• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I believe the heads were removed during the French revolution because they thought they were supposed to be kings or some bs

They removed the heads of the stone statues on ground level which were indeed statues of kings. I don't know about these copper statues that were high on the spire though.

The spire, including the statues, were added in the middle of the 19th century about 60 years after the French Revolution.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
the history of great buildings is as much about what they survived as anything really. places like the collessium or the aya sofia or the acropolis have such power and inspire such awe because they've existed through lifetimes and lifetimes and are not static objects but ever changing ones, having different meanings at different moments & always bearing the visible scars of our history. notre dame is more powerful than ever at this moment.

Indeed.

I think it's important to remember here that buildings like those don't survive simply because they are well built. All of them have gone through disasters. They survive (at least partially) because people care enough to repair them as well as they can.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

Another shot from inside:

D4OoKCDXsAE0b5b.jpg

I am not a man of faith, but the image of the cross standing next to the still smoking remains sure is a powerful image

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Looked at the wiki

It reminds me of Anor Londo in the souls games.

Coupe.transversale.cathedrale.Paris.png

leenbzoold

Apr 5, 2018
It will never not feel weird to me to see people being impressed by the most simple forms of (probably coincidental) symbolism.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Looked at the wiki

Was talking with an architect friend just an hour ago, this was one of his favourite buildings ever and told me these buttresses are what saved the whole cathedral structure and interior, made the stone roof of the inside withstand the wooden part collapsing because of the fire.
This were made to witchstand the weight of the structure as they had to make the walls have the inmense holes to put he giant stained glass.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Looked at the wiki

Anor Londo seems to be something of a mishmash of several real-life cathedrals and other buildings (the Milan Cathedral in particular serving as a big inspiration if I am not mistaken). The interior (or at least the famous "try jumping off" staircase) looks to be a direct copy of the staircase in Château de Chambord:

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
Indeed.

I think it's important to remember here that buildings like those don't survive simply because they are well built. All of them have gone through disasters. They survive (at least partially) because people care enough to repair them as well as they can.

yes, exactly

this is what the parthenon looked like in the 1830s, long abandoned after a gunpowder cache exploded inside it centuries ago, the frieze looted by lord elgin's agents, the grounds used as a location for a mosque (a very interesting part of its storied history)

this is what you see if you visit athens today, reconstructed from the ruins and fragment dug up on the acropolis

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not ashamed to say I cried. It will be rebuilt though. I know it will.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019

All relics are save. The firefighters saved them by forming a human chain.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I was in Paris in October. One night I was out drinking with some friends, and it was getting late, so I needed to get back to my hotel in Montmartre. Rather than get a taxi, I opted for a Mobike (I already had an active account due to living in Shanghai). As I rode back to the hotel, and I crossed over the Seine, I glanced left and right to cross the road, and to my surprise there was the Notre Dame right beside me, sitting there peacefully as it had for 900 years prior. While crossing the bridge, I just stared at it, and wondered how many others, just like me, looked at this amazing structure creep up on them in the darkness.

I have no idea why I found this simple moment so profound, but I did. It's really sad to see the damage it's suffered.

Last edited:

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
That is a very powerful image for sure. The imagery of the Cross amidst all the rubble and wreckage.

Still, I am amazed at how much is left, I thought it would be nothing but a charred husk. Especially when looking back at the aerial photos that the Drone's took earlier of the top of it all:

In the end most of that powerful fire that looked like lava at some point seems to have being contained on top of the stone arches and that made the main hall only partially destroyed.

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed.

The cathedral in Cologne had direct hits 14 times
That is a very powerful image for sure. The imagery of the Cross amidst all the rubble and wreckage.

Still, I am amazed at how much is left, I thought it would be nothing but a charred husk. Especially when looking back at the aerial photos that the Drone's took earlier of the top of it all:

Yeah, those pictures made it look totally fucked, but it looks like the charred parts are so close to the top because it was the wooden parts of the roof collapsing on to the stone ceiling.

is it true all the artifacts were saved?

Many of the major ones were saved, it sounds like, but at least some of the stuff was water damaged or crushed by the dome collapse. I'd imagine the wooden panel decorations were too big to evacuate and are pretty damaged by the water.

Last edited:

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Billionaire Pinault has pledged €100million to help with the rebuilding

I was going to say that I would think there have to be at least a handful of billionaires out there that would donate to help pay for the reconstruction.

Hell I'm willing to bet if they set up a GoFundMe or something along those lines they'd get at least 10+ million just from regular people all around the world wanting to help. I'd definitely chip in a few paltry dollars.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Theoretically, once they clean the inside and make sure everything is structurally sound, they could just reopen, and in the meantime start rebuilding the roof, no?

Oct 25, 2017
Theoretically, once they clean the inside and make sure everything is structurally sound, they could just reopen, and in the meantime start rebuilding the roof, no?

Theoretically, sure, but I don't imagine they'd let anyone near the big hole, as that probably won't ever be deemed sound until there are significant repairs. . Like some of the entrances, maybe, but not for like mass.

There's also a problem of smoke damage and how safe it would be to spend significant time around there.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure... They'll have to take away first all the pieces of charred wood up there, and make sure that the stone archs didn't sustain major damage.
Plus, when evaluating and rebuilding, the risk of something falling on a tourist is far too high to risk it. From that height, its an assured death.
They'll probably have to repair it in parts, and keep people out from the part they're working on.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I remember watching a documentary from Nova on the cathedrals, it was awe-inspiring and amazing to see how the medievals built them. Here's a link. Quite sad to know alot of the video and pictures taken are burned into ash, but like the Parthenon, it will be rebuilt into it's full glory.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
the history of great buildings is as much about what they survived as anything really. places like the collessium or the aya sofia or the acropolis have such power and inspire such awe because they've existed through lifetimes and lifetimes and are not static objects but ever changing ones, having different meanings at different moments & always bearing the visible scars of our history. notre dame is more powerful than ever at this moment.
I wish I could agree with you, but the chapter in the hunchback of Notre Dame describing how architecture was the means of preserving knowledge before the invention of the printing press makes it clear that so much has been lost in this fire. I am glad that I got to visit while it was still in it's prime.