• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the message of this video isn't really "fire Bobby", it's "fuck this entire economic system" using Bobby and Activision as an example of fucked up this system is. Jim has been steering the conversation in the Jimquisition more and more towards fuck capitalism rather than just fuck the AAA industry.

this too. it's the subtext beneath the content of this video. you can't say 'then workers should unionize!' with a straight face because it's 100% not a solution that the heads at corporate can ever allow.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
why does the head of a company need to show they are responsible for the decisions that rest with them? i think that it would help with the culture of the company to show that when there is a massive screwup at the top, that it's not just the people at the bottom who pay for it.

A CEO making bad bets is only one part of a large screw up. Watching how Kotick shifts Activision focus will determine if he is unfit to be an executive. I think unionizing would help company culture and would provide an actual solution than wanting a gesture of "all-togetherism" from executives taking pay cuts.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Activision is a beautiful example of the neo-feudalism that capitalism in the west has unfortunately manifested; nothing happens to the people at the top, even if they are responsible. Tragedy only befalls the common worker. It's utterly despicable.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
No I'm saying why is it the workers that must suffer for the decisions of the top brass?
While the golden gods sit pretty with no downsides or accountability.

I know everyone posts it. But when the chips were down Iwata took a 50% pay cut rather than fire people until the ship was righted. This is how you do it. The man at the top took responsibility!

Iwata's paycut was symbolic, it didn't save a bunch of jobs. I really wish people would stop acting like it did. The brass at the top are beholden to the shareholders, they are accountable to them. If the shareholders lose faith in them, then they get the boot. Also, how do you know that other managerial staff were not part of the layoffs? Additionally, drops in share prices means less compensation for Executives, they are personally incentivized to keep the company healthy and growing. Lastly, Kotick has already faced repercussions do to the restructuring of his compensation package to better incentivize him to do better.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
A CEO making bad bets is only one part of a large screw up. Watching how Kotick shifts Activision focus will determine if he is unfit to be an executive. I think unionizing would help company culture and would provide an actual solution than wanting a gesture of "all-togetherism" from executives taking pay cuts.

do you actually think unionizing is a realistic proposition, and what makes you think it is, if you do?

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
And recruiting and hiring talent costs a lot of money, money that could be saved by retaining talent instead of laying them off and not treating employees as disposable.

Only if the skillset is relevant.

If they are looking for a game developer and they let go of a community manager that doesnt have that skillset, what you said wouldn't make sense.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Why on earth havent game developers unionised yet?
They get shit on an every turn but they don't help themselves.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Bobby Kotick would have to do awful for multiple years running to be fired at this point. He's built up a lot of good will with shareholders as far as I can tell, and for good reason I guess.

I don't think firing him would help any employees. They would honestly probably replace him and also still do the layoffs anyway before paying even more money to the next person. The system sucks for employees more than any one CEO

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
do you actually think unionizing is a realistic proposition, and what makes you think it is, if you do?
People coming together and voting to unionize is a realistic proposition. You do not need Kotick's blessings. You need people who want their labor rights.

Do you think executive taking a pay cut is a realistic proposition?

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the message of this video isn't really "fire Bobby", it's "fuck this entire economic system" using Bobby and Activision as an example of fucked up this system is. Jim has been steering the conversation in the Jimquisition more and more towards fuck capitalism rather than just fuck the AAA industry.

That's a little bit rich when we're talking about the gaming industry at the end of the day

backseat business expert is probably more intelligent than the normal business experts, makes you think

If I was a shareholder I'd trust Kotick far more than Sterling

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing how it is much cheaper to keep talent than it is to hire new talent, have you come across any reportings that suggested no one was asked to transfer departments?

Activision is actively hiring right now. I see no reason to assume that people who have relevant skillsets would not be considered for those open roles.
They can, but considering they were just laid off from the company I don't think their prospects are very good. Also this is exactly what I mean when I say the company undervalues its employees. You don't lay off your employees then expect them to join in the rat race for open positions in the company immediately after, you see what resources you have and then figure out how to best reallocate them to your shifting goals. But since Activision doesn't see that value in their employees, they'd rather just cut them loose to save money in the short term.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Iwata's paycut was symbolic, it didn't save a bunch of jobs. I really wish people would stop acting like it did. The brass at the top are beholden to the shareholders, they are accountable to them. If the shareholders lose faith in them, then they get the boot. Also, how do you know that other managerial staff were not part of the layoffs? Additionally, drops in share prices means less compensation for Executives, they are personally incentivized to keep the company healthy and growing. Lastly, Kotick has already faced repercussions do to the restructuring of his compensation package to better incentivize him to do better.

