• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Oh man that's right in the midst of all this I even forget about the poor little fellas.
Hell them ladies must have been scared shitless ...

Bees of Notre Dame seems to be fine too .

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
"Notre Dame Cathedral fire likely caused by short circuit: Police official"

"The police official would not comment on an unsourced report in Le Parisian newspaper that investigators are looking at whether the fire could have been linked to a computer glitch or the temporary elevators used in the renovation work, among other things. The prosecutor's office said only that "all leads must be explored." "

here

"Notre-Dame's Safety Planners Underestimated the Risk, With Devastating Results"

"The system was based on the assumption that if the cathedral ever caught fire, the ancient oak timbers in the attic would burn slowly, leaving ample time to fight the flames, said Benjamin Mouton, the architect who oversaw the fire protections. "
""I was stunned by the speed with which the oak in Notre-Dame burned," Mr. Mouton said. "Oak that old can't burn like a match. It's absolutely incomprehensible."
But fire safety experts said that Mr. Mouton and his team underestimated the risk — and that the fire response they designed was far too slow to fight a blaze in time.

more info here

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not as much as human lives.

Yes, I addressed that in the second part of my post.

I know that it's a problem for tourism, but am I supposed to feel sentimental about "the most visited monument in all of Europe"?

People aren't feeling sentimental because it's the most visited monument in Europe; it's the most visited monument in Europe because it has tremendous historical and cultural value, and yes, you can feel sentimental about that. Maybe you're not French or European and don't grasp the importance of Notre-Dame, and that's fine, but there are very obvious reasons why people have every right to care that deeply about Notre-Dame.

Besides, Disney does donate to charity anyway.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
Yes, I addressed that in the second part of my post.

People aren't feeling sentimental because it's the most visited monument in Europe; it's the most visited monument in Europe because it has tremendous historical and cultural value, and yes, you can feel sentimental about that. Maybe you're not French or European and don't grasp the importance of Notre-Dame, and that's fine, but there are very obvious reasons why people have every right to care that deeply about Notre-Dame.

Besides, Disney does donate to charity anyway.
I'm French.
Everyone I know, including myself, has been struggling extremely hard to make it to the end of the month, because of Macron's government forcing us into poverty.
I would much rather see the government use money to help us out, than use money to rebuild some dusty old building. And in fact I would rather see all these people donating money to help out suffering communities throughout the world than to help rebuild a dusty old building. I see human lives being destroyed all the time, both from personal experience and in worldwide news, I have no idea how I'm supposed to cry for a cathedral.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm French.
Everyone I know, including myself, has been struggling extremely hard to make it to the end of the month, because of Macron's government forcing us into poverty.
I would much rather see the government use money to help us out, than use money to rebuild some dusty old building. And in fact I would rather see all these people donating money to help out suffering communities throughout the world than to help rebuild a dusty old building. I see human lives being destroyed all the time, both from personal experience and in worldwide news, I have no idea how I'm supposed to cry for a cathedral.

I'm French too. The situation in France is just not easy to solve. Disney can't just throw $5 million at French people knowing that it will solve all of our problems. It's a quagmire that originated long before Macron. Disney can, however, throw money at the Notre-Dame reconstruction effort knowing that it will help reconstructing Notre-Dame. That's why they do it.

But as another poster pointed out, Disney has been helping out with the Restos du Cœur, for example. The Notre-Dame reconstruction effort is one cause amongst many that they're putting their weight behind.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
I'm French too. The situation in France is just not easy to solve. Disney can't just throw $5 million at French people knowing that it will solve all of our problems. It's a quagmire that originated long before Macron. Disney can, however, throw money at the Notre-Dame reconstruction effort knowing that it will help reconstructing Notre-Dame. That's why they do it.

But as another poster pointed out, Disney has been helping out with the Restos du Cœur, for example. The Notre-Dame reconstruction effort is one cause amongst many that they're putting their weight behind.
I'm not bothered by Disney in particular, but by the immense international sadness and worry over the cathedral, when people don't feel half as emotional when what is concerned is not a cultual symbol, but the lives of people. Whether it is the situation in France (I know 2 people who have attempted suicide over this recently), or a more grave issue like the situation of black people in America, or even isolated issues like the Christchurch terrorist attack, not even half of the efforts that are done for Notre Dame are done for these.
Maybe you can call me jealous of Notre Dame...

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Flint still doesn't have clean water. Puerto Rico still doesn't have stable electricity. And yet we see people tripping over themselves to donate money for a building. It's gross.

People have ties to faith and artwork, that's simple enough to figure out.

Comparitively less people know about Flint despite the press it's gotten in the past. I wish more people cared, but I'm not going to be angry about putting more money to a good cause.

