• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea why people are being so negative. Everything they've shown so far suggests they've taken the right lessons from their mistakes with Fates.
I mean, despite being personally on board with the game, it's not hard to see why such a departure from what is usually expected from the series in terms of narrative setting and game structure would worry a lot of people, specifically when you consider:

-A vocal portion of fanbase has been dissatisfied with the series increasingly leaning on otaku pandering and played out anime tropes, and school settings are the grandaddy of all overused anime tropes right now (alongside isekai), so it's not an unfounded fear to assume the franchise will lean even harder on those aspects that some fans already currently dislike.
-IntSys hasn't exactly proven themselves narratively as of late, a remake of a 20 something year old game notwithstanding. They've yet to earn that trust back with an original title and the school setting only amplifies worries that the main narrative is going to be some farcical conflict secondary to the school hijinks and relationships, on top of being a setting that lends itself to episodic/slice-of-life format of storytelling, which was something Fates was criticized for.
-A lot of people are fond of FE's simplicity, so the further customizability and deeper RPG elements that have been seeping into the franchise as of late won't necessarily be a hit with everyone. There's also the worries that the focus on rpg systems and grinding means we'll get subpar map designs and balance again.
-General worries as to what this means for the future of the franchise. Are traditionally structured, politically driven entries going to be sidelined for this new direction, or is this just a gaiden type of deal?

It's going to be a very divisive entry, at least until it releases, and there are a bunch of reasons as to why that is. Some people, myself included, are glad to see FE reinventing itself and are optimistically curious to see how all those changes play out, but others just wanted a polished iterative sequel with a good cast, map design and story with nice production values in HD, and that's understandable.

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Funny how the FE fanbase is the complete opposite from the Pokemon fanbase. Pokemon fans would love if the series was bold enough to make such changes

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Funny how the FE fanbase is the complete opposite from the Pokemon fanbase. Pokemon fans would love if the series was bold enough to make such changes

If Pokémon spent the duration of an entire extended trailer making the actual gameplay part look like an afterthought, they'd react negatively too.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

That's uh... not very true. An enormous amount of Pokemon fans want Pokemon to keep following the exact same formula it always has, and are derided for suggesting the series should evolve in a less incremental manner.

There's zero reason to be worried about Three Houses' gameplay, though. Zero. IS almost always knocks it out of the park, and Echoes' maps were the way they were because of a lack of development resources/time.

I think the actual maps will look better in action, too. The combat transitions in the first trailer were beautifully smooth, and all the regular (non-Combat Art) attack/spell animations we've seen have been among the snappiest in the entire series.

The school mechanics and trappings are really a wait-and-see, but could well be fine (except for the inevitable student-teacher relationships, lol). Mechanically, all I worry about there is the potential tedium around such micromanagement. Lesson plans? Tutoring? Managing each unit's growth plans? Too much micromanagement might turn people / newcomers away, and an unbalanced ratio of school:battlefields might upset existing fans.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there was a lot of backlash to the Sun and Moon change up.

I'd say it was half and half. This is the same split I'm seeing here.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'm curious about: how will recruitment — if it exists at all (?!) — work within the trappings of the school? Surely we're not going to recruit hardened soldiers and then... have them join our class, begging for tutelage. Hah.

Relatedly, "Noble" seems to be the "Villager" class of this game, which raises an eyebrow from me, and might decrease the likelihood we ever recruit non-nobles. Which would be an unfortunate restriction in the type of stories able to be told.

The school mechanics seem too deep to drop partway through the game, making these questions all the more pertinent. It also makes me really curious how the greater story might unfold, if we lose ever access to the monastery (and how that will affect schooling mechanics), etc.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I get some of the reaction. I understand why school settings are a turn off to some people, even if I do think it can be done really well and there's actually few examples of it being done poorly. I get that people have an idea of what FE is and get frustrated when it's not that. With the trailers focusing less on the gameplay, almost everything they're showing feels extremely unlike anything we've seen in the past, from the more Victorian trappings, the school setting, the silent protagonist, etc.

But honestly, they've gotta keep moving forward and trying whatever they can. I know people think this series has "blown up", but it's still somewhat of a c-tier franchise, regardless of how well the mobile game is doing. As successful as Fates was for the series, I still get the feeling that it's constantly in danger of becoming irrelevant again. Trying out major shifts has only benefited them with Fates and Awakening, so it makes sense that they'd keep trying to redefine what this series is for modern audiences.

I hate that people fall back on just pointing out tropes they don't like. I'm guilty of it too, but people need to be better at getting to the crux of the issue. A school setting is irrelevant - what people are really worried about is that the game will somehow be less serious - a silly point given that putting a game in a military academy doesn't somehow mean it's going to be all frivolous. Even funnier considering that there seems to be more lore, geography, and political structure than the past few FE games. Again, it's about execution.

