• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Man, even going back with the DLC, this fire emblem warriors is just kinda mediocre and I really can't pinpoint exactly why compared to other musou, I mean the movesets and roster are lacking sure but maybe it's more that the game tries to make it more strategic but still takes an eternity to deliver information in vintage musou fashion. that and the special moves feel waaaay too long.
Maybe one day I'll get Lyn and Celica, and then be underwhelmed with their copy/paste powers.

Never would've thought Heroes would be the better outing last year but here we are.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Please do. If you need specific help, feel free to take screenshots (even off-screen) and post them. It's sometimes hard to give advice if we don't know exactly what your field looks like

Ah I'm so annoyed man, I managed to get though all the rooms on my first go. I lost some units but thought, fuck it, it's the last level

The final room opens, I make a move. More enemies spawn in, I race to the boss. I'm down to the 3 main characters and Pent, that's it. I move Hector in for the kill... The boss falls

I beat the game, I somehow managed to do it with my unbalanced team with no real healer

The cut scene plays, oh Dragons. Now we have to kill the last one. This is surely a scripted fight where we one hit kill the boss

I move Eliwood to strike, he hits the boss who hilariously has ?? hitpoints. The hit connects, nothing happens, boss attacks, Eliwood is dead

Game over

Fuck

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah I'm so annoyed man, I managed to get though all the rooms on my first go. I lost some units but thought, fuck it, it's the last level

The final room opens, I make a move. More enemies spawn in, I race to the boss. I'm down to the 3 main characters and Pent, that's it. I move Hector in for the kill... The boss falls

I beat the game, I somehow managed to do it with my unbalanced team with no real healer

The cut scene plays, oh Dragons. Now we have to kill the last one. This is surely a scripted fight where we one hit kill the boss

I move Eliwood to strike, he hits the boss who hilariously has ?? hitpoints. The hit connects, nothing happens, boss attacks, Eliwood is dead

Game over

Fuck
He doesn't have infinite health, don't worry. He has 120 HP, but iirc your Eliwood is pretty under-leveled so I wouldn't use him against the dragon. Athos can kill the dragon solo so long as you can heal him, I think Aureola is generally the best magic to use against the dragon but someone feel free to correct me on that. If Hector is strong enough you can have him wail on the dragon a bit too. You definitely need a healer though.

Oct 25, 2017

Game over

Fuck
Sorry but you made the same mistake my brother did when he first played through it and it's making me laugh.

The ?? just means the dragon's HP is >80 so until you knock it down into the normal max visible HP you won't be able to see how much is left. Just use Athos or other units that can take the damage and do enough to be worthwhile. Feel free to take your time, it shouldn't be that big an issue to just have Athos whittle it down with Forblaze while you keep healing him.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
He doesn't have infinite health, don't worry. He has 120 HP, but iirc your Eliwood is pretty under-leveled so I wouldn't use him against the dragon. Athos can kill the dragon solo so long as you can heal him, I think Aureola is generally the best magic to use against the dragon but someone feel free to correct me on that. If Hector is strong enough you can have him wail on the dragon a bit too. You definitely need a healer though.

Sorry but you made the same mistake my brother did when he first played through it and it's making me laugh.

The ?? just means the dragon's HP is >80 so until you knock it down into the normal max visible HP you won't be able to see how much is left. Just use Athos or other units that can take the damage and do enough to be worthwhile. Feel free to take your time, it shouldn't be that big an issue to just have Athos whittle it down with Forblaze while you keep healing him.

Athoes is dead though, he died killing the level boss

I'm gonna have to restart the whole level. I have no idea how I managed to kill all the normal enemies on the final level, half my attacks did no damage so it was pretty much Hector, Vaidya and Athoes doing all the damage while everyone else acted as a meat shield

If I reload the game it's just the 3 main characters and Pent, and Hector is the only one that can survive one hit, and even if Pent heals him it's not to max, and the Dragon kills him in the next turn

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm gonna have to restart the whole level. I have no idea how I managed to kill all the normal enemies on the final level, half my attacks did no damage so it was pretty much Hector, Vaidya and Athoes doing all the damage while everyone else acted as a meat shield

If I reload the game it's just the 3 main characters and Pent, and Hector is the only one that can survive one hit, and even if Pent heals him it's not to max, and the Dragon kills him in the next turn
Do you have the recover staff? It will heal units to full HP. Do you have another healer? I know you didn't pick up Renault in the previous chapter, he usually fills the extra healer roll in the final chapter. No other magic units, like Lucius, Erk, or Canas? Athos can definitely kill the Dragon on his own if you heal him

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
...Yeah, you're going to need Athos to survive. He can use any magic you have, so break out any Luna, Status Staves (for dealing with the lesser bosses), Bolting, etc.

