• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
What's everyone's absolute favorite in the series? Be it for story or gameplay or both?

"Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem" by far. I just love the characters and story that goes along with it. Marth's ascent is believable to me, and people like Camus & Hardin keeps the plot interesting.

Gameplay may be considered basic compared to today's standards but it just has so much charm to it in my eyes.
And I don't have to struggle choosing faves since it also has FE1 in it~

Also Sheeda is in it...twice~

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Radiant Dawn is an interesting game, but I think people vary wildly in their opinions of it because its one of the most experimental FE titles, right up there with Gaiden/Echoes. That's what I like about it, but that is also why it isn't even close to one of my favorite games in the series, because the structure gets in the way of my favorite aspect of FE, building an army of chosen powerful units and seeing them through the entire game. RD simply jumps around too much, and doesn't give you that same sense of progression that other FE games do. The general unit balance is upset by the structure as well, as most of the Dawn Brigade units are useless by the time they resurface in the game. People are also split on some of the narrative choices in that game, and Micaiah is generally considered a rather disappointing character.

That said, when you get to chapter 4 in that game, you have your pick of tons of completely overpowered characters while the game throws nonsense challenges at you.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
Fire Emblem is one of my favorite game series since the GBA games came out. FE8 is my favorite overall but honestly I love them all except FE11 and FE15 (pretty game though). I haven't played 1 2 or 4.

I've been slowly working through a playthrough of FE6 and I honestly think it might be the hardest game in the series. I really hope they remake it eventually so more people can experience it.

Anyway my overall ranking of the games I have played:
FE8>FE13>FE7>FE14 (ranking all as one)>FE9>FE6>FE5>FE10>>>>FE12>FE3>>>>>>>>FE15>FE11.

Overall I think the GBA games were the best the series ever was to me but on my list everything FE10 and onwards is excellent. I can't wait to see what a new Fire Emblem Switch looks like.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any indication they are remaking FE4? I have never played it but I've heard great things

WoollyTitan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Maldovarium
Oh, hello! Found it! Found my Fire Emblem thread at long last! *_* Though I admit I mostly found myself just playing Heroes lately... I bought Echoes a while ago (the LE at that), but I haven't even OPENED it yet, and I JUST got myself a shiny new Switch and Warriors (LE again!), but I haven't even fired up either of them cause TOO MUCH STUFF! ;_;

Btw, anyone interested in maybe kinda sorta exploring a little project with me? I want to translate the Cipher cards into English, and maybe even consider putting together something for Tabletop. Just a thought?

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city
Oh, hello! Found it! Found my Fire Emblem thread at long last! *_* Though I admit I mostly found myself just playing Heroes lately... I bought Echoes a while ago (the LE at that), but I haven't even OPENED it yet, and I JUST got myself a shiny new Switch and Warriors (LE again!), but I haven't even fired up either of them cause TOO MUCH STUFF! ;_;

Btw, anyone interested in maybe kinda sorta exploring a little project with me? I want to translate the Cipher cards into English, and maybe even consider putting together something for Tabletop. Just a thought?
That sounds cool. What are you using as your source material. Do you have actual cards, or is there an online database somewhere? I don't really know much about the card game.

WoollyTitan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Maldovarium
That sounds cool. What are you using as your source material. Do you have actual cards, or is there an online database somewhere? I don't really know much about the card game.
Yup, there's a pretty big database out there:
https://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Fire_Emblem_TCG

There are also many individualized artworks that makes things a lot easier on various image boards. As for the card designs/templates, I can faithfully recreate them myself. So, all I would really need is a willing translator lol. And if you want to go the extra mile, folks willing to jigger something up for Tabletop.

I don't want to make anything major out of this, like a ROM hack translation lol. This is just an idea, but I do also recognize there's quite a bit of demand for this TCG to come stateside that Nintendo doesn't even remotely care to look at.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any indication they are remaking FE4? I have never played it but I've heard great things
There is the hopeful thinking of all 12 of us who played the game. Also, it'd be the "next in line" for a remake. That said, Echoes' director expressed more interest in remaking 6, and Roy is much more popular than Sigurd and Seliph thanks to Smash, so I already expect the next Echoes entry to throw me in a pit of despair.

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city
Yup, there's a pretty big database out there:
https://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Fire_Emblem_TCG

There are also many individualized artworks that makes things a lot easier on various image boards. As for the card designs/templates, I can faithfully recreate them myself. So, all I would really need is a willing translator lol. And if you want to go the extra mile, folks willing to jigger something up for Tabletop.

I don't want to make anything major out of this, like a ROM hack translation lol. This is just an idea, but I do also recognize there's quite a bit of demand for this TCG to come stateside that Nintendo doesn't even remotely care to look at.
Well if you decide to go through with it, I can probably help with some translation. It would be fun to contribute to a grassoots project like this.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone commenting Radiant Dawn is making me realize I need to bust out my copy and ACTUALLY play it. Really want to finish Conquest, even if only to go through Birthright/Revelations and to feel justified in finally playing Echoes. Warriors looks fun, even if solely from a fan-service perspective.

