• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To quote the protagonist, 'What the motherlovin' crap is "Final Space"?'

Final Space is about the sole crew member and prisoner aboard the Galaxy One named Gary, who is serving out a 5 year sentence for destroying 92 star cruisers and a small family-owned Mexican restaurant, and stumbles upon a galactic conspiracy after adopting a pet facehugger named Mooncake.

tenor.gif

A lot of popular adult cartoons will segue to intermittent scenes of "feels" or emotional insight. This one segues to scenes of surprisingly badass action moments. There was a free pilot put up on Youtube last year, but I found it rather laugh-free. Recently binged the first season and it was great. A lot of well-developed secondary characters. The cast and humour put me in the same mind as the Batman, Robin, and Batgirl banter from the Lego movie. It has David Tennant as the villain and Ron Perlman puts in an appearance. It goes full Lovecraft by the end.

It's exactly what I'd want out of a Han Solo movie. The creator has a whole bunch of shorts/pitches on his Youtube channel, including a Star Wars one, but like the Final Space pilot it has a core of competency but the execution just seems off, so maybe Final Space is the result of a team effort?

If you want a concentrated shot of adrenaline and comedy I'd recommend this. First ep can be a bit slow but would recommend watching to the end of episode 3 to see if you like it.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I've only seen a few episodes and really did enjoy it. I too recommend to give it a chance.

Last edited:

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't make it through 10 minutes of the pilot. Found it painfully unfunny, though the animation was fairly nice. While I know I jumped out too early, there's too much other stuff out there.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I like everyone in this show but gary and that makes it annoying. Like everyone elses backstory is pretty awesome and could be explored but gary is like this total idiot and it annoys me to no end.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I like everyone in this show but gary and that makes it annoying. Like everyone elses backstory is pretty awesome and could be explored but gary is like this total idiot and it annoys me to no end.

Gary is also my most disliked character. Kevin and Tribore are also annoying as well. I'm still liking the show overall though. Mostly for the drama and adventure cause the comedic bits aren't as strong to me.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Gary is also my most disliked character. Kevin and Tribore are also annoying as well. I'm still liking the show overall though. Mostly for the drama and adventure cause the comedic bits aren't as strong to me.
Gary is the love child of those two. like i could deal with kevin or tribore but as stupid as gary is its so annoying. They only really needed like one person for comic relief which couldve just been kevin.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Gary is the love child of those two. like i could deal with kevin or tribore but as stupid as gary is its so annoying. They only really needed like one person for comic relief which couldve just been kevin.

Yeah I think that is true. It probably should have been Kevin. Especially since his amount of screen time would be great for it. Also don't like that the voice acting for Gary has him yelling randomly. Reminds me of the show Archer in that sense and its bothersome on both shows. Still a good show but wish they got more episodes to flesh stuff out more.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The dialogue, across the board, is terrible.

But there are some scenes in this show that are REALLY REALLY well done. The scene where they're using the solar generator on the sun is kind of amazing.

Mooncake has Catbug levels of meaningless attachment.

David Tennett is pretty good, considering he's not in the show very much.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I think that is true. It probably should have been Kevin. Especially since his amount of screen time would be great for it. Also don't like that the voice acting for Gary has him yelling randomly. Reminds me of the show Archer in that sense and its bothersome on both shows. Still a good show but wish they got more episodes to flesh stuff out more.
right like the Lord Commander, Avacato and his son and Quinn, id even love if it was more about avacato and his son as the shows headliner thats a rich area there. but like you said it has way less seriousness in it and all this is just a backdrop which sucks.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Gary sucks. I'll give the show a lot of credit for giving him a lot of rather emotional scenes and it working because Gary tries his hardest to fuck them up. He does have his moments where I do really enjoy him like when he
and his dad beat up the Lord Commander's past self while he's frozen in time.

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like you're supposed to view Gary as Quinn does at first, as overbearing and annoying. But as we spend more time with him, how his absolute sincerity/loyalty breaks down all the characters misconceptions of him, that's where he clicked for me. Gary is like Paddington + one of Jim Carrey's more zany roles.

Oct 28, 2017
Currently on episode 7, I started out seeing this show as mediocre but it has incrementally gotten better.

