Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I spend some time of the year working in Finland, and just got news that the country will get the world's youngest serving prime minister in Sanna Marin (34), a SocDem who takes over when the previous PM had to step down last week.

Marin is chipped in the new generation of red/greens (she is bottom left corner in the political conservative/liberal - left/right map). Previously the youngest serving PM was Ukraine's Oleksiy Honcharuk (35) - Marin is also three years younger than New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern, who took office at 37.

What is also very interesting/striking is that the five parties in government in Finland are now all lead by female heads of party - four which are under 35.

Travelling between US and Finnish political landscapes is almost intergalactic travel...

Last edited:

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
So this is all from the fallout of the recent strikes and the previous PM stepping down, right?

OP
OP

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So this is all from the fallout of the recent strikes and the previous PM stepping down, right?

Yes, the previous PM, Rinne, lost the confidence of the agrarian party in the aftermath of the postal strike, and had to step down. Marin was today voted by the SocDems as new PM party head. The coalition in government continues as it was only the PM that lost the confidence of the Centre party - thus Marin will become PM by default.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Step in the right direction.

Next Finland should work on being less racist.

Tall order - Finland is racist as fuck I can tell from experience ... but the three women heading the SocDems, the LeftWing alliance and the Green League are very outspoken anti-racist politicians and very pro-refugee/immigration to the extent that they are the antithesis of the right-wing populists that would be the biggest party if elections were held today. But it also means that the three of them are competing for the same block of very liberal left-wing voters - the previous PM was the typical euro-union background SocDem PM with a bit of more cloudy views on race.

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
That's something. She wouldn't even be eligible to be president yet if it were the US. Gotta be at least 35.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Finland and Denmark seem to have gone back to SocDem governments. Meanwhile, things are looking more sour in Sweden...

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Oh wow. Had no idea Finland is racist. Kudos to them for electing young progressives (not the atypical white male politicians).

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
It's cool that they have people in their 30's leading the country rather then relying on old fucks to grow a conscience

Oct 25, 2017
Finland and Denmark seem to have gone back to SocDem governments. Meanwhile, things are looking more sour in Sweden...
It's very bad in Finland too, our alt-right is polling in first place with 24% and is extremely likely to get into the next government. But the next parliament election is in 2023 so it's still far.

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
Don't worry guys the next government with PS, Kokoomus and KD will bring us down to the bottom of the barrel populism that's rampant everywhere else.

I live here and I've had racist shit flung at me, and I'm white. You'd have to really have your head in the sand to not see it.

Grath

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oleksiy Hontsharuk is not a Hungarian name and we never had a progressive (even with age) PM.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know which is more unprecedented, that they're all women or that almost all of them are so young.

This government is going to be one hell of a different beast. Excited to see what comes from it!

OP
OP

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The party that is currently polling highest being headed by a person who believes in scientific racism and who has been sentenced for racial hate speech and who used to be a regular on the blatantly neonazi "Gates of Vienna" board. Neo-nazis are marching openly and unmasked in the streets of the capital. In more mundane forms, research exposes how racism is deeply integrated into Finnish labor-markets. I will refrain from retelling a plethora of personal experiences as these might be construed as subjective.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's going to be very close the next election as well probably. If the Liberals don't qualify, we can most likely expect a right wing government backed by SD :/

Great news for Finland though!

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god, hide your wallets. She's practically a communist and will raise every tax possible.

And they are bringing back the minister who was sacked just last week?

Hopefully they'll at least get rid of the foreign minister who is trying to smuggle the isis women and children in secret.

Oct 28, 2017

Denmark's Socdems did it by adopting rightwing immigration policies, with fucked up details like designating 'ghetto areas', not really a model that should spread

On topic: This is great news

Now compare the photo from Germany's recent conference of (federal) interior ministers

innenministerkonferenz-luebeck-100-resimage_v-variantBig24x9_w-1024.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are there that many Swede's living in Finnland that they need a "Swedish People's Party of Finland"? Genuinely curious

They are a language minority, it's not as such based on ethnic relations to Sweden - think French language minority in Canada. But in my (foreign) view they don't really need a party bc language politics is not really based on political ideologies. E.g. the woman who is heading the Left Alliance depicted in the tweet belongs to that language minority.

