• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I have only played Path of Radiance, Awakening and Conquest, but I really enjoyed them all. Can't wait for the mainline Switch game.
Please check out Radiant Dawn if you've played PoR. It's such a great FE title. One of my favorite games in fact.

I'm also excited to learn more about FE Switch. Hopes that it being another console Fire Emblem means that it's closer to PoR and RD.

nomemorial

Oct 27, 2017
Here for this. Awakening was all I played on my 3DS when I first got it, sucked my life away pretty hard and I would say I "beat the hell out of it."

I was psyched for Fates, but have decided to take Conquest off the back burner for now as I'm stuck at that part
where you have to escape the cave
and I also managed to neglect marrying my people off soon enough because I didn't realize how close I was to the end of the game, so I'm taking an extended break to see if I can sort my way through the frustration.

Outside of that, my FE experience is minimal - some of the GBA games and Radiant Dawn, none of which I finished, though I'd love to go back and try my hand at them now.

What's everyone's absolute favorite in the series? Be it for story or gameplay or both?

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Here for this. Awakening was all I played on my 3DS when I first got it, sucked my life away pretty hard and I would say I "beat the hell out of it."

I was psyched for Fates, but have decided to take Conquest off the back burner for now as I'm stuck at that part
where you have to escape the cave
and I also managed to neglect marrying my people off soon enough because I didn't realize how close I was to the end of the game, so I'm taking an extended break to see if I can sort my way through the frustration.

Outside of that, my FE experience is minimal - some of the GBA games and Radiant Dawn, none of which I finished, though I'd love to go back and try my hand at them now.

What's everyone's absolute favorite in the series? Be it for story or gameplay or both?
Mine's Radiant Dawn. I loved how the story is told from the perspective of multiple lords who had interesting, dynamic relationship and conflicts with one another. I also think it has great objective variety like survive/defend maps (Elincia's Gambit is some of FE's finest chapter), huge cast of characters, granted not all are well developed but I'm a huge fan of many of them, great OST and the visual/animation is great. The latter FE goes all chibi and pixelated as they went to handheld was disappointing to me.

Other aspects I really dig about Tellius FE. World building. Challenging gameplay with limited EXP with no grinding, with bonus exp that you can get from completing optional objectives, minimal fanservice crap that you'd see from Awakening and Fates, great art style/character design.

Last edited:

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
Weren't there some rumors that the Switch's first Fire Emblem will be a remake of Path of Radiance? Due to some leak in the mobile game right?

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Nope not all. the only remake comment made recently was that the Nintendo director (not IS director) wanted to remake six.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
I seem to remember Nintendo releasing Ike or someone and listing them as being from "Fire Emblem Echoes: Path of Radiance" and Echoes would be a pretty great way to classify remakes since the series sees so many of them. Either way, I'm so excited for a Fire Emblem on the Switch. It's been so long since a console iteration.

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems pretty likely that the "Echoes" name is something they want to use for further remakes. That listing, though, was probably just an honest mistake.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I seem to remember Nintendo releasing Ike or someone and listing them as being from "Fire Emblem Echoes: Path of Radiance" and Echoes would be a pretty great way to classify remakes since the series sees so many of them. Either way, I'm so excited for a Fire Emblem on the Switch. It's been so long since a console iteration.

That was the Twitter account being stupid as it used the template from Alm.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Was the elevation mechanic in Radiant Dawn well received? I'm guessing not since we never saw it again. :(

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see the FE community here especially since I've just recently finished Blazing Blade and now I'm playing Binding Blade. After I finish BB I'll be playing Sacred Stones.

One of these days I'll play Radiant Dawn. I loved Path Of Radiance but completely forgot about it's sequel since it was on Wii.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Was the elevation mechanic in Radiant Dawn well received? I'm guessing not since we never saw it again. :(

I loved the elevation in RD and it's a shame it hasn't been seen since. Fates could have used it since there are some maps with elevated terrain but as far as I know, it was purely visual and granted no bonuses.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Any of you playing FE: Heroes?
It's my most played mobile game this year...
Possibly most played game this year... :|

Haven't put a dime into it either.
Setup quite well for F2P if you're patient. IMO.

Last edited:

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
everybody here that is playing heroes is in the heroes thread.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hehe, being a FE fan makes me like heroes...
What's every ones fave FE?

Mine has got to be Blazing Blade.
Just love that game.

Can't wait to see what the Switch game looks like.
Hopefully the art style is closer to the GC ones than the newer titles.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Just love that game.

