Yeah. I think it's also worth noting that, while the game is obviously inspired by DMC and the like, it doesn't have to be exactly that or hit quite that level of depth for each character. Like, its nice if it does, but I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping the character action combat relatively streamlined and easy to grasp. I think if you had a party of characters with a unique base moveset of around Clive's base complexity (that is, sans cooldowns), that would work fine. But they should definitely play differently from one another!

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Gameinformer interview with Yoshi-P and the game director about The Rising Tide:

www.gameinformer.com

Final Fantasy XVI: The Rising Tide Preview - DLC Dose Of Leviathan - Game Informer

We spoke to Final Fantasy XVI producer Naoki Yoshida and DLC director Takeo Kujiraoka about the upcoming Leviathan DLC.

Main takeaway is that the dlc will not alter or affect the ending of the main game
I'm actually glad for this. The ending is controversial, but its the one they chose and I don't like the idea of locking a "true" ending behind paid DLC.

Now if there's something in the DLC that gives us more information with which to interpret the ending, that could be great.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
Gameinformer interview with Yoshi-P and the game director about The Rising Tide:

www.gameinformer.com

Final Fantasy XVI: The Rising Tide Preview - DLC Dose Of Leviathan - Game Informer

We spoke to Final Fantasy XVI producer Naoki Yoshida and DLC director Takeo Kujiraoka about the upcoming Leviathan DLC.

Main takeaway is that the dlc will not alter or affect the ending of the main game
That's great to hear, that was one of my worries when it was first announced, and I think something that was said in one of the blog posts at the time kind of implied that it might change the ending. Aside from the fact that I like the original ending as-is, it just wouldn't feel right to have a new writer come in and "replace" what was there originally with something that could be taken as a more "true" ending. As much as I liked the dlc for XV, I never liked that aspect of it. Glad they won't be messing with what's already there this time. Adding additional context like this sounds to be doing is great though.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping other improvements come to the base game with the final DLC. They need to revamp the quest markers for one.

Really interested in how they'll tackle the new region and if they recorded a good amount of dialogue between the party.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping other improvements come to the base game with the final DLC. They need to revamp the quest markers for one.

Really interested in how they'll tackle the new region and if they recorded a good amount of dialogue between the party.
This is too big of a change to realistically expect, but after the first DLC added accessories with actual impactful, gameplay-altering effects, it'd be great if they could distribute other accessories like that throughout the main story. It was pretty boring just getting a ton of repetitive items to slightly reduce the cooldown time of a single ability, replacing some of them with stuff that makes coming up with a unique build and playstyle feel actually intersting and relevant would go a long way.

Jan 11, 2018
Fantastic. It's a top tier ending.

I'm of the opposite opinion. It's utter rubbish. Especially with how it treats Dion and Joshua but also the total lack of follow up to the characters you actually care about. "Your headcanon is the actual canon, because intentionally made it so that any interpretation is equally viable" is a terrible choice for an ending..

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I'm of the opposite opinion. It's utter rubbish. Especially with how it treats Dion and Joshua but also the total lack of follow up to the characters you actually care about. "Your headcanon is the actual canon, because intentionally made it so that any interpretation is equally viable" is a terrible choice for an ending..
🤷‍♂️ Characters are allowed to die. You're shown the direction of every major character's path. I don't need a "and then 5yrs later, everyone's smiling and even though it's tough out here, look more babies and the world is flourishing." Less is more.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
🤷‍♂️ Characters are allowed to die. You're shown the direction of every major character's path. I don't need a "and then 5yrs later, everyone's smiling and even though it's tough out here, look more babies and the world is flourishing." Less is more.

I know that's not a thing I had an issue with. I'd rather the ending be actually definitive instead of, as the person you are quoting mentioned, ambiguous to the point of being able to make your own headcannon out of whatever you want it to be. If the ending was "and then Clive died (or the opposite)" I would be happy with it. That they left it so open with lack of closure is what I didn't like. I was also hoping for them to do some extra work with it with the last dlc.

Well "happy" may be a push since I still would have liked more of an active roll with certain characters, but that is not my main issue with the ending, just the game overall.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
I feel like 16's ending hit this weird uncanny valley of giving us too much hope that Clive survived. Like, I think the ending would have hit way harder if all that was changed was showing Clive's sword wash up on the beach instead of him waking up, and then passing back out. Like I find it way more believable that he would die during the collapse of Origin and falling into the ocean than somehow miraculously surviving all of that, THEN dying from the bearer's curse after washing up on a beach. What's more annoying is that Clive went through the effort of spending a (presumably) fuck ton of magic to heal Joshua, then seemingly made no effort to make sure his body got to safety during Origin's collapse.

