• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
nvvsojcrhks21.jpg

Holy Mother of God ! Its intact! Did any of the other break?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
So this in interesting:
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1117895531563372544.html

Apparently not only did the PFD have a plan for what to do in case Notre Dame burnt, but they(not PFD) actually planted a bunch of oaks 160 years ago to replace the roof beams, should the need arise.
Brilliant link, thank you for sharing. Amazing planning and good that the Versailles Oaks are ready to fulfill their purpose as replacement for the beams. Incredible.

This makes me wonder what planning there is for other historic structures in the event of fires or disasters.

Last edited:

Deleted member 24280

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just heard about this on the radio and they mentioned Paris. I thought this was about note Dame University. I didn't realize this was about the one in France.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So this in interesting:

Apparently not only did the PFD have a plan for what to do in case Notre Dame burnt, but they(not PFD) actually planted a bunch of oaks 160 years ago to replace the roof beams, should the need arise.

Wow, that's pretty incredible. Though part of me was thinking that they'd rebuild the roof with a material that was a tad less...flammable, in order to prevent the possibility of this ever happening again - or at least on this scale. I suppose they could always rebuild it with those oaks and then just outfit it with a state of the art fire detection/sprinkler system or something. The reconstruction process for this whole thing is going to be very interesting to watch.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Wow, that's pretty incredible. Though part of me was thinking that they'd rebuild the roof with a material that was a tad less...flammable, in order to prevent the possibility of this ever happening again - or at least on this scale. I suppose they could always rebuild it with those oaks and then just outfit it with a state of the art fire detection/sprinkler system or something. The reconstruction process for this whole thing is going to be very interesting to watch.
There are chemical treatments for wood nowadays they could only dream about back when those trees were planted; they could be made much more fire resistant then bare wood.

Oct 26, 2017
Wood is actually pretty good at maintaining structural integrity in case of fire. Better than steel at any rate.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Brilliant link, thank you for sharing. Amazing planning and the Versailles Oaks look stunning in all their glory, ready to fulfill their purpose as replacement for the beams. Incredible.

D4OrAZGW4AACPwj.jpg

Even a priest firefighter to grab the crown of thorns! So thankful that they have such measures in place and enacted them well.

This makes me wonder what planning there is for other historic structures in the event of fires or disasters.
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'd rather they used some other materials than 700+ tonnes of wood, plus it'd be a shame to get rid of those oaks. Even if they were planted for this purpose 160 years ago back then getting rid of trees was not thought of to be as it's thought of today.

Notre Dame would always remain the beautiful structure it is even with modern materials and over time that will become part of history along with the fire incident, but getting rid of these trees means we won't get this beautiful place to look like this again for another 160 years or so provided they do a replantation.

Last edited:

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017

This could be the most striking image not related to war or loss of life I've ever seen.

And no, with this I'm not implying that we should thank God instead of the firemen, or that the cross being safe is some kind of divine omen. But I'd forgive people for thinking or saying that, even if achievements such as Notre-Dame are as much a tribute to the ingenuity of mankind as they are to the God in whose name these monuments were made. I don't really care what you believe in, we should all be happy that such a piece of history hasn't been completely wiped out, and with no casualties (except for that injured firefighter? Are there news about them?).

I don't remember ever being in Notre-Dame. Maybe my parents took me in my only visit to Paris, when I was 3 years old. And now I will never see it as it was until yesterday.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
A shame I never visited in when it was still intact. There are such few news these days that leave you being shocked and in disbelief - you've heard it all. This is something I'll never forget though when I checked my smartphone yesterday. I will definitely donate some money to rebuild this beautiful cathedral.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, they managed to save a lot more than what I anticipated after seeing the importance of the fire.

Plannification was top notch and so were firefighters!

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, woke up to the news about how much was saved and apparently untouched by the fire. So awesome.