Final Space reminds me of the first season of Bojack Horseman only with better animation. The main character even sounds like Will Arnett

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn
cliffhanger ending.
Also
Kevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Watched those clips in the op and I'm in. Never heard of this show before now.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This just showed up on UK netflix, and all I'm wondering is how they can steal Saturn Girls costume so blatantly
e962b12732345b7a8bfec064e7aa22cb.jpg

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
Just showed up on my Netflix in Australia now as well. Checking it out, feel like I'll give it 2-3 eps to hook me

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw the first 10 minutes and then turned it off. It feels a lot like that game, Broken Age. Only with worse writing and Rick and Morty style visuals.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Why is this not available on any American streaming services outside of episode purchases?

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
I just finished watching. God damn what a ride.

Enjoyed it a lot.
Good to hear, I'm about halfway through I feel I'm tolerating the characters better as it goes on or maybe I just know what to expect from them now but at first the personalities were just that far over the top but I love the progression from each episode and it's a nice show to watch without thinking too hard.

Horrible intro though. So ugly and bad

Tortfeasor

Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
It was really great. The first episode was disappointing but once you make it past, it really open up in a great way and is epic by the end. I hope we get more.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
I am soo tired of these white Dunning-Kruger characters like Gary, meaning apparently incompetent guys who act way overconfident because they don't realize how stupid they are.

There are some great moments within the show, and it is an overall enjoyable ride. And the show even subverts this annoying character trope (somewhat, sometimes), but there is still way too much of this trope played straight to sour the whole experience for me. It's just lazy writing at this point.

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
I am soo tired of these white Dunning-Kruger characters like Gary, meaning apparently incompetent guys who act way overconfident because they don't realize how stupid they are.

There are some great moments within the show, and it is an overall enjoyable ride. And the show even subverts this annoying character trope (somewhat, sometimes), but there is still way too much of this trope played straight to sour the whole experience for me. It's just lazy writing at this point.

Yeah I finished it now and I like the overarching storyline but decided the characters were the weak point. Completely agree with your points

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Great-looking show. Not funny at all. Rick and Morty and LEGO Batman have compelling, watchable protagonists. This has the opposite of that.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
it's good, but not really outstandingly so, so far
Gary needs to be re-written, he has some good moments but mostly the character stays annoying until the end

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
just saw it on Netflix and added it to my list. I hope I enjoy it, dont think it will reach the level of enjoyment as RM for me tho

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
it's good, but not really outstandingly so, so far
Gary needs to be re-written, he has some good moments but mostly the character stays annoying until the end

I think that's the point of Gary's character though, you're not meant to properly like him, just tolerate him. You see him through the lense of all the other characters (in where he appears to be annoying, insane and stupid). He has moments of genius, but most of the time it's just him having a lot of misplaced confidence in himself.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Blitzed the whole thing in one sitting. I loved it. I really wasn't sure at first. The jokes were hit and miss. It had some really childish jokes in it that were pretty off putting at the start, but as the show went on it started to work.

The big thing for me was getting over the hurdle that this a kids show. It get's crazy violent and some of the things that take place are pretty graphic.

What I ended up enjoying in the who the most was how heartfelt the story was. You get attached to characters and when things happen and those characters are no longer there, you're kind of just struck the same way the other characters are at that persons loss. The show comes across as this run of the mill, each episode a new crazy adventure, but then a character
dies
and you are just waiting for the reset that puts everything back to normal. Except it doesn't happen and i did feel bad when I realised this.

The only way to describe this is as a heartfelt sci-fi comedy. In a lot of ways, this show has told a better star trek story than any of the films or recent series. I highly recommend a watch. It's only about 4 hours long I think and is one of the better things to come out on Netflix.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the animation is great, but I haven't chuckled once. Just saw episode 1

Last edited:

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Finished it yesterday; the humor is a bit hit or miss; but the story was fun and the dramatic stuff was very well done. Even if some of the jokes suck, I think it's one of the better "scifi series" out there at this moment.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, also saw this on Netflix, ended up binging the whole thing and I really liked it. The humour doesn't always hit and some characters can be annoying but I thought it was a really good sci-fi show. I'm super interested to see where the show goes and I love Mooncake, he/she/it is so cute!

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Watched the first two episodes, won't continue. The humor and dialogue were a MASSIVE miss for me, like goddamn I couldn't wait for these characters to shut up.

basefree

Jan 24, 2018
Add me to the weekend binge club. Took me by surprise just how much I enjoyed it, I loved the story arc and the characters - and yes it wasn't laugh-out-loud funny like some of the competition out there, but it had so much charm.

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, this show is awful. Some of the least funny jokes I've ever heard and the lead guy's delivery of lines makes me cringe like crazy.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I like that it is the flipside of "Only sane man", everyone is hyper competent except the lead dude