I think an ending that hits what 16 was going for perfectly (with nearly the same kind of story beats) is the ending to Mega Man Zero 4. Zero is on a space station plummeting to earth, he kills the final boss and blows up the space station before it can slam into the planet. Ciel, the main romantic interest for Zero through the whole series (although it's pretty much a one way crush on her part) runs outside to the night sky and sees the pieces of the space station burning up on re-entry. She prays for Zero to return to them. We then cut to dawn and Zero's helmet sticking out of a pile of space station rubble, severely damaged and with no sign of the rest of him. Did he survive the fall? Who knows. Credits. (We'll just ignore that ZX later confirms he died, lol).

Edit: Anyway, I'm excited for Rising Tide even though it's not going to change the ending. Maybe it'll provide us with a little more context for Ultima's plan (why wasn't Leviathan factored into it?). Perhaps we'll even be provided some hint that the Blight isn't going to inevitably consume the entire planet.

Jan 11, 2018
I know that's not a thing I had an issue with. I'd rather the ending be actually definitive instead of, as the person you are quoting mentioned, ambiguous to the point of being able to make your own headcannon out of whatever you want it to be.

Indeed. We actually don't know the canon fates of either Dion, Joshua or Clive.

There's no body for Dion, who fell from the same height as Clive who might have survived it without being a dragoon and despite being all spent. And characters have survived worse predicaments in this series before.

Joshua might have been revived. It's a bit weird to think Clive just tidied up his corpse before it would get blown to smithereens and left it at that, and you could absolutely interpret the book in the epilogue as having been written by him if you want to.

Clive might be dead. He started to turn to stone. If that ended with his arm, or if he was found, or whether his body had been pushed beyond his limits and paid the price for it, well... we don't know for sure. It's a Schrödinger's Clive ending. Rhe entire ending is basically baiting you into crying assuming he died, so it'd almost be insulting if he did survive? It felt very emotionally manipulative to me.

Heck, the entire epilogue can be read as "it was all a work of fiction within a work of fiction". The chances of that being the intention all along are slim, but it's absolutely a valid read of what's shown and it only adds to the ending not committing to anything and letting fans speculate for all eternity on what happened next.

And this is intentional. The Ultimania says there is no canon interpretation of the ending.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think there's a universal way all media should end or whatever, but I was perfectly happy with, here are some puzzle pieces, configure them however makes you happiest. In fact, it's that going one step further (mentioned as "uncanny valley" earlier) and deliberately leaves enough crumbs in either direction. I think that's a novel thing to have done.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's a universal way all media should end or whatever, but I was perfectly happy with, here are some puzzle pieces, configure them however makes you happiest.

Well it's all personal preference. For me that is literally my least liked way to do an ending since I want closure one way or the other. Make a choice and stand behind it. Warrior of Light covered all the ways they made sure to leave every single part open to just picking what you wanted to happen and that just isn't for me. In the same way that I don't engage in fanfiction and dislike shipping I have no desire to make up my own story and always prefer an ending that had an outcome I didn't want than one with no outcome/it left up to the reader/audience.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
XV and XVI are probably my favorite FF endings. All characters had their closure in terms of their narrative development, but not in the "what happened" sense. I usually go to stories to feel, not to "know", and those kind of ending always left a stronger feeling. For longer, multiple entry series (like multiple books or seasons) I usually prefer a clearer ending, but for a one off title like XVI I prefer the opposite.

It's probably not a satisfying kind of ending for some though, especially these days when there are loads of "ending explained" articles and videos pop up everytime there's a story ending. Not to mention IP holders actually trained people to expect explanations because they want consumers to keep engaging in expectation of sequels.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017

Been catching up, but this is a fantastic post. Thanks for summarizing many thoughts I had swimming in my head about FF7's messaging and this one's.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
XV and XVI are probably my favorite FF endings. All characters had their closure in terms of their narrative development, but not in the "what happened" sense. I usually go to stories to feel, not to "know", and those kind of ending always left a stronger feeling. For longer, multiple entry series (like multiple books or seasons) I usually prefer a clearer ending, but for a one off title like XVI I prefer the opposite.

It's probably not a satisfying kind of ending for some though, especially these days when there are loads of "ending explained" articles and videos pop up everytime there's a story ending. Not to mention IP holders actually trained people to expect explanations because they want consumers to keep engaging in expectation of sequels.