One tip before you start RD. Normal is traditional FE's Hard mode. Hard in RD is extra hard and removed weapon triangle, so I suggest starting Normal mode first. Play it !

The split armies in Radiant Dawn is actually why I loved that game. I loved playing Ike's part, then jumping to micaiah, then a side story of Geoffrey.

Kinda wish the concept was expanded upon in future installments. Could be used in intresting narratives situations.

It could also be balanced better. Maybe do what Fates children DLC did and have a set Level and equipment,

Exactly! The linear scaling of army growing formula in Fire Emblem is fine and all, but I just loved that RD stepped out of the comfort zone and lets us assume control of different groups of characters at different point in time. Sure it's not perfect. Some characters get more play time, some has terrible availability, some has terrible starting base/level to catch up, the game is not well-balanced or fair in this aspect. But I think it's really neat that we get to use so many characters because they had their time to shine and role to play, even for a short while. And my mind was blown when one minute you're controlling this army, and then next, you're fighting the very army you were controlling. Shit was crazy.

Like you said, I really hoped IS revisit this concept.

nomemorial

Oct 27, 2017
One tip before you start RD. Normal is traditional FE's Hard mode. Hard in RD is extra hard and removed weapon triangle, so I suggest starting Normal mode first. Play it!

Thanks for the heads up! Since my time for gaming these days is relatively limited, I rarely find myself opting for hard mode in much of anything anyways, but it's good to know how it scales up front.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone! I thought this would be a chance as good as any other to start posting in the community.

Back before Warriors came out, I revisited Awakening in order to play some DLC I'd never played. Started Apotheosis and even though I was sure my units were strong enough (overleveled by main campaign standards) they destroyed me at the third wave.

Do you have any recommendations? Looks like Limit Break is a must, but that's a lot of grinding.

Neapolitan

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
What's everyone's absolute favorite in the series? Be it for story or gameplay or both?

I love the SoV's entire presentation. The music are great, the story is tight, the voice actors fit the characters, and the art are beautiful. Please IS, assign Hidari again to handle FE Switch title.

I don't enjoy the gameplay much. One can only eat so much before getting fed up with Cantor Emblem. The dream is getting the SoV presentation married with Conquest's gameplay. CQ chapter 10 is infuriating in a good way.

Tetsuo9

Oct 28, 2017
Heya, long time lurker so I want to reset my lazy habits and start posting in a thread about one of my favourite series currently.

2 months ago I started new mystery of the emblem on DS on hard difficulty and damn, it was really hard for me. My idea of using linde as my main mage failed hard as she got pretty bad stat increases. I think I got to the chapter where I had to get the chameleon character.

Currently playing through chapter 3 in SoV, classic hard mode, and having a blast. Really invested in the story and characters.

Wissenschaft

Oct 28, 2017
I've played the GBA games, PoR, and the 3DS games and Fates Conquest is my favorite fire emblem. Great maps, great gameplay, lots of replayability. The story might not be good but I still enjoy the game a lot. The dream would be to match PoR's level of story to the gameplay of conquest. Heres hoping the switch title can move in that direction.

Of the GBA games, I like FE 8 the most. Good story and promotion options. I like having more choice in my FE games. Currently playing FE warriors and loving it. Its really fun and makes for a nice break from stressful lunatic runs.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if IS is planning to remake POR at some point, it is rather ugly compared to the current standard (we dont talk about FE1/FE2 remakes) but I guess the games that have no official release should take priority.

If they remake FE6 will they make Roy great again? ...ok he was never great

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Roy is almost definitely getting a buff in a hypothetical FE6 remake. He's become (well, he always has been really) one of the faces of the series between Smash and polling almost top of the CYL poll.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if IS is planning to remake POR at some point, it is rather ugly compared to the current standard (we dont talk about FE1/FE2 remakes) but I guess the games that have no official release should take priority.

If they remake FE6 will they make Roy great again? ...ok he was never great

I think the "Echoes" subtitle is the branding that could bring back some of the old titles to new audiences. But as you said, those without official release should have the priority. The good side of that is that PoR could get an even prettier remake at Switch 2 or something...

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
There is the hopeful thinking of all 12 of us who played the game. Also, it'd be the "next in line" for a remake. That said, Echoes' director expressed more interest in remaking 6, and Roy is much more popular than Sigurd and Seliph thanks to Smash, so I already expect the next Echoes entry to throw me in a pit of despair.

it wasn't the echoes director which is Kusakihara, it's the Nintendo equivalent which doesn't matter as much.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
It does make me wonder which titles will next get the Echoes treatment if they continue to bring back the older games. I would love to see FE 6 and 7 get remade since I loved 6 and currently going through 7 which by the way is frustrating with how often attacks miss.

