• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I don't want to sound like a broken record but....shouldn't this guy's video's get a dedicated OT?
Even if he did, some of the videos could and would still be shared in their own separate threads. Like Easy Allies has an OT, yet we get a thread for every Top 10 they release. And that's absolutely fine. I think you can make Jim Sterling OT though, if you so want. Don't think there's any rules against it.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
That's capitalism for you. A CEO who makes the company shittons of money is probably not going to let go, even if he fucks ever employees.
And a CEO who costs a company shittons of money while fucking over employees will subsequently be cut loose with a golden parachute and then find themselves immediately rehired to be CEO somewhere else.

It's a great little racket once you're in the executive club.

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck greedy shareholders and the system that is set up to reward the behavior.

That is capitalism in a nut shell, it encourages greed. People can call for the CEO's head all they want, he is doing what is best for himself, and what he is doing is legal and ethical according to capitalism.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is capitalism in a nut shell, it encourages greed. People can call for the CEO's head all they want, he is doing what is best for himself, and what he is doing is legal and ethical according to capitalism.

Yes he is doing what's best for himself. He's a selfish asshole. Also "ethical according to capitalism", that seems a bit like an oxymoron.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Bobby Kotick isn't a decent human being because he doesn't make the vidya games you want?
Did you miss the whole thing about people getting fired to cut costs to appeal to the investor board and maybe people like bobby kotic willing to do that instead of taking cash from his already filled pockets might be the problem. ( also you know... unions are nice ).

Are you being purposefully dense,

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, you just don't care about human cost if it justifies bizniz and it shows.

Oh okay you paladin you.

We are so far from 'a job is a guarantee' in the status quo that the fact you think this is a good argument is laughable. No, a job is not a guarantee, but you would think that record performance for a company would prevent the need for layoffs. Except workers in this industry have virtually no protections, so even though performance is good people have no job security.

There is a middle ground between 'a job is a guarantee' and 'human beings are disposable'.

Shareholders, more often than not, are the polar opposite of being a bastion of morality. They.do.not.give.a.fuck. They are in for the money. Thankfully, we have companies such as Ubisoft who are taking pride at keeping their employees whether in good or bad times. With the Guillemot brothers winning the share war a couple of years ago against Vivendi, the lower shareholders have no choice but to comply with this mentality. But guess what? Those same shareholders would probably welcome a Bobby Kotick as the new CEO. It's how this shitty system works.

Basically, this won't change even though it's wrong. The only way I could think of them to take note is if their customers would boycott their games in such a significant way that it would drastically lower the price of their shares. I don't know about you, but I'm not sure your average Call of Duty player, or even gamer for that matter, has any decent sens of morality.

We can sing Kumbaya all we want around a fire and tap our back. Or we can vent off on an online forum and try to partly blame other users for how things turned to shit while tapping our own back for having the moral ground. Truth of the matter, it's all about the shitty shareholders system. It always has been.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I would hope most of these strong feelings toward Activision will help workers unionize.

But I don't understand the comparison between Activision and Nintendo.

We concluded that seeking larger revenues for no apparent reason is unnecessary greed. And we concluded that rapid expansion to get more dollars from gamers caused this issue (debatable). Why would Activision executives take a pay cut to let go of teams that they do not believe will be necessary for Activision future? Activision is still hiring people for core franchises and efforts. Activision provided packages to the affected employees and is down sizing to become more purposeful. Nintendo did not want to downsize and let departments and people go. These are separate scenarios and arguably Activision actions are aligned with what Jim wants--slowing down unnecessary or poorly planned growth.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From his prospective, he is being ethical to himself and share holders, because that's really what matters to him.

I'm not going to get into an absolute vs. relative discussion but I will say "he is being ethical to himself" doesn't seem to make sense. Morality has to come into play with ethics, it's not just about people's own interpretations of how they govern their behavior.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Inflammatory series of posts, false equivalencies
From his prospective, he is being ethical to himself and share holders, because that's really what matters to him.

From Ted Bundy's perspective he was being ethical to himself and his needs, because that's what really matters to him.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The guy is doing his job and is, frankly speaking, very good at it. None of us can comment on what kind of person he actually is unless someone can demonstrably say they have a close relationship with him to claim otherwise.