Do you have any Elixirs? For the Dragon, you can simply have Athos wait in its range to counterattack with Aureola, and have him use Elixirs on his turns. If not, heal him with other characters.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Do you have the recover staff? It will hill units to full HP. Do you have another healer? I know you didn't pick up Renault in the previous chapter, he usually fills the extra healer roll in the final chapter. No other magic units, like Lucius, Erk, or Canas? Athos can definitely kill the Dragon on his own if you heal him

I think I'll have to reply the level and try and keep Pent and Athos alive

I might have to use a guide to get to the level boss without losing too many units. If I can keep my 5/6 Level 20s alive they can hopefully all take some of the 120 damage away before dying and then Athos and Hector and finish him off

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'll have to reply the level and try and keep Pent and Athos alive

I might have to use a guide to get to the level boss without losing too many units. If I can keep my 5/6 Level 20s alive they can hopefully all take some of the 120 damage away before dying and then Athos and Hector and finish him off
You definitely need Athos to win, but you don't need to sacrifice all your units. Athos can kill the dragon on his own with healing of some kind, whether from Pent or Elixirs.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
His Nils is dead. Seems like he's quasi-Ironman'd this run, which... makes this final map challenging, especially since he has limited healing available.

As long as your Athos survives to the dragon, and you have an elixir(s), or a Recover stave, you should be fine.

I can confirm we lost Nils during the great batter of chapter 30, hit by a magic user from halfway across the map. I'd moved him into a forest to keep him safe. If I'd left him at the bottom of the map he'd still be with us today. That's just something I have to live with

I think I need to keep Athos alive and then give him all my elixirs and see if that works, otherwise I've made my save unwinnable

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I can confirm we lost Nils during the great batter of chapter 30, hit by a magic user from halfway across the map. I'd moved him into a forest to keep him safe. If I'd left him at the bottom of the map he'd still be with us today. That's just something I have to live with

I think I need to keep Athos alive and then give him all my elixirs and see if that works, otherwise I've made my save unwinnable

Shouldn't be unwinnable at all. You've already managed to defeat the pre-dragon phase once.

Just make sure Athos survives. If you have any status staves—Sleep, Berserk, Silence, etc—Athos should be able to make effective use of them vs the bosses with his high magic (for accuracy), which might make the fight less overwhelming.

Athos with Luna can easily defeat Nergal.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Shouldn't be unwinnable at all. You've already managed to defeat the pre-dragon phase once.

Just make sure Athos survives. If you have any status staves—Sleep, Berserk, Silence, etc—Athos should be able to make effective use of them vs the bosses with his high magic (for accuracy), which might make the fight less overwhelming.

Athos with Luna can easily defeat Nergal.

Is Luna a spell? I don't think I have that

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Man, even going back with the DLC, this fire emblem warriors is just kinda mediocre and I really can't pinpoint exactly why compared to other musou, I mean the movesets and roster are lacking sure but maybe it's more that the game tries to make it more strategic but still takes an eternity to deliver information in vintage musou fashion. that and the special moves feel waaaay too long.
Maybe one day I'll get Lyn and Celica, and then be underwhelmed with their copy/paste powers.

Never would've thought Heroes would be the better outing last year but here we are.

Well, Celica is just Marth's moveset, and you've already played with Lyn's if you're using the DLC (Navarre). I generally liked the systems of the game though, like commanding units and attacks being able to open the weak point gauge, rather than having to rely solely on the AI like in HWs, which can be really frustrating at times. It's not the first time we get commanding units, but I think this was the best implementation so far, especially since the units are actually worthwhile as npcs too, rather than needing the player to switch to them to accomplish anything in time.

