• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
5472.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/world/g...-cathedral-in-pictures?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

this really show the scale and beauty of Notre Dame. Amazing pciture

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Did some digging and that twitter thread is bullshit. There aren't any other source for this except this rando on twitter who had no following before.
I mean... those are not even oaks on the pic... :|
Sorry to disappoint but yeah, what has been lost in the fire cannot be replaced. He says in the twitter thread "The steeple and the beams supporting it are 160 years old, and oaks for new beams awaits at Versailles, the grown replacements for oaks cut to rebuild after the revolution.
Versailles oaks. They're ready."

Yeah cool dramatic effect... the beams that burned were from oaks cut 850 years ago. And there were no replacements oaks grown specifically for this in Versailles. What he's showing looks more like plane trees.

What he's talking about sounds more like this story:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/oak-beams-new-college-oxford

Thank you for this. i'm usually pretty sturdy when it comes to sources but hope and the situation got the better of me here.

Scummy but yeah shouldn't be surprised I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_Karsenty
It is even more beautiful than that.
Apparently:
- The guy has never won in a single election, and
- He was found guilty in a court of justice of libel and conspiracy over five years ago.

So props to Fox News for choosing to interview that guy in particular, and label him an "elected official" even.
That requires a special kind of talent too.
It says in the Wiki page that he was elected deputy mayor of a town in 2008.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I'm taking a jab at Fox this isn't the first time they "interview" a rich French Jew to then abuse him on air at long ends ...
And I maybe an atheist but I'm fed up seeing Fox get away with that shit all the time and I'm done being polite about it .

It says in the Wiki page that he was elected deputy mayor of a town in 2008.
Only deputy Mayor and in 2008 so by now his mandate has been over for quite a while now.
A full on Mayor's mandate is six year long and he swaps deputies three years into his own mandate by law .
So he hasn't been an elected official since 2010 early 2011 ...

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for this. i'm usually pretty sturdy when it comes to sources but hope and the situation got the better of me here.

Scummy but yeah shouldn't be surprised I guess.
Yeah I believed it too at first until I saw one or two people in the comments asking if there were more information on this and since they got no reply I decided to check

If anyone wants some video of a mass, the organ playing, or the bells (from when standing up on the roof near them), let me know, and I can try to put them up tomorrow.

Just want to share my love of this place. <3
Nice pics! Don't hesitate to share more. Being on the roof near the bells must be quite something.
I visited the cathedral once but never went on the roof except in a video game...

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Yeah I believed it too at first until I saw one or two people in the comments asking if there were more information on this and since they got no reply I decided to check
Gotta admit that going from the fact that there are forests of oaks that belong to the government for construction purposes to flat out saying it was specifically for Notre Dame is big leap ...
This guy shouldn't have blown it out of proportions this is farcical levels of clickbait .

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They don't build 'em like they used to.

Gothic structures, despite their light and fragile look are incredibly tough and sturdy. This is Cologne Cathedral, standing as if nothing had happened, after the whole city surrounding it had been bombed to ashes in WW2:

Bombed_Cologne_1945.jpg

It's nothing short of a miracle.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Gothic structures, despite their light and fragile look are incredibly tough and sturdy. This is Cologne Cathedral, standing as if nothing had happened, after the whole city surrounding it had been bombed to ashes in WW2:

Bombed_Cologne_1945.jpg

just thinking out loud, but I wonder if when bombing cities like this, they would avoid hitting churches? Kind of like a "We know war is shitty so we'll at least spare our maker" or something.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
just thinking out loud, but I wonder if when bombing cities like this, they would avoid hitting churches? Kind of like a "We know war is shitty so we'll at least spare our maker" or something.
They probably wouldn't intentionally target them, but bombing technology at the time was too primitive to really discriminate between targets. You bombed areas, lit them on fire, and hoped either the fire or the explosives got what you were aiming for.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

A tour of pretty much any (other) city in Germany will answer your question.