Me, I'm of two minds. I don't mind a school setting, particularly because you're a Professor which is kind of an interesting change of pace from being a Prince or Lord. Structurally same, but politically different. You have educational authority over the students, but they politically out-class you. That's kind of an interesting dynamic. I also tend to enjoy base mechanics, and fleshing out the base will hopefully allow for more interpersonal discussion between units beyond just supports.

On the other hand, the idea of sending out on missions from a central base is, for some weird reason, less appealing to me than a forward moving campaign like previous games. There's nothing to say that this can't happen later on, but so many elements of unit-building are tied to the school that I don't see it happening. But this is a really small, personal nitpick that could end up being nothing big in the context of the game. I'm also on the fence about "choosing a house". I'm not the kind of person to love multiple endings or feeling like I'm locked out of certain characters for a portion of the game. We know almost nothing about this system, though, so I'm reserving judgement.

On the art style, I'm just kinda lukewarm. I'm fine with uniforms, but they do make everyone a little similar. Thankfully outfits seem to change when you class up, so it seems like a non-issue. Other than that, the new character designer's art is, just fine. It seems more grounded than some of the wackier stuff we've seen previously, but also lacks some of the pizzazz. This game's gonna be bishounen city though, haha.

Overall, I don't think we actually know enough to be making the kind of sweeping arguments I'm seeing here and elsewhere in the FE fandom.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally on board with everything they have shown so far. I think my issue is I feel like it's the old FE fans that have been complaining since Awakening making the most noise about not liking this game, and let's be real they were never going to give this game a chance unless it was old FE, and I feel it's best to ignore them because old FE was on its deathbed. The direction FE has taken has made the games more popular, made me like the series again and rescued the franchise, going back to the old way is asking to ruin that momentum.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I also find "choosing a house" weird. I guess it's treating it like elementary school classes where you have one teacher that teaches one class everything. Even in the other school rpgs, you have a homeroom teacher, but all teachers have a specific subject that they teach to all classes.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Wait we're talking about the same Pokemon fanbase that loves to shit on people for suggesting the series should undergo a radical shift right.
well i am just saying that based on how much I hear people saying that gen 8 needs to be Botw-like, that and the dislike for gen 1 pandering in general

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally on board with everything they have shown so far. I think my issue is I feel like it's the old FE fans that have been complaining since Awakening making the most noise about not liking this game, and let's be real they were never going to give this game a chance unless it was old FE, and I feel it's best to ignore them because old FE was on its deathbed. The direction FE has taken has made the games more popular, made me like the series again and rescued the franchise, going back to the old way is asking to ruin that momentum.

Kinda 50/50. Some the "old" FE fans who weren't as up on Fates and Awakening (read: me) seem to be up on this because it doesn't look like those, haha. It also has, like, the names of towns! And Geography!

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think old style FE could work if Kaga continued at IS, but without him I think the series is better trying a new style

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda 50/50. Some the "old" FE fans who weren't as up on Fates and Awakening (read: me) seem to be up on this because it doesn't look like those, haha. It also has, like, the names of towns! And Geography!
I'm willing to give it a chance because it is at least a different start than almost all other FE games which is: plucky group of kid/adults defend their home/kingdom from the evil empire that has been secretly controlled by a evil dragon/god.

Sure the Academy/school thing is a tired trope by anime standards but not FE standards.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'm curious about: how will recruitment — if it exists at all (?!) — work within the trappings of the school? Surely we're not going to recruit hardened soldiers and then... have them join our class, begging for tutelage. Hah.
You joke but I can easily see this being a thing given past precedences. "Sensei, you were so magnificent out there on the battlefield, dashing and strong! You're the best person I've ever met, please teach me everything!". At any case, it'll be either something like that or you'll get new students enrolling in your class from time to time. Transfer students if you will.
I think old style FE could work if Kaga continued at IS, but without him I think the series is better trying a new style
I don't think that would've been the case though, Kaga was very experimental in regards to gameplay systems and mechanics.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I also find "choosing a house" weird. I guess it's treating it like elementary school classes where you have one teacher that teaches one class everything. Even in the other school rpgs, you have a homeroom teacher, but all teachers have a specific subject that they teach to all classes.
It's more like Harry Potter. An easy way to instantly build interest in the different sets of characters.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to give it a chance because it is at least a different start than almost all other FE games which is: plucky group of kid/adults defend their home/kingdom from the evil empire that has been secretly controlled by a evil dragon/god.

Sure the Academy/school thing is a tired trope by anime standards but not FE standards.