The culture in Japan is also against layoffs. The laws make it extremely difficult to save money by doing layoffs; you basically have to bribe them to quit. Nintendo had no problems laying off a huge percentage of their staff in Korea and Europe, for instance. And this is only my assumption but I'm fairly sure they run very lean.

As far as Blizzard goes, one factor is that I'm fairly sure that it's still an in-demand place to get a job, even after what just happened. I doubt there's a shortage of talent that wants to go there.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well considering it's the shareholders who will be doing the firing, then it's pretty fucking important point to make that they love him lol.

The notion that corporations will fire a CEO for anything other than losing money is hilarious and an exercise in futility. This is what business do - they don't give a shit about the individual whom they employ.
And maybe we should try and question whether that's a good thing or not, wouldn't you agree? It's not like these rules are laws of nature, they're very much artificial principles that people have designed to fit their needs and if we decide that those needs have changed or that the rules we've come up with no longer work, then we should think about changing the rules and changing the system. And this is not just about laid off game devs or the entertainment industry, the best argument for why our current approach to capitalism is not working is climate change. That is such a great example of how short-sighted, blind and dangerous big corporations can be when all they're designed to care about is profit and there's not enough external regulation to keep them in check.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
They can, but considering they were just laid off from the company I don't think their prospects are very good. Also this is exactly what I mean when I say the company undervalues its employees. You don't lay off your employees then expect them to join in the rat race for open positions in the company immediately after, you see what resources you have and then figure out how to best reallocate them to your shifting goals. But since Activision doesn't see that value in their employees, they'd rather just cut them loose to save money in the short term.
You are discussing with the assumption that Activision would not have done what would be best for business: asking people to move over to departments where they have relevant skills in.

And if people do not have relevant skills, there is not a role for them at the company.

Even companies that are unionized face lay offs when departments are hurting the business. Activision isn't acting outside of the scope of typical business practices, especially seeing how they offered severance packages and didn't screw over their employees by finding slick ways to withhold those packages.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

But they are not hiring for same positions that's the point. There is no rat race.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure why people are defending Kotick here. Sure, the guy rakes in money, but how much of that is because of him? The success of Call of Duty and the talented people working on that franchise is the main reason for all his success. Everything else is just burning trashfire.

Think of this. Spider Man has been owned by Activision for decades. Every video game featuring Spider Man was rushed out in about a year. We've always had middling Spider Man games with meh sales figures as a result (Spider Man 2 was a fluke). As soon as the license was passed off to a publisher that actually gave a shit, Marvel received one of the best reviewed and selling open world super hero games of all time.

That's just one example of the many franchises that were mishandled at Activision. Everything always had to have a quick turnaround for simple short term gain.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only if the skillset is relevant.

If they are looking for a game developer and they let go of a community manager that doesnt have that skillset, what you said wouldn't make sense.
They are still going to need community managers for their upcoming projects. Same goes for QA, publishing staff, etc. Plus they laid off development staff too. The only way this argument works is if they only laid off eSports staff, and then completely got out of eSports entirely. But that isn't what happened, and some of that staff could probably be transitioned to other roles.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
People coming together and voting to unionize is a realistic proposition. You do not need Kotick's blessings. You need people who want their labor rights.

Do you think executive taking a pay cut is a realistic proposition?

i think executives taking a pay cut is a realistic proposition because i've seen it happen at least twice this decade in this industry. i do not think people unionizing is super realistic with how much fear is around the concept and how stigmatized it is in the us.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The reason the layoffs happened is because they are predicting a pretty major drop off in revenue.

Sure. But if Activision wasn't solely beholden to shareholders they'd keep that workforce and invest in new titles to maintain their strong position. Companies that have enjoyed long-term success in the tech industry tend to do that. These firings will only net them short term improvements but will have long lasting negative impact on their products. My hope is that their sales figures reflect that so that they consider a change of management.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
i think executives taking a pay cut is a realistic proposition because i've seen it happen at least twice this decade in this industry. i do not think people unionizing is super realistic with how much fear is around the concept and how stigmatized it is in the us.
Where has it happened twice?

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
It would've been better not to put so many development resources on so few projects. Part of the reason Activision is in this situation is because of what happened with Destiny. Now Kotick is saying they need to develop more projects when they should've been doing that the whole time. They were wasting resources by having their studios support Destiny instead of working on their own projects, and now they have nothing to show for it. If I was a shareholder I would be pissed at Kotick for this whole Destiny boondoggle.

I didn't introduce that example, and I agree that it's inflammatory and not really a good one, but I think that poster's point is pretty easy to understand inspite of their inflammatory choice of example. All they were saying is that your argument could be used to justify any type of negative behavior, and thus is unconvincing.