FE7, if it wasn't obvious enough!
PoR is great too, and I also love Awakening in spite of its flaws. Echoes is similarly great.
Sacred Stones gave us the Rogue, can't ever forget that.

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of the ones I've finished (Path of Radiance, Shadow Dragon DS, Awakening, the three Fates and Shadows of Valentia), PoR and Valentia are probably my favorites. Liked Shadow Dragon, too.
Still have so many other Fire Emblem games left to play.
Oh, and Fire Emblem Warriors was nice, too. ;)

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

Just love that game.

Fire Emblem Path of Radiance is Mine. Still think Ike is the best written Fire Emblem Lord, plus his design is pretty cool. Second would be Radiant Dawn, as it's the Fire Emblem game I've had most "fun" with. There are so many silly self impose challenges you can do in that game.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Still haven't played FE4.
That's my bro's favourite.

Hope to see it on the Switch VC in the future.
Think it's the only FE with huge maps.
Don't think it's ever been officially translated.

Chumes

Oct 27, 2017
The main story of FE Echoes takes roughly 30 hours to complete I'd say. I'm not a big fan of the original FE Gaiden but I'd still highly recommend FE Echoes anyway because it's that much of an improvement.

FE Echoes is mechanically estranged from other titles in the series (no weapon triangle), but I liked the story much better than recent entries (Awakening/Fates). Controlling two entirely different armies is also pretty neat.

Chumes

Oct 27, 2017

Just love that game.

My favorite FE for story is Radiant Dawn/Path of Radiance (I really got attached to the characters), although I feel Fates made the best mechanical changes in the series to date (no weapon durability or unit stacking is a big plus for me).

Definitely hoping a return to the Radiant series with the Switch version, but we will see. Wouldn't mind a more extensive camp/castle editing system (like Fates, but more/better).

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
Favorite is definitely 6. I know it's super flawed, but I wound up getting a lot of enjoyment out of it. Plus, having Deke, Rutger, and Clarine become a triangle of destruction was pretty fun. With supports they could have probably beat the whole game by themselves.

Echoes remake fucking when

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
tPvbV4OfLbgcERXPv722tqo9FVQYUwAewJeWW2EoGDMpvg-8TcnGvvHJGWLrrByAa0jxB6753tZHwBDVTpFo7oTyM_6Zcbf9Lnf3RTQeDmdWcltNlf3s1DvGSg6kPSUD3kQFdA89

;P

AweOfShe

Oct 28, 2017
Saga, Japan

While I did say Echoes may have knocked Path of Radiance off my number one spot, I'm not so sure anymore, haha. Dark_Castle may have been talking about Radiant Dawn, but most of what he said could also apply to Path of Radiance, and it totally refreshed my memory on why it was my favorite for so long.

All I can really say with absolute certainty is that there's no Fire Emblem than I don't like. :P

Mine's Radiant Dawn. I loved how the story is told from the perspective of multiple lords who had interesting, dynamic relationship and conflicts with one another. I also think it has great objective variety like survive/defend maps (Elincia's Gambit is some of FE's finest chapter), huge cast of characters, granted not all are well developed but I'm a huge fan of many of them, great OST and the visual/animation is great. The latter FE goes all chibi and pixelated as they went to handheld was disappointing to me.

Other aspects I really dig about Tellius FE. World building. Challenging gameplay with limited EXP with no grinding, with bonus exp that you can get from completing optional objectives, minimal fanservice crap that you'd see from Awakening and Fates, great art style/character design.

I think on top of some of this, what made Path of Radiance my favorite (and by extension, also Radiant Dawn) for so long were all the different races. It definitely made the world much more interesting to me than a lot of the other FEs.

And with that said, Tibarn is such a badass. <3

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I think Awakening's story is better then Echoes, Echoes is just presented better because of its Voice acting and it's Prisms(?, I forget what they are called).

Path of Radiance and Fire Emblem 7 are the best stories in the series in my opinion. 4 really could used a remake, the story isn't really well told. Sounds much better reading about it.

Last edited:

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Ike is kind of a dumbass in PoR, but it's endearing. He shows a lot of growth, though. I like him because he's not super plucky.

4 is absolutely the game that needs to get remade. I demand it.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Genealogy is definitely the most in need of a remake. Idc what anyone says, the balance is off in that game, to the point that no mount=useless. Definitely has an interesting story, but I do wonder if it would be changed slightly in a re-release given some of the events that occur

Beze One

Oct 28, 2017
My favorite Fire Emblem is a tie between 4 and 6. To me, the first half of the game simply has the most intriguing Fire Emblem has ever been, and is a decent challenge. (' Til the holy weapons come in anyway.)

