• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Fire breaks out at Notre Dame cathedral, developing situation [Update: major structural collapse - Art and other Assets Saved] (See Staff Post)

Oct 25, 2017
Billionaire Pinault has pledged €100million to help with the rebuilding
I was going to say that I would think there have to be at least a handful of billionaires out there that would donate to help pay for the reconstruction.

Hell I'm willing to bet if they set up a GoFundMe or something along those lines they'd get at least 10+ million just from regular people all around the world wanting to help. I'd definitely chip in a few paltry dollars.

Oct 25, 2017
Theoretically, once they clean the inside and make sure everything is structurally sound, they could just reopen, and in the meantime start rebuilding the roof, no?
Theoretically, sure, but I don't imagine they'd let anyone near the big hole, as that probably won't ever be deemed sound until there are significant repairs. . Like some of the entrances, maybe, but not for like mass.

There's also a problem of smoke damage and how safe it would be to spend significant time around there.

Oct 25, 2017
Theoretically, once they clean the inside and make sure everything is structurally sound, they could just reopen, and in the meantime start rebuilding the roof, no?
I'm not sure... They'll have to take away first all the pieces of charred wood up there, and make sure that the stone archs didn't sustain major damage.
Plus, when evaluating and rebuilding, the risk of something falling on a tourist is far too high to risk it. From that height, its an assured death.
They'll probably have to repair it in parts, and keep people out from the part they're working on.

Oct 13, 2018
I remember watching a documentary from Nova on the cathedrals, it was awe-inspiring and amazing to see how the medievals built them. Here's a link. Quite sad to know alot of the video and pictures taken are burned into ash, but like the Parthenon, it will be rebuilt into it's full glory.

Oct 27, 2017
the history of great buildings is as much about what they survived as anything really. places like the collessium or the aya sofia or the acropolis have such power and inspire such awe because they’ve existed through lifetimes and lifetimes and are not static objects but ever changing ones, having different meanings at different moments & always bearing the visible scars of our history. notre dame is more powerful than ever at this moment.
I wish I could agree with you, but the chapter in the hunchback of Notre Dame describing how architecture was the means of preserving knowledge before the invention of the printing press makes it clear that so much has been lost in this fire. I am glad that I got to visit while it was still in it's prime.

Jun 24, 2018
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. Struggling to fund maintenance? Remove all valuable treasures and set the roof on fire, once the fire is out, crowdfund the repair and make x1000 times the amount you needed in the first place for Neo Notre Dame, profit! Genius!

massive /s btw

Nov 3, 2017
Just catching up with this news. I couldn't believe it at first because we're talking about one of the most treasured buildings in history, it's like if the Mona Lisa got burnt to ashes! But now I'm truly relieved to see that the interior and main structure of the Notre Dame is fine for the most part. Visiting there is still on my bucket list. Though it'll probably take a while till it gets restored AND opened to public again...

This reminds me of a joke my grandpa used to tell me. He was deployed to the Pacific Theatre, but many of his friends were sent to Europe and were at Normandy. You need to understand that these men were from the backwoods of Pennsylvania; quite a few dropped out of school because of the Great Depression, and the farthest they’d travelled before enlistment was to another county.

Anyway - his friends eventually made it to a small town in Paris, and one soldier friend starts to see a girl there who doesn’t speak English that well. They’re there for a few weeks before she broke it off suddenly. She just leaves one day and doesn’t come back, and the soldiers eventually get their orders to move on.

The soldier was completely clueless as to what happened. All he knew was that she went to see “another dame,” and he didn’t understand why she wanted to see women too when they were dating. No idea how he found out the truth, but my Grandpa said he was angry about it for years.

I swear this is a true story. Grandpa Joe passed away about twelve years ago - he was an alcoholic who lived in a trailer behind a dilapidated house until the day he died. This is maybe the only good story I have about him, and I’ll never forget it.

That place, beyond its historical and cultural significance, is also the punchline for the side of my grandfather that was buried at the bottom of a bottle.

Oct 25, 2017
I am so relieved. Not that the damage isn't terrible but it could have been much worse given the scope of the fire.

All the firefighters are heroes.

Oct 25, 2017
How much would restorations even cost? Would it really be over 100 million?

Also good luck to company in charge of rebuilding. They are going to be under a lot of scrutiny

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
If I was a religious person, I'd say this was a sign of some sort.
This is probably bait, but sure I'll bite.

I am a religious person. If this is a sign of something, then sure. We'll know what it is in time. Could be that we're not taking care of the planet as we should, or it could be that we shouldn't take things for granted. I don't know. But that isn't important right now.

A beautiful piece of history is being destroyed. So right now we mourn with those that mourn and comfort those who need comfort. As tragic as this is, the best thing is that no one was killed and that pieces were saved.

Oct 25, 2017
How much would restorations even cost? Would it really be over 100 million?

Also good luck to company in charge of rebuilding. They are going to be under a lot of scrutiny
Restoration of St. Patricks Cathederal in NYC was over 175 million dollars and that was with no major structural damage etc. Realistically it could be half a billion or more for Notre Dame

Oct 25, 2017
Restoration of St. Patricks Cathederal in NYC was over 175 million dollars and that was with no major structural damage etc. Realistically it could be half a billion or more for Notre Dame
Wow, I guess I typically think it that kind of money building massive sports stadiums. I did not realize how expensive restorations are.