• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
I really digged what they showed, I know many people here will hate the Hogwarts school setting but I am all for IS shaking up the formula. Also the artstyle is starting to grow on me

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Some people really want to play gba games forever I guess

There's a gamecube/gba worship in general on this board that's just not limited to Fire Emblem.

Advance Wars and the utter worship of smash brothers melee (to be fair I understand this one more)

But yeah, you know i've complained about GBA/gcube worship since forever.

I really digged what they showed, I know many people here will hate the Hogwarts school setting but I am all for IS shaking up the formula. Also the artstyle is starting to grow on me

I like the art, but wow fem Byleth just doesn't work. I do like the design of the Brigand boss though.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mean, that's why we've seen dozens of GBA hack games like The Last Promise...

Honestly, I just want a great game that holds up with repeated playthroughs. While I initially loved Awakening, it only gets worse with each new campaign (although I still do like it overall) whereas i've had no desire to pick up any of Fates despite it being an overall stronger set of games sans Revelations.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't get the mindset of people who complain about a stale formula or whatever for games/series they love, I like Fire Emblem because of how good the mechanics are and I don't want that fucked around with that much or at least if you're gonna try and do something new do it like 4/5

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
There's a gamecube/gba worship in general on this board that's just not limited to Fire Emblem.

Advance Wars and the utter worship of smash brothers melee (to be fair I understand this one more)

I like the art, but wow fem Byleth just doesn't work. I do like the design of the Brigand boss though.

I don't think it's this board (rather, most everywhere), and it's not exclusive to GBA/GC — look at the uncritical worship SNES JRPGs such as Chrono Trigger and FFVI get.

Fire Emblem's pre-GBA entries obviously don't receive such widespread worship by English audiences because they weren't localized and thus have no mindshare/nostalgia factor.

Ultimately what "GBA/GC" FE fans want is just a unification of decent story/characters/gameplay/map design, something that hasn't been completely achieved by subsequent localized entries (which isn't to say that those prior games were remotely flawless, mind).

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
The Snes rpgs don't get as much acclaim now as us oldies have faded out.

Resetera does skew on the older side but more the 20-30 range and not the 15-25 range that other forms of social media do.

I honestly don't get the mindset of people who complain about a stale formula or whatever for games/series they love, I like Fire Emblem because of how good the mechanics are and I don't want that fucked around with that much or at least if you're gonna try and do something new do it like 4/5

I respect ambition over iterative sequels. I might enjoy the gba games alot more than PoR, but I respect PoR and especially Radiant Dawn a ton more.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I don't have uncritical nostalgia for pre-Awakening Fire Emblem. Path of Radiance was disappointingly easy when I last replayed it and Radiant Dawn was wildly uneven map design and getting rid of supports was such a shitty thing. I deeply love FE6 but same-turn reinforcements are still the biggest bullshit, not all of Thracia's mechanics work very well like movement stars, and FE4 can be a slog. I also enjoyed Shadow Dragon a lot even if the barebones characterization and reclassing aren't for me.

I don't have opposition to any mechanical changes but I have no interest or desire in radical shakeups and it's frustrating that each new game seems to have a lot of hangups I have a hard time with.

The Snes rpgs don't get as much acclaim now as us oldies have faded out.
I will defend Thracia to the death and I think Genealogy is one of the most fascinating games to play despite the sloggy parts but I'm also a New Oldy and not the kind that played the SNES games before 7 came out.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I don't have uncritical nostalgia for pre-Awakening Fire Emblem. Path of Radiance was disappointingly easy when I last replayed it and Radiant Dawn was wildly uneven map design and getting rid of supports was such a shitty thing. I deeply love FE6 but same-turn reinforcements are still the biggest bullshit, not all of Thracia's mechanics work very well like movement stars, and FE4 can be a slog. I also enjoyed Shadow Dragon a lot even if the barebones characterization and reclassing aren't for me.

I don't have opposition to any mechanical changes but I have no interest or desire in radical shakeups and it's frustrating that each new game seems to have a lot of hangups I have a hard time with.

I will defend Thracia to the death and I think Genealogy is one of the most fascinating games to play despite the sloggy parts but I'm also a New Oldy and not the kind that played the SNES games before 7 came out.