We know for sure Noctis is dead. He intentionally sacrificed himself. It's not ambiguous at all. It is a satisfying ending precisely because we know Noctis made a choice to make a better world for his friends, and we get to see he finds some semblance of peace when it's over.

Jan 11, 2018
It's not ambiguous at all. It is a satisfying ending precisely because we know Noctis made a choice to make a better world for his friends, and we get to see he finds some semblance of peace when it's over.

My biggest gripe with the XV ending is that the entire game focuses on the friendship, which is a highlight for many, and with the ending they focus on the almost non-existing romance subplot (perhaps the least believable romance of any mainline FF game, to the point where Noctis has more chemistry with pretty much everyone else including Sarah from the Terra wars collab). I would have preferred a touching reunion with his father to be honest, where they'd hug, Noctis would say "I'm home" and Regis would say "I'm proud of you". That would have been a full circle moment considering the opening of the game. The post-credits scene is what actually hits in the feels. Not the "two virgins get married in heaven" part.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah XV's ending was awful to me lol. Only thing redeeming about it was the campfire scene.

XVI's ending I'm mixed on. I don't like where it went based on the themes throughout the game. It was sort of cynical despite its ambiguity.

OG VII has the best ambiguous ending in the series to me.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah XV's ending was awful to me lol. Only thing redeeming about it was the campfire scene.

XVI's ending I'm mixed on. I don't like where it went based on the themes throughout the game. It was sort of cynical despite its ambiguity.

OG VII has the best ambiguous ending in the series to me.

Despite disagreeing with you vehemently regarding XV's ending, I can agree that VII has probably the best ending in the entire series.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017

e9pEjDK.jpeg
Why did they stop at VII, though? I've been reading stupid shit about VII from VI fans since I was posting on GameFAQs in the 90s and people still called it FF3. The amount of salt generated by Square going Nintendo to Sony is so legendary it's embarrassing to forget, honestly. Sure it goes back even further than that. The FF cycle somehow predates the entire series itself.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
15's ending was amazing but unearned. I would have loved that kind of ending for 16 since you actually had the relationship building between the leads that would have made it actually be effective. A major reason I have such a fondness for 15 is because I can see how much better it could have been if it was actually finished.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I'm loving Rebirth, but I found myself reinstalling XVI after so much discussion on it lately, haha. For all its issue, and it does have them, I really, really love this game.

15's ending was amazing but unearned. I would have loved that kind of ending for 16 since you actually had the relationship building between the leads that would have made it actually be effective. A major reason I have such a fondness for 15 is because I can see how much better it could have been if it was actually finished.
Yeah.

I have weird opinions on XV's story. For me, XV's ending was beautifully executed but seemed like it was just there for drama's sake, to jerk some tears from the audience just because. I don't know what Noctis's death adds to the story on a thematic level. For what seems like a coming of age story about a young prince being molded by war and his friends into becoming someone worthy of a throne, his death at the end seems... incongruent. You could argue that it's something along the lines of "he shows himself as a true king because he sacrifices himself for his land", and that's not *wrong* by any stretch, but explicit selfishness was never really Noct's character flaw. He was always willing to fight for his country. Noct's flaw is that he was too immature to properly lead. For me, a more fitting ending would have been Noctis properly saving the world and reclaiming the throne, but, in doing so, his relationship with his friends, now explicitly "under" him, would never quite be what it once was. That would be the bittersweetness of it all, Noctis learning and accepting the downsides of leadership and adult responsibilities. That feels like a more natural (if a bit cliche) ending to this kind of story for me.

On the other hand, I like Luna's death (though we absolutely should have gotten to know her more). Noct's journey is about growing up, and he's had this thing for Luna ever since he was a kid. But growing up is learning that you don't always get the life you expected as a child, and, indeed, Luna not only dies, but she dies saving Noct, an inverse of the "bold knight protects fair maiden" childhood fairy tale fantasy.

In contrast, I think XVI's ending is a bit clunky in its execution, but I love how it could be interpreted in various ways depending on how you read into the themes and story and side quests beats of XVI.

crimmy88

Aug 7, 2023
I'm loving Rebirth, but I found myself reinstalling XVI after so much discussion on it lately, haha. For all its issue, and it does have them, I really, really love this game.

Yeah.

