• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pierogi Mage

One Winged Slayer
Dec 7, 2017
So i have 30% off either fire emblem fates conquest or shadows of velentia for my birthday. Ive only played awakening and heroes but i put alot of time into them. Which would be the better one to play?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So i have 30% off either fire emblem fates conquest or shadows of velentia for my birthday. Ive only played awakening and heroes but i put alot of time into them. Which would be the better one to play?

Depends entirely what you're playing for. They're complete opposites, and their respective strengths are the other's weakness.

If you're playing for story, world immersion, and characters, go with SoV. It's more RPG-ish, and a black sheep in the series, as it has 3D explorable dungeons, but doesn't have the weapon triangle and has many plain maps.

If you're playing for tactical gameplay, intricate map design, or the marriage/children mechanics, go with Fates. It has some top tier maps, but the story is so bad you'll quickly want to skip cutscenes.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently NVC had a terrible Three Houses segment recently? I've got three different Fire Emblem YouTubers tearing them apart for it in my YouTube recommendations.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
That's what happens when nobody does their research, the video is titled something along the lines of why they're excited for the switch game when one of the 3 says he isn't, and other mistakes.

It would've been better if they just said that they don't know the franchise, and pointed out things for the trailer that they happened to like.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So, I've been listening to the Three Houses trailer's music for two hours on loop today.

Nintendo, please help.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Still has a Spring 2019 release date from the recent financial results briefing. I think we'll hear something real soon.

Realistically that doesn't mean anything, since they reaffirmed its initial 2018 release window right before slating it for Spring 2019 at E3, but I agree we'll hear about it in the next Direct and it will stay Spring (probably May-June).

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don'tbelieve it has development issues, Nintendo is quiet as a whole, it isn't just 3 Houses that we lack news

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I don'tbelieve it has development issues, Nintendo is quiet as a whole, it isn't just 3 Houses that we lack news

Yeah. I don't think it's encountering issues in this late stage, or going to be delayed again.

It seems likely to me that Nintendo just wanted to wait until after Smash's all-consuming hype cycle to begin Three Houses', and the first opportunity will be the next Direct — hopefully in the next week or so.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
The more I watch the trailer — and god, have I been watching it — the more I hope the Church of the Seiros is the ultimate antagonist. Although evil churches are a trope, we've basically never had a main female antagonist in Fire Emblem before, and the Seiros was very cold and aloof — unmoved by the war around her, or her soldier's sacrifice to protect her.

Edelgard's narration:

"Long ago, the Divine Seiros received a revelation from the Goddess; a gift to help guide the lost. Now, the Goddess watches of Fodlan from her kingdom above . . . as the mother of all life, the arbiter of every soul."

"Such a brutal, irrational world we live in. Some believe the crests, tokens of the Goddess' power, are necessary to maintain order — but they're wrong teacher, the crests are to blame."

"Do you dare to walk this path with me? One misstep, and we fall to our ruin. So take your first step — it's now or never!"

"I will return here someday my teacher. Promise me . . . that you won't forget me."

---

From that, it seems like the Seiros was imparted with the Crests by the Goddess to "guide the lost." Combined with Edelgard's conviction that the crests are to blame — and the fact that the ~21 crests correspond with noble houses, including the three lords' — it seems like the Church of the Seiros disseminated them (as a means of controlling the population, or inciting conflict?).

It also seems like Fodlan remains in conflict, given Edelgard's "brutal, irrational world," and the fact that they're training at a military academy. Edelgard embarking on a ruinous path with her teacher implies to me that she's going against the authority of the land, the Church, to remove the influence of the crests.

What does her line at the end mean? Is she leaving voluntarily? Being exiled? Something supernatural? The "here" probably refers to the military academy/castle, since the background song intones:

Reach for my hand
I'll soar away
into the dawn
though I wish I could stay
in your cherished halls

(I can't make out further lyrics)

Strangely, the old man in the cutscenes uses the same whip-sword that the Seiros later clutches happily. He's also clad in similar colors as Edelgard's house, though has a different symbol on his armor/cape. Is he from outside Fodlan? A barbarian land, given his army's (? we never actually see him among them) attire? Is that conflict ancient or current? What's the chronology of the whip-sword's ownership, since we see two conflicting factions with it?