Firing him is both petty and not a solution, you fire Kotick and someone else will get the job (possibly even with a hefty cash bonus for accepting the position). You wan't to make an actual change instead of throwing a tantrum? Lobby for better job security and unionize.

I love Sterling, but lately its been hard to tell satire from honest opinion with him...

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
That's capitalism for you. A CEO who makes the company shittons of money is probably not going to let go, even if he fucks ever employees.
I mean, the CEO's job is to make the owners money, not to keep employees or make them happy.

If having a larger or happier staff is expected to make the owners more money, then it makes sense to do that. Otherwise, no.

Let's put it this way. If I hired someone to manage my company, and I found out we were over staffed I'd ask why this wasn't being corrected right away. A smart manager will get it done before this is asked.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I think it's worth noting that they plan on hiring 30% more developers and that the layoffs are largely aimed at non-development positions. They aren't taking successful teams like Treyarch and cutting them in half to save a few pennies. The people being let go are involved with redundant or low ROI sectors.

We are so far from 'a job is a guarantee' in the status quo that the fact you think this is a good argument is laughable. No, a job is not a guarantee, but you would think that record performance for a company would prevent the need for layoffs. Except workers in this industry have virtually no protections, so even though performance is good people have no job security.

There is a middle ground between 'a job is a guarantee' and 'human beings are disposable'.

The divisions that were laid off were underperforming though. If eSports is losing the company money each year, WoW is only getting half as many customer support calls, and nobody is playing HotS, then is Activision expected to keep those staff around just because? Yeah it sucks, but no company (except maybe Microsoft because they're stubborn) will subsidize fruitless business ventures out of charity.

Oct 27, 2017
From Ted Bundy's perspective he was being ethical to himself and his needs, because that's what really matters to him.
giphy.gif

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They wouldn't fire him for the employees or the value/profit shifts unless they thought he couldn't right the ship.

To be honest, most investors would look at the employee layoffs as a means of doing just that, so they're less likely to cut him loose now. If they stay stagnant while EA and TTWO keep beating them, however, you could see a push for him to move on.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
what's up with the "he's done nothing wrong by the shareholders" posts?

isn't that precisely why we're here? stock prices cut, falling short of estimates, forecasting less revenue than last year. he has done wrong.

after years of historic growth, it's not enough to jump straight to firing. but for this shareholder upset, workers at the bottom are paying the price and bobby sees no consequences.

Last edited:

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can only hope that this next year his actions reflect poorly on the company's revenue. The only reason why Kotick might have been perceived as a better person in recent years is simply because his shitty deeds were overshadowed by other publishers' shitty deeds.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I think a call to fire is the wrong move. I think a call to shame, scrutinize, and publicly crucify on a platform of shame for what he's done, relentlessly, is a much better move. Embarrass him. Dig into his past, find things he's said, ruin the public perception of him.

That said, no one has the balls to do that in the industry because it's so locked up in exclusive stories for marketing deals, etc, and none of the enthusiast press want to risk losing those opportunities to do the right thing.

Jan 11, 2018
Capitalism in a nutshell. Not going to happen because shareholders give as much of a fuck about employees as kotic does.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh okay you paladin you.

Shareholders, more often than not, are the polar opposite of being a bastion of morality. They.do.not.give.a.fuck. They are in for the money. Thankfully, we have companies such as Ubisoft who are taking pride at keeping their employees whether in good or bad times. With the Guillemot brothers winning the share war a couple of years ago against Vivendi, the lower shareholders have no choice but to comply with this mentality. But guess what? Those same shareholders would probably welcome a Bobby Kotick as the new CEO. It's how this shitty system works.

Basically, this won't change even though it's wrong. The only way I could think of them to take note is if their customers would boycott their games in such a significant way that it would drastically lower the price of their shares. I don't know about you, but I'm not sure your average Call of Duty player, or even gamer for that matter, has any decent sens of morality.

