• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Consider it took 100+ years to complete the damn thing and the things it withstood and that it survived. Perspective is needed at times like this. It's not just any other Church or building that's burning down. It's mind-boggling and perhaps this will make us give further appreciation for other monuments to history that do exist.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
When 9/11 happened the buildings were also cultural monuments. But we rebuilt there. All I'm saying is this isn't the end of the French cultural impact because a building burnt down. Time to come together and make something even more monumental.

If all you see from my posts are nihilism then you aren't actually reading them. Just assuming what you want to. Humanity made Notre Dame. We can make other things now. I'm saying is a clean slate and a look to an even better future (maybe). But you guys can keep misjudging my posts as much as you want to.
The Twin Towers were ~30 year old office buildings at the time. Quite a difference from a centuries old cathedral.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
When 9/11 happened the buildings were also cultural monuments. But we rebuilt there. All I'm saying is this isn't the end of the French cultural impact because a building burnt down. Time to come together and make something even more monumental.

If all you see from my posts are nihilism then you aren't actually reading them. Just assuming what you want to. Humanity made Notre Dame. We can make other things now. I'm saying is a clean slate and a look to an even better future (maybe). But you guys can keep misjudging my posts as much as you want to.

Never had done this on my (internet) life, but I honestly hope you get banned for this.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
D4OAr8_X4AAdCMD

Fuck. Fuck. If I ever saw that image in person like that it would be burned into my brain for the rest of my life.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Please hit the Report button people. I did my thing, but it seems like he's still not banned.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
This is bumming me out so much.

Saw it from outside as a kid, but I don't remember going inside... This sucks so hard :(

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'm not going to quote and draw attention to them, but anyone drawing comparisons to other tragic events... please don't. We don't need a tragic oneupmanship game going on to satisfy anyone's sense of nationalism or ego. Notre Dame is burning, and that's a sentence I couldn't have imagined typing this morning. It's a tragedy happening in this moment.

9/11 comparisons need to stop. They really really really do.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Last thought - this is woefully void of understanding the humanities and the idea of sacred spaces. That building is France, friend. She is the wrapping of theology and empire, of literature and beauty, that echoes from our past into today.

She is a building of breathtaking human achievement tied to an era when humans shouldn't have been able to make it. Yet we did, and we dedicated it to God.

It is not replaceable. Please have some empathy.
This is a good post, thank you.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I hope it won't be totally destroyed. Rebuilding it then would be... pointless. Like, sure you can, but it's just no the same thing.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh when I first heard this news I was scared that it became a casualty of the riots that i'm vaguely hearing reported in france over the last while (They do really seem to be repressing it where I like) After all, rioters really like to burn things down / destroy stuff historically. It's somehow a little more comforting that it seems to be a complete accident rather than willful destruction in this case at least.

Oct 27, 2017
"They're just buildings" is so stupid.

I was once moved close to tears when my favourite nightclub burnt down. It's such a frightening, sobering thing to stand and witness.

This is one of the worlds most beautiful and significant cultural landmarks that has stood for over 8 centuries.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Was listening on NPR for some conservator of the building discussing how old the wood was, at this point it was so dry that it sounds like it's basically a tinderbox. I always wondered how they manage to seal wood like that, eventually you have to get into the structure itself to work on it, so I can only imagine how dangerous it is to work in that old roof the fire did start with reconstruction. Also imagine finding out your crew burned down the Notre Dame by accident. Yikes.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Religious feelings aside, is terrible to see such a landmark in humanity architecture going out like that.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I'd consider the Eiffel tower and the Louvre just as cultural and emotional hearts of the city and the country as this. This one building doesn't shine everything about the French.
You've walked into a thread brimming with people who disagree with you and are obviously distraught about this. The polite thing to do is to recognize that and not choose now as the time to try to get people to change their perception of Notre Dame.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Yup. Americans, there exists a world beyond those attacks, and this is not an appropriate or even relevant comparison.

Its offensive to people from france and it should be offensive to other Americans as it is to me. Thousands of lives where lost and the resulting wars cost the lives of hundreds of thousands.

Hyper not relevant and makes no sense.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Professor Tallon's work will be invaluable to reconstruction. Having the 3d model will allow those in charge of the prohject access to all the details of the cathedral, that can be complimented with pictures.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
The Independent said:
The fire chief in Paris says it's unclear if city firefighters will be able to keep a fire at Notre Dame from spreading and causing more destruction.

Fire Chief Jean-Claude Gallet said outside the iconic cathedral as his crews battled the blaze from both the exterior and interior: "We are not sure we are capable of stopping the spreading" to Notre Dame's second tower and belfry.

Egad!

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Those aren't comparable.

Oct 27, 2017
People really need to stop comparing this to 9/11...both are absolute tragedies for entirely different reasons.

This is a massive event for French, Catholic, and human culture. The potential death of one of the world's most historic building. Yes, fundamentally it is a building that can be repaired/rebuilt...but but it is not the same and will take a long time to do so. This is a cultural monument that has been standing for 800+ years. It is more than just "a building"

The world trade centers were not a cultural monument in the same way. 9/11 was a entirely different type of tragedy.

Oct 27, 2017
The Twin Towers were ~30 year old office buildings at the time. Quite a difference from a centuries old cathedral.
I think culturally they were just as relevant. Time isn't the issue. When you think NYC you thought twin towers, empire State building, and statue of liberty. Paris was Notre Dame, Eiffel tower, the Louvre, and arc de triomphe.

But all isn't lost because this building burnt down. What comes next could be even more of a triumph. Sorry it caused such grief but I think most of you read way more into it than I meant.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Man I was in Paris 9 years ago and sat down to eat a baguette near Notre Dame but didnt go inside because my feet hurt too much.

I'm an atheist too but 850 year old buildings are special because of history not necessarily because religion.

"We will rebuild hur hur" like, go fuck yourself.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy to me that the huge scaffolding hasn't collapsed yet under such massive constant heat.

And I can't imagine what it would cause to the building if it does collapse. :/

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't shit on anyone. Sorry if you thought that way. That wasn't my intention.
Literally, the first post you made here was to demean this as "at the end of the day it's just a building", Amidst what is clearly a thread packed with a lot of emotionally hurt people, overlooking horrifying footage of centuries of human craft go up in flames over something tragically accidental, with footage scattered throughout of how much this has devastated the people of Paris, Paris! a city that has been in the spotlight for several years recently through various different forms of strife and unrest, in a country that is Catholic by majority, is overlooking the burning of it's most iconic historical religious landmark, to the point where they are praying and singing in the street to steel themselves.

And you had absolutely no idea that dismissing such an event as this would incur backlash? For all your lofty bullshit, the level of obliviousness on display is frankly pathetic. And if it isn't obliviousness that brought you here, you are a very callous person.