I'm bored, sup.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
While that might be true, we tend to have more news about a given Fire Emblem game than we have received for Three Houses at this point. Before Fates launched, we got a pretty in-depth interview explaining the origins of the multiple paths, an explanation of the new mechanics i.e. the dragon vein, weapon durability, etc., the general premise and first impressions via coverage of a demo. So far, all Fire Emblem: House Season 3 Available Now On DVD has shown is a single trailer which leaves us with more questions than answers; we don't know much about the story, hence all the speculation over who the main antagonist will be (Spoilers: It's going to be someone or something resulting in the heroes facing off against a winged deity-like figure and/or dragon whose power threaten's humanity's existence) or how the three houses play their parts in the game.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
While that might be true, we tend to have more news about a given Fire Emblem game than we have received for Three Houses at this point. Before Fates launched, we got a pretty in-depth interview explaining the origins of the multiple paths, an explanation of the new mechanics i.e. the dragon vein, weapon durability, etc., the general premise and first impressions via coverage of a demo. So far, all Fire Emblem: House Season 3 Available Now On DVD has shown is a single trailer which leaves us with more questions than answers; we don't know much about the story, hence all the speculation over who the main antagonist will be (Spoilers: It's going to be someone or something resulting in the heroes facing off against a winged deity-like figure and/or dragon whose power threaten's humanity's existence) or how the three houses play their parts in the game.
Fates was different era, now Nintendo seems more focused on delivering news closer to launch, even smash was like that

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

We do, but the lack of information could be solved as early as this coming week if we receive a Direct — and we need one soon, because nothing is detailed beyond Yoshi in late March.

That would give us 2-4 months of hype cycle, during which we'd likely receive another Direct, be it General or FE-specific. So, pretty comfortable, assuming the ball gets rolling soon. If it doesn't, that might mean another delay, but they seemingly said they anticipated no further delays of known upcoming titles (and we only have a nailed down window for FE, so...).

As I said before, I think we probably haven't received more information yet simply because Smash's hype cycle was all-consuming.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Fates was different era, now Nintendo seems more focused on delivering news closer to launch, even smash was like that
Five months from launch is "close" i.e. when we got that gigantic Smash Bros. dump during E3? It's the same "era" for Nintendo. Unless there's a change in the release date, the latest release date for Fire Emblem Three Doors Down is less than four months away and we know barely anything about it, let alone anything new since its initial reveal. Also, this wasn't the case with Echoes' news cycle, albeit it was a remake as opposed to an original game so there was less information that needed clarification when it came to the general premise.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had an itch to play Fire Emblem, so I figured I'd finally play Revelations (played Birthright and Conquest at launch). God, I forgot how much I hate the story and a lot of the characters. It's grating on me the longer I play. Thankfully I'm almost done.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
As much as people (rightfully) shit on Conquest's story, I sincerely believe Revelation is the actual worst of the bunch in this regard (and all others). Easily.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
I think Conquest has a good story base marred by some really bad plot points (invade Hoshido to get dad to sit on the magic chair). Corrin actually goes through an interesting arc there. Rev on the other hand is not only bad conceptually (everyone teams up to kill the evil dragon when the Hoshido/Nohr conflict is the core of the game), it's also a slog in its own right. Especially with not much lore on Anankos himself. Gotta sell more DLC I guess. Plus its existence drags the other two routes down by ruining whatever nuance Garon could possibly have.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
As much as people (rightfully) shit on Conquest's story, I sincerely believe Revelation is the actual worst of the bunch in this regard (and all others). Easily.
And Conquest at least has good gameplay to distract you from the story. Rev is bad both as a story ad as a game

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If by worse you mean that it's the biggest waste of Fates' potential then I fully agree. As mad as I got playing through Conquest, at least I got some sort of emotional reaction out of it. With Revelations, I felt nothing. While Radiant Dawn and Conquest tell the worst stories in the series' history, the former having abysmal characterization for anyone not named Ike, Sothe or Micaiah (which isn't to say the characterization they get is good but that's besides the point), Revelations is easily the least of those told.