However, when the developers kept defending their decisions regarding cast and even doubled down on it with the DLC it was obvious that side of the game had gone very wrong.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You will be fine, as long as you have Athos your save is not unwinnable. Luna is a good tome because it ignores enemy resistance, but it is not necessary for defeating Nergal or the dragon, Aureola is enough to beat them both if you keep Athos alive.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to know what your team consists of. FE7 is really the first FE that has generous growths across the board. You can still get RNG screwed but there are so many amazing units to choose from it's hard to go wrong.

Wait till you glitch Vaida's Spear lol

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Celica is just Marth's moveset, and you've already played with Lyn's if you're using the DLC (Navarre). I generally liked the systems of the game though, like commanding units and attacks being able to open the weak point gauge, rather than having to rely solely on the AI like in HWs, which can be really frustrating at times. It's not the first time we get commanding units, but I think this was the best implementation so far, especially since the units are actually worthwhile as npcs too, rather than needing the player to switch to them to accomplish anything in time.

However, when the developers kept defending their decisions regarding cast and even doubled down on it with the DLC it was obvious that side of the game had gone very wrong.
Ohhh, so that's why Navarre's moveset actually felt new, I figured I'd just forgotten Ryoma's but then again there was no lightning trickery here.

Actually I'm now more surprised that Lyn had her own moveset from the start.
I do agree that some of the combat systems are pretty neat in regards to the weakness gauge.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Luna is the best spell since it ignores Resistance.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ohhh, so that's why Navarre's moveset actually felt new, I figured I'd just forgotten Ryoma's but then again there was no lightning trickery here.

Actually I'm now more surprised that Lyn had her own moveset from the start.
I do agree that some of the combat systems are pretty neat in regards to the weakness gauge.

There is some speculation that the moveset was made for Navarre in first place, but they moved Navarre to NPC/DLC clone once IS asked them to add Lyn to the game. Navarre is often shown dual wielding in artwork, while Lyn only did it in her Awakening DLC appearance.

There's also the C4( I think, the one where he just jumps in a circle 4 times), which is similar to what you get with a brave sword and the Swordmaster critical animation in Shadow Dragon/New Mystery. The C1 matches Lyn's attack, but it's also the standard Swordmaster animation in Shadow Dragon... so it doesn't really tell anything.

And, regarding her Awakening appearance, although they eventually added her Awakening costume, her Sol Katti has a design based on its original GBA icon, while it was redesigned in Awakening once it got an actual model and artwork, and that design was kept by IS for Heroes - so, it doesn't seem like Awakening was really a primary source of inspiration for her here, since they outright ignored an actual detailed artwork and model and tried to make a design out of a small weapon icon (which didn't even match her battle sprite). There's also how in Awakening she insists that Robin is Mark even if the player denies it, while in Warriors she just says they're similar.

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, Shadow Dragon only had the three playable characters by default so I could also buy the idea that Navarre was hastily dropped since their role in the story comes across lesser than Awakening and Fates.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017

If you managed to get to the dragon once you should be able to beat it, just get to the dragon with Athos alive pretty much. If you have elixirs give them to him, then he can just get hit by the dragon on enemy phase and heal every turn, or if you have a physic staff you can give it to Pent (or Athos, but he's better as a damage dealer) to heal people from afar. If you have any status staves (berserk, sleep, etc) they can make the boss rush part of the level easier, Athos should be able to use them well and you have decent chances of landing on the non-mage bosses.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Finished New Mystery of the Emblem earlier on maniac. Definitely one of my favorite games in the series now; I'm honestly really impressed by how much they managed to get out of FE3's already reasonably-solid map designs by intelligently tweaking the AI / enemy layouts / enemy loadouts. Not really a fan of how many characters the game heaps on you despite half of them being useless, though - it feels like most of them could only have any value on normal or maybe hard mode. FE3 was actually the first game in the series I played back in 2010, so it was interestingly nostalgic going through 12.

With that, I've beaten the first twelve games in the series. I'd probably rank them like this.