We can sing Kumbaya all we want around a fire and tap our back. Or we can vent off on an online forum and try to partly blame other users for how things turned to shit while tapping our own back for having the moral ground. Truth of the matter, it's all about the shitty shareholders system. It always has been.
You aren't saying anything I don't already know. I'm certainly not blaming other users, so don't put words in my mouth. This entire situation just illustrates why the industry needs to unionize.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I agree. The highly valued Blizzard name has basically eroded to nothingness under him. He's in charge so the buck stops with him not some underlings trying to please him.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the CEO's job is to make the owners money, not to keep employees or make them happy.

If having a larger or happier staff is expected to make the owners more money, then it makes sense to do that. Otherwise, no.

Let's put it this way. If I hired someone to manage my company, and I found out we were over staffed I'd ask why this wasn't being corrected right away. A smart manager will get it done before this is asked.

Exactly my point. Jim looks at it from a gamer's point of view. Shareholders' will look at it differently, and a person who is generating them a lot of profit is probably not gonna be fired anytime soon, unless they believe a different person could generate bigger profits. With companies big as these, the people at the end of the chain matter quite a lot less than in smaller "family-based" companies, and even there shit like this can happen. It's a bit disingenious, really. He's not wrong that it's anachronistic that a company celebrating record profits is laying people off. But this isn't an Activision problem, this is the whole capitalist system's issue.

Oct 25, 2017
I forget when it was, but there was a year where everyone hated Bobby Kotick, would photoshop horns on his head and make him out to be Satan, so on and so forth.

It feels like that year again. Almost makes me nostalgic.

It was the Infinity Ward drama, wasn't it? I remember Daniel Kayser rapping "My name is Bobby, I fire bitches as a hobby, try to cross(?) me now you find your ass out in the lobby. You know it's crazy, some people call me lazy, but then those people find that their future is kind of hazy" on EpicBattleCry.

Even found the audio: http://podcast.epicbattleaxe.com/epic-battle-cry/ebc-066.mp3

Good times.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
This type of tit for tat mentality is ridiculous and childish...

What do these people who are asking for Activision to fire their CEO think will happen other than costing the company more money and trouble not only during the firing process but also during the hiring for a replacement period. Do they think someone else is going to take the CEO position for free without similar wages to what Kotick is already getting on top of a initial pay out?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's worth noting that they plan on hiring 30% more developers and that the layoffs are largely aimed at non-development positions. They aren't taking successful teams like Treyarch and cutting them in half to save a few pennies. The people being let go are involved with redundant or low ROI sectors.

The divisions that were laid off were underperforming though. If eSports is losing the company money each year, WoW is only getting half as many customer support calls, and nobody is playing HotS, then is Activision expected to keep those staff around just because? Yeah it sucks, but no company (except maybe Microsoft because they're stubborn) will subsidize fruitless business ventures out of charity.
That division does not represent the entirety of the 800 employees laid off though. The staff can transition to other things, that's what companies do when they don't view their employees as disposable.

I mean they also laid off a bunch of development staff from High Moon and publishing staff who worked on Destiny. Considering they want to scale up development, and are going to continue to publish other games, it seems like that talent could've been retained to work on other projects even if the eSports division is completely gone from the company.

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
Ruining several lives versus thousands? I don't know. Billionaires are the most prolific killers in history.

Your reasoning was shit and comes from a place of psychopathy. Own it.

Your equating people losing jobs to a serial killer who raped and killed women... Ok then.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Ruining several lives versus thousands? I don't know. Billionaires are the most prolific killers in history.

Your really doubling down on comparing a serial killer to Activision/Bobby Kotick?...

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your equating people losing jobs to a serial killer who raped and killed women... Ok then.

That's not what I did at all. Haha.

I just pointed out that what you said is shit and could be applied to any harmful thing done by anyone to justify their own actions.

Could have just as easily applied that same logic to giving small pox blankets to first nation peoples or dumping C8 in the Ohio River for 40 years.