A huge number of the cathedrals and churches there have nice displays at the entrance detailing their rehabilitation or rebuilding after the war. It's a testament to the workmanship that in most cases, you would never know they were even touched.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

No, as others already mentioned, they pretty much indiscriminately bombed everything.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

They probably tried here and there with notable stuff but technology and maybe their target wasn't near churches and what not, you aren't looking for a church in a haystack. Paris was also the jewel in the crown for Hitler, he didn't bomb or really need to so it was safer than usual like other places of note. Also there is usually space between churches and other things so catching fire is less too. I imagine many did get bombed that you never heard of in blanket bombing.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Hitler would specifically send bombers to blow up St Paul's cathedral in London in an effort to damage moral during WWII. People would Sweep flaming debris off the building to keep it safe.

Oct 27, 2017
Not only were cities bombed indiscriminately, partly because precision targeting was fairly rudimentary for much of WWII, but Hitler targeted several cities in the UK that were chosen specifically for their cultural and historic value. This was in response to the RAF bombing of Luebeck, which destroyed much of its historic city centre, including important churches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baedeker_Blitz

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019
Maybe it's time for the Catholic Church to have a serious conversation about whether or not allowing parishioners to light candles for whatever reason is really that great an idea.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States

Bombed_Cologne_1945.jpg

That's because cathedrals were ordered to not be targeted by allied bombers. If you drop a bomb on it you better believe it's gonna be reduced to rubble.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Maybe it's time for the Catholic Church to have a serious conversation about whether or not allowing parishioners to light candles for whatever reason is really that great an idea.

The candles are on metal on stone. they can't light anything on fire.

In my opinion this probably had to with the wiring on the roof that was installed to keep birds off.

IMG_7245-XL.jpg

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
That's because cathedrals were ordered to not be targeted by allied bombers. If you drop a bomb on it you better believe it's gonna be reduced to rubble.

This. But the word miracle will still flood the media. Watch when miracle is used for things that weren't burned (but the actual fire won't be seen as negative anything with regard to miracles)

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Anne Hidalgo wants the thing rebuild for the 2024 Olympic Games.
Eww not sure if it's possible.

Also according to the architect,it's nearly impossible to remake the same wood roof structure.
So it will never be the same.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018

Also according to the architect,it's nearly impossible to remake the same wood roof structure.
It will never be the same indeed and indeed that's an insanely intricate piece of wood carpentry that will have to be rebuilt aiming at 2024 isn't even the least bit realistic .

Oct 27, 2017

I know the Allies had a rule against bombing Venice. They had to do one aerial raid there (because there was a naval base there) and they conducted it with extreme precision and didn't damage anything historical.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

Bombed_Cologne_1945.jpg

If a bomb landed on any of these churches it'd be blown out, evidence? a lot of other gothic buildings that have no roof today. The roof yesterday couldn't survive fire, it definitely can't survive a direct hit from a bomb and that'd affect the stonework too. There's a reason why people used to hide in the historical sites, it's because generally they weren't targeted until the army started hiding in them too. It's not really a miracle just that people tried to avoid bombing near them as much as possible.

Deleted member 51797

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019

While technically this is true, it's not the whole story. You are severely overestimating the accuracy of WOII bombers if you think that they were able to deliberately miss a target the size of a church in a target area. In a time before GPS and with blackouts at night finding the right city was hard enough, let alone finding specific targets not to bomb within that city. The fact that some buildings survive is for a large part down to sheer luck - and many historical significant building weren't lucky.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
For the gargoyles, we can lose them without really any issues. They get replaced on a rather regular basis because they are made in a rather porous stone and rain, pollution and pigeon poop are eroding them very quickly. The bronze statues are much more precious and hard to replace than the gargs.

Ah, that's great to hear either way. I actually was going to walk back hearing whether the gargoyles were okay, I couldn't remember where I had heard it, but knowing they can be replaced is good too. :)

News from France : the fire is extinguish inside the cathedrale

Edit : all the windows of the rosettes & the main organ spared by the flames.

Incredible.

<3
Nice pics! Don't hesitate to share more. Being on the roof near the bells must be quite something.
I visited the cathedral once but never went on the roof except in a video game...

Actually, I checked my videos again and it's Saint Chapelle's bells, not Notre Dame. 😭

I still have lots of pictures though.

Ugh. My heart <3

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Didn't Nagasaki have the old Dutch town that was the only place outsiders were allowed to visit in Japan? That seems pretty historically significant.

Yes, it did, but a Dutch port in a foreign country isn't all that important to Japanese history.