I'll be playing SS next which is another title I've been anxious to start.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
it wasn't the echoes director which is Kusakihara, it's the Nintendo equivalent which doesn't matter as much.
Well, that makes me feel a little more hopeful at least. And it's not like I don't want a FE6 remake, but rather I feel the Jugdral duology is way overdue a chance at the west. The only other game I'd be "okay" superseeding them for now is Mystery of the Emblem since otherwise who knows if it'll ever get a future opportunity to make it here, but I don't think they'd remake it so soon.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely want remake priority to be given to the games that haven't made it over here.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
While I don't think we'll see another FE1/FE3 remake anytime soon, the new audience Awakening brought in as well as Echoes' presentation updates would make any potential remake feel vastly different from FE11 and 12. Plus we'd finally get to see half of the Archanean cast get some actual characterisation for once so I'd be down for it. But yeah, Judgral comes first, always.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
tbh, the one reason that gave genealogy fans some hope for a jugdral remake is that they gave Sigurd/Deirdre/Arvis rather nice voice actors.

Sigurd = http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Toshiyuki-Morikawa/
Deidre/Diadora = http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Kikuko-Inoue/
Arvis = http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Sho-Hayami/

Genealogy also being the creator of the two generations/shipping because of awakening/fates.

Well, that makes me feel a little more hopeful at least. And it's not like I don't want a FE6 remake, but rather I feel the Jugdral duology is way overdue a chance at the west. The only other game I'd be "okay" superseeding them for now is Mystery of the Emblem since otherwise who knows if it'll ever get a future opportunity to make it here, but I don't think they'd remake it so soon.

I can see it going either way. I do think they realize that old school fans of Fire emblem are big time four fans.

As for the Nintendo director.

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Kenta_Nakanishi

He replaced

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Genki_Yokota

Int sys had

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Toshiyuki_Kusakihara

but iirc it was Maeda who did fates and Awakening (and is the lead on heroes)

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Kouhei_Maeda

edit. one guy you will see in interviews all the time is

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Masahiro_Higuchi and http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Tohru_Narihiro

Narihiro is the big boss of fire emblem.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Got a question for you guys but is there any truth that Fates will be ported to the switch? Loved awakenings but have not played the fates series yet. With the rumor I heard a while back or similar and owning a Switch I've thought on holding on this edition than getting it on 3DS.

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city
Got a question for you guys but is there any truth that Fates will be ported to the switch? Loved awakenings but have not played the fates series yet. With the rumor I heard a while back or similar and owning a Switch I've thought on holding on this edition than getting it on 3DS.
I don't remember much, but wasn't that rumor based mostly on an image that was confirmed to be a photoshop?

Pent

Oct 27, 2017
(Hello from the old forum, everyone!)

I seriously doubt Fates will be ported to Swtich anytime soon. IntSys doesn't really do FE ports. It would be awesome if they did, though.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't expect any of the 3DS titles to get ports - there's an original Switch FE releasing just next year, the 3DS games' presentation is going to look very rough in comparison.

If the Switch ever gets some kind of Virtual Console before the end of its life, that's probably the most likely avenue for playing older titles on it.

Oct 25, 2017
Shadow Dragon prices are insane. I remember when that game was in the bargain bins at Walmart for like $10. Now Amazon has it for $60 used. You would think the game being on the Wii U VC would keep the price down a little bit but apparently not. I was able to get both GBA titles on legit carts for less than that price. Want to play as many of the older games as I can but I think in that case I'd just as soon spend $10 for the Wii U VC version as try to track down a cart for a decent price.

Chrom

Oct 26, 2017
There were some rather dubious sources suggesting such a thing supposedly happening, but I don't believe any of it is true and would personally chock it up as just general weird happenstances leading to those stories. I don't feel it would make sense for it to be real just because it just doesn't fit in with anything else Intelligent Systems has been saying or doing. There's the all-new Fire Emblem they've been working on for Switch already slated for next year, and as far as I know they've never suggested wanting to do more with FE Fates, so even with those rumors I think it'd still be pretty out of nowhere. The general appeal of a port of the game on Switch wouldn't really be all that interesting compared to anything else they could do, so I'd be very surprised if they were to actually pursue that.

So in short, I wouldn't hold my breath on it happening. The game is fine as it is on 3DS, so I'd encourage trying it soon if it interests you.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Fire Emblem is one of my favorite series, so uh, hi!

I guess in my personal ranking of the games I've played, it's

Path of Radiance > Echoes > Awakening > Sacred Stones > Fates > Blazing Blade > Shadow Dragon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Radiant Dawn

(I kid. I like Radiant Dawn well enough, but hell if that game isn't a mess.)

But I really do like Echoes a lot. The maps do have some insane Famicom-era quirks (crossing the poison swamp is a trial in itself, good god), but otherwise, the game did everything right where Shadow Dragon took a misstep.

Pent

Oct 27, 2017
Radiant Dawn is a beautiful disaster, lol. And it had to succeed a game as amazing as PoR.

Pent

Oct 27, 2017
Though it has its issues I enjoyed playing Radiant Dawn. The Third Tier classes were dope. Pretty much everything except for the Dawn Brigade chapters was great.

YES. Third tier promotions are extremely fun.

That game could have been so much different if the Dawn Brigade had characters as well written as the Greil mercs. :( The plot would have been boring if they didn't focus on Daein characters, but a lot of them felt really generic and forgettable.