By the by, both those things were legal when they were done.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Running a business within the guidelines of the laws is the same as serial killing?
No, that user was pointing out that your argument was not a good one. It was also legal to enslave other human beings a little over a hundred years ago in this country, so just stating that 'its legal' says nothing about the moral implications of these decisions.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I'm absolutely loving all the posts along the lines of wHaT DoEs jIm sTeRlInG KnOw aBoUt rUnNiNg a bUsInEsS

So many of these threads are just disasters because people are completely unwilling to contemplate
a) an economic system other than the major one that dominates the globe
b) that their games would not be under threat by guaranteeing workers' rights
c) maybe the whole game is rigged and just because someone is rich doesn't mean they actually know what they're doing

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
No. He's a terrible human being because he risks the livelihoods of hundreds so he can fill his already full to burst pockets with more money. Why are you commenting on something you clearly know nothing about?
No, people are saying he isn't a decent human being because the company he leads had record profits and he still decided to layoff hundreds of employees. Personally, I direct my anger more at the system that incentivizes such behavior (and the lack of a union which would protect worker interests and make layoffs like this unfeasible), but I don't think it's that farfetched to see others be angry at Kotick himself. After all, he did make this decision. I'm sure the Activision-Blizzard employees who were laid off don't have a high opinion of the man either.
Did you miss the whole thing about people getting fired to cut costs to appeal to the investor board and maybe people like bobby kotic willing to do that instead of taking cash from his already filled pockets might be the problem. ( also you know... unions are nice ).

Are you being purposefully dense,

Activision has already announced they will be operating at a loss in Fiscal Year 2020. Those "record" profits are backwards looking, investment is forward looking. Those jobs were cut as a reaction to the loss they will be suffering this year. Their share price has dropped over 40% in the past 4 months, a change was needed. Kotick is doing his job as CEO of a publicly traded corporation. The fact that people can't seem to grasp this most basic fact is baffling. But, apparently he's obligated to keep around a bunch of jobs that lose Activision money and are no longer a part of their business strategy.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017

Ruining lives? Didn't Activison provide severance packages? Let's talk in reality.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your point was moronic beyond words. So yes, your point is beyond comprehension by a rational mind. Willfully choosing to be a cog in someone else's money making machine is not equivalent to getting murdered.

Now you're just purposely missing it to justify your role in defending this poor billionaire.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
Don't the shareholders love him tremendously due to the fact that he managed to make them money for decades?
Jim playing backseat business expert now. What people think of him is irrelevant when he makes shareholders piles of cash.
CEOs get fired if major shareholders aren't happy with their performance, and financially Activision have done well under him

FUCK the shareholders and whole stock market with it! The world would be better place without it!

Deleted member 50969

Banned
Dec 17, 2018
Firing Bobby isn't as simple as firing an employee. The man has a seat on the board, is a shareholder himself and his resume doesn't look too bad to his fellow shareholders and members of the board.

To fire such a guy, someone or some event needs to create doubt in the investors and board member's minds and at the current moment, that ain't happening.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Bro churns out more and more money for Activision year over year. What kind of crazy ass company would fire such a CEO? Sure the firing is absolutely fucking disgusting, but that's what you get in a predatory capitalist system focused on deriving the maximum benefit for shareholders. It's a travesty, but asking a company to fire a CEO that works incredibly well within the confines of such a system is ludicrous. I think he raised PROFITS from 0.28 billion to 1.3 billion this year. It's inane to think Activision would fire him. Jim should stick to criticizing games and not business measures.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Activision has already announced they will be operating at a loss in Fiscal Year 2020. Those "record" profits are backwards looking, investment is forward looking. Those jobs were cut as a reaction to the loss they will be suffering this year. Their share price has dropped over 40% in the past 4 months, a change was needed. Kotick is doing his job as CEO of a publicly traded corporation. The fact that people can't seem to grasp this most basic fact is baffling. But, apparently he's obligated to keep around a bunch of jobs that lose Activision money and are no longer a part of their business strategy.
Yes I'm aware of the reasoning behind the decision. In my view it was still a poor business decision, and also Kotick is ultimately the one responsible for the upcoming losses that they are projecting.

Publishing staff and development staff that they laid off are not 'losing the company money' just by existing, they are resources to be allocated, and if they are not being allocated properly then that is on the leadership of the company, not the employees.