• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, they said on the news that the bronze statues were removed earlier for the restoration without further explanation. I understand what they meant now, that's a relief. Thanks for the picture.

Of course! And I'm so happy those guys, and apparently the gargoyles, were "out of town", as it were.
waqSeSc.jpg

My fave, eating his grapes.

I hope they were able to save this statue, I liked her.
g93pZM6.jpg

Last one from me for tonight.
2SCRv3J.jpg

If anyone wants some video of a mass, the organ playing, or the bells (from when standing up on the roof near them), let me know, and I can try to put them up tomorrow.

Just want to share my love of this place. <3

Edit: that picture above of the damage in the daylight makes me feel so happy. It's burned, but it's held up really really well. <3

Oct 26, 2017
Even though most of the stone structure is still standing, it will cost a LOT to rebuild everything else.
damn money aint worth much now a days... hope a few other billionaires do it also..

Imagine the wealth that built it to begin with.

In any case, money is not a problem. This will be rebuilt. It's what people do.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
Brings a smile to my face that they managed to save the art, I hope for a speedy rebuilding.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad the main structure was saved. In a few hundred years we'll have a cathedral where this was just another chapter in its long history, not a replica or reconstruction of one which was destroyed by fire.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
It really bothered me when in response to the mention of Assassin's Creed Unity concerning Notre Dame, a few people criticized mentioning it as in bad taste or mocked it for inclusion in discussing it's memory. Im not too sure why the video game is supposed to be devalued vs photos, or videos of Notre Dame simply since it's a game, and therefore isn't worthy of conveying a bit of Notre Dame's glory apparently despite Ubisoft's wish to try and emulate the sheer scale of it to a new audience.

Like, are there takes about how only physical visitors to Notre Dame can mourn and appreciate its loss vs those who have only seen and heard of it through photos and stories? No, so why single out video games as unworthy then?

It's particularly annoying as VR expands and lowers it's cost barrier, we will have new ways of transporting people to sights and places they might never see in their lifetime, and Notre Dame would make a amazing VR experience, a way to bring people closer to history, but Unity gets mocked for exposing new audiences to Revolutionary France.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm very happy that the damage was minimized thanks to the effort of France's firefighters. Repairs will be a monumentous effort, but atleast there is still something there to be repaired. Losing the bell towers would have been devastating.

Like, are there takes about how only physical visitors to Notre Dame can mourn and appreciate its loss vs those who have only seen and heard of it through photos and stories? No, so why single out video games as unworthy then?

Don't worry about people who have shitty takes.

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
need to go home and look at my photos i took when i was there 2 years ago... what an incredible building, makes me so sad that it burned

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing that externally, it looks unharmed apart from a bit of smoke damage in the top centre

Idd. Even the big stained glass window survived the heat it seems. It's a comforting picture to wake up to. Even though I know the damage is enormous, it's not a total loss and at least from the outside everything apart from the roof and spire has survived.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Of course! And I'm so happy those guys, and apparently the gargoyles, were "out of town", as it were.

For the gargoyles, we can lose them without really any issues. They get replaced on a rather regular basis because they are made in a rather porous stone and rain, pollution and pigeon poop are eroding them very quickly. The bronze statues are much more precious and hard to replace than the gargs.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Idd. Even the big stained glass window survived the heat it seems. It's a comforting picture to wake up to. Even though I know the damage is enormous, it's not a total loss and at least from the outside everything apart from the roof and spire has survived.

For the big windows, it's hard to tell. They did not shatter yes. But with the soot and everything, we can't really know if the heat did damaged the glass or not.

They can have stayed in place with the interior faces being partially melted for all we know.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
For the big windows, it's hard to tell. They did not shatter yes. But with the soot and everything, we can't really know if the heat did damaged the glass or not.

They can have stayed in place with the interior faces being partially melted for all we know.

You're correct. I hope they are okay. They are quite the sight to behold.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely incredible how intact it still is. All things considered, what a relief.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It really bothered me when in response to the mention of Assassin's Creed Unity concerning Notre Dame, a few people criticized mentioning it as in bad taste or mocked it for inclusion in discussing it's memory. Im not too sure why the video game is supposed to be devalued vs photos, or videos of Notre Dame simply since it's a game, and therefore isn't worthy of conveying a bit of Notre Dame's glory apparently despite Ubisoft's wish to try and emulate the sheer scale of it to a new audience.

It's particularly annoying as VR expands and lowers it's cost barrier, we will have new ways of transporting people to sights and places they might never see in their lifetime, and Notre Dame would make a amazing VR experience, a way to bring people closer to history, but Unity gets mocked for exposing new audiences to Revolutionary France.
I can't speak to your past posts but this one reads like you felt a compulsion to get on your soapbox and talk about how important or valid video games are as a medium.

Perhaps make a new thread if you want to discuss the merits of video games and your annoyance at their dismissal during times of crisis and upset.

I'm not sure this is a particularly appropriate thread for that discussion.

Alderade

Oct 27, 2017
News from France : the fire is extinguish inside the cathedrale

Edit : all the windows of the rosettes & the main organ spared by the flames.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
News from France : the fire is extinguish inside the cathedrale

That's fantastic news.

Said it earlier but I'll say it again, many owe a great debt to the firefighters and I hope that the one that was seriously injured gets all the support needed to get back to good health and be recognised for their valour.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how quick and strong was the fire last night the firefighters really did a great job limiting the damages. Well done!

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Going by the photos, the exterior and most of the interior is undamaged (other than smoke damage). Absolutely incredible work from the fire fighters to save as much as they did, especially the bell tower! Can't wait to see the official pictures of the aftermath, seeing how well it has stood against all odds.

Ensirius

Oct 26, 2017
I'm so very glad this didn't escalate further thanks to the amazing job by the firefighters.
Incredibly impressed.
And now we rebuild.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
Very unfortunate incident. I really hope this was an accident, and not something malicious, or else this is going to become a shitshow to say the least.

I honestly have zero emotional attachment to the building or what it means for people, but I'm hurting to see other people hurting for it. It must feel like a gut punch for so many people. I do, however, feel personally offended by all the people online who are rejoicing over this by saying it is divine punishment against France or Catholicism, or who use this as an occasion to attack Jews/Muslims/atheists by accusing them of cheering on or even committing this fire...

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Very unfortunate incident. I really hope this was an accident, and not something malicious, or else this is going to become a shitshow to say the least.

It's more than likely an incident.

It seem to happen quite often with cathedrals roofs restorations. From what i understood : what usually happens is the soldering of zinc plates might ignite the inside of a wood beam of the structure underneath but because it's "inside" the wood, there's no visible flame or smoke until it manages to reach an open air spot. At wich point it then burst into a big fire and propagate to the rest of the roof. Since it can take several hours between the initial ignition and the moment the fire openly declares, there isn't much to be done to counter that. In this case, it's possible that the fire started in the middle of the afternoon without anyone noticing and then declared itself hours later when the workers had already left.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Amazing job by the firefighters. Organ and stained glass seemed to avoid damage. Looks like the worst was avoided. I hope its rebuilt better than ever.