• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
There were green units in Soleil's recruitment chapter too. The town militia.

I think there's something else I'm forgetting too. But, yes, they weren't common.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Revelations is the worst of both worlds; it lacks the well-crafted missions of Conquest and the inoffensive plot of Birthright. It's a middling entry by all accounts whose strengths can only be attributed to Fates' overall solid mechanical foundation.

Ayup, really rushed and it shows.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the input, guys! From the sound of it, seems like it'd be kinda difficult for me to end up with a party of usless characters, so that's good to know. I just wanted to make sure I don't royally mess things up lol. I'll keep my eye out for Faye and also push a couple dudes into merc life. Thanks again, and feel free to keep the advice coming if you have 'em!

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
How many people tried to make Faye an archer due to Heroes? I did after I had already changed Gray and Tobin, so that kind of ruined my plans. At least she was a good peg. And I ended up making Kliff my archer, and that paid off beautifully.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Gave up and bought Revelation.

Expecting to like it cause I'm in the mood for it and now I'm aware how bad the storytelling will be.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I think I could write a thesis on how Revelation Chapter 10 is the worst map design and worst written chapter the series has ever featured.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
fort in echoes is worse, but to be honest i probably hate the fort too much.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
The unit balancing has gone to absolute shit in the Nohr chapters. You get Level 19 Silas and Level 8 and 9 Effie and Arthur in the same chapter, that seems fair. What even happened here? I have no idea what IS was thinking, because it could have easily been solved out.

Otherwise, I am enjoying this much more than Birthright, the new chapters are clicking for me and the awful story is much more enjoyable than the incredible blandfest that was Birthright. I'm getting overwhelmed with the amount of units and weapons, though. I was determined to use a pre-set team but with the whole children mechanic I think it will be impossible to get all ParentxChild Supports unless I grind, probably one of the most annoying things from Awakening/Fates games. Next playthroughs I need to make far more condensed teams.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The unit balancing has gone to absolute shit in the Nohr chapters. You get Level 19 Silas and Level 8 and 9 Effie and Arthur in the same chapter, that seems fair. What even happened here? I have no idea what IS was thinking, because it could have easily been solved out.

It's pretty clear the Revelation rote was rushed for whatever reason, and in spite of some obvious changes the game could have gotten it was never patched. The main issue is that although the Birthright and neutral characters were often rebalanced, even if sometimes badly, the Conquest exclusive ones mostly come with the same stats they join with in Conquest (or just their original stats for Gunter), in spite of having completely different joining times in Revelation.

Last edited:

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
I'm up to Act 3 now in Fire Emblem Echoes, where you basically get control of the branching paths. That's kind of an interesting way to structure it. Anyway, here's some random impressions I have so far:

Characters: I really, really like this cast of characters so far. Alm and Celica are okay, but the supporting group is what makes this game endearing. They seem to have a lot more personality compared to recent FEs. The character art and portraits are also a step up, great job on the lively expressions.

Battles: I'm kind of split on this. I heard a lot about how bad the map designs were going in, and yeah, it really wasn't an exaggeration. I know they're staying true to the original, but this seemed like something they could've put their own mark on in the remake to bring it into the modern FE era. It's kinda funny how big a deal Mycen made about using environmental bonuses to your advantage in the first tutorial battle, and then it never really makes much of an impact from then on. Most of the battles have been really straightforward without need of thinking about environment.

Not implementing the weapon triangle was also an interesting choice, and I think that one actually works out pretty well. I like the weapon skill system, kinda like FF9, where characters learn arm-piercing attacks, anti-flyers, etc. through weapon usage to give the advantage in certain matchups.

Maybe this will change later on as my characters get stronger, but I'm also enjoying how not super OP everyone is at the moment. Ranged attacks have relatively lower hit rate and attack power, stronger magic attacks eat into your health, speed advantage isn't present in nearly every matchup. My favorite FE is Radiant Dawn mostly because I liked that I wasn't mostly a steamrolling death machine most of the game. Shadows of Valentia isn't necessarily difficult, but I do like the feeling that these guys have their weaknesses for the time being.

Oct 25, 2017
Back to Three Houses discussion.

One thing I'm hoping returns is neutral/allied green units. Fates' relative lack thereof (I'm blanking on any...?) was just another small factor that contributed to the absence of proper immersion. They might often be fodder, but they make their settings feel more lived-in, and can provide more scenario diversity.

Of course, in some games their existence in any meaningful quantity can slow down gameplay with lengthy phases, but with skip and fast-forwarding being ubiquitous now, that wouldn't be a problem.
also bring back recruiting enemies, basically none of the recruitments in 14 were challenging and the only enemy recruitment was Harold and Effie in Revelation

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
also bring back recruiting enemies, basically none of the recruitments in 14 were challenging and the only enemy recruitment was Harold and Effie in Revelation

I liked the whole idea of capturing enemies to recruit them from Fates, just give them full playable character support next time. Recruiting Haitaka and using him afterwards to great effect was pretty memorable.

