• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably a dumb question, but was there no sprinkler system in there? I understand they wanted to keep it as original as possible, and that the fire likely started where there may not have been one anyways, and that of course there are areas with artwork they wouldn't want to get soaked, but it could have maybe helped a bit?
The building was under renovation, and fire burns up. The portion that burned appears to be flammable structure. A sprinkled system would not be effective in this instance, they are now effective against occupant fire, not structural fire.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
All things considered, the damage is far less than what I feared. Don't get me wrong. The damage is extensive. But the concrete structure still stands. The concrete vault prevented the much of the fire from getting to the lower floors and it withstood the collapse of the wooden roof and spire for the most part. I wouldn't be surprised for the first mass to take place by next Easter. In fact, I expect the French government to make this a national goal. There of course will be limits and restrictions for years and it may take a decade to repair everything. But we could have completely lost a world treasure today but that looks to have been avoided and Notre Dame is still standing.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I'm seriously so happy that it looks like a lot has been saved. I started crying when those drone images showed up.

I love Notre Dame. I had an intense affair with it when I was in Paris in 2014. I went to walk by it every day. Just beautiful and fascinating.
FD4ySQT.jpg

vCbIA5n.jpg

I didn't take the best pictures. But it's beautiful. Thank you to the firefighters who saved what they could.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I'll say what I said to my friend earlier today. I can't believe the burning of a church has me so upset.

On a more serious note, most importantly it looks like no lives were lost. Coming in at a close second I am thrilled (and shocked) to hear they were able to save a lot or most of the artifacts inside. Kinda sad that I am only now learning a lot about this cathedral because of this fire.

TokyoJoe

Oct 28, 2017
This magnificent and incredible building has outlived pretty much everyone and anything and even the nazi's only for modern society to fuck up. Once investigators discover it was pure recklessness that has brought us here, almost robbing generations and countless of generations that come after us. There should be consequences.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry I can't translate it right now because it's 6:30am, I'm too tired and some terms are too technical, but someone on Twitter posted a message they got from their dad who studied the cases of other fires in historic landmarks and his explanation as to what may have happened seems pretty reasonable and in line with fires who started in recent times in other cathedrals, castles and old hotels. Other french speaking people here may find it interesting, until we have more information:

Basically he explains how a fire can take a while to start, way after the workers have left (sometimes hours), and why it is so sudden and fierce when it does.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Those pics of the interior are such an incredible relief. It could have been so much worse...

Seb

Oct 25, 2017
Toulouse
I'm seriously so happy that it looks like a lot has been saved. I started crying when those drone images showed up.

I love Notre Dame. I had an intense affair with it when I was in Paris in 2014. I went to walk by it every day. Just beautiful and fascinating.
FD4ySQT.jpg

vCbIA5n.jpg

I didn't take the best pictures. But it's beautiful. Thank you to the firefighters who saved what they could.
Oh, they said on the news that the bronze statues were removed earlier for the restoration without further explanation. I understand what they meant now, that's a relief. Thanks for the picture.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will be interesting to see if they will enact the rebuilding plan that was put in place almost 200 years ago. The Wood is practically priceless as far as availability. But after the French Revolution and the damage done when they fixed the Cathedral they immediately after planted replacement Oaks in the event they would ever be needed in the future from another disaster at the Cathedral.

Oct 27, 2017
Alt-right bullshit. Don't believe that crap.
I'm sure they are exaggerating the numbers depending upon who is posting that stuff. I'm not sure I'd say it's complete bullshit though. I mean, I don't consider Newsweek to be a source of alt-right propaganda.

https://www.newsweek.com/spate-atta...-sees-altars-desecrated-christ-statue-1370800

I don't believe this has anything to with what happened just now though. I do think it was an accident related to the renovation.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
No seriously HUGE props to the firefighters. They have pulled off something extraordinary limiting the amount of damage done here.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Firefighters did an amazing job getting this fire under control and saving a large part of the building. The damage is not as bad as I feared when I was watching it last night. Hope the firefighter who got badly hurt makes a full recovery.

If they are going to start asking for donations I'll happily pay what I can to help the rebuild efforts.

Oct 26, 2017
Been follow this tragedy all day and it's such a heartbreaking scene to witness.

Thank goodness most of the cathedral is intact. The firefighters acted quickly and diligently to save it.

Stay strong, Parisians.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised that Parisian firefighters are amazing. In a city like that, full of centuries-old buildings, they need to be.

Absolute disgrace. These people are nihilistic vermin.

And nobody inclined to agree with them will ever call them on the fact that they scramble to blame every high-profile tragedy on Muslims. They have nothing to lose by rushing to judgment, because from their perspective, they only need to be right once to justify what they really want: to kill a billion people.