I'm just trying to make the point that some care was taken to avoid destroying important historical landmarks in the war. That was true for every country including France.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Tokyo isn't one of Japan's older, more historically significant cities. The US spared Kyoto for example because it is.
Kyoto was considered as one of the five potential targets. There were three main considerations behind the targets:
  1. They be important targets in a large urban area of at least 3 miles in diameter
  2. They were capable of being damaged effectively by the blast
  3. They were likely to be unattacked by the following August (from the date of the proposals)
Kyoto had the same AA target rating as Hiroshima, though the latter offered an army depot, embarkation point, that due to the nature of the layout a significant portion of it could be extensively damaged and it had surrounding hills that could potentially provide a focusing effect, increasing the blast damage significantly.

Kyoto was considered a strong choice in part because it was seen as the intellectual hub of Japan and thus it was an interesting psychological target as the population would be more apt to appreciate the significance of such a weapon.

In addition it was also a popular choice because it had a population of 1,000,000, was largely unbombed at the time and was where a sizable chunk of the population were relocating to.

You're partly right in that there were attempts to remove Kyoto from the list because of the cultural concerns but the military kept putting it back onto the list because of the reasons above.

When it was finally removed permanently it wasn't so much the concern for the cultural significance directly that kept it off, but the concern that if it was annihilated that it would be impossible to reconcile with Japan in the long post-war time period, with them instead turning to Russia. It was self interest in post-war relations that saved Kyoto over any immediate love or consideration for the cultural artifacts and structures themselves.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
"
Some weaknesses" have been identified in the structure of the fire-ravaged Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris, but overall the monument "is holding up ok," junior interior minister Laurent Nunez said on Tuesday.
"Some weaknesses have been identified particularly in the vault and the gable of the northern transept, which have to be secured," Nunez told reporters at the scene, adding that five neighbouring buildings had been evacuated.
"
https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/not...in-notre-dame-structure-says-minister-2024063

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
The right-wing backlash to this is absolutely disgusting, and the fact that it's being propagated by several high-end talking heads which are known to have the ear of the President is extremely scary.

Would not be surprised if we get a tweet about it today.

This could be the Maine of our generation.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017

we still celebrate ruins that don't have all that much from the original or don't really look the same, I think it's a loss, but a huge portion of the construction is there,
I don't think people should even expect the reconstruction to use exactly the same materials and standards it had, an exact replica, I think they can mostly make it look the same, respect the original design, but also a little safer and more practical, at the end people want the cathedral to be there, and maybe last another 850 years, and some of the materials inevitably will need to be replaced even without a disaster like this

the large sums announced so far in donations + possible funding campaigns for smaller donations and whatever the French government and Catholic church can help with should amount to something very substantial, so I don't know, maybe it's possible to speed up the rebuild process without huge compromises to quality, so maybe it's not 100% absurd to think of 2024, but who am I to say

Jul 18, 2018

Why does it matter about it never being the same. Buildings aren't meant to last forever on its own, every renovation on buildings are incorporating new materials etc. The point is to have them standing as a symbol and reminder of history, etc.

That said, 2024 Olympic Games is a very reasonable timeline. It took 5 years to build the Burj Khalifa ;)

Deleted member 51797

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
The right-wing backlash to this is absolutely disgusting, and the fact that it's being propagated by several high-end talking heads which are known to have the ear of the President is extremely scary

What is this right wing propaganda? I try to keep that as much out of my daily news routine as possible but how could you possibly spin something that is so evidently an accident as this?

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
What is this right wing propaganda? I try to keep that as much out of my daily news routine as possible but how could you possibly spin something that is so evidently an accident as this?

Because:
1. Muslim Immigration
2. This happening on Holy Week
3. A handful of assholes who happen to be Muslim responding to the news on Facebook with laughing reactions

equals Muslims did it! DUH!

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
What the fuck. That makes as much sense as blaming bad weather on immigration. Disgusting.
Be happy you don't know how to read french, accusations are flying out of the mouth of every radicals and everyone that's not catholic is fair game
The Hugenot's
The Anglicans
The Jews
The muslim
The Syrian refugess
The Ivorian / Congolese immigrants (contrsution industry in Paris is plagued by a lot of companies that employ illegal immigrants from those countries to lower their prices)
Etc etc the list goes on and on . French speaking twitter is just downright nasty to read today ...