• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lashman

Oct 25, 2017

Activision Blizzard let go of nearly 800 employees for short term financial gain. At the same time, CEO Bobby Kotick boasted of record revenues for the company.

The company's value has halved and profits are down, all while more money than ever flows through it. In any sensible world, Kotick would take the hit as leader of the publisher. He passed the buck.

Executives hand their failures down because they know they can do so without consequence. There should be consequences. Fire Bobby Kotick.

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't the shareholders love him tremendously due to the fact that he managed to make them money for decades?

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jim playing backseat business expert now. What people think of him is irrelevant when he makes shareholders piles of cash.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
CEOs get fired if major shareholders aren't happy with their performance, and financially Activision have done well under him

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to sound like a broken record but....shouldn't this guy's video's get a dedicated OT?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's capitalism for you. A CEO who makes the company shittons of money is probably not going to let go, even if he fucks ever employees.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a business man, the guy does a scary good job. As an actual decent human being, yeah that's another story...

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Don't the shareholders love him tremendously due to the fact that he managed to make them money for decades?

The guy is one of the best CEOs around. Nearly 30 years of stable growth with the same guy in charge.

People saying he should be fired are hilarious.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Finally, Jim says something that I can agree with.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The people who always shout "but shareholders" are missing the fucking point.

People want consequences for the lives these shitbag billionaires ruin for the benefit of spreadsheets.

Apr 16, 2018
Name a CEO that's been at his job as long as Bobby has, lol.

Dude is legendarily consistent in making Activision money. As far as his actual job performance goes, he ain't going nowhere.

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

People want consequences for the lives these shitbag billionaires ruin for the benefit of spreadsheets.

I think it's rather you who is missing the point. The shareholders do not give a flying fuck as long as they make money. If a significant portion of their customers rise up and stop buying every single game from Activision going forward in protest of what happened then maybe the shareholders will take note and blame Kotick for it. Maybe. Until then, it's safe road ahead for him.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
As usual people conflate running a company with running a charity.

The activision blizzard cuts were expected, logical and surprised no one, not even within the companies (HOtS/eSport/Publishing knew the writing was on the wall months ago)

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's rather you who is missing the point. The shareholders do not give a flying fuck as long as they make money. If a significant portion of their customers rise up and stop buying every single game from Activision going forward in protest of what happened then maybe the shareholders will take note and blame Kotick for it. Maybe. Until then, it's safe road ahead for him.

No honey, I understand the evil of capitalism quite well thanks.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I forget when it was, but there was a year where everyone hated Bobby Kotick, would photoshop horns on his head and make him out to be Satan, so on and so forth.

It feels like that year again. Almost makes me nostalgic.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I've spoken to acti employees and I know they might just say it because why would they ever not say it but, they said he's a nice guy, he plays video games and comes by their studio every now and then.

I've not worked in a AAA company but I have interned in a rather corporate company before and got a sense of what it's like to work with the big business CEO guy at the top. Witness to people being "let go" and the general atmosphere of such a place. Generally a good work environment if a bit too office-political (can't wear short pants etc.) but as soon as you see people getting fired you know that it's do or die and comparing it to Activision and Bobby Kotick, I kinda know what I think about him. He does the industry-average job for people in his kind of career only he's very good at it, it runs the company but also at the expense of employee job-security and... well, it doesn't instill you with passion for creativity and passion for gaming in the long run, if you you're cut out of the studio the second their bottomline isn't as good as last year or their projects are so arbitrarily high that they gave themselves an excuse to fire you.

AAA companies are just trash in that sense. I'd really like to know any studio that doesn't ultimately run like EA or Activision in that regard though.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
He owns 4.6 million shares of the company. He makes shareholders money. He's not going anywhere.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Well considering it's the shareholders who will be doing the firing, then it's pretty fucking important point to make that they love him lol.

The notion that corporations will fire a CEO for anything other than losing money is hilarious and an exercise in futility. This is what business do - they don't give a shit about the individual whom they employ.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Unfortunately he's not going anywhere due to his incredible ability to make Activision's shareholders money. Shit has to change elsewhere im afraid to make it harder to simply dump people just because the shareholders want to make more money.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
for all the shitty decision activision made we shouldnt forget that bobby kotick is in this since the commodore days and has been ceo for decades and that with tremendous success. i cant think of any person that had similar success

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another emotion filled, weak Jim video lacking all nuance and facts to advocate a simplistic solution that makes no sense.

Bobby Kotick isn't a decent human being because he doesn't make the vidya games you want?
No, people are saying he isn't a decent human being because the company he leads had record profits and he still decided to layoff hundreds of employees. Personally, I direct my anger more at the system that incentivizes such behavior (and the lack of a union which would protect worker interests and make layoffs like this unfeasible), but I don't think it's that farfetched to see others be angry at Kotick himself. After all, he did make this decision. I'm sure the Activision-Blizzard employees who were laid off don't have a high opinion of the man either.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Bobby Kotick will get to leave ActiBlizz on his own terms. Without some sort of earth-shattering event, there's not going to be any shareholder revolt.
Stock contraction to 2017 levels isn't grounds for that at all.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you? Because it sounds like you think a job is a guarantee.
We are so far from 'a job is a guarantee' in the status quo that the fact you think this is a good argument is laughable. No, a job is not a guarantee, but you would think that record performance for a company would prevent the need for layoffs. Except workers in this industry have virtually no protections, so even though performance is good people have no job security.

There is a middle ground between 'a job is a guarantee' and 'human beings are disposable'.

Oct 25, 2017
To the common consumer who's interested in the medium, yes he should be fired for what he has done. But to the people who matter (aka, the shareholders), he has done no wrong by them and made a ton of cash.

Letting him go would make very little sense from their perspective.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
yup. good with this.

honestly just regulate and break up all of the AAA publishers. almost all of them have moved past "how can we make great content" into "how can we make more profit"

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Even agreeing with Jim, Bobby Kotick is the kind of guy that the market loves: the profit-oriented asshole that doesn't have any remorse on cannibalizing it's own company seaching for a maximum profit and treats their own customers as shit. Actually their customers are the shareholders, the rest is just some kind of pawns in a great chess.

It's no mistery that Activision is rotten till the bone and depends on one or two ip's to reach to their financial results. What brokes my heart is that the same thing is happening to the Blizzard.