• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm gonna piggyback on this I need a chair as well, but I'm a fat fuck and most chairs are only rated 250 lbs. I weigh 280 can someone point me in the right direction?
Steelcase Leap and Gesture are rated for up to 400lb. A lot of lines also seem to be Big and Tall selections but I haven't really looked into them.

Zej

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Been shopping for a new office chair and it's been awful; I refuse to buy a racing style chair. Either the armrests don't meet my arms when at 90deg, the neck rest hits my back, there's no separation between back and seat, no lumbar support, etc etc... nothing is juuust right.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
Invest a little more, get the Herman Miller, try to find a deal. For example Amazon has renewed ones for less than $500.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
going to a local used office furniture place to look at some steelcase leap tomorrow. Might pick one up if it fits and is in good shape, if not still probably going to go with a secret labs omega

Hwntw

Oct 27, 2017
have a HM aeron at work and learned I am not a fan of mesh chairs. I've been eyeing the Secret labs Omega cloth chair for a while now. Just waiting on my bonus lol

if you are a larger person, the titan style chair may fit you better.

First heard about this chair on the beastcast from Jeff and have been intrigued for a while.

I have had this very chair for a year, and it's held up well. The padding is extremely firm, however, so you need to get up occasionally to avoid the ol' numb butt.

Hwntw

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to bump this thread, but I was about to replace my old cheap and broken IKEA chair with a Secretlab TITAN 2020 after reading some very positive reviews of this chair, but I wisely decided to see what Era thought before hitting the Purchase button.

So after reading a lot of the general advice in this thread on avoiding gaming-specific chairs due to promoting bad posture and such, I'm now in a lot of doubt about the TITAN.

But the thing is, judging entirely by the pictures, I don't really see how the TITAN could be that much worse or different for your posture than any regular office chair?

The chair will be used for my PC (non-gaming) at a desk, and also my PS4 in front of my TV. Can anyone offer any advice regarding this chair?

Here is a picture of the chair:
Double post, but I use this as an office chair. Even though it has those 'wings', the thing is massively wide and it's really not like a gaming chair, unless you're built like Jonah Lomu.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
I have had this very chair for a year, and it's held up well. The padding is extremely firm, however, so you need to get up occasionally to avoid the ol' numb butt.
thanks for the impressions, did you go with PU leather or cloth? Biggest thing holding me back from getting the omega cloth is the colors, I just want a black chair :/

Hwntw

Oct 27, 2017
thanks for the impressions, did you go with PU leather or cloth? Biggest thing holding me back from getting the omega cloth is the colors, I just want a black chair :/

I got the PU, black on black. There is some fake suede trim, but it's actually held up well. The pleather has a matte finish and isn't the slippy slidy kind, but I know from experience that it, uh, wipes clean easily.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Glad this thread popped up. My current chair is starting to not have as much support as it used to.

I work from home full time and split my time probably 60/40 standing/sitting. I invested in a motorized standing desk last year. Should probably do the same with a chair this year.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Back in the day like 8 years ago Costco was selling basic Herman Miller office chairs (Task Pointe?) at around the $400 price range. I got the most standard model and still have it to this day, great for home use. Looking back I wish I ordered it with all the bells and whistles for like $100 more (adjustable arm rest height, seat forward/back) but it's ok.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I think I might get what we have at work, they are pretty comfortable. I think they are Steelcase but I don't remember the exact model. I don't like the look and feel of Aerons. Maybe I'll do a whole home office setup. Get a new desk and chair.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Double post, but I use this as an office chair. Even though it has those 'wings', the thing is massively wide and it's really not like a gaming chair, unless you're built like Jonah Lomu.
You have the normal Titan or XL? I've been eyeing the XL model. All the cheap IKEA chairs recommended are too small for me. I'm 6'3" barefoot and 240 lbs. on a good day.

The thing that attracted me to the Titan series is the width. I try to maintain good posture while gaming, so my shoulders are pulled back and my arms rest pretty "widely" if that makes sense. I need armrests that are positioned super wide. Titan series seems to have the most flexibility there that I've seen.

Hwntw

Oct 27, 2017
You have the normal Titan or XL? I've been eyeing the XL model. All the cheap IKEA chairs recommended are too small for me. I'm 6'3" barefoot and 240 lbs. on a good day.

The thing that attracted me to the Titan series is the width. I try to maintain good posture while gaming, so my shoulders are pulled back and my arms rest pretty "widely" if that makes sense. I need armrests that are positioned super wide. Titan series seems to have the most flexibility there that I've seen.

I believe it's the 'normal' one. I'm smaller than you in both quoted dimensions, but I too have a large wingspan. The arms adjust in all three dimensions as well as being swivelable, if you see what I mean. Apart from the size, as I said the chief thing about this chair is the dense foam, to better support the heroically-framed, no doubt.

Zej

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems I found some decent low-mid range chairs. HON Ignition was pretty nice feeling. The only con for me was the lack of armrest slide/swivel. 2.0 version has a nicer mesh and is cheaper some how. Both about 300 though.

