• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I haven't shit on anyone. You're readibg into things that don't exist. Only people telling me to fuck off. Check the receipts.
Imagine lacking this much tact and self awareness in situations where you've visibly upset a number of people and still insist that you're in the right, parading the fact that you're free to continue posting as you have been.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
People coming here and posting nihilistic "everything will be gone" stuff knowing exactly what response they will get and then they are *shocked pikachu* when getting proper response. Jesus. Like atheists who always must point out to believers that they're wrong.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Isn't it harder to make intricate structures like this now because the craftmanship required is lacking compared to then? I remember hearing about that when reading about the Sagrada Familia one
The construction of Sagrada Familia is actually getting faster because of the advancement in computer aided design. They now have a complete 3D model of the building and things can be manufactured digitally.
It's gonna be different for Notre Dame, because you want to restore it to how it was before which means utilizing a lot of traditional techniques.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks this happened but at the end of the day it's just a building. Seems like this is nature's way of saying it's time for an update.
I hope you are not american, becuase with this type of shit, you only give americans a bad name in terms of history and architecture.

And even if you are not, wtf is wrong with you.

EDIT
Oh, just read your other messages, just another idiot nihilist.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Being entirely ignorant of fire fighting, why couldn't you just get one of those forest fire tanker planes to just dump water on the structure? I'm assuming the concern would be the force of the water maybe doing further damage to the structure?

Thats right. They are hoping to save more from the fire than would be destroyed if they dumped several tons of water onto the structure, weak as it already is now.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Being entirely ignorant of fire fighting, why couldn't you just get one of those forest fire tanker planes to just dump water on the structure? I'm assuming the concern would be the force of the water maybe doing further damage to the structure?
In addition to the weight of the water, there is the risk of not hitting the target. This risk runs hitting other people and/or damaging other buildings.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Those who say "who cares" should know it's like people saying who cares at 9/11 - not because of casualties but as a world monument that will never be the same again

It was a part of paris

Doomg0d

Mar 26, 2019
I hope the hunchback is alright.

its really sad to see something that old being wiped away into nothing but ash. I know a restoration is most likely out of the picture but I hope they took lotsa pictures over the past 700 years so they can at least build another one.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I am heartbroken at the likely collapse of one of the greatest structures of European history, and probably of modern humankind. Even more tragic is the likelihood that this fire won't be stopped anytime soon. I need to contact my relatives in Paris to get a better idea of how bad this will get.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
Not catholic but in 2016 I had the opportunity to attend Sunday Mass at the cathedral and it was a really great experience and one of the highlights of my trip. The cathedral is absolutely beautiful and I would always recommend folks check it out when they visit Paris.

I'm extremely sad to see this news. Assuming it can't be rebuilt/repaired I wonder what they'll do with the site.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who knows very very little about architecture, that's really fascinating.

I'd have presumed that anything that was done previously, can simply be replicated to a t given the advances in technology.

(But that's my lack of knowledge showing)

Was there any mention of the specific techniques?

Nope. if I find the thread I'll post it here.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
I think it hurts us all right in the heart. This is so sad. We are part of a sad part of history.

Oct 27, 2017
this post reads like you're some edgelord 16 year old bud, step away from the computer a bit.
What are you talking about?
When 9/11 happened the buildings were also cultural monuments. But we rebuilt there. All I'm saying is this isn't the end of the French cultural impact because a building burnt down. Time to come together and make something even more monumental.

If all you see from my posts are nihilism then you aren't actually reading them. Just assuming what you want to. Humanity made Notre Dame. We can make other things now. I'm saying is a clean slate and a look to an even better future (maybe). But you guys can keep misjudging my posts as much as you want to.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Weren't you besides yourself a few days ago when some random bot with 85k followers !! liked you on instagram ? Don't talk to us about "misplaced self worth" please.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

nwc0oaG.gif

When 9/11 happened the buildings were also cultural monuments. But we rebuilt there. All I'm saying is this isn't the end of the French cultural impact because a building burnt down. Time to come together and make something even more monumental.