I have weird opinions on XV's story. For me, XV's ending was beautifully executed but seemed like it was just there for drama's sake, to jerk some tears from the audience just because. I don't know what Noctis's death adds to the story on a thematic level. For what seems like a coming of age story about a young prince being molded by war and his friends into becoming someone worthy of a throne, his death at the end seems... incongruent. You could argue that it's something along the lines of "he shows himself as a true king because he sacrifices himself for his land", and that's not *wrong* by any stretch, but explicit selfishness was never really Noct's character flaw. He was always willing to fight for his country. Noct's flaw is that he was too immature to properly lead. For me, a more fitting ending would have been Noctis properly saving the world and reclaiming the throne, but, in doing so, his relationship with his friends, now explicitly "under" him, would never quite be what it once was. That would be the bittersweetness of it all, Noctis learning and accepting the downsides of leadership and adult responsibilities. That feels like a more natural (if a bit cliche) ending to this kind of story for me.

On the other hand, I like Luna's death (though we absolutely should have gotten to know her more). Noct's journey is about growing up, and he's had this thing for Luna ever since he was a kid. But growing up is learning that you don't always get the life you expected as a child, and, indeed, Luna not only dies, but she dies saving Noct, an inverse of the "bold knight protects fair maiden" childhood fairy tale fantasy.

In contrast, I think XVI's ending is a bit clunky in its execution, but I love how it could be interpreted in various ways depending on how you read into the themes and story and side quests beats of XVI.

I have the same feeling re: Rebirth and XVI. Even though im still not done with my Rebirth playthrough, I still do ultimaniac runs from time to time. I really like the combat of XVI and how it feels.

For XV, thematically, its very much the opposite of XVI's overarching theme of fate vs. choice. What I loved about XV's story is how unique it was in choosing to accept fate. If I remember correctly, there was no struggle for anyone around Noctis, including his dad, in accepting Noctis' destiny. Everyone knew it and chose not to fight fate. It was very interesting because they somehow made it work and in a way, made it even more tragic and heroic. I may be misremembering but this is how I recall XV's story. Please correct me if im wrong lol.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I have the same feeling re: Rebirth and XVI. Even though im still not done with my Rebirth playthrough, I still do ultimaniac runs from time to time. I really like the combat of XVI and how it feels.
Everyone in my thread on the gaming side right now is just fighting over which combat system is better or deeper and here I am loving that they both aim for completely different things.

For XV, thematically, its very much the opposite of XVI's overarching theme of fate vs. choice. What I loved about XV's story is how unique it was in choosing to accept fate. If I remember correctly, there was no struggle for anyone around Noctis, including his dad, in accepting Noctis' destiny. Everyone knew it and chose not to fight fate. It was very interesting because they somehow made it work and in a way, made it even more tragic and heroic. I may be misremembering but this is how I recall XV's story. Please correct me if im wrong lol.
I'm in no state to correct anyone on XV. I didn't care for the game personally (but it's perfectly okay if other people did!), so I'm not too invested in the details of its story! That said, I've heard the topics of fate and predestination brought up in regards to XV's story a lot and its interesting that I completely missed that thematic throughline in it. If I ever do revisit it, I will need to approach it with that in mind.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
After finishing Rebirth I decided to go back to this game because I never finished all the side content back during release. Also wanted to dive into the first DLC before Ronin and DD2.

Honestly, I was sort of disappointed with the game when it first released for varioues reasons. It sure has some problems with pacing and exploration but damn it still is a really good game despite that. Very excited for the second DLC (Stream today!) and also a Final Fantasy run after that. One thing I really hope the DLC (or update) address though is the gloomy atmosphere... It was hell doing all the side content with everything looking so dark and with the same music playing everywhere...

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
After finishing Rebirth I decided to go back to this game because I never finished all the side content back during release. Also wanted to dive into the first DLC before Ronin and DD2.

Honestly, I was sort of disappointed with the game when it first released for varioues reasons. It sure has some problems with pacing and exploration but damn it still is a really good game despite that. Very excited for the second DLC (Stream today!) and also a Final Fantasy run after that. One thing I really hope the DLC (or update) address though is the gloomy atmosphere... It was hell doing all the side content with everything looking so dark and with the same music playing everywhere...

They actually said they added more
blue skies
because people complained they couldn't get good photos for like 2/3rds of the game lol. I think that's addressed.

Hoping for an early April release along with the XVI event in XIV. I'm still like 70% on Rebirth so the thought of hopping to it right after I finish Rebirth is very nice.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What time is the stream today? I'm really hype to see more, I wonder if they're gonna do a patch with the DLC to add some more costumes or little features like Inner Voices.