• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I feel like even the PS4's menu is noticeably more vibrant and beautiful in 4K on the Pro than in 1080p. The games are even moreso.

*waits for someone to tell me the menu isn't rendered at 4k and it's my imagination*

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Yeah I like my games being blurry too.
I'm sure you're being snarky but a game designed for 720p or lower generally looks pretty damn bad at 2k and 4k. All those low res assets in perfect clarity. It's like the Onimusha rerelease where you have this super high res models on a low res background, doesn't look nearly as good as when the 3d and 2d are at a closer lower res.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure you're being snarky but a game designed for 720p or lower generally looks pretty damn bad at 2k and 4k. All those low res assets in perfect clarity. It's like the Onimusha rerelease where you have this super high res models on a low res background, doesn't look nearly as good as when the 3d and 2d are at a closer lower res.
I was fucking around. I know what you mean. You can def tell but there is some charm to it I think. Seeing these games at a super high res maxed out at 60 is pretty neat sometimes.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I am of the same opinion as OP. Graphical effects give a much larger impression. And he is also correct that an old SDTV TV broadcast looks far better than any 4K video game today.

On the other hand, the light 'info' that goes into a SDTV camera is far greater than a 4K resolution. It's like turning on 1000x super sampling.

But really even a 'screen door' and aliased looking video of real life looks much better because of the visual fidelity that can only be reproduced with raytracing in games.

Most people will just reject the notion of better visual effects until they show up on next-next gen consoles in 2030, but for now I'll be playing my super-fidelity games at lower resolutions. Clarity is nice but fidelity is preferable.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Huge difference between 1080p and 4k hell there is big difference between 1440p and 1080p. The image's look much sharper with better quality.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
People bring up HDR like it is tied to 4K, it's not. You can have 1080p 120Hz with HDR.

The whole problem is that most people don't have TVs that are bigger than 55 and they don't sit in the optimal viewing distance either, they probably sit a lot farther so the increase in resolution isn't that appreciable but you can see more frames no matter what. Even if your TV doesn't have the best PQ like the OP's, he can still see and appreciate a 60FPS game on that, probably a much better experience than a 4k 30 game on that screen. Most people don't have flagship TVs, they have average ones. On average I'd argue more frames is better value for more people. For TV streaming content, resolution is better.

Last edited:

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I would like to hear how you feel after having the TV for some time. I could always tell the difference but after having a nice TV for a while, the difference is larger. Playing Forza Horizon on the X and then playing it again on someone else's Xbox S, the game looked drastically different, like a generation behind.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
People bring up HDR like it is tied to 4K, it's not. You can have 1080p 120Hz with HDR.

The whole problem is that most people don't have TVs that are bigger than 55 and they don't sit in the optimal viewing distance either, they probably sit a lot farther so the increase in resolution isn't that appreciable but you can see more frames no matter what. Even if your TV doesn't have the best PQ like the OP's, he can still see and appreciate a 60FPS game on that, probably a much better experience than a 4k 30 game on that screen. Most people don't have flagship TVs, they have average ones. On average I'd argue more frames is better value for more people. For TV streaming content, resolution is better.

On paper that's completely true but there's a ridiculous amount of people (even on this very forum) who can't seem to notice frame drops or even the difference between 60 and 30fps.