The posters point was wrong, there is laws and regulations in business that keep companies ethical, which that user doesn't seem to understand, hence why they jumped to an example of something that is completely irrelevant to business and illegal, serial killing. Cheers.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
They are still going to need community managers for their upcoming projects. Same goes for QA, publishing staff, etc. Plus they laid off development staff too. The only way this argument works is if they only laid off eSports staff, and then completely got out of eSports entirely. But that isn't what happened, and some of that staff could probably be transitioned to other roles.

It really didn't seem like there were a ton of upcoming new projects, but that they were doubling down developers on existing projects.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
There's a number of issues wrong with the video though:

- No mention of loss of Destiny franchise. Lots of People tied up in this which no longer exists.
- No mention of Blizzards output in 2019 which has support functions at Blizzard literally doing nothing.
- Mentions the industry is seeing major declines in developer jobs yet they didn't let go of developers.
- No mention of the forecasted decline in revenue of some $1b in 2019.
- Only talks revenue and rarely talks profits.
- Keeps faulting the stock market inflation on Bobby when that's a fault of speculative and irrational investors. The entire market nose dived in October of last year.

I mean the layoffs are fucking awful and no company should have to deal with them if they don't have to but videos like this are why I don't put a lot of weight in business discussion among video game enthusiasts. They don't know what the hell they are talking about. They don't understand income statements. They very rarely have ever worked in a major corporation. They don't understand stock markets. They don't understand compensation plans. He's literally just reacting to headlines of news outlets without really putting my effort into understanding the economics and story himself.

Oct 25, 2017
Unionize, fire Bobby Kotick and reform laws to hold capitalist greed accountable as a criminal act. Or just delete capitalism. I'm fine with either.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Good luck with that Jim

- No mention of loss of Destiny franchise. Lots of People tied up in this which no longer exists.
- No mention of Blizzards output in 2019 which has support functions at Blizzard literally doing nothing.
- Mentions the industry is seeing major declines in developer jobs yet they didn't let go of developers.
- Keeps faulting the stock market inflation on Bobby when that's a fault of speculative and irrational investors. The entire market nose dived in October of last year.

I mean the layoffs are fucking awful and no company should have to deal with them if they don't have to but videos like this are why I don't put a lot of weight in business discussion among video game enthusiasts. They don't know what the hell they are talking about. They don't understand income statements. They very rarely have ever worked in a major corporation. They don't understand stock markets. They don't understand compensation plans. He's literally just reacting to headlines of news outlets without really putting my effort into understanding the economics and story himself.

Great post but you left out my emotions!

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
They won't. But the guy seems real scummy after hearing about those stories.

The type of person who would do just fine being a drug kingpin.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are discussing with the assumption that Activision would not have done what would be best for business: asking people to move over to departments where they have relevant skills in.

And if people do not have relevant skills, there is not a role for them at the company.

Even companies that are unionized face lay offs when departments are hurting the business. Activision isn't acting outside of the scope of typical business practices, especially seeing how they offered severance packages and didn't screw over their employees by finding slick ways to withhold those packages.
You are ignoring that Activision laid off staff in the very areas they said they need to staff up in. They laid off people to save money in the short term.
But they are not hiring for same positions that's the point. There is no rat race.
They laid off development staff and High Moon, despite saying they need to ramp up development. They laid off publishing staff for Destiny, even though they could've been moved on to other projects.
The posters point was wrong, there is laws and regulations in business that keep companies ethical, which that user doesn't seem to understand, hence why they jumped to an example of something that is completely irrelevant to business and illegal, serial killing. Cheers.
The laws and regulations to keep companies ethical in this country are abysmal.
It really didn't seem like there were a ton of upcoming new projects, but that they were doubling down developers on existing projects.
They specifically said they need to develop more games.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
You are ignoring that Activision laid off staff in the very areas they said they need to staff up in. They laid off people to save money in the short term.
Do you have any reporting that state those staff members had the skills needed for the future of those departments?

Nothing I have came across claims that Activision is trying to achieve short term gains by firing roles they need.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

All of these problems are a direct result of Kotick's leadership and decisions though. They company is forecasting decline because Kotick made bad bets and misallocated development resources on projects that the company will no longer see revenue from.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
A game charges $20 for a skin and gamers rage at capitalism. A company fires 800 people while paying their CEO ridiculous amounts of money, and that's just good business.

Gamers are swine as far as labor rights go. They'll bitch and moan to the skies if they can't get Darth Vader in a game without paying extra, but they shrug when people lose their jobs to feed the beast that is these corporations.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you have any reporting that state those staff members had the skills needed for the future of those departments?

Nothing I have came across claims that Activision is trying to achieve short term gains by firing roles they need.
The reporting says they fired staff from High Moon studios and publishing staff that worked on Destiny. Those are roles that will be needed in the future, along with community management jobs and QA. The only things that are not a sure bet are the eSports jobs, but only because Activision may get out of eSports entirely. They are still doing Overwatch League though, and they use eSports to promote Call of Duty as well.