Wrong. Rinne is still the party head, he only step down as the PM.

Yeah, thx - edited - my Finnish is not great, read the initial news wrong.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
They are a language minority, it's not based on ethnic relations to Sweden - think French language minority in Canada. But in my (foreign) view they don't really need a party bc language politics is not really based on political ideologies. E.g. the woman who is heading the Left Alliance depicted in the tweet belongs to that language minority.
Oh okay, interesting. Thanks.

Oct 28, 2017
Are there that many Swede's living in Finnland that they need a "Swedish People's Party of Finland"? Genuinely curious

Finland used to be a part of Sweden until 200 years ago. There's still a significant Swedish-speaking minority, mainly on the coasts

Their main program is probably to stop everyone else from abolishing mandatory Swedish classes in school ;)

Last edited:

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's very bad in Finland too, our alt-right is polling in first place with 24% and is extremely likely to get into the next government. But the next parliament election is in 2023 so it's still far.
Seeing how "old" parties keep playing shitty political games I wouldn't be surprised if Finns Party reached 30% by the next election. The way SocDems chose the minister who just 10 days ago resigned because of lying in to cabinet is pretty great example of how they operate.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Seeing how "old" parties keep playing shitty political games I wouldn't be surprised if Finns Party reached 30% by the next election. The way SocDems chose the minister who just 10 days ago resigned because of lying in to cabinet is pretty great example of how they operate.

I don't get how Finns Party is gaining so much support when their only platform seems to be open and blatant racism. They haven't been part of pushing any favored policy or been that successful with anything that they have pushed for. Somehow they also were winners from those strikes over week back by... just staying mum basically.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get how Finns Party is gaining so much support when their only platform seems to be open and blatant racism. They haven't been part of pushing any favored policy or been that successful with anything that they have pushed for. Somehow they also were winners from those strikes over week back by... just staying mum basically.
They are the only party not going crazy about climate change.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is great and makes me a bit proud of my country.

However I do agree with the racism problem in Finland. There's also a horrible domestic violence problem. Finland's rates of domestic violence are almost twice the European average, being the second most dangerous place for women in Europe.

So yeah, overall not proud of my country. We can do better.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this is great and makes me a bit proud of my country.

However I do agree with the racism problem in Finland. There's also a horrible domestic violence problem. Finland's rates of domestic violence are almost twice the European average, being the second most dangerous place for women in Europe.

So yeah, overall not proud of my country. We can do better.

Yeah, definitely. Proud about this particular event, but we've still got a long way to go.

Last edited:

Jasup

Oct 25, 2017
Yurop
I think 40s and 50s would be better. 30s are so young, speaking as one.
I'm older and I'm happy she was selected. She's much better for the job than many of the older people in politics.
She has real skills and knowledge to do her job and isn't there just by being the longest serving person present.

She is legit.

Oct 25, 2017
Denmark's Socdems did it by adopting rightwing immigration policies, with fucked up details like designating 'ghetto areas', not really a model that should spread

Now compare the photo from Germany's recent conference of (federal) interior ministers

Just read about this and Holy fuck. So Denmark is a borderline white supremacist state now?

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Well, I will be on the minority here. But I dislike the idea of an all-women government just for the same reasons I despise the all-men ones.

I get it's a good symbol and all that. But I wouldn't like for it to spread, honestly.

Jasup

Oct 25, 2017
Yurop
Swedish peoples party of Finland?? Why is Sweden still a big thing?
For half a millenia most of what is now known as Finland was Eastern Sweden.

It's complicated. But really very straight forward if you know the history
Well, I will be on the minority here. But I dislike the idea of an all-women government just for the same reasons I despise the all-men ones.

I get it's a good symbol and all that. But I wouldn't like for it to spread, honestly.
The government is not all-women. There are male ministers a plenty. But four of the five party heads of the governing parties are women. Sanna Marin is not the chairwoman of the Social Democrats, but will likely be elected by the party in the coming summer.

Last edited:

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019

If you had told me they were all just Republican congressmen, I'd probably have believed you. Embarrassing for a country that is supposedly much more progressive than the US.