Thracia 776 - kind of a mess, but I love its weird mechanics (especially the imbalanced staves and capturing)
New Mystery of the Emblem - feels like the most refined game in the series, I might like it better than Thracia
Radiant Dawn - the cycling parties have their low points and there might be too many OP characters, but conversely I appreciate that you're forced to use weaker characters a lot too. Plus the level design is generally very good and the height system is a great addition.
Path of Radiance - the difficulty starts to drop off a cliff around the time Ike promotes but until that point I feel this is one of the high points in the series for interesting levels. Just wish this game weren't one of the easiest in the series; I wonder if Maniac mode is actually fun or if it is as tedious as people make it sound. The Tellius games definitely have the coolest worldbuilding in the series (Path of Radiance moreso) for what that's worth.
Binding Blade - not a fan of the weird weapon accuracy but I do like that most of your characters usually have some kind of notable weakness, as well as how drawn-out some of the stages get. Easily the best GBA game.
Sacred Stones - I really enjoyed my playthrough but if I hadn't handicapped myself by completely avoiding all optional battles I feel it would have fallen apart.
Blazing Blade - good, compact levels, but the difficulty is so low it really lets the concepts some of the stages try to play with down. Whenever I unlock Hector's hard mode I might really get into this.
Mystery of the Emblem - solid, but on the easy side compared to what came later; FE12 really brings 3's stage concepts to life.
Genealogy of the Holy War - I like a lot of the gimmicks this game introduces, it's conceptually interesting, but the levels are often repetitive and not even as interesting as FE3's.
Shadow Dragon - I only played this once on normal (one of my first FEs) and wasn't very impressed. I should play one of the harder modes someday; I know the game has a lot of broken shit but maybe it's at least somewhat more interesting when it isn't comically easy.
Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light - neat first try, obviously almost all the later games are better but I enjoyed playing this one
Gaiden - lol

I'll have to play the 3DS games later. Mainly I'm really excited to give Fates Conquest a shot, and sometime after that I'll at least need to play Awakening too.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If you managed to get to the dragon once you should be able to beat it, just get to the dragon with Athos alive pretty much. If you have elixirs give them to him, then he can just get hit by the dragon on enemy phase and heal every turn, or if you have a physic staff you can give it to Pent (or Athos, but he's better as a damage dealer) to heal people from afar. If you have any status staves (berserk, sleep, etc) they can make the boss rush part of the level easier, Athos should be able to use them well and you have decent chances of landing on the non-mage bosses.

I'm gonna reload my save to the start of 31 and go from there later tonight

I tried to rush all the enemies which was advice given to me here so I lost units because of that (I figured it didn't matter because this was the end of the game)

My only concern is that if I play conservatively I'll get overwhelmed/surrounded and be unable to get to the level boss, never mind the Dragon

Worst case scenario I can reload my save to 29x or 30 and try to level my lords up a little more

God I'm so annoyed, I was so close to beating the game and now I have potentially hours of grinding and replaying to go (I think I'll turn animations off)

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Finished New Mystery of the Emblem earlier on maniac. Definitely one of my favorite games in the series now; I'm honestly really impressed by how much they managed to get out of FE3's already reasonably-solid map designs by intelligently tweaking the AI / enemy layouts / enemy loadouts. Not really a fan of how many characters the game heaps on you despite half of them being useless, though - it feels like most of them could only have any value on normal or maybe hard mode. FE3 was actually the first game in the series I played back in 2010, so it was interestingly nostalgic going through 12.

With that, I've beaten the first twelve games in the series. I'd probably rank them like this.

Thracia 776 - kind of a mess, but I love its weird mechanics (especially the imbalanced staves and capturing)
New Mystery of the Emblem - feels like the most refined game in the series, I might like it better than Thracia
Radiant Dawn - the cycling parties have their low points and there might be too many OP characters, but conversely I appreciate that you're forced to use weaker characters a lot too. Plus the level design is generally very good and the height system is a great addition.
Path of Radiance - the difficulty starts to drop off a cliff around the time Ike promotes but until that point I feel this is one of the high points in the series for interesting levels. Just wish this game weren't one of the easiest in the series; I wonder if Maniac mode is actually fun or if it is as tedious as people make it sound. The Tellius games definitely have the coolest worldbuilding in the series (Path of Radiance moreso) for what that's worth.
Binding Blade - not a fan of the weird weapon accuracy but I do like that most of your characters usually have some kind of notable weakness, as well as how drawn-out some of the stages get. Easily the best GBA game.
Sacred Stones - I really enjoyed my playthrough but if I hadn't handicapped myself by completely avoiding all optional battles I feel it would have fallen apart.
Blazing Blade - good, compact levels, but the difficulty is so low it really lets the concepts some of the stages try to play with down. Whenever I unlock Hector's hard mode I might really get into this.
Mystery of the Emblem - solid, but on the easy side compared to what came later; FE12 really brings 3's stage concepts to life.
Genealogy of the Holy War - I like a lot of the gimmicks this game introduces, it's conceptually interesting, but the levels are often repetitive and not even as interesting as FE3's.
Shadow Dragon - I only played this once on normal (one of my first FEs) and wasn't very impressed. I should play one of the harder modes someday; I know the game has a lot of broken shit but maybe it's at least somewhat more interesting when it isn't comically easy.
Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light - neat first try, obviously almost all the later games are better but I enjoyed playing this one
Gaiden - lol

