• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
God... how much have we lost...

So much of that building is art, so much history and emotion in the walls... you could feel it in the atmosphere in that place.
The cathedral stood through so much of European history.

I know it was nearly 30 years ago, but i would have though that, after Winsor Castle caught fire, the French government would have fire fighting plans in place for it.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I hope the hunchback is alright.

its really sad to see something that old being wiped away into nothing but ash. I know a restoration is most likely out of the picture but I hope they took lotsa pictures over the past 700 years so they can at least build another one.
I think it's possible to restore it by partially using the old brickwork and adding new stones where the old ones are irrecoverable. That's how they rebuilt the exterior of a castle that was completely turned into rubble during WW2 in my city. We also have a bunch of churches with repaired bits where parts burnt down or got destroyed in the war, having these structures turn into a patchwork of original build and later replacements for lost parts (or simply additions by later planners) is also a part of their history.

Oct 27, 2017
Literally, the first post you made here was to demean this as "at the end of the day it's just a building", Amidst what is clearly a thread packed with a lot of emotionally hurt people, overlooking horrifying footage of centuries of human craft go up in flames over something tragically accidental, with footage scattered throughout of how much this has devastated the people of Paris, Paris! a city that has been in the spotlight for several years recently through various different forms of strife and unrest, in a country that is Catholic by majority, is overlooking the burning of it's most iconic historical religious landmark, to the point where they are praying and singing in the street to steel themselves.

And you had absolutely no idea that dismissing such an event as this would incur backlash? For all your lofty bullshit, the level of obliviousness on display is frankly pathetic. And if it isn't obliviousness that brought you here, you are a very callous person.
Stating an opinion is not shitting on people.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
This is so awful :( I was really looking forward to visiting it one day on a future trip to France, hopefully they can save what remains.

Watching the spire fall was heart-wrenching. Such a beautiful building, gone in just a day.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
God... how much have we lost...

So much of that building is art, so much history and emotion in the walls... you could feel it in the atmosphere in that place.
The cathedral stood through so much of European history.

I know it was nearly 30 years ago, but i would have though that, after Winsor Castle caught fire, the French government would have fire fighting plans in place for it.
Honestly, there probably wasn't anything you could do... The building was engulfed in just a few minutes, and even know the blaze is too strong to fight well.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I've never been there, but these are beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing them.

Sure thing. Here are a few more

IMG_7239-L.jpg

IMG_7241-XL.jpg

IMG_7247-L.jpg

IMG_7263-XL.jpg

IMG_7265-XL.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I have no inflated sense of self. Things die and humanity moves on it from it and creates even more. That's how it is. If your self worth is so integrated into a monument from history then I don't know what to say to that. But it would happen sooner or later. In our case it happened today. So now what do we do about it?
Yes, yes, alright, we're all super duper impressed at your esoteric maturity on the matter while the rest of the world is taking a moment to mourn the loss of one of the most important monuments in history.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I think culturally they were just as relevant. Time isn't the issue. When you think NYC you thought twin towers, empire State building, and statue of liberty. Paris was Notre Dame, Eiffel tower, the Louvre, and arc de triomphe.

But all isn't lost because this building burnt down. What comes next could be even more of a triumph. Sorry it caused such grief but I think most of you read way more into it than I meant.
Uh, hundreds of years of history mean a whole lot from my understanding. I'm given to believe that americans' sense of decade old buildings being old is laughable compared to the European perspective where people live among structures that stood since before their grandfather's grandfathers were around. (note I'm American so I cant say personally)

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
yeah that's completely ruined :(

It is not yet, fortunately. It is the roof timbering that has burned down for now, the stone vaults underneath, that keep the main cathedral below safe, seem to be still intact on this image. But the immense heat of over a 1000° C can weaken the stone vaults, even explode them. Hopefully this does not happen and they manage to put out the flames before.

NeoGold123

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think culturally they were just as relevant. Time isn't the issue. When you think NYC you thought twin towers, empire State building, and statue of liberty. Paris was Notre Dame, Eiffel tower, the Louvre, and arc de triomphe.

But all isn't lost because this building burnt down. What comes next could be even more of a triumph. Sorry it caused such grief but I think most of you read way more into it than I meant.

Part of the problem with what you're saying is that you're not giving the event the gravity and respect that it deserves. Like I said, time to stop doubling down on this and just make your way out of the thread. You've made your opinions known.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
When 9/11 happened the buildings were also cultural monuments. But we rebuilt there. All I'm saying is this isn't the end of the French cultural impact because a building burnt down. Time to come together and make something even more monumental.

Of fucking course.
People like you destroyed so much history in the 200 years of your country its sad.
I enjoy architecture and history. When I went to new york i bought a book called Lost New York. That books shows how much disrespect for history america usually has for buildings that "dont make money anymore", no matter how important they were once.
Do everyone a favour and shut up.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

The "event" was relevant as it defined a lot of our current culture, not the building. It's simply not possible for a 30 year old office building to have as much cultural relevance on its own as an 800+ year old religious building.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have no inflated sense of self. Things die and humanity moves on it from it and creates even more. That's how it is. If your self worth is so integrated into a monument from history then I don't know what to say to that. But it would happen sooner or later. In our case it happened today. So now what do we do about it?
We rebuild it. Doesn't make it any less sad when it happens. If your house burns down you are devastated even if you have insurance.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stating an opinion is not shitting on people.

"It's just my opinion, why are you so offended!?!"

This is what you sound like. Learn some empathy, realize that you can hurt people even if that's not your intent and recognize that intent means nothing if you keep picking at the bone and act like not only you are 100% right and everyone else is wrong, but that you're somehow more mature than all those grieving. In short, grow up.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I'm having a legitimately hard time not crying. I was out in Paris this past summer on my honeymoon, and due to the time limit of the excursion i had to pick between Notre Dame and the Eiffel tower, i picked the Eiffel tower because the wife wanted to see that instead. The history degree on my wall is weeping right now. I always planned on going back to see it. I should really head back to Rome, haven't been there in ten years.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Uh, hundreds of years of history mean a whole lot from my understanding. I'm given to believe that americans' sense of decade old buildings being old is laughable compared to the European perspective where people live among structures that stood since before their grandfather's grandfathers were around. (note I'm American so I cant say personally)

The focus on age is only part of the story, I think (and the 'silly Americans with their plastic buildings' is often snobbery, even as, yes, some Americans are ignorant... whoda thought). Buildings and spaces mean things, and when meaningful things get broken, people feel loss and grief, even if they'd only be tangentially related to it, even unconciously. Age is a significant function of this, but not the only one, imo.

This is horrible.

This should be posted any time somebody claims art history/archaeology/investment in human culture isn't worth spending money on. It's not a replacement, but, like the scans of Palmyra, its a hell of a lot better than not having an accurate record.

Anyone who argues that hasn't spent more than a minute looking at themselves, so I tend to just flat out ignore them.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Been trying to follow the news elsewhere but it's impossible with all the conspiracy theory idiots

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
That scaffolding is both in better and worse shape than I imagined it... It's all still holding together but man you can see it bowing pretty hard.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
pic is impressive but also shows that the stone structure under the wooden roof did not break and is still holding up. that is good. hope it remains that way.