Rather than having studios like Raven and High Moon work only as support staff on games like Destiny and Call of Duty, they should've had them work on their own projects which could potentially drive revenue for the company. They've had success doing this with Toys for Bob and Vicarious Visions with the Spyro and Crash remakes.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
All of these problems are a direct result of Kotick's leadership and decisions though. They company is forecasting decline because Kotick made bad bets and misallocated development resources on projects that the company will no longer see revenue from.
True, but Blizzard did that too, i think some of the Blizzard execs deserve blame for thinking no Diablo sequel in almost a decade was a good idea & that Overwatch could keep trucking with it's 2016 profits despite the Battle Royale genre.
It's the same story though, no Blizzard execs will get fired for this, just the workers.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
Wholeheartedly agree with Jim's sentiment for once, lol. But it won't happen. Not in the economic society we're in.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I'm an Activision shareholder, I agree with Jim, I wanted more money and Booby failed me... let someone else try... .. . I really am a shareholder, I swear on me mum breh!

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
You guys really don't think Activision would have transitioned these employees to other divisions if they had relevant skills? It's way easier for companies to leverage exiting talent than to hire new unknown employees.

As for Kotick's responsibility, yes he is indeed responsible for making some bad bets this generation. That being said, when you're a consistently great CEO for 3 decades you definitely earn the benefit of the doubt from shareholders and management. The people getting laid off aren't being replaced with higher performance employees, their jobs are simply disappearing from the company.

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Another emotion filled, weak Jim video lacking all nuance and facts to advocate a simplistic solution that makes no sense.

Bobby Kotick isn't a decent human being because he doesn't make the vidya games you want?

I think the argument against him being a decent person are less towards preference of vidya games and more towards him shitcanning hundreds of people after stating that Activision had their most successful year on record.

But hey we're all just petulant children for wanting companies to act ethically I guess.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I think the argument against him being a decent person are less towards preference of vidya games and more towards him shitcanning hundreds of people after stating that Activision had their most successful year on record.

But hey we're all just petulant children for wanting companies to act ethically I guess.

Read more and you'd understand why those "record profits" means nothing.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
The reporting says they fired staff from High Moon studios and publishing staff that worked on Destiny. Those are roles that will be needed in the future, along with community management jobs and QA. The only things that are not a sure bet are the eSports jobs, but only because Activision may get out of eSports entirely. They are still doing Overwatch League though, and they use eSports to promote Call of Duty as well.

Rather than having studios like Raven and High Moon work only as support staff on games like Destiny and Call of Duty, they should've had them work on their own projects which could potentially drive revenue for the company. They've had success doing this with Toys for Bob and Vicarious Visions with the Spyro and Crash remakes.
You are shifting from discuss what is happening in the future and what has happened in the past. These roles are no longer existing. They are gone. Activision isn't doing anything shady for short term gains.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But they are being shitcanned because they are predicting the next year will be one of the worst ones on record.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True, but Blizzard did that too, i think some of the Blizzard execs deserve blame for thinking no Diablo sequel in almost a decade was a good idea & that Overwatch could keep trucking with it's 2016 profits despite the Battle Royale genre.
It's the same story though, no Blizzard execs will get fired for this, just the workers.
Sure, they are also responsible, but Kotick is the leadership of the company.
You guys really don't think Activision would have transitioned these employees to other divisions if they had relevant skills? It's way easier for companies to leverage exiting talent than to hire new unknown employees.

As for Kotick's responsibility, yes he is indeed responsible for making some bad bets this generation. That being said, when you're a consistently great CEO for 3 decades you definitely earn the benefit of the doubt from shareholders and management. The people getting laid off aren't being replaced with higher performance employees, their jobs are simply disappearing from the company.
Yes, because they didn't want staffing costs to go up. I think it's entirely possible that Activision cut these people loose to save money for the upcoming down year, and then will need to fill the positions after that.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are shifting from discuss what is happening in the future and what has happened in the past. These roles are no longer existing. They are gone. Activision isn't doing anything shady for short term gains.
What happened in the past is why they are in this situation. The employees are paying the price for Kotick's bad decisions. I find that unacceptable.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017

Yup yup yup. I don't at all mind people on Era not being knowledgeable about business (because people have to focus on cultivating their own interests, and business, to most people, is 'boring'). What I am shocked by is an arrogant, almost fetishistic embrace of that ignorance some people here have - as though they are not only fully comfortable and cognizant of speaking where they don't know what they're talking about, but are actually better than you morally or intellectually for doing so. It is like the mirror opposite of those right-wing politicians who swear there is no climate change, and actually insist their opinion carries more weight because they are not qualified scientists.