• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I'm legit damn near crying right now. This is not just a building. This is so much more. So much.

Oct 27, 2017
Last post about it. I think it's tragic just not something France can't come back from. I'll leave the thread now. Sorry for upsetting people. I was only trying to say that the future can be much brighter than what we witnessed today. Obviously I did a bad job getting the point across. Goodbye.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
This is a huge tragedy. A lot of historical monuments lost in flames. I hope they will be able to rebuild it to former glory.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
wow...my condolences to all who love that cathedral.

Was this the one that was sorta held up by all kinds of tacked on internal and external buttresses? I was watching a show about it ( I think it was this ) and if so, fears of a total loss must be considered? what's left may be so unstable..shocking to see this

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017

This is the picture that's legit going to make me tear up.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Last post about it. I think it's tragic just not something France can't come back from. I'll leave the thread now. Sorry for upsetting people. I was only trying to say that the future can be much brighter than what we witnessed today. Obviously I did a bad job getting the point across. Goodbye.

"a bad job" is underselling how awful of a job it was, learn some empathy before posting in threads like this

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
I know nothing of engineering or architecture, so sorry if it's a dumb question, but isn't the main structure itself safe? Isn't it all made with stone?

Christor

Oct 25, 2017

No you didn't. Your words were shitting on others who were affected by it. You stated "they're just buildings" and comparing it to 9/11. Come on dude. Whatever "good" intentions you had vanished and turned to shit.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

When your house is burning, and all your possessions are going down in flames, I hope a stranger comes to you, and says "Imagine how cool your new house can be. Think of 9/11 man"

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Why are there members here that act like uncultured shut-ins and seem to have little to no empathy or understanding for the PRICELESS VALUE of Notre Dame.

I think we should not be comparing it, stop minimizing it, stop trivializing it, stop neutralizing it, stop accelerating people's emotions to the rebuilding phase.

Nay

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely awful to see something with so much historical significance in such a state. Hopefully they can salvage what remains of it.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Man... what a loss. Who is to blame here?? Like holy crap, accidents happen but who's going to get pointed at here?

With fire safety regulations the way they are, if this was an accident, it was an accident caused by wilful and historically flagrant negligence that would probably land everyone remotely involved in jail.

The number of legally required safety precautions that would have to be ignored to result in this are so many, there's really not that much distance between this accident and an actual arson.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Goodness, I had friends apparently just visit the bell tower this morning. Must be some of the last pictures of it.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London

Don't quit your day job and become a grief counselor, as you are absolutely terrible at it. You don't try and give people hope while it's still burning, give people some time to grieve.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Obviously this is really tragic and people should be allowed to mourn as much as they want to, but as I understand it most of what has been damaged so far has only existed since the 19th century. It has been rebuilt before and (so far) can be again. It's important to remember that right now; that one day this day will be an important part in the history of an important monument and we were all alive for that.

That's how I'm comforting myself for now, at least.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
I am blessed to have visited Notre Dame twice, first as a boy at 16 and then again, at 46, this past October. I'm not a religious person and I've been to many churches and cathedrals in my life but it is hard to describe just how magical Notre Dame was. The play of light, a purple glow punctuated by a soft yellow from the chandeliers, is absolutely stunning. My picture doesn't catch it fully, but:
181001_37_NotreDameInterior_small.jpg

There are other pictures in my blog entry for the day (past the Louvre pictures) at http://www.bigweathergames.com/?p=5655. No ads, etc. on the site, just my personal travel blog in case someone wanted to see more pictures or read my thoughts.

Agram

Oct 25, 2017
I know nothing of engineering or architecture, so sorry if it's a dumb question, but isn't the main structure itself safe? Isn't it all made with stone?
If you look at the drone photo, you can see roof structure burning on top of the existing vaults. The main issue is the heat - temperatures get so high and even stone construction will eventually collapse, like it happened with the central spire. Furthermore, the bells are carried by wooden construction and firefighters' main focus now is stopping the fire in the northern bell tower because if that bell falls down, it will destroy stone walls and possibly collapse northern belfry.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
This is incredibly sad. I thought when I heard this news initially that the fire would eventually become under control. Seeing that drone shot from above, it looks like the entire building will collapse.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Streams seem to have gone down? Anyone got a new one?

Edit: Those drone shots. Hot damn...

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
With fire safety regulations the way they are, if this was an accident, it was an accident caused by wilful and historically flagrant negligence that would probably land everyone remotely involved in jail.

The number of legally required safety precautions that would have to be ignored to result in this are so many, there's really not that much distance between this accident and an actual arson.
Thing is, old buildings like this often get a pass when it comes to regulations because there's simply not much that can be done to make them safer, because of how they're built.

Oct 27, 2017
An unmitigated act of cultural vandalism if it's anything other than an a tragic accident of circumstance. This is really upsetting.