• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Resolution is completely dependent on the side of the screen.

A 4k 23" screen is silly but a 65" 1080p screen is also silly.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Eh, the way I see it, 1080 to 4K is a huge leap in image quality.

To me, even under constraint of hardware, effects still tend to look pretty excellent and portray otherworldly and stylized elements in a way that is completely satisfactory and sometimes awe-inspiring. Offering higher clarity of those effects at their current fidelity via increased resolution is a better overall net gain to the images being portrayed than to trying to allocate processing power to making particles look great. I think raytracing is the only technology I've been exposed to that looks like it has as profound an image quality boost by way of "effect" that matches that of increased resolution, and it's still early (and very expensive -- beyond accessibility to the console space right now) in the consumer market for wide adoption.

I think we have a perfectly fine balanced look as far as consoles go atm. PS4 Pro and Xbox One X might not always hit native 4K resolution, but I think seeing games like Resident Evil 2 get much closer to locking in a 60fps vs the base consoles is good, and then they also feature a pretty good reconstruction method for 4K output that to my eye undoubtedly improves image quality overall, and I'm perfectly satisfied with the quality of effects and lighting in that game. I know that's a single example and not all-inclusive of the entire picture, but I think developers tend to hit a similar mark more often than not utilizing the mid-generation refresh of consoles, and yes, 4K resolution output (even through reconstruction) often tends to be a goal because it's the most generalized means of achieving elevated image quality within constraints.

As far as varied content consumption goes, I think we're better for going after 4K -- a decision to buy a 4K TV didn't revolve solely around gaming for me, and I have really enjoyed consuming passive content like movies and streaming at a higher resolution with HDR. It's improved everything I consume, not just the games. 4K is worth it, then -- staying at 1080/1440p really only sees the benefit to gaming, and I think that's a good reason that PC gaming is kinda more focused there rather than console gaming... Because they usually are set up to have their own devoted monitor and space in most households.

My 4K TV is meant to provide the image quality boost to ALL content, videogames and passive forms of media, and I think PS4 Pro and Xbox One X in the console space honestly deserve a lot more credit for finding a really good balance for fitting into that home theater space in the here and now of market realities and hardware constraints.

I know gaming-specific advancements are available via PC right now, and that tech tends to scale well, but I don't think we're at a point where we can see consoles move forward with a big shift in focus on how their processing limitations are used to portray games until we can find more comprehensive trends that gaming console users are moving their console usage out of a mixed-media environment and demand for features like high refresh rate (120Hz+) and optimizing for low resolution for improved effects is actually preferred by console gamers.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be a hard disagree. Got a PS4 Pro connected to an LG B7 at home and a PS4 Slim connected to a Sony 1080p tv at work and it is a night and day difference.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Baccus Put this vid in the OP along with the screenshots below. It's a waste of rendering resources that could be better spent on effects, higher framerate, etc. I'd take a checkerboard solution or straight 1440p and (60 fps or better effects) over just 4k.

Tiago Sousa agrees with you btw:
tiagoscorpioe4saz.png

doom1huqbr.png
4K (and 8K) resolutions, in the living room, are most beneficial with large screens. Tiago is quite wrong to not even consider this; distance matters not, it's the size of the screen. The larger screens get the more detail they can show that can be appreciable by the viewer.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with 4K on consoles is that most people have consoles in the living room and most people don't have the TV right infront of the sofa but rather at the opposite side of the living room like 3-4+ meters away.
4K on PC makes much more sense since you usually sit by a desk less than a meter from the screen.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I dont have a 4KTV but I played some Pro in a KS8000 and I kinda agree OP. It didnt feel as much of a jump, and not everyone can waste +2k € in a OLED TV.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How far away from the TV are you sitting? At certain distances, given the size of your TV, the difference between 1080p and 4k is hard to notice.
OP isn't saying there is no difference, they're saying higher resolutions hold graphical advancements back, basically you now have PS3 games with blown up resolutions instead of really revolutionary new rendering techniques and also physics advancements.
Basically what it is is snake oil in pure form, and many, many fall for it.

