• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
So basically, the final report is; they still have no clue what happened after four years of investigating.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...-report-released-by-malaysian-government-live
My colleague Naaman Zhou has been following the story of MH370 throughout the search for the missing plane, he has this analysis of today's report:

Very little in today's report is new.

However, there are a few small revelations that will be interesting to the family members and next of kin.
The first is that MH370's emergency locator transmitters (ELT) all malfunctioned.

ELTs are supposed to transmit distress signals that could have helped locate the plane, but all four of MH370's ELTs failed. Their batteries were within their expiry dates, but for whatever reason, no signal was sent out.

The report found that "there have been reported difficulties with ELT signals if an aircraft enters the water ... In these instances, the ELT does not activate, or the transmission is ineffective as a result of being submerged."
The second is about mangosteens and batteries.

MH370 was carrying 4,566 kg of mangosteens and 221 kg of lithium-ion batteries in its cargo hold. It has long been speculated that this could have sparked a fire that led to the crash.
The report today rejects this theory – but the analysis is based only by looking at previous battery and mangosteen shipments.

The fine details confirm that the battery shipment did not go through x-ray screening on the day of the flight because "there were no available x-ray machines large enough". Larger machines were installed a few months after MH370 disappeared.

This could raise questions about whether a battery malfunction, or improper packing, could have led to the crash.

Oct 27, 2017
When I heard this on the radio and they said new report but all the info was the same, I was disappointed and can't imagine how the family's of the victims feel.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Is it still plausible at all that the shipment of batteries 'malfunctioning or exploding' could be the cause?

Not one brief 'Mayday' burst from the pilot and pings indicating the plane was way off course for many hours before going dark.

I'm of the opinion it wasn't the pilot either. Too many variables don't add up.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Does a fire explain the assumed flight path and airtime? Seemed like it would have been downed a lot faster. Also wouldn't some kind of distress signal have been sent out assuming the fire didn't somehow rapidly disable the pilots?

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do mangosteens have to do with any of that ? They're saying it's what could have made the batteries explode ?