Although 6 is a bit rough, it can have some pretty tough chapters, and compared to the rest of the GBA series,I think has the best music.

That being said, I really can't wait to see what they have for the Switch!

Deleted member 2585

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, Genealogy/FE4 is the game that needs a remake the most.

Fix unit balance (make footlocked units better), revise the maps (make them smaller, mostly), add in supports, and you have a great game.

nomemorial

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone commenting Radiant Dawn is making me realize I need to bust out my copy and ACTUALLY play it. Really want to finish Conquest, even if only to go through Birthright/Revelations and to feel justified in finally playing Echoes. Warriors looks fun, even if solely from a fan-service perspective.

Deleted member 2585

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be hard-pressed to say that Radiant Dawn is the best Fire Emblem game, but it's certainly my favorite. It's an incredibly ambitious game that achieves only some of what it sets out to do, and as a result, it's incredibly uneven. But the highs of that game aren't matched in any other game in the series. I'm going to steal what I wrote in another post a few months ago.
RD takes the fantastic cast from Path of Radiance and throws them all into a war. It's a setup that's vastly different from most other FE games - there's no clear villain*, you control three or so parties, and units will drop in, drop out, and change which party they belong to. It's a game that tries to tell a story where there isn't one true "good" side**.

*until the relatively weaker Act 4, anyways
** and then it kinda goes back on that, using the blood pact and a convenient god to resolve the conflict and moral ambiguity

But where I think the game's narrative succeeds the most is in its characters, or more specifically, the characters who are conflicted about their role in the war. The game does a great job of expanding those characters through narrative and gameplay mechanics. Throughout Radiant Dawn, there are characters who have friends fighting on the other side of the war, or find themselves fighting for a cause they don't believe in. You can talk to them with certain characters. Sometimes, they'll join (Haar and Jill). Sometimes, they'll be more stubborn (Ilyana and Jill). If you attack certain characters with others, you get different dialogue. And sometimes you're not even given the option to attack (Meg and Brom). All of these flesh out the cast and make them feel more human - they're uncertain, they don't want to fight, and you get to see how they react when they're forced to fight someone they know. This is a typical conversation:

Ilyana vs Jill

Jill: Ilyana? You're with the Laguz Alliance? No, I mean the Greil Mercenaries?
Ilyana: Yes. Muston and the others are with me, too.
Jill: I see… We fought together in Ashnard's War, and in the war to liberate Daein. We didn't spend much time together, but you were a trustworthy comrade.
Ilyana: Thank you… I wonder why we're here. Why is Daein attacking us?
Jill: I don't know. The occupation soldiers left Daein. But Daein still cannot refuse a request from Begnion. Liberation was only a dream.
Ilyana: Yet you continue to stay with the Daein army? Why do you do that to yourself?
Jill: Because I can't abandon my comrades.

(Ilyana attacks, but Jill doesn't)

There's a ridiculous amount of optional dialogue in Radiant Dawn, so much that you're likely to never see them all in a single playthrough (there are some conversations that are pretty much impossible to see, due to the map layouts, but the developers put them in anyways). It sucks that RD lost support conversations, but the base and battle definitely partly make up for it.

Also, there are some pretty cold one-liners:
Levail: He is the last true knight. I will die for him.
Haar: Yes, Levail. You will.

AweOfShe

Oct 28, 2017
Saga, Japan
Ike is kind of a dumbass in PoR, but it's endearing. He shows a lot of growth, though. I like him because he's not super plucky.

4 is absolutely the game that needs to get remade. I demand it.

I love how ignorant he was when it came to dealing to Sanaki. In fact, that may have been the point where I started liking him (or liked him even more). I think I just really enjoyed how blunt he was compared to most of the other Lords. Probably helped that he wasn't royalty, haha.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone commenting Radiant Dawn is making me realize I need to bust out my copy and ACTUALLY play it. Really want to finish Conquest, even if only to go through Birthright/Revelations and to feel justified in finally playing Echoes. Warriors looks fun, even if solely from a fan-service perspective.
Radiant Dawn is an interesting game, but I think people vary wildly in their opinions of it because its one of the most experimental FE titles, right up there with Gaiden/Echoes. That's what I like about it, but that is also why it isn't even close to one of my favorite games in the series, because the structure gets in the way of my favorite aspect of FE, building an army of chosen powerful units and seeing them through the entire game. RD simply jumps around too much, and doesn't give you that same sense of progression that other FE games do. The general unit balance is upset by the structure as well, as most of the Dawn Brigade units are useless by the time they resurface in the game. People are also split on some of the narrative choices in that game, and Micaiah is generally considered a rather disappointing character.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
The split armies in Radiant Dawn is actually why I loved that game. I loved playing Ike's part, then jumping to micaiah, then a side story of Geoffrey.