OP
OP

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It's a nerco-bump I know, but I've gotta say, when I bought that used Steelcase Leap in January I had no idea the pandemic, shelter in place, and work from home were going to rock the world, but this has turned out to be one of the singular best purchasing decisions I've ever made. I big thanks to everyone that suggested the Leap in the opening posts of this thread!

Gully Bully

Aug 19, 2019
loberget-blyskaer-swivel-chair-white__0806542_PE770243_S5.JPG

$25.00 from IKEA, tested for 243 pounds.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta get a new chair and one that preferably has a lot of cushioning and a headrest. My friend suggested a Secret Labs Titan XL but they're back ordered til June.

Any suggestions? I know people are saying "Get a REAL" office chair but man some of those gaming ones look real comfy.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta get a new chair and one that preferably has a lot of cushioning and a headrest. My friend suggested a Secret Labs Titan XL but they're back ordered til June.

Any suggestions? I know people are saying "Get a REAL" office chair but man some of those gaming ones look real comfy.

i've tried a secret lab omega

trust me, get a real office chair

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i've tried a secret lab omega

trust me, get a real office chair
See, people say "a real office chair" and I have zero idea what that means. My current chair that's falling apart I got at Staples, was that a "real" office chair? Which ones offer a head rest and have a lot of cushioning?

Chanser

Oct 27, 2017
You could wait for HM x Logitech chair, otherwise get a leap or gesture.

Really want confort get a la-z-boy.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
I love my Markus, but I hate the nonadjustable arm rests. I read good things about the Staples Hyken, get it when it's on sale for around $130

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Instead of getting some knockoff thing that's supposed to look like a race car seat, get a race car seat:
pro_ro_armrest_CRONPAs.jpg

+

zeta.jpg

=

multicaster_full-thumb-500x401-731.jpg

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
See, people say "a real office chair" and I have zero idea what that means. My current chair that's falling apart I got at Staples, was that a "real" office chair? Which ones offer a head rest and have a lot of cushioning?

look at brands like steelcase and herman miller as others have mentioned. they are usually expensive ($1000+) new and can come with headrests, so if you don't want to spend that much you can get a used or remanufactured one for a fraction.

my beef with "gaming" chairs is even the ones with thick padding are useless for adjustability and back support, so are generally uncomfortable for me

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
look at brands like steelcase and herman miller as others have mentioned. they are usually expensive ($1000+) new and can come with headrests, so if you don't want to spend that much you can get a used or remanufactured one for a fraction.

my beef with "gaming" chairs is even the ones with thick padding are useless for adjustability and back support, so are generally uncomfortable for me
Yeah I was looking at those but 1k is way too much. I was thinking more like 500.

Maybe I"ll get this.

Last edited:

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
Herman Millers and Steelcase chairs are going to start popping up online and in liquidation sales with office real estate space collapsing and everyone working from home. It's going to be one way businesses lessen the blow. I recently got a HM Aeron in great condition for 300.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
This has been my saga all year - finding something that works for an office chair, that I can sit in most of the day... and then play some games at night.

initially I bought the Herman Miller Embody chair, but ended up returning due to some back and tailbone pain.Returned it just at the 30 day mark.

Gambled on Steelcase Leap and it is the right fit for me. I have never been happier with a chair ever. Ended up getting a good deal on Amazon for it - about $700. Totally worth it.

Nov 16, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Well fellas.... my wallet is hurting. I blew through my Ryzen build budget and got a Human Scale Freedom Headrest. Since they're all made to order, I should hopefully have it in 4~6 weeks according to the local human scale dealer I went through. HS have a 20% off "Work from home" sale right now.

I talked to the guys at BTOD as well as a few people on youtube with them and some redditors who own or sell them as well as our local store owner himself about them and my primary use is reclined back watching TV or playing games on my TV which is on the other side of my room from my computer desk. Some time is spent upright working at the desk but the vast majority is having my feet up on a drummer stool looking at the TV and my current chair lacks a headrest so my neck is aching after a while and the foam in the seat has long since disentegrated and I've used a folded up blanket in the seat and some throw pillows behind me.

Anyways, the specs I went with are as follows

Fourtis Textile in navy color
Titanium frame
Gel arms with matching textile covers
Gel seat (I had little to no information on this but the BTOD guys said that it's the standard seat with an extra layer of gel padding)

My wife told me to get the saddle leather version (which is what I really wanted) but it would have more than doubled the price to around $2800 (mine after the discount was just a bit over $1100) but since these are made to order, there's no returns or refunds. If you don't like it, too bad. I don't think I could mentally or emotionally handle paying nearly 3 grand for a chair and not absolutely loving it so ONLY paying $1100 was a safer option.

I'll post an update when it shows up and after I've had a while to sit in and adjust to the chair. I've read from several people that switch from regular chairs to ergonomic chairs that their backs hurt until they adjusted and then it was much better.

freedom-headrest.jpg