• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
That landmark has significant historical ramification and has served as inspiration in other mediums. This is an absolutely and unequivocal tragic loss of history. The way the fire was burning it almost looked it was being force fed oxygen... holy shit. I am hoping against hope that there is something left of the historical place after the fire has been put out.

Good luck to the firefighters.

Also hoping that the fire was not arson.

meaulnes

Oct 27, 2017
The opera house in Barcelona burnt to nothing and was fully rebuilt. News are incredibly sad but restoration can and will happen for sure.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Late to the news here. Is there any idea on what caused it? God forbid it was arson..that's some evil shit.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Kinkaku-ji_the_Golden_Temple_in_Kyoto_overlooking_the_lake_-_high_rez.JPG
Burned_Kinkaku.jpg

Absolutely horrible. I was close to tears watching the spire collapse. Notre Dame needs to be rebuild, come what may, just like other cultural landmarks. Reminded me of the arson at Kinkakuji, which has been rebuild as well.

This is a little bit different. Japanese temples and castles are designed to be dismantled (or partially dismantled) and rebuilt with new wood.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
So upsetting

Hate loosing history of any kind, especially stunning architecture and importance to a country.

Hopefully some main parts can be recovered.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Fuck fuck fuck

This is so unreal. You read about big fires destroying stuff in history but you'd never think something like this could happen today. But fuck, so much destuction in less than two hours. Such a tragedy.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Cultural tragedy. Sadly haven't gotten to see it in person yet, hopefully they're able to salvage/save as much as possible...

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Thing is, the more the fire rages on, the more the scaffoldings might melt and crumble inside potentially damaging the vault (if it hasn't fallen yet). And the more the firefighters pour water in the building to try to estinguish the flames, the more weight and damage they'll inflict on the structure.

It will be extremely long to rebuild such damages.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
What i don't understand is that when these historic buildings are renovated/repaired why there isn't round the clock monitoring/guard on site untill it's finished.. sure it might cost but rebuilding from the ashes is quite a bit more expensive not to mention the loss of history which is priceless..

Yeah, there actually usually is in a way. Especially on "hot" jobs, like with iron workers for example, in the construction industry you'll have basically a fire watch team there at all times ready to pounce, and what's more, they stick around for hours after that particular "hot" task is done, to make sure that nothing was kindled. That this was able to happen is absolutely mindblowing.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ugh I wanted to go to Paris for the first time in a year. This is crushing :( Not sure why anyone would be celebrating this, I'm as atheist as they come but cathedrals are beautiful structures
I'm a full on atheist that scoffs at the religious stuff, and Notre Dame still had a major impact on me. Whatever the beliefs or reasons are, incredible art and architecture and history is universal. People made that mind blowing thing and all the stuff in it. Anyone celebrating this has some issues.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Wow, damn...one of the most iconic structures in Europe, survived world wars, massive upheavals to society and culture, and then, after all that, burns down in a renovation.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Assholes using being atheists for their excuse to be assholes, nothing more. Sucks for the majority of us who aren't... but every group has them.
Yeah I don't get it, just respect other people's beliefs. I'm an atheist myself, and hate seeing this. It's an historical landmark, and beautiful piece of architecture.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Notre Dame instills a peace in me that is hard to describe. I've visited it twice and both times were magical, the second time being where I went to the bell tower and the roof and saw the beautiful view of Paris. The first time I saw it, I was backpacking across Europe by myself, and it felt therapeutic to stand alone, entranced in front of its peaceful face on a sunny day and watch all of Paris walk by. I fondly remember the cakes and coffee I enjoyed at the cafe on its northern side across the street. There's something magnificent about enjoying a calm morning with Notre Dame in your peripheral on a blue sky day. It feels like a silent guardian of Paris. You could always count on Notre Dame being in Paris. It didn't matter who was king or prime minister or who was at war or what century it is since the Middle Ages, Notre Dame and its art was always there. Im so grateful I got to see it before all of this. I'm crying now. I'm gonna try to find my pictures.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Awful news.

I'm confident that the cathedral can be rebuilt but it will take decades and the historical contents inside are a tragic loss.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what bother me more: that if the fire was a deliberate act or if it was careless negligence.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
The stained glass were thoroughly mapped for renovation several times so at worst they should be able to repair/redo them.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
The building is of emotional value to people. You lose something close to you and have people go '¯\_(ツ)_/¯ good reminder it happens', see how you would react to that.
It's a public forum, not a funeral. Not everyone will react the same way to loss, especailly something as connected to wealth, power and religion as the ND. Your feelings don't justify abusive behavior.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
User Warned: Drive-by Whataboutism
went on my twitter and just saw this guy post this

Mod Edit: Link Removed

how do you react to this?

Last edited by a moderator:

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
The reports and video clips I've been seeing are awful and incredibly depressing. I hate seeing or hearing of history being lost.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely on a smaller scale, but the feeling I have is somewhat reminiscent of the morning of 9/11 for me. It's this strange mixture of sorrow and awe. You feel you you should be doing something, but you're far removed from the situation, and even if you were there, there's nothing you could realistically do anyway. So you just watch.

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017
Been there a couple times; I have a soft spot in my heart for Paris. This is heartbreaking to see. :(

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a tragic way to go for one of the most beautiful landmarks in Paris. So much history, art and architectural genius behind each brick being burnt down. As horrible that this would happen so close to the Easter Holidays which will no doubt hurt Christians, they can at least take solace that this wasn't a tragedy that - as of yet - claimed any lives, here's hoping the firefighters stay safe.

Oct 27, 2017
I would hope once all is said and done whoever is in charge manages to put the funds together to rebuild the site. I can see the project bringing a lot of different people together in support.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
So devastating. There's a small group of us coworkers who like to travel and the ND cathedral was fondly talked about in our travels. We're now texting and emailing each other over this tragedy.

I hope all is safe now and a rebuilding phase is planned.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
What the fuck? Been asleep with jetlag the past few hours and wake up to this?

This is horrifying, holy shit. Can't believe this is happening. Was only yesterday I was in Paris on the exchange and thinking about visiting Notre Dame again.