• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
In every European town, there is a medieval heart, modern times neighbourhoods and then suburbs.
It is the same in america, minus the heart.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Truly tragic. I'm glad I got to visit it a year and a half ago, truly gorgeous, the stained glass panels were breathtaking. I hope that they can restore it to its former glory. There's a lot of buildings one fire away from being gone, hopefully this will draw awareness to ensure we can properly protect them in the future.

I hope the Great Pyramid is never hurt. One of the big items in by bucket list.

The great pyramids were defiled thousands of years ago. Not much left to take now.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The cultural and religious impact this building has had throughout history is immeasurable, that it can be damaged so severely so quickly is tragic. I'm saddened that I never got to see it in its full glory.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
Yep.

I didn't realise this until it was mentioned to me earlier, but parts of the church in my relatively small town dates back to the 14th century.

Tbh, the events today have inspired me to pay a bit more attention to the history that surrounds us. I work in London, so maybe I should have a bit of a wander after work some days.

A lot of London's history is the city burning and rising anew. You should read about the old London Bridge that stood as the main way into City from Southwark for 600 years. Absolute fire hazard but sounded pretty incredible.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IcgWjaI.jpg

Translation said:
In this immeasurable tragedy, a little miracle: all 16 statues of the apostles and evangelists (in copper) were disassembled last Thursday for renovation, therefore saved... they are safe in Perigueux!

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Extremely relieved that as much is being saved as there is, and the structure itself is going to survive. Fire Fighters are easy to take for granted, but they really pulled some heroics today.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Looks like they just need to do some cleanup, make sure everything is properly reinfornced, throw a new roof on there, and open it back up for business.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Even in the face of disaster, there's encouraging news coming out. The interior looks way better than I thought, apparently nobody died, and a lot of the art seems to have been saved.

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
Now that pictures are coming out, Those firefighters are heroes, not only for saving what appears to be a majority of the main hall, the Stone structure around it and both north bell towers. But getting all of the artifacts out, along with those pieces of art.

The cleanup is going to be massive and take years, but in some divine way the structure still is standing.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
That looks...well.... I didn't expect to be in that shape. According to pictures I saw from before the fire, some of it seems to be preserved. Hell of job and it was probably better not to drop tons of water on roof....

Also, the 'Crown of Thorns' relic has an amazing history and some people believe its the actual thing. It is at least 1000 years old.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
i can't imagine the damage if those statues were actually on the rooftop,around the spire.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"It's not lost"

Okay...well it looks majorly fucked and probably gunna take a few decades to bring it back

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't seem half as bad as it was being made out to be. I expected total destruction.
The Stone Archroof mostly held which spared much more damage of the interior. As well the bells were saved from any sort of collapse which would have done even more damage. The largest Bell is 13 tons by itself. How sturdy that stoneroof is though is hard to say it could give way at anytime

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Uh, hundreds of years of history mean a whole lot from my understanding. I'm given to believe that americans' sense of decade old buildings being old is laughable compared to the European perspective where people live among structures that stood since before their grandfather's grandfathers were around. (note I'm American so I cant say personally)
American as well. My wife and I were lucky to go to Paris two years ago and just walk around admiring the buildings. It's was amazing. So much history and detail. I carried along pictures my grandfather took while he was there during WW2 and matched them with taking my own. Amazing stuff.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had made sure to go inside and all the way up during my first visit to Notre Dame.

I really regret not doing so again the second time last year.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
the history of great buildings is as much about what they survived as anything really. places like the collessium or the aya sofia or the acropolis have such power and inspire such awe because they've existed through lifetimes and lifetimes and are not static objects but ever changing ones, having different meanings at different moments & always bearing the visible scars of our history. notre dame is more powerful than ever at this moment.

aBIGeye

Nov 2, 2017
the history of great buildings is as much about what they survived as anything really. places like the collessium or the aya sofia or the acropolis have such power and inspire such awe because they've existed through lifetimes and lifetimes and are not static objects but ever changing ones, having different meanings at different moments & always bearing the visible scars of our history. notre dame is more powerful than ever at this moment.
Username checks out, very well said.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
This whole affair is making me rediscovering my love for art and history and wish I had gotten into art restoration.