Or they're just content with current graphical fidelity and just want higher resolutions for the sake of it?

I know for certain I would take more realistic looking textures and better physics at 1080p over same shit as always in 4k any day.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understasnd how someone could look at a RDR2 or a Forza Horizon 4 in native 4K and say that it's visually lacking.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
What dawned on me is that next gen, with consoles probably targeting native 4K, we're not getting the generational leap we could have had if devs had stayed on 1080p or the much more healthy middle of 1440p. The jump in power previously used to advance lighting, polygons and calculations are now being used to stretch the image with negligible difference in "realism".

After getting a 4K TV, and seeing games in 4K, I also think it's a waste of rendering resources, and 1440p with better performance or other uses of the power is a much better tradeoff.

I think jumping straight from a typical 1080p straight to 4K has too big of a hit.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
4K is a huge improvement over 1080p. I don't understand how people cannot see the difference. It's literally 4 times the pixels!

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Difference is massive on a big screen, hell its even massive on a pc monitor. PS4 Pro has very few games with native 4K though so on most titles it wont be as noticeable as it should be.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
Sorry OP but the NU7000 series is a pretty crap low end TV. Check out a Q8 or Q9 and tell me the same thing.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
My Switch looks blurry AF compared to my PS4 Pro on my 65" OLED.

I think it'd be a waste to put the resources used to render the additional pixels for 4k into rendering a blurry mess of an image.

IQ above all please!

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Some games look better than others. Play Horizon and let it blow your mind. Horizon is the best looking game this generation (on consoles).

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It one of those after a day you don't notice the difference, then you step back to HD and you notice the difference.

So yeah I'm kinda glad I did upgrade everything but it was only to satisfy my own craving for the latest tech

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have an OLED and an X1X. When I saw the water in Sea of Thieves my jaw dropped. Not every game takes advantage of 4K HDR but when they do it's the most stunning visuals I have ever seen. Shadow of the Tomb Raider really impressed me too.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I know for certain I would take more realistic looking textures and better physics at 1080p over same shit as always in 4k any day.
Greebman brought up the very reason why this shouldn't (and won't) ever be the case. There is no point to an increase in detail if that detail cannot be seen.

Additional geometry and higher res textures need higher screen res to resolve. Detail and resolution go hand in hand. At sub native the impact of better effects will always be diminished.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
You bought a LED tv and not a OLED there your problem good sir, but to each his own but seriously my jump to 4K OLED HDR makes is so worth it insane how good it looks.
Op is not talking about OLED or HDR tho, he's talking about the fact that he doesn't see much detail being brought out by higher resolution on current gen games.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Also for PC, a 4k display with at least 144hz and HDR must be rare or expensive. I guess if it's Gsync it's just expensive and not rare though since it has some FPGA controller to take care of some of the load.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
4K is a huge improvement over 1080p. I don't understand how people cannot see the difference. It's literally 4 times the pixels!

I don't think anyone is saying that a 4K image is not a huge improvement over 1080p in terms of image quality, as it obviously is. Just that the jump comes at a huge hit, which not everyone prefers instead of a smoother game or other improvements at 1080p or 1440p.

ADee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I really like playing in 4k rather than 1080p, however I do also agree with OP.
Framerate has always been more important for me, and now when 144hz TVs are getting into the market then I'd rather have that everyday of the week on consoles (or atleast let me choose what's my preference).
Most of the games I play on the computer can be played in 4k in 144hz thanks to my computer, but since consoles are a closed system and they need to make sacrifices then skip 4k and make the games run better instead.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I like it.....but for games specifically it's probably a waste of resources. I think most resolutions about 1080 look really nice, and don't feel the need for actual 4K. Even.......checkerboarding! Yep, I like the clarity there too.

Folks I've talked to who make games think it's a waste, which changed my mind, but that there's a marketing plus is saying your support higher resolutions.

Personally, I really hope we never do one of these jumps again. 4K is clear enough. Framerates, effects, and AI need to eat too.
If someone's game does 1080 with good AA, I'm cool with that too. Whatever RE2 is running at on PS4 Pro is good enough for me.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry OP but the NU7000 series is a pretty crap low end TV. Check out a Q8 or Q9 and tell me the same thing.