I'll have to play the 3DS games later. Mainly I'm really excited to give Fates Conquest a shot, and sometime after that I'll at least need to play Awakening too.
Thanks for the writeup. Interesting history you have there playing the games almost chronologically. I would really like to know your perspective on the 3DS games, especially the pair-up mechanic and how it evolved haha

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna reload my save to the start of 31 and go from there later tonight

I tried to rush all the enemies which was advice given to me here so I lost units because of that (I figured it didn't matter because this was the end of the game)

My only concern is that if I play conservatively I'll get overwhelmed/surrounded and be unable to get to the level boss, never mind the Dragon

Worst case scenario I can reload my save to 29x or 30 and try to level my lords up a little more

God I'm so annoyed, I was so close to beating the game and now I have potentially hours of grinding and replaying to go (I think I'll turn animations off)
Just curious but was there a reason why you weren't saving after each chapter? Repeating multiple chapters is a pain. I'm actually surprised that you hasn't turned off attack animations already!

You are in a far from unwinnable state. Just have to follow the tips from the others above.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't turn down animations until Path of Radiance here... Heh.
Once you complete the game, you will be able to speed up your units' movement by holding the A button (I initially thought it was a bug).

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just curious but was there a reason why you weren't saving after each chapter? Repeating multiple chapters is a pain. I'm actually surprised that you hasn't turned off attack animations already!

You are in a far from unwinnable state. Just have to follow the tips from the others above.

Either I wasn't clear or you misread, but basically I've used the 3 save slots as a rolling save, so I have a save on 29x a save on 30 and a save on 31

If I can't beat the game from my save on 31 I can always go back to 30 and try to grind so I have a better team balance

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Frankly, I would recommend you to restart chapter 30. Having Nils alive can make a world of difference in the last chapter. You will also have another go at recruiting Renault (his healing staff is very handy in the good hands). Still, chapter 31 should be doable, unless you really screwed up and have no healing staves whatsoever.

Last edited:

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Either I wasn't clear or you misread, but basically I've used the 3 save slots as a rolling save, so I have a save on 29x a save on 30 and a save on 31

If I can't beat the game from my save on 31 I can always go back to 30 and try to grind so I have a better team balance

Yep I definitely misread. My bad. You're so close. Please achieve what I've never done and beat FE7.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Did Nils die on 30, though? If so, I'd highly recommend restarting for him and Renault (recruited from the northwestern ruin). Combined, they should make 31 significantly easier. Renault comes with the Fortify staff, which heals all units in range. Using him as your healer could free up Pent for offense.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If starting at 30 would allow you to keep Nils alive and recruit Renault, you should do that. Both are very helpful for the final chapters.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Nils gives you an extra move. Renault is an excellent healer. I do hope you have more staffs, so you can keep most of the fortify use for the last stretch.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If starting at 30 would allow you to keep Nils alive and recruit Renault, you should do that. Both are very helpful for the final chapters.

I'm going to try one more time from level 31 and see if I can get to the dragon with more character alive, but if that fails I'll drop back to chapter 30 and do this

I'm about to try now, so wish me luck!

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm at the dragon, old man is alive, as are 3/4 of my team, the old guy has elixers, Pent is alive and has a healing staff!

I'm going in!

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just wanted to drop in and say...Happy Birthday to best girl! Thanks for saving the Fire Emblem Franchise!

Bwu6T8jsc48eMA90GG3X14ZlcosThw5ptQc2Lq_26S8.png