• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to prepare to casul, Conquest on Hard but with the casual safety net, this campaign kicked my arse even on normal/classic.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, and it's a well worn path...
But damn if replaying the first 6 chapters of Fates doesn't just deliver a crash course in awful plot, it's such a rushed ride of absolute nonsense, apologies galore and everyone fawning over Corrin for simply existing.

I think it says it all upon starting up the first chapter of the conquest branch and it's like
"Dad I'm home"
"Corrin?! you're supposed to be dead!.....errr I mean my spies tell me you've been hanging out with those damn weebs, I don't trust you"
"So pops, you didn't like send me into the enemy camp with a googly eye evil sword as part of some ridiculous evil gambit right? also innocent people died and that seems unlike you, y'know even if I now remember the whole sinister murder and kidknapping thing you did"
"NOPE, and let us never speak of it again"

And Xander tells the tallest tale about how you solo'd the Hoshido army as a way to try and deter any potential regicide gambits they feel you may have. Most evil man that ever eviled Garon then responds to this by asking Xander to kill Corrin right there and then, before changing his mind upon consulting the ceiling that apparently told him Corrin can live another day.
TO THINK IT ONLY GETS DUMBER, can't wait.

PS: attacking Sakura is chapter 6 is hilariously horrible.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Three Houses news!?

giphy.gif

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
I really can't wait to get news on this. It's definitely been a long time coming. It'll be interesting to see what they've done with their year of extra time. Expectations are pretty high... We'll see what they have to offer. I'm most interested in seeing how much they've touched up the graphics/framerate/models and the new mechanics/returning mechanics. It's possible we'll have a Three Houses Direct like XB2 had closer to release, but I'm just excited to see actual gameplay.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, it's just everyone is firing out their usual spicy takes.
Despite that, I think some people value Echoes way too much despite very glaring shortcomings.

The only shortcoming in echoes is the map design being mediocre, because they didn't really update them at all from the originals, which almost no-one downplays. It's still a way better game overall than fates, for certain.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only shortcoming in echoes is the map design being mediocre, because they didn't really update them at all from the originals, which almost no-one downplays. It's still a way better game overall than fates, for certain.

I disagree, the general strategic gameplay is barebones, the RNG is badly balanced to the point where IntSys had to add that dumb Turnwheel thing, dungeon crawling is not really fun specially with the wonky movement, the frequent unavoidable copy-pasted battles on the map and the story (hell, even most of the story maps are copy-pasted), while it was way better than Fates' story (wow, what a hard thing to achieve), its not even remotely as good as some people make it sound like.
And besides that, bad map design are a huge con which can break an SRPG's neck in my eyes. Not that I hate Echoes (quite the contrary, I like it a lot), but people praising it to no end while shitting on Fates makes me always raise an eyebrow.

My problem is that I see some people say that IntSys should adopt as much as possible from Echoes while they should ignore Fates because it's the devil of the franchise, despite Fates' kicking Echoes ass hard in a lot of important aspects regarding SRPGs (specially Conquest).
Best case scenario would obviously be taking the best aspects of both worlds. Let's see what IntSys will do.

Last edited:

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
disagree, the general strategic gameplay is barebones, the RNG is badly balanced to the point where IntSys had to add that dumb Turnwheel thing

That's not why they added it at all. You might as well make the silly assumption that they added casual mode to awakening and fates because of the exact same argument you made there, that it only exists because "the RNG is badly balanced", which isn't true at all for echoes nor the other 3ds games.

The turnwheel is there for the exact same reasons those modes are, because it builds on the assistance features in the previous game, to give you an easier alternative to having to restart an entire map if you make a mistake.

They said as much in an interview:

Kusakihara: We thought Mila's Turnwheel would add a fun new dimension to the strategy aspect. In Fates, there was Phoenix Mode, where you could proceed without any worry. However, that meant when someone made a blunder, they would not have time to reflect on how to improve upon that mistake. Using Mila's Turnwheel, you can adjust your tactics to find a solution for a situation through trial and error, allowing you to enjoy strategy in a way not possible before.

https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2017...-nintendo-dream-interview-july-2017-complete/

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019
I posted this elsewhere and was entirely ignored, but since we are discussing what we may like to see from 3H, I figure I can post it here and perhaps we can discuss agreements and disagreements with civility.