Well, I guess wouldn't work well in an academy setting, but I'm pretty sure that will be changed into a general military commander structure later.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding Fire Emblem Echoes:

So Celica just automatically promoted at the end of the chapter. I think she was at level 14-15? Does that matter all that much or should I really have had her fully leveled up to 20?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Fire Emblem Echoes:

So Celica just automatically promoted at the end of the chapter. I think she was at level 14-15? Does that matter all that much or should I really have had her fully leveled up to 20?

It doesn't matter. You always want to promote everyone ASAP in Echoes, because promotional stat gains work differently. Instead of flat increases to given stats, Echoes' promotions bring stats up to a predetermined baseline for that promoted class.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Is that fan game The Last Promise any good? I saw some people selling repro carts of it on Etsy.

I have a low tolerance for terrible dialogue.

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
Finally beat Path of Radiance last night. Took a few months as I did it over school breaks when I was home. I think it was easily my favorite FE. The world building was great, the characters were for the most part really good, and the gameplay itself was alright. I thought it was pretty easy, but not like Birthright Revelations where it's so easy it's boring. Being able to put the game speed up to 200-300% during those horrendous enemy phases really helped. Ike is without a doubt my favorite lord/character in the series. He rises to power in a way that makes sense, he isn't "The Chosen One" and isn't born with some insane power, besides having Greil's genes. He fakes it until he is it, he's more "human" than any other character I've seen in the series.

Looking forward to playing Radiant Dawn to continue the storyline but I'll be a while until I get around to it. I've finished 7, Sacred Stones, PoR, Awakening, all of Fates, and SoV now. I'll probably play Binding Blade next and try to get around to Genealogy, of which I've only beat the first chapter.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
SoV:

I was in love with this game up until getting out of the Sage's Hamlet on Celica's route. Dealing with Jedah and his bullshit really put a damper on things. First time in the game I finally had to grind... fortunately, that wooded area right before was convenient for that. I guess it was partly my fault for having my crew so underleveled.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Time to.start abusing warp+rescue and the dread fighters/double lion. It's going to make the final fights on Alm's side and the final chapter a lot easier haha

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is that fan game The Last Promise any good? I saw some people selling repro carts of it on Etsy.

I have a low tolerance for terrible dialogue.
The writing is very fanfiction-esque, as to be expected from a fan project which was created by one guy who did most of the work before graduating high school. It's worth playing for being one of the first and still one of the most impressive, complete ROM hacks to this day for the series. Don't go in expecting something with the quality level of an official entry and you won't be disappointed.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Byleth was confirmed to be voiced — at least in battle. Probably not silent then.
(Although I could see a situation like Adol in Ys VIII: voiced with textual dialogue choices but otherwise silent.)

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
No dread fighters and you already faced Jedah? Yeah it seems like you're under leveled. Late promotions? Or you just benched your mercs lol
To be honest, I just kinda forgot about promotions lol. I haven't really had the need to use them up until this point, since the battles have been at a good level of difficulty...challenging but not frustratingly so. I felt like promoting would've ruined that balance. It's why I've avoided grinding and tried not to initiate any non-story battles.

But now the joke's on me though because of this late game spike. I'm kinda burnt out at the moment and the thought of grinding doesn't really appeal to me. I'll probably pick it up again in a few days.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Revelation in particular was so baffling in this regard given how much it and Fates as a whole seemed to be trying to deconstruct Fire Emblem protagonists and their tendency to trust the people, especially people they were literally just fighting against two minutes ago. It's why that path's story is so weak even by the low standards of Fates' storytelling.

Oct 25, 2017
the thing with revelation's story is that it's not as incredibly stupid as conquest's but it's just really boring like who cares

Deku_o4a

Oct 27, 2017
Started an Awakening Lunatic no grind run last week.
Chapter 2 and 5 were pretty shitty, but apart from those I enjoy the difficulty so far.
The MU is a little bit too OP, though you definitely need more trained units in later chapters.
My personal favourite unit right now is my Great Knight Kellam. He dealt with 75% of the enemies in chapter 12.
I haven't checked his speed growth, but he grew surprisingly speedy.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, adding a Dread Fighter to the team really made short work of Duma's Tower, lol. Saber really wrecked shop there. The Resistance boost and the skill to halve magic damage on the unit is amazing...basically, made him impervious to mages/witches. Atlas and Kamui are still low-level myrmidons (and Jesse is still a merc, lol), but once they're ready to promote, this team is gonna be overkill.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
Recently finished Conquest, a playthrough that took me like 1 year and a half since playing through the game just after Birthright made me get burnt out quickly. I can't say much that hasn't been said already about the game: story is absurd, the moment when the plot transitions to "let's invade Hoshido" is terrible and the story never recovers. The map design is pretty cool (the port with Takumi is top tier) but some maps go too hard on the gimmicks (Saizo's map was particularly tedious IMO).