Kinda wish the concept was expanded upon in future installments. Could be used in intresting narratives situations.

It could also be balanced better. Maybe do what Fates children DLC did and have a set Level and equipment,

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
I'm an outlier clearly, but Fates is my current favourite with Conquest obviously being the standout. I just loved all of the mechanical updates to the core gameplay from the removal of weapon durability to the revamped dual strike/pair up (even if Pair up is still OP.) Also controversially, the Fates cast is probably my favourite even if the story is trash. Aside from Fates, the Tellius games are my jam, even if the super slow gameplay gets really tiring after a while (Radiant Dawn enemy phases is the worst offender.)

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The split armies in Radiant Dawn is actually why I loved that game. I loved playing Ike's part, then jumping to micaiah, then a side story of Geoffrey.

Kinda wish the concept was expanded upon in future installments. Could be used in intresting narratives situations.

It could also be balanced better. Maybe do what Fates children DLC did and have a set Level and equipment,
It would be better if they had multiple armies on the map simultaneously that are all under the player's control, like Echoes. Basically splitting the game into multiple routes with multiple armies, and you can have them converge at specific points if you want to. Then you avoid the downsides to the way RD does it, mainly its awful unit availability.

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn are my favorites as well. But I'm sure part of that is that they were the first ones I played. I really want to cosplay as Elincia and Nephenee. Love the character designs overall.

I loved the elevation in RD and it's a shame it hasn't been seen since. Fates could have used it since there are some maps with elevated terrain but as far as I know, it was purely visual and granted no bonuses.
Yeah, I remember seeing it in trailers and thinking elevation was back. :(

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn are my favorites as well. But I'm sure part of that is that they were the first ones I played. I really want to cosplay as Elincia and Nephenee. Love the character designs overall.

Yeah, I remember seeing it in trailers and thinking elevation was back. :(
I totally forgot elevation was even a thing in RD. Would be cool to see it back, though it's not like there is a shortage of SRPGs with elevation (basically every game that borrows from FFT/TO, which is most of them).

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
I totally forgot elevation was even a thing in RD. Would be cool to see it back, though it's not like there is a shortage of SRPGs with elevation (basically every game that borrows from FFT/TO, which is most of them).
That's true. But I do think the map design in Fire Emblem is different enough from games borrowing more from FTT that elevation doesn't feel quite the same in the latter types.

Deleted member 2585

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Radiant Dawn's elevation was pretty significantly different in practice, though. In the context of Fire Emblem, it made two types of units much more viable: archers and untrained units (like Fiona, or those green allies that you get). Attacking up gives an accuracy malus of 50%, and attacking down gives an accuracy bonus of 50%, meaning that even underlevelled archers can hold a chokepoint. Or if you're on a map where you're fighting Laguz (like 3-13), you can stick any old unit up there to hold the chokepoint because Laguz don't have 2 range.

Well, maybe the word viable is wrong, but it gives those unit a niche that they can fill.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's true. But I do think the map design in Fire Emblem is different enough from games borrowing more from FTT that elevation doesn't feel quite the same in the latter types.
Agreed, FE definitely feels different from that style of SRPG. I don't really think FE needs elevation, but it does add an interesting wrinkle, especially in terms of impeding movement.
I think it has a high likelihood of returning in FE Switch though. I'm really interested to see how that game turns out, I think it may have a similar structure to Echoes, with expanded interaction with towns and other playable units.

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
Radiant Dawn's elevation was pretty significantly different in practice, though. In the context of Fire Emblem, it made two types of units much more viable: archers and untrained units (like Fiona, or those green allies that you get). Attacking up gives an accuracy malus of 50%, and attacking down gives an accuracy bonus of 50%, meaning that even underlevelled archers can hold a chokepoint. Or if you're on a map where you're fighting Laguz (like 3-13), you can stick any old unit up there to hold the chokepoint because Laguz don't have 2 range.

Well, maybe the word viable is wrong, but it gives those unit a niche that they can fill.
That's probably why I liked it so much. I love my archers. <3

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I certainly had to be more conservative with my positioning 'cause of that. But it felt so good in player phase!