• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Yeah, there actually usually is in a way. Especially on "hot" jobs, like with iron workers for example, in the construction industry you'll have basically a fire watch team there at all times ready to pounce, and what's more, they stick around for hours after that particular "hot" task is done, to make sure that nothing was kindled. That this was able to happen is absolutely mindblowing.

Who the fuck organized this renovation.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I would hope once all is said and done whoever is in charge manages to put the funds together to rebuild the site. I can see the project bringing a lot of different people together in support.

i'm sure france will definitely have a lot of trouble putting together money to rebuild their second most world-renowned landmark

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
It's so terrible that there seems to be no way to stop the fire. From the TV pictures it appears they "just" try to save the front towers and gave up on the rest.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're not talking about some ancient abandoned relic. This place has at any given time dozens of not hundreds of people watching it, including security.

How the hell does a fire start and is not contained for it to be this bad?

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish people would stop with the "Just rebuild it" idea. I get that's meant to be uplifting but you cannot rebuild it.
This is not just a cathedral this is history. Even if you perfectly recreate it, it will never be the same. Never. And that's not even mentioning all the art inside that will be lost forever now. Fuck.

I'm not even hugely into art but this is tearing me apart.

netprints

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is so sad. I was there in 2009 and would love to go back. France can rebuild some of this but some of the relics are now lost forever.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah... A tower is burning. Fuck.

The blacked windows isn't a good sign the interior is safe : it's soot blackening them.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is hitting me real deep. It's more or less halted me at work and go out for air. Genuinely made plans to take my daughter to see this when I eventually take her to France and try and show her why I love Paris so much :(. Fucking gutted.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How awful, absolutely terrible.

p.s. I know some of you enjoy wallowing in your own misery as you read the random garbage Trump tweets out, but some of us really don't. Please stop with that shit in threads that really don't need it.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
We're not talking about some ancient abandoned relic. This place has at any given time dozens of not hundreds of people watching it, including security.

Like others have mentioned it looks like the fire started in the active construction area of the cathedral. The construction contractors probably had their own firewatch, security, etc separate from the cathedral's.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Damn, this is awful. Those stained glass windows were beautiful.
notre-dame-south-rose-window.jpg.638x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg
For perspective on just how MASSIVE this structure is, the diameter of this window is over 43 feet wide.

The windows ALONE are almost the size of this statue:
IMG_2306_g2i2.JPG

Even if restoration moves forward, it's going to be a colossal endeavor.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a NOVA doc I watched a couple years ago that talks about the building of Cathedrals. Really interesting stuff.

Wow this is just crazy. It's really sad to me to lose history like this.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I remember while I was there and I didn't really wanted to stay in silly long line to get in. But I would just stroll around and hang out in front of Notre Dame, standing and smoking, just looking at it. Something truly special, especially after dusk.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, if the fire is propagating to the belltowers then it must be terrible inside.

I truly hope no fire fighter gets hurt.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, this is killing me. I wanted so bad to visit Paris one day to visit the beautiful city landmarks, Notre Dame obviously among them. I'm crushed.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

They had closed down the cathedral to prepare for mass, that's why there were no injuries and once the fire took it was too late to do anything.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If it burns the supports holding up that bell it's gonna come down like an anvil

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the marvels of the world going in flames...

People at work told me there was construction going on inside and the fire may be due to that?

Please tell me it's not some dumb fuck who wanted to get attention.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of the belltowers is now on fire too :(

Seriously? I hoped that this would eventually be spared from the fire. Damn.

One of the marvels of the world going in flames...

People at work told me there was construction going on inside and the fire may be due to that?

Please tell me it's not some dumb fuck who wanted to get attention.

I was there in September of last year and the restoration (then) was only on the outside. Or at least only visible on the outside, inside showed nothing that was happening. I doubt someone wanted attention and that this truly is a terrible accident.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish people would stop with the "Just rebuild it" idea. I get that's meant to be uplifting but you cannot rebuild it.
This is not just a cathedral this is history. Even if you perfectly recreate it, it will never be the same. Never. And that's not even mentioning all the art inside that will be lost forever now. Fuck.

Last I checked the art was being evacuated and the bronze statues were already removed due to restoration. Additionally several parts of Notre Dame, including the spire, were already not original as they were reconstructed over time. The restoration project they had underway would've done a lot of replacement too as those centuries old wood had to be replaced at some point. It's sad but it's the nature of these things, at the very least we can hope for the stone structure to survive and have everything rebuilt.

Oct 27, 2017

The cathedral's stones have been replaced so many times during restoration campaigns that very few if any of them are the original ones. Does this mean it's the same cathedral or a different one?

Nov 21, 2017
Fuck.... this is terrible. I never got the chance to visit. This hurts so much as a history major... One of the most historical buildings in history.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Breaks my heart that the beautiful round stained glass window is probably destroyed now. I haven't been there myself, but I fought a bad guy in front of it in AC: Unity and even then i thought it was cool, imagining how much better it must look IRL.