• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Activision has let go of people within roles they will need in the future for short term gains.
How is that false? They will need publishing staff, QA, community management, and the development roles they laid off again. It is inevitable, those roles are necessary for any publisher.
Just to prove my point, here is the relevant section from Jason Schrier's article about the layoffs:
People lost their jobs at King, the developer of Candy Crush, and at Activision's various development studios including Vicarious Visions (Albany, NY) and High Moon Studios (San Diego, CA), both of which had handled support on Destiny 2. Activision Blizzard staff in Europe, Latin America, and other regions across the world also lost their jobs. Some who were laid off wrote messages on social media to say goodbye, while developers all across the video game industry tried to help by posting job listings on Twitter and Facebook. Although the bulk of laid-off employees were support staff, some were in departments like art and design as well.

Last edited:

boi

Nov 1, 2017
He is going nowhere. He has a stake in the company and is on the board. Shareholders would need to vote him out. That is never going to happen.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a fucked up system where the ones responsible, the ones in charge get a shit ton of money for a position that can fuck up the entire company but in most cases get a huge compensation and still have mad millions upon millions.
While those who just try to make the games, the products are getting cut off, even while the company make huge profits.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Without the business model changing, firing Kotick will mean you get someone, possibly a wrose person, to replace him.

Bobby Kotick has kept Activision Blizzard humming and employs thousands for over a decade so there's that. I guess this is one issue where Jim's grandstanding is a bit obvious. Kotick is a target because he's always been a lightning rod dating back to a decade ago when Activision was the villain megapub. But there's nothing exceptionally bad about him over the other CEOs. I don't recall Jim making a video about firing Andrew Wilson over at EA despite him filleting EA's practices ever since the BFII fiasco almost 2 years ago now.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Jim is on crack and so are others that completely ignore the forecast which could be one of the worst on record.

Bobby won't get fired by any chance.
He has 30 years under his belt and turned Activision from nothing into what it is today while making those that could get rid of him a lot of money.
Did it once and can do it again so someone with such a record gets a bigger leash from those he made rich in the past.

How is that false? They will need publishing staff, QA, community management, and the development roles they laid off again. It is inevitable, those roles are necessary for any publisher.

So?
What are they doing until there is something to publish,QA and Community Manage?
Sitting around getting paid?

Once there is something they need them for they will hire for those positions again.
The same with Developers with certain skillsets they are hiring right now and maybe those let go couldn't provide or didn't fit the profile they searched for.

Most people fired have no role anymore in the given time or simply not needed anymore in those quantities.
With the shift of focus many people that don't provide the needed skillset they need right now or in the timeframe for the projected bad forecast had to go.

What is missing are good safety nets so these things won't be as impactful.

While those who just try to make the games, the products are getting cut off, even while the company make huge profits.

Majority of people that got fired had nothing to do with "making games".
A guy managing a twitter account or reading forum posts has no impact on that and those for the most part were completely untouched.
They are actually hiring developers because focus is shifting into a different direction.

Bobby also has 30 years of experience and mostly a perfect record.You don't get rid of someone like him that quick.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Activision has already announced they will be operating at a loss in Fiscal Year 2020. Those "record" profits are backwards looking, investment is forward looking. Those jobs were cut as a reaction to the loss they will be suffering this year. Their share price has dropped over 40% in the past 4 months, a change was needed. Kotick is doing his job as CEO of a publicly traded corporation. The fact that people can't seem to grasp this most basic fact is baffling. But, apparently he's obligated to keep around a bunch of jobs that lose Activision money and are no longer a part of their business strategy.
Maybe the whole video is about how that should be happening. Maybe the whole video is about how those jobs shouldn't be cut because of losses because of the reasons for the loss are because in the economic system we have continuous growth into infinitum is not possible. And maybe you shouldn't mindlessly spout " This is why this happening " with out looking at the human cost.

He even gives examples of how other CEO's were able to take money out of their own pockets to do just fine

So again, did you miss all of that

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
What I am shocked by is an arrogant, almost fetishistic embrace of that ignorance some people here have - as though they are not only fully comfortable and cognizant of speaking where they don't know what they're talking about, but are actually better than you morally or intellectually for doing so.

Agreed.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jim is on crack and so are others that completely ignore the forecast which could be one of the worst on record.