Syranth

Oct 28, 2017
While we should always value human lives we need something to look to. And sometimes cultural items like this give us something to look to. Something to look up to. Having the idea that saving every human life but let the world burn is a little too chaotic for my tastes. Sometimes we need something for those artistic folks to look at and say I want to build something like that. I want to paint something like that. Or I just want something like that to inspire me. In this case the specific Monument brings tourism money and national togetherness. I agree we need to save human lives, but we need to take money from a whole lot of other places to do that. Not here.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Same tiring shit we've heard since rich people have been putting money towards its restoration , as if for some reason giving to Notre Dame means you're not giving to other charities as well ...
Also it's them not realizing that whatever other cause they want the rich to give to , is also gonna suffer from all that yelling at the rich for donating to them instead ...
They don't even remotely consider that having some many people yell at them "Hey give to -insert whatever other cause here- instead it will be more useful you dipshit" is really off putting and reflects poorly on the people working for those charities ...

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Just in case some people didn't see it ...

A tweet from the Great Mosque of Paris

In fact on their website here : https://www.mosqueedeparis.net/appe...tionale-pour-la-reconstruction-de-notre-dame/

They even detail Further (in French of course) that Notre Dame should be to all muslims equally as significant to them as it is to christians, reminding that Jesus is mentioned in the Quran as a minor Prophet , and the building is dedicated to his mom Mary known in the Quran as Meriem ...

Oct 27, 2017
final-fantasy-vii-screenshot-vii-cloud-church-flowers-696x557.jpg

Save the Sector 5 Church

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Yeah it will take a while before the roads around it are even opened to the public.

Fire investigations , then agents of "Monuements de France" will have to perform their inspection ... and so on and so on ...

Notre Dame will be enjoyed from afar for the time being sadly.

Alx

Oct 27, 2017
Today was special since it's Saturday and that's "yellow vest" day. The whole area was closed to avoid issues with demonstrations. I suppose the "parvis" in front of the cathedral will soon be open to all again. There is even a project of building a temporary wooden cathedral there, for tourists and people who want to attend mass.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Two things I heard on the news on BFMTV and CNews:
- when the first alarm went off and people evacuated, the inspector on the scene went to check the wrong spot. (if he had checked the right one, firemen could have been warned like 20 minutes earlier -__-)
- workers have admitted that they sometimes smoked on the working site. Seven cigarettes butts have been found.
Now it's important to note that according to the investigation, they're not reponsible for the fire, as the cause is still believed to be an electrical short circuit.
But still, fuck those workers.

Last edited:

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Oh man that's right in the midst of all this I even forget about the poor little fellas.
Hell them ladies must have been scared shitless ...

Bees of Notre Dame seems to be fine too .

Is there some sort of installation to hold them or did hives just grow on the building over time?
Today was special since it's Saturday and that's "yellow vest" day. The whole area was closed to avoid issues with demonstrations. I suppose the "parvis" in front of the cathedral will soon be open to all again. There is even a project of building a temporary wooden cathedral there, for tourists and people who want to attend mass.
There's a substantial number of still active Roman Catholic parishes in Paris, I'm not sure if it would be necessary.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Not as much as human lives.
So since there will always be human suffering and people that could use aid, do you think no money should be given to historical or preservation purposes or something? I don't see the point in this "history isn't worth as much as human lives" statement otherwise.

Trim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So since there will always be human suffering and people that could use aid, do you think no money should be given to historical or preservation purposes or something? I don't see the point in this "history isn't worth as much as human lives" statement otherwise.
The people that could use aid here are the people who refuse to pay tax in France (I'm not talking about foreign companies, but french billionnaires). If they seriously care about France, they would start doing their part.

We are talking about almost hundred of billions euros tax here, so this participation is nothing compared to that. It's like a guy refuse to pay child support for years and somehow we should give him credit because one day he bought cigarettes to his ex wife.

Alx

Oct 27, 2017
There's a substantial number of still active Roman Catholic parishes in Paris, I'm not sure if it would be necessary.

It's not necessary (and as a matter of fact the best masses aren't at Notre Dame, from what I heard), but it's still something people would want. Notre Dame is at the center of the city and everybody is constantly walking by it. It would be a shame not being able to interact with it one way or another for the next 5-10 years.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IUoe6yt.jpg

The Archbishop of Paris, Michel Aupetit, held the first mass at Notre Dame on Saturday since a devastating fire destroyed the roof, spire and part of the cathedral's vault.

Only about thirty people were allowed to attend the mass, the Catholic Diocese of Paris said, citing "security reasons". Roughly fifteen were priests including the Archbishop of Paris and auxiliary bishop Philippe Marsset.

The Archdiocese of Paris confirmed to Euronews on Saturday that attendees would have to enter the cathedral wearing a helmet. Indeed, attendees wore hard helmets during the mass.

Aupetit said leading mass with a helmet was very bizarre but he did take it off for a moment during the consecration.

The mass took place in one of Notre Dame's small chapels that was not damaged by the fire — the Chapel of the Virgin — where the relic of the "crown of thorns" believed to be worn by Jesus during his crucifixion is kept.

This is not a return to normal for the cathedral. There is no other mass planned in the cathedral.