• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
This is awful, really sounds like they are saving what they can from the inside and going to let the rest burn itself out. Hard to believe it'll be just gone but it sounds like they don't really have a choice.

They really don't. That fire was huge, and even if they somehow put it out, anything that it got near would have to be deemed structurally unsound and be torn down anyway. Either the fire claims it or it gets knocked down afterwards.

Better to spend all effort on saving any buildings near it.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Flat-earthers weren't a thing since Ancient Greece

I was going to take issue with the thing about the Americas but yeah. Like, despite a certain popular belief in the claim, Columbus was not fighting against the the powers-that-be who thought the earth was flat so much as basically nobody believed he could make the journey because it would be too long to travel by boat should there be naught but uninterrupted waters. Granted, there was stuff interrupting the waters, it turned out.

I think you can be at a bit more ease. The burning of the Libraries of Alexandria was awful because back then, documentation wasn't as widespread and the library had some world exclusive tomes and knowledge. That was a real loss of history. Notre Dame's history, relics, artifacts etc. have been documented by now well over a couple of decades and the knowledge is stored all across the world. The only loss here is the physical building which is sad on its own, but not a tragedy in the same sense.

It sucks, but it isn't the end for Notre Dames history. I think we will see a restoration program in due time where we will see it rebuilt to the smallest detail.

Yeah this is where I am on the matter. It's unfortunate for the likely loss in tourism revenue and the potential long-term health consequences for the people around it, but the only personal loss I feel is that I'll never actually get to see it, which is a pretty abstract concern. The loss of culture is real but this is one reason that so much documentation of the artifacts within exists, because there's always the potential for things like this to happen.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
This is sad. It was the first landmark I and my family visited when we went to Paris a couple of years ago.

flatschki

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kinkaku-ji_the_Golden_Temple_in_Kyoto_overlooking_the_lake_-_high_rez.JPG
Burned_Kinkaku.jpg

Absolutely horrible. I was close to tears watching the spire collapse. Notre Dame needs to be rebuild, come what may, just like other cultural landmarks. Reminded me of the arson at Kinkakuji, which has been rebuild as well.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Holy shit, that's horrible. Always wanted to see it in person, so I hope they'll save and restore it.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize this thread was made exclusively to make people "feel better." The poster felt like reflecting on the fragility of life. All and all a pretty vanilla opinion to call someone a cunt over.

The building is of emotional value to people. You lose something close to you and have people go '¯\_(ツ)_/¯ good reminder it happens', see how you would react to that.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
We deserve to eventually know what kind of negligence led to this. Fire prevention in the construction industry is a top obsession. For this to happen during restoration of one of the prime historical landmarks in the world? The level of negligence would have to be absolutely off the charts.

This is hitting me hard, I can't imagine how the French themselves are feeling today. Just horrible.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god... the orange turd is live and he's already saying stupid shit. Holy crap, getting applause by turning the attention on himself. Fuck him and his fans.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Such a tragedy! The first thing I saw about this was the video with the spire collapsing on Twitter and it broke my heart. I manage to see it several times in the past ten years but that made things worse somehow as it's almost personal. Fucking sad.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I'd assume this cathedral, like many other buildings, has been thoroughly 3d mapped from every angle, so that with as much will have been lost, they can at least rebuild the structure identically?

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is awful, really sounds like they are saving what they can from the inside and going to let the rest burn itself out. Hard to believe it'll be just gone but it sounds like they don't really have a choice.
Trying to fight it more aggressively would unfortunately risk even more damage. Those stones are obscenely hot right now and water could cause even more significant structural damage to the walls etc.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's devastating to see.

And peeps, there already is a staff post.
Just report the obvious trolling cases. Don't endlessly quote them and further shit up the thread that way.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm devastated by this. I almost want to just take the day off work because of this. Notre Dame was one of the most beautiful churches I've been to and seeing like this is just heartbreaking.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is just unbelievably tragic. I hope they can save at least some of the building.

850 years...damn thing is 850 years old. It makes America as a country seem like a baby.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I'd assume this cathedral, like many other buildings, has been thoroughly 3d mapped from every angle, so that with as much will have been lost, they can at least rebuild the structure identically?
Yes of course and it will take decades to rebuild this
But stained glass windows, paintings, relics are probably lost

And this monument is 855 years old, has seen world wars, etc... this is sad

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Ugh I wanted to go to Paris for the first time in a year. This is crushing :( Not sure why anyone would be celebrating this, I'm as atheist as they come but cathedrals are beautiful structures

jani

Nov 9, 2017
Finland
What i don't understand is that when these historic buildings are renovated/repaired why there isn't round the clock monitoring/guard on site untill it's finished.. sure it might cost but rebuilding from the ashes is quite a bit more expensive not to mention the loss of history which is priceless..

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Fucking awful. My wife and I have been planning a trip to Europe that was going to take place in 2021 and this was definitely on the list of things to see. Such a loss.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh I wanted to go to Paris for the first time in a year. This is crushing :( Not sure why anyone would be celebrating this, I'm as atheist as they come but cathedrals are beautiful structures
Assholes using being atheists for their excuse to be assholes, nothing more. Sucks for the majority of us who aren't... but every group has them.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, always would of loved to seen the cathedral in person. Just one of those historical landmarks you assume will always be there. Sad a piece of history is gone. Yeah they can and probably will rebuild, just doesn't feel the same.