Oct 28, 2017
Incredible that almost all of the central structure was saved. These medieval cathedrals are really amazing works of engineering and art

Had to think of this passage from A Clash of Kings (2. GoT book, Spoilers I guess)

Wisps of smoke still rose into the grey sky, but no more than might have risen from Winterfell's chimneys on a cold autumn afternoon. Soot stains marked some of the arrow loops, and here and there a crack or a missing merlon could be seen in the curtain wall, but it seemed little enough from this distance. Beyond, the tops of the keeps and towers still stood as they had for hundreds of years, and it was hard to tell that the castle had been sacked and burned at all. The stone is strong, Bran told himself, the roots of the trees go deep, and under the ground the Kings of Winter sit their thrones. So long as those remained, Winterfell remained. It was not dead, just broken.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Brilliant link, thank you for sharing. Amazing planning and the Versailles Oaks look stunning in all their glory, ready to fulfill their purpose as replacement for the beams. Incredible.

D4OrAZGW4AACPwj.jpg

Even a priest firefighter to grab the crown of thorns! So thankful that they have such measures in place and enacted them well.

nah. Just leave the trees there.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So this in interesting:

D4OrAZGW4AACPwj.jpg

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'd rather they used some other materials than 700+ tonnes of wood, plus it'd be a shame to get rid of those oaks. Even if they were planted for this purpose 160 years ago back then getting rid of trees was not thought of to be as it's thought of today.

Notre Dame would always remain the beautiful structure it is even with modern materials and over time that will become part of history along with the fire incident, but getting rid of these trees means we won't get this beautiful place to look like this again for another 160 years or so provided they do a replantation.
Thank you. I sent that to my mum who's devastated.

E: Oh wow the window survived. Amazing news!
Did some digging and that twitter thread is bullshit. There aren't any other source for this except this rando on twitter who had no following before.
I mean... those are not even oaks on the pic... :|
Sorry to disappoint but yeah, what has been lost in the fire cannot be replaced. He says in the twitter thread "The steeple and the beams supporting it are 160 years old, and oaks for new beams awaits at Versailles, the grown replacements for oaks cut to rebuild after the revolution.
Versailles oaks. They're ready."

Yeah cool dramatic effect... the beams that burned were from oaks cut 850 years ago. And there were no replacements oaks grown specifically for this in Versailles. What he's showing looks more like plane trees.

What he's talking about sounds more like this story:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/oak-beams-new-college-oxford

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Did some digging and that twitter thread is bullshit. There aren't any other source for this except this rando on twitter who had no following before.
Thanks for doing the digging, a shame that someone would just conjure bullshit but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Sooo some few things about this whole thing

First of all to anyone wondering if we could use something else than oak trees to rebuild the roof , sadly no the way Notre Dame was built relied on having a roof carpentry known as a Gothic Calister Roof , and need to be of a certain weight to weigh down on the structure in a certain way , and oak beams is the only sweet spot we can achieve unfortunately . Soo the Versailles trees and other oak trees will have to fuel that renovation . (also Nikus yes the picture is not showing oak because that dufus doesn't even know that it is in Versailles the city that tree were planted not at the palace but there is a reserve indeed that was planted not specifically for Notre Dame mind you but we were in need of wood for renovation at the time of planting and those trees in the outskirts of Versailles does belong to the nation for construction purposes indeed so he has blown it out of proportions but he is technically not completly incorrect)

Secondly and this is the most important please don't ask for the Vatican to foot the bill.

Why ? Simply put in France in virtue of our laws of separation of church and state any place of worship that is older than 50 years are placed under the ownership of the institutions and under the responsibility of the government in return for loss of control over their own temples the nation engages itself to foot the bill to maintain the place clean safe repaired and restored for the generations to come .
Sadly over the recent years both the left and the right have not been honoring that part of the deal with flying colors and only begrudgingly and constant fights between the Vatican and the governement for Catholic landmarks , fights between The Council of French Protestants and the government and their landmarks , the Council of French Muslims and their landmarks have happened and continues to happen .