OP has an NU7000?

Things are starting to make more sense. It's the lowest end Samsung 4k TV, so you can't really expect much from it, especially if he had a decent 1080p TV before.

Last edited:

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone is saying that a 4K image is not a huge improvement over 1080p in terms of image quality, as it obviously is. Just that the jump comes at a huge hit, which not everyone prefers instead of a smoother game or other improvements at 1080p or 1440p.

Many people are saying you can't see the difference.

What's the point in having high fidelity graphics at 1080p image quality?

I think RDR2 is the best looking game out there and I tried playing it at 1080p and holyshit what a downgrade that was.

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
4K (and 8K) resolutions, in the living room, are most beneficial with large screens. Tiago is quite wrong to not even consider this; distance matters not, it's the size of the screen. The larger screens get the more detail they can show that can be appreciable by the viewer.
Tiago is not wrong at all. 4k does not improve the graphics in anyway imo. I have a sony x900e and a 27" 1080p Samsung CFG73 VA monitor. Playing Starwars BF2 on the Xbox One X looks noticeably worse than playing the SWBF2 on my CFG73 at max settings and 144hz.

EDIT: Higher resolutions on bigger screens are beneficial but spending limited computational resources to render at native 4k is a waste. There are checker-boarding and temporal injection techniques that can deliver image quality suitable for 4k screens. Rendering at native 4k on a console is a giant waste of resources.

Tiamat

Nov 16, 2017
Well for me it's a game changer.
Even before I had an oled.
Give me this crisp graphics!

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like all that GPU power thats is pushing all that raw pixels is being wasted in most games anyway since the game dev then slaps some blury ass FX or TAA over it.

I feel like I would rather have a 1440p image with greater graphical fidelity or the extra power put into things to eliminate pop in and frame drops.

Nov 8, 2017
The big jump is HDR. The model you bought, (NU7100) has iffy HDR and no local dimming. That model is at a great price for its size, but I wouldn't discount all 4K tv's based on the performance of the NU7100. The Samsung Q8 and Q9 are stunning as is the Sony 900F in the LCD category.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Anyone that says 4K makes no difference needs to play halo 5 in 4K. Night and day difference. I'll agree that some games the difference is marginal but others it's huge.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I bet 1080p on a 4k tv looks bad for sure. Native res is the reason I won't try to future proof my PC setup with a 4k display. I'd want everything to be at least native resolution or easily notice the difference with sub native. I tried this with having a ton of mods in Skyrim. I'd sometimes lower the resolution to fit in 50 other mods. Those were the days, grass mods, and TES5 still looks neat with a ton of mods.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to disagree with you on this one. Going from 1080p to 4k was a massive jump in image quality. Games like Halo 2: Anniversary, Halo 5, Gears of War 4, Destiny 2 look so much better than they did when running at 1080p.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The big jump is HDR. The model you bought, (NU7100) has iffy HDR and no local dimming. That model is at a great price for its size, but I wouldn't discount all 4K tv's based on the performance of the NU7100. The Samsung Q8 and Q9 are stunning as is the Sony 900F in the LCD category.

Yea, its crazy to judge 4k as not worth it when all their experience is with the the lowest end budget 4k TV Samsung has in its line up.

Jun 22, 2018
Go play Red Dead Redemption 1 on an Xbox 360 or PS3. Then play it on an X1X in 4K.

You'll immediately see how the higher render resolution allows the EXISTING detail of the textures to really come through. Without the higher render resolution, extra texture detail is just lost.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm kind of with the OP, I don't have a 4k screen myself but from what I've seen it doesn't really warrant the huge amount of resources you have to put into it for now. I really wonder if the difference for many people is that big because it wasn't exactly an apples to apples comparison. A fairer comparison would be between a 24-27" 1080p OLED HDR screen and a 32"+ 4k OLED HDR screen, I'm not saying that 4k isn't a improvement but I wager it was such a big improvement for most people as many 4k HDR screens are simple way better screens in a technological sense compared to most 1080p screens so what creates the good image isn't "just" the resolution bump.