That and at least Conquest has some great map design.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Revs gameplay is barely better than echoes. And honestly I'm probably deducting too much from echoes for the desert fort and forced skirmishes.

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
Five months from launch is "close" i.e. when we got that gigantic Smash Bros. dump during E3? It's the same "era" for Nintendo. Unless there's a change in the release date, the latest release date for Fire Emblem Three Doors Down is less than four months away and we know barely anything about it, let alone anything new since its initial reveal. Also, this wasn't the case with Echoes' news cycle, albeit it was a remake as opposed to an original game so there was less information that needed clarification when it came to the general premise.

If it is still coming out in Spring (May-June) we really need to see gameplay in the next month. Should be a direct within the next ~2 weeks, and that should give them enough time to build hype. FE will probably be the biggest launch in the first half of the year., as unless I'm missing something the only other "big" release is Yoshi. Their current release window is right in the sweet spot between Smash, Pokemon, and probably Animal Crossing.

Especially since Nintendo decided the DLC for Smash I think there's a really, really, REALLY good chance Edelgard will be in the Fighter's pass. Plus, there will probably be multiple banners in FEH leading up to the release, then obviously FE Expo where they'll probably give it one last push. The game will sell regardless but they really need a strong marketing push to take the series to the next level.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I linked to a tweet with a less clean translation from the investors Q&A before, but here's an article clarifying further.

. . . Of course, the volume of games, project scope, and processes have all increased. Thanks to Nintendo's experience and know-how in making games, they have learned to better tackle these issues. Thus, Takahashi says first party games are rarely delayed and launch on time, and he assures the investor that all Nintendo Switch games planned to launch in 2019, including unannounced titles, will launch as planned without delays.

Given that Three Houses is one of the only 2019 first party titles with a specified release quarter, this seems to suggest it will not, in fact, be delayed. We should hear more about it very soon, if true.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever they do start the promotion, I hope they can put out an ad as good as Awakening's. It was one of the few ads I wouldn't skip. I can't even remember a TV or YouTube ad for Fates and Echoes.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The more I watch the trailer — and god, have I been watching it — the more I hope the Church of the Seiros is the ultimate antagonist. Although evil churches are a trope, we've basically never had a main female antagonist in Fire Emblem before, and the Seiros was very cold and aloof — unmoved by the war around her, or her soldier's sacrifice to protect her.

Edelgard's narration:

"Long ago, the Divine Seiros received a revelation from the Goddess; a gift to help guide the lost. Now, the Goddess watches of Fodlan from her kingdom above . . . as the mother of all life, the arbiter of every soul."

"Such a brutal, irrational world we live in. Some believe the crests, tokens of the Goddess' power, are necessary to maintain order — but they're wrong teacher, the crests are to blame."

"Do you dare to walk this path with me? One misstep, and we fall to our ruin. So take your first step — it's now or never!"

"I will return here someday my teacher. Promise me . . . that you won't forget me."

---

From that, it seems like the Seiros was imparted with the Crests by the Goddess to "guide the lost." Combined with Edelgard's conviction that the crests are to blame — and the fact that the ~21 crests correspond with noble houses, including the three lords' — it seems like the Church of the Seiros disseminated them (as a means of controlling the population, or inciting conflict?).

It also seems like Fodlan remains in conflict, given Edelgard's "brutal, irrational world," and the fact that they're training at a military academy. Edelgard embarking on a ruinous path with her teacher implies to me that she's going against the authority of the land, the Church, to remove the influence of the crests.