If FE3H were an amalgamation of previous titles, I would want it to resemble something like:

Story strength and OST of PoR.
Voice acting of SoV.
Dark tone of 7.
Marriage and child system of 4.
Difficulty of 5 and Conquest.
Map design of RD.

We'll throw in Murdock from 6, too.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I love fire emblem 4 but I wouldn't add kids to every title. I think they're a thing you add once in a while.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not why they added it at all. You might as well make the silly assumption that they added casual mode to awakening and fates because of the exact same argument you made there, that it only exists because "the RNG is badly balanced", which isn't true at all for echoes nor the other 3ds games.

Yeah, it may not be officially added because of that, but it sure feels like some sort of safety net for Witches randomly ganging up on your shielded unit or Echoes' generally weird RNG. At least I see a lot of people praising Milas Turnwheel because it counters these frustrating aspects.

I posted this elsewhere and was entirely ignored, but since we are discussing what we may like to see from 3H, I figure I can post it here and perhaps we can discuss agreements and disagreements with civility.

If FE3H were an amalgamation of previous titles, I would want it to resemble something like:

Story strength and OST of PoR.
Voice acting of SoV.
Dark tone of 7.
Marriage and child system of 4.
Difficulty of 5 and Conquest.
Map design of RD.

We'll throw in Murdock from 6, too.

I have nothing against marriage, but I sure hope they won't add children, unless they do a timeskip akin to Genealogy. Also, I think Genealogy has a darker tone than 7.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said in the other thread:
Presentation and QoL from Awakening
Story like PoR
Multiple PoV like RD

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Kaga's interview from 1996 was translated and it's pretty substantial

I don't think even stan the guy but it's immediately obvious how much passion and creativity he had that the current FE team distinctly lacks

WYpb1e6.png

Ughugh I miss this level of effort when it comes to worldbuilding

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
Children for me completely depends on the plot of the game. It worked in 4 for obvious reasons, it was a multi-generation large scale war. It worked in Awakening because the game was all about multiple timelines and preventing a catastrophic future. Fates... it was just shoved in there and it made no sense at all. They shoved the children into a black hole with Matthew McConaughey and they came out the next mission as fully grown adults.

If the story takes place over a few years, it makes no sense to have children unless there's a plot point like Awakening where it's at least relevant. I'd much rather they get rid of all the forced support conversations between children and make better (and more) support conversations for the actual main characters of the game. They could be creative with it and make an epilogue/online/etc. mode with children. It's tough because they're definitely well-liked by a big part of the fanbase but I'd like them to be separated from the main story if they're added.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think even stan the guy but it's immediately obvious how much passion and creativity he had that the current FE team distinctly lacks

WYpb1e6.png

This is a great great read, but at the same I kinda understand Narihiros perspective on the game as well.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

WYpb1e6.png

I think I understand your point but having names tied to mythologies isnt exclusive of the kaga era

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Echoes was a gigantic step up in writing and presentation, especially the character banter.

3DS gives you a little something of everything if you take all the games together.

Awakening gave the series new life. Fates gave it great maps and fun new unit combinations and Echoes turned a forgotten game into an instant classic by upping the presentation to the max. Yes the maps are primitive, there's still a bunch of fun gimmicks to worry about like witches.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Boy those Three Houses details were sure... something. They're taking everything I don't want in Fire Emblem and putting it in Fire Emblem. :\

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Three Houses segment left me bewildered more than anything (and obviously the release date being just in time for my birthday is disappointing). Didn't expect the school angle to be so... that.

And three paths? I don't know whether that's good for replayability, or bad for other reasons. There's also even less indication of what the greater conflict will be now.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
So reclassing is in huh. That always seems to break the games lol, I kinda wish they didn't include it. I know I can try to ignore it... but I probably won't. School stuff seems annoying too. The game looks ugly though, didn't expect it to look this rough. Not sure if it's the new art style that makes it look "cheap," but disappointing graphics for a console FE.

Still going to buy it day 1, just looks a bit rough.

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
Wow, that was a lot. Didn't really focus on the story much and was more on what (I'd hope) to be a secondary aspect of the game with the school. It looked interesting but very little about the gameplay. I think a Three Houses Direct later in the spring/summer is likely because of this.