Don't get me wrong we absolutely should go 4k at some point but I feel atleast for video-games we again moved one gear too fast. I know the TV manufacturers don't go after the video-game industry but in my opinion the PS3/360 generation should have stuck to 720p with 720p screens, the base PS4 and XB1S should have aimed for 720p 60fps, the PS4 Pro and XB1X for 1080p proper and then now with next-gen we should have aimed for 4k. I think that would have led to a much more painless and smooth transition to higher resolutions, especially also with the rising development costs.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like all that GPU power thats is pushing all that raw pixels is being wasted in most games anyway since the game dev then slaps some blury ass FX or TAA over it.

Yeah, this is especially irritating. DMC5 on Xbox One comes to mind from what we've seen of the demos.

Many people are saying you can't see the difference.

What's the point in having high fidelity graphics at 1080p image quality?

I think RDR2 is the best looking game out there and I tried playing it at 1080p and holyshit what a downgrade that was.

Of course it's going to look worse if everything else is the same except for the resolution. If devs drop resolution and don't use the extra processing power for other stuff, then it is pointless, but that's not the argument being made.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you. I'm playing Spiderman on a base ps4 on a 4k tv and it looks good enough to me. I wish next gen systems would target 1080p 60fps with raytracing rather than 4k.

I thought the jump from playing 900p Spider-man on my 4k TV to playing it via my PS4 Pro when I upgraded was massive personally. A big jump. I'd love a 60fps mode obviously but optional.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Yea. Developers should definitely focus on getting a smooth framerate first (not lower than 60fps) before deciding to do anything else. Framerate directly impacts how a game PLAYS, FEELS, CONTROLS and on top of it how it LOOKS in motion.

Games are controllable mediums with moving images. Since framerate impacts both controls and moving image quality it should always be the no. 1 priority, for every game genre.

Even navigating through a turn based RPG menu feels inherently smoother in high framerates.

So it matters when it's convenient for you? This argument dumb as fuck, 4x the amount of detail is always going to be better.
For still images, yes. But not when the game still runs in 30fps and all the details get blurry once the image starts moving.

Basically this:
FH4 looks a million times better in the 1080p performance mode at 60fps than the motion blurred 30fps stuttering 4K mode.
1080p 60fps > 4k 30fps. More noticeable difference
Of course if you can get both that's nice
Framerate always trumps resolution, for sure. But, 4k looks so much fucking sharper. Even 1440p is a huge improvement over 1080p. But, yeah, absolutely take 60fps over a higher resolution.

Last edited:

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
There is certainly a difference, not as much as many people make it sounds, but it can not be denied.

At the same time, I wish next gen would focus more on 1440p than 4K, but at 60fps. I for one wish the Switch PRO at the very least can increase everything to 1080p at 60fps.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greebman brought up the very reason why this shouldn't (and won't) ever be the case. There is no point to an increase in detail if that detail cannot be seen.
Not at all what I was arguing, in simple words, if you can't fix clipping, unrealistically behaving physics, etc there's no reason to increase resolution, it only amplifies the flaws.
Also I don't think it's true we're anywhere near the maximum of graphical fidelity at 1080p or any given resolution when a game like RE2 looks so much better than other comparable games, it truly looks next gen to me and that's not primarily because of screen resolution, because that didn't really change.

So that game alone disproves the theory we are somehow at a maximum of render techniques because of screen resolutions.

Tldr: fix the clipping, fix the physics, improve lighting etc, then maximize screen resolutions.

I know it's not happening but it's also the reason why graphics generally are in stagnation, maybe next gen will improve things, but we aren't there just yet, and saying resolution alone will fix all those issues is disingenuous in my opinion.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am pleased with movie quality on my 4K HDR tv, but with games, the added definition hasn't really been mindblowing, and I value the X more for the frame rate boosts than the resolution ones.

OP
OP
Baccus

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Additional geometry and higher res textures need higher screen res to resolve. Detail and resolution go hand in hand. At sub native the impact of better effects will always be diminished.
Then why do 480p TV broadcasts look more detailed than your average 4k game? That is false.