What does her line at the end mean? Is she leaving voluntarily? Being exiled? Something supernatural? The "here" probably refers to the military academy/castle, since the background song intones:

Reach for my hand
I'll soar away
into the dawn
though I wish I could stay
in your cherished halls

(I can't make out further lyrics)

Strangely, the old man in the cutscenes uses the same whip-sword that the Seiros later clutches happily. He's also clad in similar colors as Edelgard's house, though has a different symbol on his armor/cape. Is he from outside Fodlan? A barbarian land, given his army's (? we never actually see him among them) attire? Is that conflict ancient or current? What's the chronology of the whip-sword's ownership, since we see two conflicting factions with it?

I'm bored, sup.
It does sound like the Church of Seiros will be the main antagonist (unless they pull off some FF9 type bullshit near the end). The Goddess is either a dragon god that throughout the ages lost her mind to the "dragon madness" that's prevalent in the fire emblem series, and she needs to be put down to stop the bloodshed; or the goddess has always had some ulterior motives and is just generically evil.

With what little information we have, the plot is already more interesting in my opinion then Fates, so it's a good sign for me so far. Honestly glad wargroove came out recently, because i've been dying to play another FE/AW-like sprg for a while now.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I want a game that the followers of the god/dragon are evil but the god/dragon itself isn't and instead they are just misinterpreted

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I want a game that the followers of the god/dragon are evil but the god/dragon itself isn't and instead they are just misinterpreted

We also *sort of* got that with Radiant Dawn. But not as much with the "evil followers" part, which is more the angle you're taking.

It'd be funny to have this Manfroy/Gharnef dude succeed only to summon some super nice, benevolent god.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I've been slowly getting back into Fire Emblem Warriors to perhaps eventually getting around to unlocking Lyn and Celica.
I may have been too hard on this game in the past, though the maps are still generic as heck.

Drowning grunts with Azura got me thinking about that one Fates game I didn't play, Birthright.
I'm now kinda intrigued if it's worth a punt, I know it's supposed to be the Awakening like one of the trio but how much of that extends to awakening map stylings of rout enemies all day long?

Gestahl

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I've been slowly getting back into Fire Emblem Warriors to perhaps eventually getting around to unlocking Lyn and Celica.
I may have been too hard on this game in the past, though the maps are still generic as heck.

Drowning grunts with Azura got me thinking about that one Fates game I didn't play, Birthright.
I'm now kinda intrigued if it's worth a punt, I know it's supposed to be the Awakening like one of the trio but how much of that extends to awakening map stylings of rout enemies all day long?
Birthright is basically Awakening but Competent in most of its design. Lots of rout maps, though there are exceptions. Its biggest issue is its anemic difficulty until you finally get to Nohr proper where it just goes full bug fuck crazy and starts spamming dozens of wyverns, paladins, and generals on your ass in ways that would make even Conquest blush.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Birthright is basically Awakening but Competent in most of its design. Lots of rout maps, though there are exceptions. Its biggest issue is its anemic difficulty until you finally get to Nohr proper where it just goes full bug fuck crazy and starts spamming dozens of wyverns, paladins, and generals on your ass in ways that would make even Conquest blush.
Hmm, from breezy to reinforcements galore.
Actually that does sound like Awakening 2.0 right there.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Birthright fatally wounded my FE fandom, I would not recommend it to anyone. There's no challenge or fun to it, unit pairing feels more forced than in Awakening for whatever reason, and as someone who doesn't really care about story in games, I'm sure only very few times I've experienced such a terrible story. All of your units are horny for each other, and that applies to your own waifu, who's always "in the mood" when you go back home. Just terrible all around.

IMHO at least.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
It'd probably be better for me to just replay one of the numerous FE games I have, if I really feel the need to relive Fates lacklustre character lineup I can always try to not have such a disastrous conquest run this time.
Coming to think of it I can't recall much about Revelations outside of moving platforms galore so I'm likely not missing much leaving the one other branch of fates to the side.