If all you see from my posts are nihilism then you aren't actually reading them. Just assuming what you want to. Humanity made Notre Dame. We can make other things now. I'm saying is a clean slate and a look to an even better future (maybe). But you guys can keep misjudging my posts as much as you want to.

it's like parody at this point, do you even read what you write you loon?

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine being this ignorant you don't see the harm in your words and how much you're pissing people off. It's like you want to be the most ignored member here

People have been banned for less... It's fucking pathetic and honestly insulting to anyone who cares about what this represents.

Do us all a favor? Leave the fucking thread.

No one wants to wade through your edge-lord garbage to discuss this. Just... Leave the thread. Please.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
The deputy mayor just confirmed on CBSN that a lot of art was taken out of the building when the fire broke out.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly! Wikipedia claims the restoration that Victor Hugo's book inspired took only 25 years. No idea if current technology would make that sort of timeline more feasible (or just how bad the state the building was in, in the 1800s), but I think especially compared to the Enlightenment era it's going to be a lot easier to find motivation/political will/probably even funding to do the restoration.
The construction of the Sagrada Família started in 1882 and, after revolutionaries set parts of it and the blueprints on fire during the Spanish Civil War in 1936, it isn't even close to being finished.

I know, apples and oranges. It's good to be optimistic though.

May 26, 2018
Those who say "who cares" should know it's like people saying who cares at 9/11 - not because of casualties but as a world monument that will never be the same again

It was a part of paris

I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but this was kind of how I was with 9/11 the morning of. "It's just some buildings... nothing is going to change..."

But I was 12 years old. And in shock. It was hard for me to comprehend everything that was happening.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats right. They are hoping to save more from the fire than would be destroyed if they dumped several tons of water onto the structure, weak as it already is now.
Plus superheated stone and water causes even more issues as stones crack, explode etc. It really is a case where they have to just hope when the fire goes out the shell is intact

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I was lucky to go there in 2010.

Beautiful place. When you are there and imagine how many people steped on those stairs, you shiver over how far humanity has reached.
The cultural value of that place is outstanding.

NeoGold123

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Dude, it's time to stop doubling down, read the room, and just make an exit. Maybe there was some miscommunication, but you've made your opinion known.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to quote and draw attention to them, but anyone drawing comparisons to other tragic events... please don't. We don't need a tragic oneupmanship game going on to satisfy anyone's sense of nationalism or ego. Notre Dame is burning, and that's a sentence I couldn't have imagined typing this morning. It's a tragedy happening in this moment.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I'm an atheist and I'm not French, but this saddens me to no end. Structures like the Notre Dame are more than mere buildings, they are entities, a part of human history and a kind of an old friend and companion to the millions and millions of people that lived by it during centuries. :(

I've been there, it was a neat building. I'm atheist and buildings like this that perpetuate religion bother me in some ways. I don't care about any of it other than it was a massive beautiful structure. I won't shit on people who want to grieve, but I do think that perspective needs to be given with regard to those saying it was this massive religious loss for Paris, when Paris is one of the most irreligious cities in the entire world. I am not French though, so that's all I'll say about it.

Dec 2, 2017

So you don't see any error in shitting all over peoples feelings about a priceless piece of history and culture now being gone?

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand

If all you see from my posts are nihilism then you aren't actually reading them. Just assuming what you want to. Humanity made Notre Dame. We can make other things now. [not the point] I'm saying is a clean slate and a look to an even better future (maybe). But you guys can keep misjudging my posts as much as you want to.

Last thought - this is woefully void of understanding the humanities and the idea of sacred spaces. That building is France, friend. She is the wrapping of theology and empire, of literature and beauty, that echoes from our past into today.

She is a building of breathtaking human achievement tied to an era when humans shouldn't have been able to make it. Yet we did, and we dedicated it to God.

It is not replaceable. Please have some empathy.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Could care less for the building, hope everyone is safe and that no one gets hurt while the fires continue to blaze.

"Couldn't"

At least get the saying right if you're going to go out like that.

On topic, I hate this. The wife and I had this on our list of places to go bucket list wise, it will stay on the list in the hopes that they restore it. It's going to be one heck of an endeavor. Glad to see people are safe. Hope all the firefighters get through the end safely.

The relics seem to have been saved.

Oh wow, awesome news if true!