• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. Struggling to fund maintenance? Remove all valuable treasures and set the roof on fire, once the fire is out, crowdfund the repair and make x1000 times the amount you needed in the first place for Neo Notre Dame, profit! Genius!

massive /s btw

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Just catching up with this news. I couldn't believe it at first because we're talking about one of the most treasured buildings in history, it's like if the Mona Lisa got burnt to ashes! But now I'm truly relieved to see that the interior and main structure of the Notre Dame is fine for the most part. Visiting there is still on my bucket list. Though it'll probably take a while till it gets restored AND opened to public again...

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Fuck, that hurt to watch. Glad stuff was saved from within, but seeing the spire come down over and over again on every feed is really starting to get to me.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand
This reminds me of a joke my grandpa used to tell me. He was deployed to the Pacific Theatre, but many of his friends were sent to Europe and were at Normandy. You need to understand that these men were from the backwoods of Pennsylvania; quite a few dropped out of school because of the Great Depression, and the farthest they'd travelled before enlistment was to another county.

Anyway - his friends eventually made it to a small town in Paris, and one soldier friend starts to see a girl there who doesn't speak English that well. They're there for a few weeks before she broke it off suddenly. She just leaves one day and doesn't come back, and the soldiers eventually get their orders to move on.

The soldier was completely clueless as to what happened. All he knew was that she went to see "another dame," and he didn't understand why she wanted to see women too when they were dating. No idea how he found out the truth, but my Grandpa said he was angry about it for years.

I swear this is a true story. Grandpa Joe passed away about twelve years ago - he was an alcoholic who lived in a trailer behind a dilapidated house until the day he died. This is maybe the only good story I have about him, and I'll never forget it.

That place, beyond its historical and cultural significance, is also the punchline for the side of my grandfather that was buried at the bottom of a bottle.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am so relieved. Not that the damage isn't terrible but it could have been much worse given the scope of the fire.

All the firefighters are heroes.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How much would restorations even cost? Would it really be over 100 million?

Also good luck to company in charge of rebuilding. They are going to be under a lot of scrutiny

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
If I was a religious person, I'd say this was a sign of some sort.
This is probably bait, but sure I'll bite.

I am a religious person. If this is a sign of something, then sure. We'll know what it is in time. Could be that we're not taking care of the planet as we should, or it could be that we shouldn't take things for granted. I don't know. But that isn't important right now.

A beautiful piece of history is being destroyed. So right now we mourn with those that mourn and comfort those who need comfort. As tragic as this is, the best thing is that no one was killed and that pieces were saved.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much would restorations even cost? Would it really be over 100 million?

Also good luck to company in charge of rebuilding. They are going to be under a lot of scrutiny
Restoration of St. Patricks Cathederal in NYC was over 175 million dollars and that was with no major structural damage etc. Realistically it could be half a billion or more for Notre Dame

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Restoration of St. Patricks Cathederal in NYC was over 175 million dollars and that was with no major structural damage etc. Realistically it could be half a billion or more for Notre Dame

Wow, I guess I typically think it that kind of money building massive sports stadiums. I did not realize how expensive restorations are.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
What a terrible tragedy, but thankfully there are a lot of history still saved. Hopefully restoration can begin soon.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
This is probably bait, but sure I'll bite.

I am a religious person. If this is a sign of something, then sure. We'll know what it is in time. Could be that we're not taking care of the planet as we should, or it could be that we shouldn't take things for granted. I don't know. But that isn't important right now.

A beautiful piece of history is being destroyed. So right now we mourn with those that mourn and comfort those who need comfort. As tragic as this is, the best thing is that no one was killed and that pieces were saved.
Wasn't bait. Just that people use religion as a weapon, and it wouldn't surprise me to wield this in some way.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man... How the fuck did an accident cause this much of a fire? I mean I know fires can spread really quickly but still. That's insane.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Wasn't bait. Just that people use religion as a weapon, and it wouldn't surprise me to wield this in some way.
I just can't be too sure anymore so I posted that just to be safe! I'm super sorry Books! I did mean what I said though. I'm crushed that the building is in flames but I'm ecstatic that everyone is okay. At the end that helps the sense of loss that everyone is feeling.

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Just catching up with this news. I couldn't believe it at first because we're talking about one of the most treasured buildings in history, it's like if the Mona Lisa got burnt to ashes! But now I'm truly relieved to see that the interior and main structure of the Notre Dame is fine for the most part. Visiting there is still on my bucket list. Though it'll probably take a while till it gets restored AND opened to public again...

You'll possibly be dead before that happens. A restoration / reconstruction of this level on a cathedral (let alone one this old) will take decades to complete.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a medieval building made of wood and stone... If the fire catches in the wooden roof (like it looks like it happened) it can go quickly.
Centuries old wood that's dry would've caught fire a lot quicker
Oooh that makes much more sense. For some reason I was under the impression that it was pretty much all stonework and that the rooms would be isolated enough to contain the fires/damage. Guess that shows how much I know medieval architecture.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
I just can't be too sure anymore so I posted that just to be safe! I'm super sorry Books! I did mean what I said though. I'm crushed that the building is in flames but I'm ecstatic that everyone is okay. At the end that helps the sense of loss that everyone is feeling.
For sure that's the important part. And ultimately, it can and will be rebuilt eventually. If it can survive the French Revolution, it can survive anythingm

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
man twitter is a mess right now, both the far right and even those on the left are trying to exploit this tragedy for their own self image.

many racists scumbags are going on about "death of western civilization etc" and then those on the left are saying that
"they don't care, its a symbol of colonialism, why should we care if you don't care about indigenous or PoC artifacts being destroyed" like some form of Karma etc.

not linking this to the thread, because I don't want to give them views like last time, but its just shameful that people make this a political act right away