Bobby won't get fired by any chance.
He has 30 years under his belt and turned Activision from nothing into what it is today while making those that could get rid of him a lot of money.
Did it once and can do it again so someone with such a record gets a bigger leash from those he made rich in the past.

So?
What are they doing until there is something to publish,QA and Community Manage?
Sitting around getting paid?

Once there is something they need them for they will hire for those positions again.
The same with Developers with certain skillsets they are hiring right now and maybe those let go couldn't provide or didn't fit the profile they searched for.

Most people fired have no role anymore in the given time or simply not needed anymore in those quantities.
With the shift of focus many people that don't provide the needed skillset they need right now or in the timeframe for the projected bad forecast had to go.

What is missing are good safety nets so these things won't be as impactful.

Majority of people that got fired had nothing to do with "making games".
A guy managing a twitter account or reading forum posts has no impact on that and those for the most part were completely untouched.
They are actually hiring developers because focus is shifting into a different direction.

Bobby also has 30 years of experience and mostly a perfect record.You don't get rid of someone like him that quick.
Activision is still publishing games. They still have communities that need managed. They are still developing games that need Q/A. And they absolutely need the art and design positions at studios like High Moon and Vicarious Visions, if they want those studios to start making their own projects again. Bolster the publishing, Q/A, and development teams for existing projects to retain the talent, and then move them onto the new projects when they are ready. That's how you avoid making the employees suffer for the bad decisions of management.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
There's a number of issues wrong with the video though:

- No mention of loss of Destiny franchise. Lots of People tied up in this which no longer exists.
- No mention of Blizzards output in 2019 which has support functions at Blizzard literally doing nothing.
- Mentions the industry is seeing major declines in developer jobs yet they didn't let go of developers.
- No mention of the forecasted decline in revenue of some $1b in 2019.
- Only talks revenue and rarely talks profits.
- Keeps faulting the stock market inflation on Bobby when that's a fault of speculative and irrational investors. The entire market nose dived in October of last year.

I mean the layoffs are fucking awful and no company should have to deal with them if they don't have to but videos like this are why I don't put a lot of weight in business discussion among video game enthusiasts. They don't know what the hell they are talking about. They don't understand income statements. They very rarely have ever worked in a major corporation. They don't understand stock markets. They don't understand compensation plans. He's literally just reacting to headlines of news outlets without really putting my effort into understanding the economics and story himself.

sensible post!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Maybe the whole video is about how that should be happening. Maybe the whole video is about how those jobs shouldn't be cut because of losses because of the reasons for the loss are because in the economic system we have continuous growth into infinitum is not possible. And maybe you shouldn't mindlessly spout " This is why this happening " with out looking at the human cost.

He even gives examples of how other CEO's were able to take money out of their own pockets to do just fine

So again, did you miss all of that

Other than Iwata and some higher ups in Nintendo, did he mention other CEOs? I mean, say Kotick cut his actual salary. How many jobs would he save? Like I said before, it's almost impossible to have large scale layoffs in Japan to save money, so while Iwata is a saint and I'm not disputing that, it was largely ceremonial and it's not like Nintendo has never laid off anyone in their international offices.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Kotick is a piece of shit. Fuck Activision, and fuck the apathetic shrug towards 800 people losing their jobs, not because the company made bad bets, but because... well, it would make the margins look nicer. All the while, higher ups will never be held responsible for the people they fucked over.

Fuck Kotick, and fuck the culture that allows this shit.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Honestly there is something wrong with the way stocks and companies operate in general. But it hasnt been figured out yet

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I am shocked by is an arrogant, almost fetishistic embrace of that ignorance some people here have - as though they are not only fully comfortable and cognizant of speaking where they don't know what they're talking about, but are actually better than you morally or intellectually for doing so.

That's kind of Jimquisition in a nutshell. "Man with no game development experience dictates how games should be developed."