Wish I could magic my WiiU VC version of FE7 to just let me jump straight to the Hector mode, my GBA copy turned out to be a counterfeit that deleted itself so I've actually never tried it.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So seems like it's finally time for new TH news this week. I'm both excited and a tiny bit antsy about it.
I thought quite a bit about what I want and what not, maybe I'll post about it later. I just hope IntSys made the right moves.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Birthright is a more well-refined Awakening from a map design. There are streams of reinforcements, but they don't overwhelm you as much, giving you a chance to use strategy instead of making super units (though that is easy to do as well). Maps are also interesting without getting too gimmicky. Story is boring though, peppered by a few interesting scenes. Not offensive at least, for better or worse.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Honestly, I just want the villain to not be some mustache-twirling, two-dimensional bore like Garon and Validar were in Fates & Awakening respectively. Preferably, i'd like for Fire Emblem House: Season 3 to move the series away from the tired "organised religion/militaristic monarchy/theocracy whose goal is to resurrect an ancient/dead deity/dragon" setup and present a more complex villain a la Lyon or Nergal with a more grounded plan and motivation like Lyon's "my own personal failings i.e. lack of confidence in my abilities are what caused me to tirelessly attempt to bring my father back from the dead rather than use my abilities to serve my people as they no doubt suffer through the increasing number of tremors that eventually led to me losing my very humanity" tragedy. It's just so tiring to have these cookie cutter villains when we've seen Fire Emblem do so much better.
We also *sort of* got that with Radiant Dawn. But not as much with the "evil followers" part, which is more the angle you're taking.

It'd be funny to have this Manfroy/Gharnef dude succeed only to summon some super nice, benevolent god.
We talking the same duology where Ashera's followers were committing literal genocide and other war crimes in Path of Radiance (and Radiant too, frankly) because they were racist sacs of garbage to the laguz? Seems pretty evil to me.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
We talking the same duology where Ashera's followers were committing literal genocide and other war crimes in Path of Radiance (and Radiant too, frankly) because they were racist sacs of garbage to the laguz? Seems pretty evil to me.
You are confused, we are talking about Yune not ashera

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You are confused, we are talking about Yune not ashera
Eh, that's a stretch since they didn't really explore much about Yune's actions in either game nor is there any sort of cult around her, not to mention none of the major factions are motivated to revive her until it's all but certain they're going to be awakened by the ongoing war (hell, it's a major plot point that everyone is confused about the laguz and beorc turned to stone on the battlefield, they didn't know that or anything was going to happen aside from "she woke"); all they ever do is call her "the dark god" in both games and Radiant Dawn implies that her negative reputation is owed to Dheginsea misinforming people about who they were/realizing he screwed up (in addition to his other screwups like isolating the dragon laguz while other laguz were put into slavery) but never admitting to it. If anything, Dheginsea is more a subversion of what you're describing given his position and importance in the world i.e. telling people about the old days of Tellius when they were never anything like that. Yune isn't really a character so much as they are a means to an end i.e. pull a pseudo Megami Tensei-like scenario without any of the underlying humanist philosophy in those games.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, that's a stretch since they didn't really explore much about Yune's actions in either game nor is there any sort of cult around her, not to mention none of the major factions are motivated to revive her until it's all but certain they're going to be awakened by the ongoing war (hell, it's a major plot point that everyone is confused about the laguz and beorc turned to stone on the battlefield, they didn't know that or anything was going to happen aside from "she woke"); all they ever do is call her "the dark god" in both games and Radiant Dawn implies that her negative reputation is owed to Dheginsea misinforming people about who they were/realizing he screwed up (in addition to his other screwups like isolating the dragon laguz while other laguz were put into slavery) but never admitting to it. If anything, Dheginsea is more a subversion of what you're describing given his position and importance in the world i.e. telling people about the old days of Tellius when they were never anything like that. Yune isn't really a character so much as they are a means to an end i.e. pull a pseudo Megami Tensei-like scenario without any of the underlying humanist philosophy in those games.
I mean my wish is to have a proper version of the "good god, evil followers" trope