The game looked a little better visually and some of the cutscenes looked really good. Would have really liked to see more gameplay but... that was a lot. I don't really know what to think.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Really afraid the school stuff is going to be a core aspect of the game since they spent almost the whole segment focusing on it.

Cold Steel is what I thought of too, and I was really disappointed with Trails going that route as well.

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
Just watched the section over again and saw a few things...

There's an "Auto Tutor" mode. It's very possible the castle is the inter-mission hub, a la PoR/Awakening/Fates. It seems to be like Fates, but there's much more to do, more interaction, more customization of your units, etc. The tutoring might work like bonus EXP and can give extra weapon stats. There's at least an auto option so it seems like it might be more in-between missions and optional. Kind of like in Birthright/Awakening where you can grind if you want, but can skip that entirely.

You pick your House. If they wait to tell people that there are 3 different games, each with a different path, there will be a riot. I feel like that HAD to have been announced now. If all of the delays have helped make a good storyline for each house and enhance the characters, that's great. It's also very possible the house you pick might have very small story implications, just the units you use. Or, maybe war breaks out and the side you choose fights against the others. Who knows.

We've seen the villains and the Church depicted as evil several times, but in this trailer the Church is still good. They haven't explained the story AT ALL so I think all we just saw was the prologue/tutorial.

Byleth is an avatar, but might not be customizable. I really doubt that, as the cutscenes look to be more in-engine like Xenoblade so it's possible he/she could be customized and appear as such in the cutscenes. They didn't show Corrin/Robin's face in cutscenes to make it easier in the 3DS, but I imagine they'll be customizable.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like "What if everyone was a trainee?"
Also, since it looks like Byleth can predict the futre, maybe a Mila's Turnwheel mechanic will be there?

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
On one hand a school setting is overused and tropey as hell, on the other hand I like that you play as the instructor and justifies why you have so much control over the growth and development of the units. Also, the character designs are generally fine, but man the female avatar design is hot garbage compared to the male. Women wear pants too Japan.

I like what I see so far.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why FE fans are talking shit about Cold Steel when it does almost everything FE does (outside of gameplay) but far better

3H wishes it was like Cold Steel

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Staying static is the one thing I think Fire Emblem should avoid, so I'm aboard in concept.
Happy to hear
Usually i'd just walk away, difference of opinion and all that, but I actually think this might be the first instance of a person's opinion being objectively wrong.
Then explain why they are light and day without trying to sound like a smart guy
I don't know why FE fans are talking shit about Cold Steel when it does almost everything FE does (outside of gameplay) but far better

3H wishes it was like Cold Steel
Didn't know 3H was already out

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Happy to hear

Then explain why they are light and day without trying to sound like a smart guy

There is significantly more thought put into the character names, rather than their names being straight up lifted from mythology and serving as basic references at best (like Fjorm = One of eleven rivers in Élivágar)

There

Happy to hear

Didn't know 3H was already out

I wanted to re-edit my post and say that "if 3H is like CS it'll be better off" but you sniped me.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
There is significantly more thought put into the character names, rather than their names being straight up lifted from mythology and serving as basic references at best (like Fjorm = One of eleven rivers in Élivágar)

There
I disagree because we don't know how the directors thought about the names. Sure the end result might be not what you like but unless if we get Maeda talking "Oh I used Fjorm to sound cool" it seems farfetched to say they didn't put a lot of thought in it.
I wanted to re-edit my post and say that "if 3H is like CS it'll be better off" but you sniped me.
At least you recognized that it needed a change

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Byleth is an avatar, but might not be customizable. I really doubt that, as the cutscenes look to be more in-engine like Xenoblade so it's possible he/she could be customized and appear as such in the cutscenes. They didn't show Corrin/Robin's face in cutscenes to make it easier in the 3DS, but I imagine they'll be customizable.

I'll be surprised if a Fire Emblem avatar is less customizable than friggin' Miriam from Bloodstained.

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
Also can we please get female Byleth an actual shirt and pair of tights? It's like corrin's thigh window... just why? If you took away her coat she'd look like a stripper.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Gonna put together my thoughts into a video but all I can say is that the Three Doors Down info dump made me go from cautiously optimistic to wary of this particular entry in general. And I don't like feeling that way about one of my favorite franchises.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think we need a demo, it might be to late to give IS feedback but when a game changes too much I think feedback is needed to make the chances of it working improve.