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Other than Iwata and some higher ups in Nintendo, did he mention other CEOs? I mean, say Kotick cut his actual salary. How many jobs would he save? Like I said before, it's almost impossible to have large scale layoffs in Japan to save money, so while Iwata is a saint and I'm not disputing that, it was largely ceremonial and it's not like Nintendo has never laid off anyone in their international offices.
Right, which is a good thing. It should be almost impossible to have large scale layoffs to save money in the US as well. Iwata's pay cut was symbolic, but it speaks to Nintendo's culture and how they value their employees. Other Japanese companies are prevented from doing mass layoffs, so they just demote or put employees in a closet until they quit (see Konami). Nintendo doesn't engage in those practices either. Companies like Ubisoft and Nintendo should be the model for all big publishers when it comes to how they value their labor.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always funny to me how rich fucks always have some kind of defense force.
The ones that are too big to fall, never helt accountable, that do tax evation, fight former workers with legal shit etc pp.
And this all over the web. Why? I don't understand why you defend these people but not the ones that get exploited by
a broken system and have to live in poverty, fear of getting fired and on the edge of burnout.

Yeah maybe there will be a decline in revenue for this year. So what? There has always been an up and down in the market.
Goes down when a gen is doing to end and is goes up during a new gen. And no, you can'te demand a new game from every studio,
every fucking year. We're not in the 80s anymore. Games are huge and complex and need time if they want to be considered AAA.
But that is not a reason to fire people. You're loweing the moral, the effectiveness and will fire people with huge knowledge.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Right, which is a good thing. It should be almost impossible to have large scale layoffs to save money in the US as well. Iwata's pay cut was symbolic, but it speaks to Nintendo's culture and how they value their employees. Other Japanese companies are prevented from doing mass layoffs, so they just demote or put employees in a closet until they quit (see Konami). Nintendo doesn't engage in those practices either. Companies like Ubisoft and Nintendo should be the model for all big publishers when it comes to how they value their labor.

I do think a byproduct of this is that you don't expand as rapidly (because you can't cut as rapidly) so you run really lean and overwork your current resources. But that happens here too.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017

- No mention of loss of Destiny franchise. Lots of People tied up in this which no longer exists.
- No mention of Blizzards output in 2019 which has support functions at Blizzard literally doing nothing.
- Mentions the industry is seeing major declines in developer jobs yet they didn't let go of developers.
- Keeps faulting the stock market inflation on Bobby when that's a fault of speculative and irrational investors. The entire market nose dived in October of last year.

I mean the layoffs are fucking awful and no company should have to deal with them if they don't have to but videos like this are why I don't put a lot of weight in business discussion among video game enthusiasts. They don't know what the hell they are talking about. They don't understand income statements. They very rarely have ever worked in a major corporation. They don't understand stock markets. They don't understand compensation plans. He's literally just reacting to headlines of news outlets without really putting my effort into understanding the economics and story himself.
shut up corporate apologist!11!11! /s

Well put, I come to this forum to read and learn about stuff, not posting shit that I don't know anything about and try to act smart, intellectual and other bullshit. Others might do well to just shut up, read and learn something, which doesn't have anything to do wheter or not you want (lol) Bobby Kotick fired.

That's kind of Jimquisition in a nutshell. "Man with no game development experience dictates how games should be developed."
Which is why I don't really understand why people go fucking nuts over his videos. It's one thing to talk about MTX as a consumer (I'm not faulting him on these kind of videos, it's great to have a voice against that bullshit) but trying to act like he knows how development and business of a game company works? Come the fuck on.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, fire Bobby Kotick and hire Jim Sterling... they'll liquidating assets and firing 10x as many employees in under a year.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
As per usual, Jim is not wrong in a lot of points, but sadly there's no way Activision is firing the dude bringing in the money, regardless of the means. Not defending the dude, he's a piece of shit, but sadly that's how the system works, as intended, and with no signs that is ever gonna change.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do think a byproduct of this is that you don't expand as rapidly (because you can't cut as rapidly) so you run really lean and overwork your current resources. But that happens here too.
You can avoid that by staffing appropriately. Activision has enough revenue and profit that they can afford to staff appropriately for projects, and they can eat the higher staffing costs caused by prior misuse of resources. The game industry needs to unionize so that they can actually demand those terms rather than mass layoffs to save money.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jim needs to stay in his lane. You may not like that they aren't making the games that you want to play, but the CEO is making money for his shareholders.