Kinda where I'm at on it.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
TBH i like school setting because I also hate going to college like japanese people do.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
My only peeve so far is how every character seems to be wearing a similar uniform, so none of them really stand out.

I guess this would also extend to character classes depending on how much freedom and class availability you have for all units, they lose that uniqueness if you will.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's more like Harry Potter. An easy way to instantly build interest in the different sets of characters.
I was thinking that too, but even the head of house teachers in Harry Potter still had that one subject that they taught to all houses.

Who knows, they might have that in here as well but just didn't show it.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the official art for the students is them in some class' design. It would help to make them more distinct and also help people like me who don't like reclassing to make them their "canon class"

Last edited:

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017
Three Houses seems like it's taking a lot of inspiration from Valkyria Chronicles with the focus on building you barracks from a home base, but with Fire Emblem combat mechanics. It seems like a big departure in some ways, but the core in chapter combat seems intact. This is still a day one purchase for me, there's still a bunch of older FE games I have yet to play if I want the traditional unit management experience.

The default look for the avatar character is hideous though and the Professor premise seems contrived.

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017
well i am just saying that based on how much I hear people saying that gen 8 needs to be Botw-like, that and the dislike for gen 1 pandering in general
The people who hate gen 1 pandering correlate way more with new FE fans than old FE fans...

It's just that the dynamic is reversed and there are more gen 1 fans, which leads to some hilarious hypocrisy (looking at quite a few posters on this forum regarding Let's Go).

Anyway, hoping this turns out better than their uh, recent entries (yes, including Echoes which has plenty of problematic non-gameplay elements).

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
The game's gonna need a dedicated breakdown to shore up people's issues with it. We didn't get a lot of focus on the actual battles - I think when some people see more of that they'll be less freaked out about the differences. We also need to see a bit more of a central plot, how progression from battle to battle works etc. There's just too many snap judgements based on not enough information. But that's forums for you, I suppose.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
The game's gonna need a dedicated breakdown to shore up people's issues with it. We didn't get a lot of focus on the actual battles - I think when some people see more of that they'll be less freaked out about the differences. We also need to see a bit more of a central plot, how progression from battle to battle works etc. There's just too many snap judgements based on not enough information. But that's forums for you, I suppose.

I'm sure that when they do a video explaining the battalion aspects people are going to calm down.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It needs a demo, simple. It worked really well to promote awakening and I think it would work well here too

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
I did find it interesting that the thing most taken from Fates seems to be the more integrated base mechanics. It was interesting in Fates, and on a mechanical level not very intrusive if you didn't want to bother with it, but it led to some massive writing inconsistencies in both the story and supports. The school setting seems far more in-line with Three Houses's core, so hopefully we don't get big issues like that again.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
The only similarity between Pokemon fandom and FE fandom is that everyone else is equally tired of both arguing about new games.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
The more I look at the footage the more I realize Byleth will probably be mute, I know it seems premature but I would assume the so called protagonist would have a few voiced lines in any of the 2 trailers they have showed.

Mute protagonists are not my cup of tea (outside few exceptions like Link) but if that is what it takes to have an avatar who is not kinda dull (Robin) or a total imbecile (Corrin) I am willing to give this a chance.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Also, for people worried about the school outfits, I have to say: this looks like such a traditional FE outfit that you could have told me it was from another FE game and I would have believed you:

DzUZ_JWU0AA0Tmr.jpg

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As good as that looks, that seems to be the type of clothing that her Gryffindor-like group would wear rather than their typical garb.

Also, does anyone notice how the axe has a slight crack in it? I wonder if durability is back.

Anyway, put together a short video on my mild concerns about this game:

EDIT:
durability was confirmed last E3 lol
There's only so much I can remember about the limited information we got from its initial reveal.

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say
While the female byleth is bad I feel kinda forced that people are using that as example that all designs will be sexualized bs(i have seen peoplesaying that fates was better). We have seen most of the playable characters so far and no one is as bad as her and nothing so far seems as bad as fates did

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say
While the female byleth is bad I feel kinda forced that people are using that as example that all designs will be sexualized bs(i have seen peoplesaying that fates was better). We have seen most of the playable characters so far and no one is as bad as her and nothing so far seems as bad as fates did

I agree with that. I haven't actually seen anyone drawing that conclusion, but her design is... unfortunate.

Styling the female avatar to appeal to horny men is a profoundly stupid choice, considering the whole point of having a choice of avatar gender is to widen the game's appeal.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with that. I haven't actually seen anyone drawing that conclusion, but her design is... unfortunate.