I'm specifically referring to Chrono Trigger and FF6 that are mentioned before for the well regarded snes games.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The main concern I have with House: Season Three is that the extent to which the game's open-endedness goes for classes and the overall campaign. Being perfectly frank, the weakest aspect of Fire Emblem has been its flaccid attempts to be more open-ended i.e. the secondary weapons in Path of Radiance being a choice between sense and nonsense (Soren the knife-wielder), the dual classes in Sacred Stones being largely pointless given how little differentiation there actually was for most classes outside of the rogue and of course the punching bag that is Radiant Dawn's supports. It says something when the best attempt at "customize your unit" comes from the least structured entry in the series.

Jan 7, 2018
Nothing shown about this game looked exciting to me tbqh.
Like it's totally okay to try to change the series a bit. The thing is, nothing about three houses shown so far is reminiscent of old fire emblem. Actually, not even old fire emblem. Fire Emblem, period. Like, compare today's trailer with Awakening's, Fates's and Echoes's... All those games had better reveal trailers, showcasing the regular Fire Emblem gameplay.
Maybe IS isn't showing maps because they feel like they still have to improve the graphics, but it's hard to feel excited when there's nothing of the Fire Emblem I love in it. I sometimes fear Conquest will be the last showing of what I love about Fire Emblem.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Like it's totally okay to try to change the series a bit. The thing is, nothing about three houses shown so far is reminiscent of old fire emblem. Actually, not even old fire emblem. Fire Emblem, period. Like, compare today's trailer with Awakening's, Fates's and Echoes's... All those games had better reveal trailers, showcasing the regular Fire Emblem gameplay.
Maybe IS isn't showing maps because they feel like they still have to improve the graphics, but it's hard to feel excited when there's nothing of the Fire Emblem I love in it. I sometimes fear Conquest will be the last showing of what I love about Fire Emblem.

While I think this is a reasonable concern, I"m not too worried. I have a feeling they have Maeda on this game and his track record is very solid for the most part.

The main concern I have with House: Season Three is that the extent to which the game's open-endedness goes for classes and the overall campaign. Being perfectly frank, the weakest aspect of Fire Emblem has been its flaccid attempts to be more open-ended i.e. the secondary weapons in Path of Radiance being a choice between sense and nonsense (Soren the knife-wielder), the dual classes in Sacred Stones being largely pointless given how little differentiation there actually was for most classes outside of the rogue and of course the punching bag that is Radiant Dawn's supports. It says something when the best attempt at "customize your unit" comes from the least structured entry in the series.

There is a more than a minute chance that this game could be a disaster, to be honest. But I think staying with the status quo is the worst thing they could do. I know this contradicts with what I posted with Grannvale, but I do think its riskier, but I think if they have the right people and tone down Maeda's inclinations it could work.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

37662.jpg

I'm sorry, I had to.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
TBH the game has the potential to be a disater like Drax said, but I think it also has the potential to be the best Fire Emblem if they do things right. The new class system has a lot of potential but can also end up terrible
In the end it is all about execution so I will mantain my mind open until I get my hands in the finished game
I am not complaining about stale formulas, I am complaining about people that keep asking for the game to keep the same. The devs aren't forced to keep making the same thing over and over again.
The core gameplay stilll seems the same, nothing so far makes me say that it doesn't play like a Fir Emblem game

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
How can you say the GBA/GC games are worshiped on here when Awakening won the best Fire Emblem game poll on Era. Are you also ignoring the Heroes community thread which has thousands of more posts than even the general community thread lol

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There is a more than a minute chance that this game could be a disaster, to be honest. But I think staying with the status quo is the worst thing they could do. I know this contradicts with what I posted with Grannvale, but I do think its riskier, but I think if they have the right people and tone down Maeda's inclinations it could work.
I'm not in disagreement over that sentiment; the overall scenario is refreshing but how that scenario is manifesting mechnically has me worried that the game is going to repeat the same mistakes that other games in the series have when it comes to making the game boast more customization i.e. what's to prevent me from just mindlessly making everyone a flier and blazing through a map rather than dealing with the tools that are at my disposal? Maybe they have a limit as to how many units of a certain class, skill, etc. you can have but based on what they've shown, there doesn't seem to be any.

Also, minor complaint: Making the avatar yet again super special by being the only person who can hear not!Tiki (and also possess some sort of time-based abilities, hence him blocking an attack that seemingly hit them) is just...no.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How can you say the GBA/GC games are worshiped on here when Awakening won the best Fire Emblem game poll on Era. Are you also ignoring the Heroes community thread which has thousands of more posts than even the general community thread lol
Wait, there was a best FE poll in Era?
Also, minor complaint: Making the avatar yet again super special by being the only person who can hear not!Tiki (and also possess some sort of time-based abilities, hence him blocking an attack that seemingly hit them) is just...no.
Funny enough the avatar is the thing I disliked the most, I wanted a change from Awakening/Fates but for me it seems they played too safe by making the avatar playable again.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Playable avatar is a must imho, and I know i'm conflict with pretty much everybody here except for PK. Its just one of two ways to handle the gender diversity of the Fire Emblem fanbase now. The other is having two separate but equal protaganists (the alm/celica or eirika/ephraim situation) but I don't think they handled those well either. Mind you I think female Byleth's design is pretty awful.

Its a micaiah situation, where people think micaiah is hated because her critics are so vocal but people actually do kinda like her and don't want to be shout down about how bad micaiah is.

Look at how the threads are about how I hate how Fire emblem became anime trash.

Last edited:

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
It was the essential jrpg list. Awakening ranked as the highest Fire Emblem on that list.

Doesn't matter what the vocal Era thinks lol, Heroes is the most profitable FE game and Three Houses is going to end up as the best selling FE game. FE becoming more "anime" was expected... I'm just glad I saw no pair up mechanic or Ninjas in the trailer. I was just getting tired of the 3DS game mechanics.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
At least I don't see them shoehorning child units in this entry so that's already a positive. Though after Fates I probably shouldn't speak too soon, IntSys finds a way.

I'm cautiously optimistic tbh, after the dumpster fire that was Fates' narrative I'm open to them trying out different things to maybe find their groove again. Mechanically speaking it looks like it's trying a bunch of new things that could be pretty fun if well implemented. Narratively it could take advantage of its setting to tell a more character driven story, while also seemingly having more worldbuilding than Fateswakening (which granted isn't a high bar). Could it devolve into tropey pandering bullshit? Yes, but for now I'm giving 3H a vote of confidence.

Oct 25, 2017
I am not complaining about stale formulas, I am complaining about people that keep asking for the game to keep the same. The devs aren't forced to keep making the same thing over and over again.
they aren't forced to but I also don't have to like it and don't understand why others do
Playable avatar is a must imho, and I know i'm conflict with pretty much everybody here except for PK. Its just one of two ways to handle the gender diversity of the Fire Emblem fanbase now. The other is having two separate but equal protaganists (the alm/celica or eirika/ephraim situation) but I don't think they handled those well either.
the_customization_hater has logged on

just have more female lords, it's great that more women like Fire Emblem now(? felt like online at least it has always been pretty balanced but I'll take your word for it) and it's great if IS wants to not alienate them by making more blue-haired boys the main character but just have defined characters please. all of the self-inserts have been terrible and they're bad for the game balance because IS keeps making them really strong

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Playable avatar is a must imho, and I know i'm conflict with pretty much everybody here except for PK. Its just one of two ways to handle the gender diversity of the Fire Emblem fanbase now. The other is having two separate but equal protaganists (the alm/celica or eirika/ephraim situation) but I don't think they handled those well either. Mind you I think female Byleth's design is pretty awful.
I would just like if the avatar got some rest for a game or 2

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
and Three Houses is going to end up as the best selling FE game
I mean I hope it does that well, but I feel like Studio Khara animating the cutscenes on 3s tv-anime-style isn't very marketable. So many people notice the really low framerate and a lot think it's the Switch hardware even though it is not because this is how it is intended..

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I hope it does that well, but I feel like Studio Khara animating the cutscenes on 3s tv-anime-style isn't very marketable. So many people notice the really low framerate and a lot think it's the Switch hardware even though it is not because this is how it is intended..
The usual public don't care much about framerate as Era would leave you to believe. If Xenoblade 2 easily oustold all other xeno games I think 3 Houses shouldn't have a problem doing the same.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to be team Dimitri and I am going to be very alone on that team.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Pokemon is getting this with it's DS installments.

All of this talk over Gen 5 being this underrated classic that deserves so much attention and that it's the secret best games in the series. Not that I disagree that Gen 5 is bad but I think it's well past being considered underrated and deserving of more love.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna decide after I interact with them in-game and get to know their personalities. If we're going by design alone then I'm leaning Edelgard, and not because of the waifu factor, I'm just not a big fan of how the other 2 look. Plus her color is red, and that's always a good thing.

Last edited:

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
From the trailers all three lords look buddy buddy, but if we have to choose a side like Conquest than Golden Deers it is. Even though it has the worst 'mascot.'

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Robin and especially Corrin are poor avatars. They're just customizable main characters. Which I'm cool with since they're both good characters. Byleth doesn't seem to be talking or have much of a personality yet, even though they're clearly the focus, so I'm a bit concerned on how they're going to handle the avatar stuff this time.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to be team Dimitri and I am going to be very alone on that team.

I'm leaning that way too tbh, but I'm torn because all three seem good so far. Dimitri gets points for being from the snowy kingdom, and for clocking the student beside him in the background anime scene when the narrator was talking about the Houses.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea why people are being so negative. Everything they've shown so far suggests they've taken the right lessons from their mistakes with Fates.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea why people are being so negative. Everything they've shown so far suggests they've taken the right lessons from their mistakes with Fates.
I think people are just too afraid of changes. For example people are criticizing the school setting when the past plots had the "prince must save his kingdom" setting almost exclusively and both settings are very anime

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think people are just too afraid of changes. For example people are criticizing the school setting when the past plots had the "prince must save his kingdom" setting almost exclusively and both settings are very anime
It just bothers me because none of these 'concerns' are based on anything that's been said about or shown from the game.

And yes the series has always been 'anime', calling it 'anime' is meaningless because anime is a broad medium with lots of amazing works and also lots of terrible ones.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
I just want the avatar to not be central to the story for once. I want someone like Mark from FE7 where you're just along for the ride and not like the reincarnation of the fell dragon or something.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want the avatar to not be central to the story for once. I want someone like Mark from FE7 where you're just along for the ride and not like the reincarnation of the fell dragon or something.
That's not gonna happen. Many people didn't like the implementation of Mark in the first place because it felt pointless. Something like the FE12 avatar would be more likely, but even that avatar wasn't well received.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
School settings are uninteresting across the board, and tired out on top of that. Feels like every RPG developer feels obligated to force anime school into their games now.

I didn't like it in Valkyria Chronicles 2 after enjoying the first game. I didn't like it in Trails of Cold Steel after enjoying the Sky arc. It's hard to imagine IntSys is going to manage some special implementation that's going to be way better.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
School settings are uninteresting across the board, and tired out on top of that. Feels like every RPG developer feels obligated to force anime school into their games now.

I didn't like it in Valkyria Chronicles 2 after enjoying the first game. I didn't like it in Trails of Cold Steel after enjoying the Sky arc. It's hard to imagine IntSys is going to manage some special implementation that's going to be way better.
The mechanics in Three Houses that are informed by the military school setting seem interesting enough to justify it.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The "only the avatar can see not!Tiki and also has some sort of time-based abilities" thing would suggest otherwise. In the broadest of strokes, the role for Byleth is a great base from which to have an avatar character i.e. as a supporting character for the leads rather than the main focus but what we've seen thus far isn't exactly distant from the same handling we saw in Awakening and Fates.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The "only the avatar can see not!Tiki and also has some sort of time-based abilities" would suggest otherwise. In the broadest of strokes, the role for Byleth is a great base from which to have an avatar character but what we've seen thus far isn't exactly distant from the same handling we saw in Awakening and Fates.
It's way to early to say one way or the other. The time-based ability seems like a justification for a Mila's Turnwheel mechanic, which was a nice QoL addition in Echoes.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
I can't really fault IS for trying the school setting, it has never been done before in FE so it doesn't matter if you have seen it elsewhere (personally I have only experienced it in Persona)

I am just hoping Byleth is a decent character, I don't think I heard him say a word the whole trailer, so hopefully they don't take that trait from Persona

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I doubt they're going back to the FE7 approach to the avatar, sadly. Expect them to talk. A lot.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with Byleth so far (well, except F!Byleth's design, which isn't as sharp as M!Byleth).

That time travel scene seemed like another in-universe explanation for a Mila's Turnwheel mechanic. Mila's Turnwheel also had in-universe justification, but didn't end up being terribly story relevant.

Byleth doesn't seem to be customizable beyond gender (since they're shown in the anime scenes), so while they're technically an avatar, it's more for player comfortability than a self-insert. They seem to be an interesting mix of silent Mark and a lord — having a heritage similar to Ike's, possessing the whip-sword used by the general and seiros/goddess in the first trailer, but also displaying zero lines or voice (and so avoiding the trap of being a frustrating Corrin).

I wasn't sure what to think of this new footage at first, and the school setting definitely has room to go awry, but I'm warming up to the trailer substantially the more I dissect and ruminate. The character building in particular looks highly dynamic and intriguing, and I'm glad to see Combat Arts returning — durability could be a smart resource for them, in place of HP.

Oh, and it feels so good to finally have another Fire Emblem that prioritizes world-building so heavily.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017

The fandom here really likes to wallow in their own misery.

I'm also one to look at why a particular part of the game is done weirdly ; speculating on what public information they gave us. Facetouching being a legacy of trying to have live2d supports, or echoes gameplay being negatively impacted by the amount of Dev time they had. Maybe it's the bargaining stage for me, iunno.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I'm open to new things for Fire Emblem.

Sure, some of it is change for the sake of change, but if it ends up being fun then it's whatever.
It's going to change the way I play off the bat because I'm the guy who likes playing characters with their canon classes(no reclassing), and I avoid pair-ups because I've always found it to be too strong.

It's too early to form a clear opinion for me as I just haven't seen enough. My tastes are strange anyways (I actually thought the face touching was cute).

The only thing I know for certain just like in every RPG is that I'll dislike the avatar unit, but I've made my peace with it. It's here to stay.
After my first run, I already know that I'm going to try to make everyone a pegasus knight, and watch how that turns out.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

They spent the vast majority of the extended trailer on the fire emblem school of witchcraft and stabbery and about ten seconds showing some generic echoes looking barren map, which was absolutely a low point in the series in terms of design.

Sorry that I'm more interested in the strategy part of the strategy game and not what the trailer framed as boring grinding nonsense around it, I guess.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It's hard to agree with your first paragraph after Persona 5 was so well received. Yes, i'm aware people criticize it more now that the "honeymoon" period is over, but people do like the school settings as much as you might hate it.

You'd think if people were tired of it that much, the recent trailer wouldn't have more than 11k likes and less than 500 dislikes (at the time of this post).

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
They spent the vast majority of the extended trailer on the fire emblem school of witchcraft and stabbery and about ten seconds showing some generic echoes looking barren map, which was absolutely a low point in the series in terms of design.

Sorry that I'm more interested in the strategy part of the strategy game and not what the trailer framed as boring grinding nonsense around it, I guess.

We've seen part of the gameplay both in the first trailer and here. It's almost exactly the same as every Fire Emblem game before. It's on a grid, you chose a unit, you move to a different space, you chose a enemy unit to attack, you have different weapon types, you have a uses number for weapons, you have skills (both passive skills like the Wrath we saw in the first trailer and what seems to be weapon skill like Echoes from this one). There would be absolutely no point show this stuff for 5 minutes on a first "in depth" look at the game. Instead they focused on the what is actually new in this game which is the school stuff. Which, you know, also is part of "strategy" since you essentially have to choose how your units are going to be like. I would rather see what's different about the game to see the things we know it's going to be there already.
Anyway, I'm sure the next trailer is going to focus on the battalion part, so y'all will get what you want.