• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
This is heartbreaking. I'm literally crying. Notre Dame is one of the most beautiful and awe inspiring creations I've seen in my life. The first time I saw the rose window from the inside, it took my breath away. So incrediably sad.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way to fight a fire that is that intense, especially in an older building. You have to let it burn out and just try to keep it from spreading to adjacent buildings.

There will be time later to discuss what sort of profound negligence occurred that allowed the fire to start and then get to this point, but for now, we can only watch helplessly.

That seems to be the strategy that the fire teams are taking - looks like a lot of a dampening effort around the perimeter to stop it spreading.

Literally nothing else they can do right now - there are flames dozens of feet high, and the temperature must be extremely high.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
hopefully no one gets hurt and damage doesn't extend to nearby buildings, etc...

if priceless artifacts are destroyed/damaged within the building then indeed that is unfortunate and a sad loss but the building itself beyond extra added cost can always be restored

most buildings that age don't even have most of their building material intact from the time it was constructed due to constant restoration/replacement and renovation to keep the building maintained

also post event if it turns out to be a work related accident can be reviewed to try and prevent future mistakes in the future

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I visited when I was younger but I always wanted to go back to it as a landmark in Paris when I had a better appreciation for the history and architecture it represented.

This is sad and I hope they can salvage as much of the building as possible and that everyone stays safe in the mean time.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty upset I never got to see it (was in a bucket list along with France in general), but in a weird melancholic way I'm starting to appreciate all the other landmarks I've had the privilege of seeing.

It's gonna be really hard to watch footage and pictures of this that will be inevitably plastered everywhere in the media in the coming days. Just seeing these tweets are making my stomach turn :(

Oct 30, 2017
No one should go in to get those paintings. Lives matter so much more. It isn't worth the risk.
You were right when you said you shouldn't have posted. Did Notre Dame steal your lunch money or something? History is literally burning to the ground and you're handwringing about the well-trained firefighters going in to try to salvage what they can of a near 900 year old piece of art?

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
People are going to have more complex opinions about this than "Sad." Nothing they said was shitty.

We all have you own limits, telling epople to « cheer up » or « everything burns » while we are watching this happen live is utterly disgusting.

Learn to read the room, so for a walk, tell you cat how smart you are, and hpw these emotinal people are lacking perspective.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely awful :( Seeing stuff burning down always puts into perspective how temporary and fragile humanity and its creations are -- even more so in this case.
Hope at least no people were hurt.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The images are breaking my heart. Such an amazing piece of history... I hope most of the structure can be saved.

The restauration will take years, if not decades (depending on the money alloted for it).

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
CNN giving plebs a ten minute livestream before hassling you to subscribe.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely awful news - for it to have been standing there watching over Paris for so long - through so many pivotal moments in human history. Not to mention the marvel that it is and what that represents.

I hope that there's some glimmer of hope emerging once the situation is under more control.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
The silver lining is that it appears there are no casualties. Still a crushing loss. Just so bummed out about it.

Priapus

Oct 27, 2017
Remember visiting it in 96 when it was in scaffolding. Shame I never got to see it in full glory from the outside but the inside left quite the impression on me. A great loss.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Watching history burn right in front of our eyes. Hope they can get it reconstructed in time, but some of those artifacts and books are gone forever now.

Oct 25, 2017
I got to go there for the first time about a year and a half ago. I loved being able to just sit and observe quietly for a while. Very striking environment. Lucky to have seen it as it was! This is horrible news but I'm sure it will be rebuilt beautiful and fresh in a few years and then I'll be excited to see it again in its next iteration.
PsykCyh.png

This was my favorite photo I got from the inside.

Last edited:

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
16 copper statues (weighing 250kg each) were taken of the tower to be renovated. So they have been saved. They would be put up again in 2022.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Destructions-Reims-cathedrale-1914.jpg

Reims was rebuilt after being destroyed in WW1

Reims-Cathedral-interior.jpg

Its the loss of priceless artifacts that's the saddest thing