Styling the female avatar to appeal to horny men is a profoundly stupid choice, considering the whole point of having a choice of avatar gender is to widen the game's appeal.
And strange too when the main female character, Edelgard, has a very good design so far, even in the brigand class she looks good and nothing like the female fighters in fates

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
And strange too when the main female character, Edelgard, has a very good design so far, even in the brigand class she looks good and nothing like the female fighters in fates

I was pleasantly surprised by Edelgard's brigand outfit, yeah.

Outside of F!Byleth's design, the most jarring thing to me so far is the modernity of the student ("Noble") uniforms, specifically the female versions — short skirts w/ thigh highs abound. Hopefully it isn't so bad when they've all reclassed/promoted beyond Noble.

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say

receipts.gif

I haven't seen anyone say that

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to see if FemByleth looks better in her 2D art than her 3D model. We also didn't see any cutscenes using her, so she might look better in motion.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly not just a sexualization thing with Byleth. It's also that Male Byleth gets serious looking armor while her's just looks kinda dumb and less serious. Just looking at the two, you know who you'd take more seriously. There's no real parity between the designs.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's why we've seen dozens of GBA hack games like The Last Promise...

Honestly, I just want a great game that holds up with repeated playthroughs. While I initially loved Awakening, it only gets worse with each new campaign (although I still do like it overall) whereas i've had no desire to pick up any of Fates despite it being an overall stronger set of games sans Revelations.
I heavily disagree.

I feel like Awakening and Fates get better with more playthroughs because of the emphasis of supports and getting different combinations of marriages. The GBA games have this, and it's neat, but nowhere near as extensive as Awakening and Fates.

Regardless, I'm glad that every FE game tries to do something different! Having something new doesn't erase the GBA games, and I'm glad Three Houses is trying to be weird and different :)

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
If you're talking about supports than the GBA games are more re-playable than the 3DS games. You can max out supports with every character if you want in the 3DS games (besides getting the S rank), in a single play through if you take your time. But in the GBA games you're limited. I prefer the 3DS structure more, but the new support system does not make it more re-playable. Or am I remembering this incorrectly?

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I heavily disagree.

I feel like Awakening and Fates get better with more playthroughs because of the emphasis of supports and getting different combinations of marriages. The GBA games have this, and it's neat, but nowhere near as extensive as Awakening and Fates.

Regardless, I'm glad that every FE game tries to do something different! Having something new doesn't erase the GBA games, and I'm glad Three Houses is trying to be weird and different :)
See, that's the reason why I don't find them anywhere near as replayable: The kids and figuring out who would be the best parent for the 2nd generation i.e. min-max growth for their specific classes and passing on classes is simply tedious, not to mention the many issues with the writing; I have a hard time seeing how the relationships would jump so quickly to marriage for many of the supports, particularly in Fates where "hey what if we had a kid" comes out of nowhere for certain couples. The system they use was fine when I first played Awakening but during repeated playthroughs, I rarely go out of my way to get any of the children because of how tedious it is to micro-manage the characters relationships. Whatever else can be said about the 00s era of Fire Emblem, at least the relationships felt organic throughout the entirety of their supports and the resulting payoff during the credits seemed believable that, say Ephraim and L'Arachel would eventually get married based on what we saw in said supports. Ijn retrospect, Awakening and Fates is this weird middleground where it isn't as well-constrcucted mechanically as it was in Seisen No Keifu nor were many of the relationships as satisfying to explore as the ones in the 00s games.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
See, that's the reason why I don't find them anywhere near as replayable: The kids and figuring out who would be the best parent for the 2nd generation i.e. min-max growth for their specific classes and passing on classes is simply tedious, not to mention the many issues with the writing; I have a hard time seeing how the relationships would jump so quickly to marriage for many of the supports, particularly in Fates where "hey what if we had a kid" comes out of nowhere for certain couples. The system they use was fine when I first played Awakening but during repeated playthroughs, I rarely go out of my way to get any of the children because of how tedious it is to micro-manage the characters relationships. Whatever else can be said about the 00s era of Fire Emblem, at least the relationships felt organic throughout the entirety of their supports and the resulting payoff during the credits seemed believable that, say Ephraim and L'Arachel would eventually get married based on what we saw in said supports. Ijn retrospect, Awakening and Fates is this weird middleground where it isn't as well-constrcucted mechanically as it was in Seisen No Keifu nor were many of the relationships as satisfying to explore as the ones in the 00s games.
The big difference in how I play is that I don't try to min/max, I just want to go for pairings that I like, which to me is incredibly fun.

But I do agree that the writing for the supports could be better. I do like the writing in the GBA games better for the supports, but their integration in the gameplay itself with the kids and the immediate payoff of the marriage isn't as pronounced. It could be better, but it's more fun to me! :)