For non-business ERA, what do you think the goal of a company is? You keep on asking them to make "good content" but you keep on giving them money anyway.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017

Downside of this is that it fucks over new people entering the job market. if you don't have education from top university or some connections it's hard as hell to get your first proper job in japan because companies are less willing to hire people as it's almost impossible to lay them off if something happens.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just to prove my point, here is the relevant section from Jason Schrier's article about the layoffs:
Why would they hold on to Destiny support when the makers of Destiny just left the company?

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused. He doesn't seem to be claiming the guy failed to make the shareholders money. That is Koticks's only job and he has been doing it well for some time. You all can talk about his character and all the bad things you want to happen to him, but firing him wouldn't make any sense.

I'm left-wing, but there's a difference between that and being willfully blind.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jim needs to stay in his lane. You may not like that they aren't making the games that you want to play, but the CEO is making money for his shareholders.

For non-business ERA, what do you think the goal of a company is? You keep on asking them to make "good content" but you keep on giving them money anyway.
That's not the point of this video. Jim is responding to the fact that the company is facing losses due to Kotick's decisions, and the employees are the ones paying the price for those mistakes.

Firing Kotick is not a realistic proposition, but Jim is attempting to call attention to the fact that 1. Kotick is ultimately the one responsible for Activision's current situation and 2. He's not the one paying the price.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Downside of this is that it fucks over new people entering the job market. if you don't have education from top university or some connections it's hard as hell to get your first proper job in japan because companies are less willing to hire people as it's almost impossible to lay them off if something happens.
There is a happy medium between the two.
Why would they hold on to Destiny support when the makers of Destiny just left the company?
Because those staff can work on other games, someone who does publishing, Q/A, or dev support for Destiny can do that work on other projects.

Ternary

Feb 18, 2019
Game workers need to unionize desperately but it's gonna be an uphill struggle. Even when they're tolerated management often hijacks them to create deceptive "business unions" that further stratify the power differential between employer and employee and erode the workers' ability to collectively bargain even further.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't make any sense for Activision to fire Kotick when they're getting historical profits. All these videos lately only look like Jim is trying to cash in on the "gamers rise up" audience to get more money on Patreon. Because sure, layoffs shouldn't occur and capitalism is a flawed system, but not a single shareholder at Activision is going to ask for Kotick's resignation after keeping the company alive for 30 years. It's just common sense.

traveler

Oct 26, 2017
Firing kotick won't stop this kind of behavior. He's not the problem, nor are even the shareholders. The problem is capitalism, and until a working superior alternative is devised, this stuff will keep happening. It's easy to picture the shareholders as detached rich assholes, but they're also funds that provide for the retirement and well being of the less privileged too.

I get Jim's ire here but ultimately this is a much bigger problem than kotick

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
That's not the point of this video. Jim is responding to the fact that the company is facing losses due to Kotick's decisions, and the employees are the ones paying the price for those mistakes.

Firing Kotick is not a realistic proposition, but Jim is attempting to call attention to the fact that 1. Kotick is ultimately the one responsible for Activision's current situation and 2. He's not the one paying the price.
Apparently some people seemingly think you have to be Paul Krugman to understand why Kotick is a piece of shit and why this situation is fucked up. Lots of counter circle jerks here just against Jim without actually addressing why his point about this specifically is wrong

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't that part of the problem that the job of a CEO is to make money for the shareholders instead of leading a company to long-term success?
Who is telling you they are are mutually exclusive? Success is measured by profit to the shareholders. He has a legal obligation to maximize said profits and has been doing so for an absurdly long-time.

He has already been delivering long-term success and there's no reason to think he won't continue to do so.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Man, thanks. Because the whole post is killing me. It's like nobody watched the video or is reading anyone's point

Guys, THE WHOLE POINT IS IF THE COMPANY GOT BLOATED WHERE THEY HAD AN EXTRA 800 EMPLOYEES, WHO MADE THAT DECISION.

it's the whole point of the video. But everyone is like shareholder value har har, 'jim never owned a business' har har.