Overall, I had fun with it, even if it took me a long time to clear it. Now I'll focus on Echoes and I'll probably play Revelation in a year or so, after 3H.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Playing the Binding Blade for the first time. Didn't grind at the arena on the last map, as I just never care to really grind in an FE game. But...maybe I should have. Just lost Roy for the second or third time so far in this playthrough. And I was so far into the map, too. Ugh! The game's no slouch, as far as I'm concerned. But I like it. It's nice lean but serviceable story much in the same way Shadow Dragon was.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Nearing end of Act 4, Mycen telling me I'm heading into a point of no return. You guys got any advice on what I need to prepare?

Gray is a newly-minted dread fighter. Thinking of grinding up the rest to at least their final classes. Is that necessary or overkill?

EDIT: Also, I haven't spent any money yet. Should I dump it all into the forge now? I have a feeling this is probably my last chance. Any recommendations on what to spend it on?

Last edited:

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I am part of a Tellius fanzine so I get to show off some preview fanart!
LOOK AT THAT DEVILISH BIRD:

dd3kbsx-9a29ec1a-4897-49ef-a06f-4207eb289455.jpg

Pre-orders open on April 7th and you can read more about it on the official twitter: https://twitter.com/FE_Radiance

Man this makes me wish for an FE9/10 remaster (add in the planned but missing support convos, INTSYS!!!). They were my favourite games besides FE4's melodrama.

I am just hoping Three Houses isn't a trash story.
Maybe male and female Byleth will have completely different personalities (like humourless male and aloof female). I'd be cool with that too since it would explain f!Byleth's lack of regard for her attire lol. Then we'd get to have 2 stories almost. Return of FE8 elements.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this premium arrange album is amazing. Another great rendition of With Mila's Divine Protection, Lucina and Robin's seiyuus singing Id -Purpose, all of Yumi Kawamura's songs (the FE theme especially). I'm blown away.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
manage to snag a few preorders of this today from amazon.ca :
D3KfghgV4AEDDu3.jpg:large

Seems to be sold out now.

How often does Amazon cancel multiple pre-orders? I got three to give to myself, brother, and sister.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Wow, that presentation is so much better than the (supposed) cover art we've seen from the standard edition.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I'd be able to get this done in a day but I miscalculated lol. It takes more than an hour per character so obviously with 12+ characters, it was going to take me at least a couple of days to finish.. Luckily the Fire Emblem Heroes banner this week seems to be all about new Tellius characters. Which is great SYNERGY between the fanzine and current events. :D

Can you guess the theme I'm going for? lol It took a lot more research than I expected.

EDIT: OKAY ACTUALLY I AM DONE NOW

dd46x6r-bcdf0b3a-9dbc-4cbe-8362-b690801172fb.jpg

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
New Three Houses information coming in this week's Famitsu (official release 4/25). Preview:

5cb969d81fc54.jpg

l_5cb969d81b9ea.jpg

z_5cb969d817784.jpg

• Seems like this coverage might be weekly as we head to release. Exciting.
  • Male and Female Byleth apparently have slightly different names? (ベレト vs ベレス)
  • Oh god that artwork of Sothis, kill me now.
  • F!Byleth's lace stockings continue to emphasize her role as a professor of fucking.
At least M!Byleth, Claude, and Dimitri continue to look good. Not as big on Edelgard's artwork here.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Why fByleth looks so bad, even as fanservice fcorrin did better than this

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When the article officially releases i want someone to photoshop Sothis on the iron throne for me, thanks.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, I'm PISSED. I wish I had read about this beforehand...

FE Birthright spoilers
Kaze just died. My support with him was at a B, and apparently he survives if it's an easy. I didn't check my saves, but I don't think I have any in chapter 15. I'm mad, I was about to promote him to Master Ninja and Saizo to Dread Fighter.

Edit: fuuuucckkk my other save is an hour and a half back. Should I suck it up and replay it? My instant reaction is no way, I don't feel like doing everything I did (plus random stuff like arena, etc., not to mention the supports and whatnot) but I also don't want to lose a unit like that.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I'm PISSED. I wish I had read about this beforehand...

FE Birthright spoilers
Kaze just died. My support with him was at a B, and apparently he survives if it's an easy. I didn't check my saves, but I don't think I have any in chapter 15. I'm mad, I was about to promote him to Master Ninja and Saizo to Dread Fighter.

Edit: fuuuucckkk my other save is an hour and a half back. Should I suck it up and replay it? My instant reaction is no way, I don't feel like doing everything I did (plus random stuff like arena, etc., not to mention the supports and whatnot) but I also don't want to lose a unit like that.
An hour and a half isn't really that much if not having him will sour your playthrough.

Fates gives you plenty of characters if you won't miss him.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Yay I beat Birthright. Okay I have some questions:

1. Did I miss the character endings or what? I skipped the credits and then I got to select 5 characters and nothing happened, so?

2. Should I play Conquest or skip right to Revelations? I ask because I'm not a huge fan of SRPGs or this series. In fact, I found little to like in this game in the story or characters department, especially after playing Echoes last year.

3. Is there some sort of carryover to the other paths, or can I safely change genders, appearance, etc and basically start over?

Also found the music insanely boring. Echoes really must've been an outlier in the music department, as I don't recall hearing anything memorable in Awakening either.

Last edited: