• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy XVI was officially revealed last September, during a PS5 showcase stream. The trailer mentioned that the game would also be available on PC (the footage was even from the PC version). Given that, I think most people expect the game to be released day and date with the PS5 version, but it seems that's not going to be the case.

PlayStation launched today a new ad in Brazil focused on PS5 console exclusives, featuring Godfall, Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo and FF XVI. For the first 3 games, they mention that the PC version is avaliable day and date with the PS5, and even disclose the exclusivity window (6 months for Godfall and 1 year each for Bethesda's games).

For XVI, the wording is completely different. "Final Fantasy XVI not available on other platforms for a limited time after the release on PS5". It's curious that they also don't disclose the exclusivity window, like the other games. Even Project Athia, also from Square Enix, had its exclusivity period revealed (2 years).

Here's the video, directly from PlayStation on Facebook:

ps1.png

ps2.png

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Might be true but I never take fine print of social media team advertisements as confirmation

zolee

Oct 2, 2020
it's funny because earlier it says it's captured on PC, at least from my mucho understanding of Spanish

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Lame as fuck. I could have sworn there was some recent showing that said release is day and date.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't expect day and date sadly, still gonna hold off until though .

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Who even knows. The next piece of media might contradict this one.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I'm okay with it only because at this point my PS5 is much better than my current PC and will be for about 2 to 3 years unless a nice bag of money falls on the lap.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
at this point, no one should be playing a FF day and date

its always a complete game a year or two later

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
With Sony being so open with PC ports it's crazy how they're still moneyhatting timed third party exclusives. Time to take after Microsoft and see the platform as an asset, not as a competitor.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Sony being so open with PC ports it's crazy how they're still moneyhatting timed third party exclusives. Time to take after Microsoft and see the platform as an asset, not as a competitor.

It's pretty much a case by case thing where they want certain things full exclusive for a time and others day and date with PC at least.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
at this point, no one should be playing a FF day and date

its always a complete game a year or two later

Final Fantasy VII Remake didn't get a single update for months...and what it got so far has been minor.

As far as i know only FFXV and FFXIV had development issues. On a gaming series that's been going on since the 80's.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
FF16 was announced for PC and PS5 OR it mentioned a PC version in the trailer and then funnily enough Square removed the PC mentions from the trailer when it was uploaded or reuploaded. Yeah its likely not coming to PC day and date after that. 6 months or 12 months later. Sucks because 16's combat didn't seem turn based so i wanted to actually play it since i typically hate turn based games but well what can you do with scummy 3rd party moneyhats? Definitely not a full price purchase even if i had the money for it lol.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VII Remake didn't get a single update for months...and what it got so far has been minor.

As far as i know only FFXV and FFXIV had development issues. On a gaming series that's been going on since the 80's.
It still has that game freeze in the Shinra tower, right? Lol

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Didn't the original reveal just say "*Also available on PC," before it got replaced with a PS5 logo? I don't think they ever mentioned the exclusivity period.
No, it specifically mentioned 6 months for PC. My memory is hazier on this but I'm fairly certain it also mentioned 12 months for other platforms.

EDIT: Actually that may have been mentioned by someone on twitter. The reveal at the very least mentioned the temporary nature of the PS5 exclusivity.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Pretty sure we already knew this. Some prominent reporter said it'd be exclusive for 6 months.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm still annoyed that they initially announced that it was also coming to PC. Super misleading, even if it was a mistake. This is one of the big reasons I bit the bullet and got a PS5. FF games are console games for me anyways, but I would've considered waiting on the PS5 if not for the bait and switch.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
Is FFVIIR even coming out on PC? The one year exclusivity deal is about to be over

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
You are probably right, but I can't just take sony slideshows serious anymore 😂😂

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ugh hopefully there are more and better games on PS5 by then and the thing even be easily buyable. Hoped I could push it even further, but I guess not.