At the end of the day if 8% of the workforce is redundant, that 8% is responsible for a drain on future profit loss, and they are letting the 8% go AFTER they've already drained all the company revenue, someone made that decision. Someone, who presumably when the bucks start rolling in will add another large amount of workforce just to drag the company down again 5-10 years later, which is why they need to fucking go for, and this is for you shareholder fans out there, shareholder LONG TERM value.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
But you gotta try this cheesecake

Bobby has played a long long game. 800 development staff mean nothing to him.
They didn't let go of development staff, though. The layoffs affected eSports and other departments that aren't specifically about making games, but other ventures tied to gaming. It still sucks that so many people lost their jobs, but let's keep things straight here. Activision cut those jobs because they're related to ventures that they experimented with, lost money on, and want to get out of before the real financial hit comes in the next year.

Again, it still sucks that that so many were laid off. But they weren't development staff.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Man, thanks. Because the whole post is killing me. It's like nobody watched the video or is reading anyone's point

Guys, THE WHOLE POINT IS IF THE COMPANY GOT BLOATED WHERE THEY HAD AN EXTRA 800 EMPLOYEES, WHO MADE THAT DECISION.

it's the whole point of the video. But everyone is like shareholder value har har, 'jim never owned a business' har har.

At the end of the day if 8% of the workforce is redundant, that 8% is responsible for a drain on future profit loss, and they are letting the 8% go AFTER they've already drained all the company revenue, someone made that decision. Someone, who presumably when the bucks start rolling in will add another large amount of workforce just to drag the company down again 5-10 years later, which is why they need to fucking go for, and this is for you shareholder fans out there, shareholder LONG TERM value.

Weren't some of these (like esports) Morhaime's baby? He's gone, they're axed. Nobody seems to mention this, though. Also both CFO's left. Activision's CFO got fired and Blizzard's CFO left.

There was actually a fair bit of movement in Activision's top brass:
https://variety.com/2019/gaming/new...activision-king-emerging-business-1203103289/

Granted, these guys are not struggling financially or anything, but it's not fair to say that they didn't make changes at the top.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Success is measured by profit to the shareholders
That is the whole problem in this fucked up system. Seen time and time again that shareholders and the stock market doesn't measure success like any normal human being would do. Fucking Apple lost 30% of it's market value because they only made billions in income but less than years before.
Why? Because you can't expand until the end of time and the value exploded much more than the company was worth. It's fucking insane

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Activision is still publishing games. They still have communities that need managed. They are still developing games that need Q/A. And they absolutely need the art and design positions at studios like High Moon and Vicarious Visions, if they want those studios to start making their own projects again. Bolster the publishing, Q/A, and development teams for existing projects to retain the talent, and then move them onto the new projects when they are ready. That's how you avoid making the employees suffer for the bad decisions of management.

I mean in the future they may need that depending on their direction, sure. Is it possible that they don't need that right now though?

I guess I'm just not huge on the "well they will need these people eventually so Activision is making a mistake by not keeping them now" assuming that there is an equal need for a community manager tomorrow compared to today and priorities with hiring don't shift at all.

traveler

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think shareholders are going to give kotick the axe over bloat incurred from failed iniatives when you have decades of success from him. Even if we hold him accountable for all the blizzard and destiny failures or whatever, it doesn't take him to expendable given his longer record of positive value to the company.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That is the whole problem in this fucked up system. Seen time and time again that shareholders and the stock market doesn't measure success like any normal human being would do. Fucking Apple lost 30% of it's market value because they only made billions in income but less than years before.
Why? Because you can't expand until the end of time and the value exploded much more than the company was worth. It's fucking insane
What does that have to do with firing Kotick? He should be fired after you just admitted it's the system around him that's at fault? How is it right to fire a person for doing a damn good job of the damn job they were hired to do?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Weren't some of these (like esports) Morhaime's baby? He's gone, they're axed. Nobody seems to mention this, though. Also both CFO's left. Activision's CFO got fired and Blizzard's CFO left.

There was actually a fair bit of movement in Activision's top brass:
https://variety.com/2019/gaming/new...activision-king-emerging-business-1203103289/

1)The article frames it as a change up after the CFO left for Square
2)A switch up doesn't mean that there's any actual consequences or controls put in place for this not to happen again
2)Bringing it back to Jim's point, the buck should stop with the CEO if the company finds itself where 8% of its workforce is redundant.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The e-sport guy is gone though, along with almost everyone working on e-sport. The head does take responsibility.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017

None of that excuses the fact that Kotick's salary is greater than the 800 people laid off combined.