Of course no one will turn down donations to help foot the bill we're not saying that volunteering supplementary money is a bad move. But please bear in mind that in France who foots the bill for places of worship renovations should by law be the government through taxes in no uncertain terms in the article 13 of the laws of 1905 on separation of Church and State .
This is a tremendous constant hot button issue so as a French man I would appreciate if mods could Redcrayon or any mod really make my post a threadmark to remind people that who should foot the bill is an insanely complicated issue that is cause for controversy in France .
And with Macron lately being all out about lowering our taxes , him reaching out to the "Fondation du Patrimoine" (a foundation for volunteer donations to help renovate our landmarks ) is already making everyone mad enough as it is .

Renovating a Gothic Catherdral like Notre Dame isn't a "sexy selling point" for politicians because you can't take any shortcut it's a really long haul plan you put in motion and you won't see that work being done before re-election time , in fact the work will be finished by the time you can't be elected anymore.
And that's why our politicians have been dragging their feet for so long regardless of party for both the gothic cathedrals , the old Hugenot temples and anglican temples in Northern France (again complicated architecture and you can't take any shortcut to accelerate the renovation you're stuck with the old techniques no matter what ) and even for the five great Mosques that are old enough to be under our collective responsabilty but also have very complex architecture and again no shortcut can be taken.

French speaking twitter this morning is already ablaze (yes pun intended) with both right wingers and left wingers citizen yelling at our politicians to review the budget to account for the renovation and calling for them to finally stop dragging their feet enough as it is so please don't add fuel to that fire pretty please.

Respectfully an atheist french citizens who still values religious architecture and its beauty and wants nothing more than seeing those landmarks appear to the public in their full glory .

Hope you guys at Era all understand and sorry for that long ass post

Last edited:

Deleted member 24097

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When even Fox News tells you to shut the fuck up...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_Karsenty
It is even more beautiful than that.
Apparently:
- The guy has never won in a single election, and
- He was found guilty in a court of justice of libel and conspiracy over five years ago.

So props to Fox News for choosing to interview that guy in particular, and label him an "elected official" even.
That requires a special kind of talent too.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Apparently:
- He was found guilty in a court of justice of libel and conspiracy over five years ago.

So props to Fox News for choosing to interview that guy in particular, and label him an "elected official" even.

Never heard of this guy. So yeah, how did Fox found out this guy is beyond me.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently:

They gave a Mircrophone to Karsenty ? Really ?
Yeah it's kinda hilarious that they act all high and mighty after inviting him

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
How the stain glass window survived I'll never understand.

But again, those firefighters are hero's for saving what they did.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
For the reccord not only is he not an elected official because he lost big time , but on top of that the Constitutional Council of France found out that his campaing money wasn't relying on party members donation but he was back by several corportation money (disguised funds of course ) -in France it's illegal for companies to give money to a politician campaign it HAS to be money of party members through their membership payment - so mofo isn't an elected official and corporate shill ...
Way to go Fox ... but any chance to tell a rich jew to shut the fuck up in front of everyone is good to take I guess ...

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
How the stain glass window survived I'll never understand.

But again, those firefighters are hero's for saving what they did.
For the reccord ironically had the stained glass busted it would have been the least of our concerns the original plans for them are at the BNF in multiple copies so that would have been the "easier" thing to recreate.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
So are the replacement oak trees real or no?
Yes and no

Is there a tiny forest of oak that belongs to the government for construction purposes on the outskirts of Versailles the city not the palace that was planted 160 years ago ? Yes
Were they planted specifically for Notre Dame ? No
Are the trees in the picture the oaks in question ? No they aren't even oaks at that .
Hope this answers the question . I can detail a bit more how forest management work in France but long and short of it , forests that belong to the governments are considered public good , hence why shroom picking is a free for all inside them , on the flipside most of those trees that belong to the government were always planted for a purpose or another.
For example in my neck of the woods the Marchiennes Forest has been planted for paper making purposes for the national paper factory's exclusive use.
You can go trekking horse riding and shroom picking as a citizen , but any wood in that forest is the exclusive property of the government.