• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yay I beat Birthright. Okay I have some questions:

1. Did I miss the character endings or what? I skipped the credits and then I got to select 5 characters and nothing happened, so?

Yep, you skipped the character endings.

2. Should I play Conquest or skip right to Revelations? I ask because I'm not a huge fan of SRPGs or this series. In fact, I found little to like in this game in the story or characters department, especially after playing Echoes last year.

Conquest has much more challenging gameplay with enemies with unique skill sets up and more unique map gimmicks/objectives (there's even actual gameplay reasons to use captured units here if you're playing on hard or lunatic). If you don't think the gameplay is really a selling point though the story is weak.

Revelation was the original "grand finale" (although it's not even that anymore since Heirs of Fates is clearly the final ending, although it's not a standard campaign, since you use preset characters), but it's kind of a mess both story and gameplay-wise.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
I'm drunk.

Excuse anything I write.

I'm finally playing through my first Fire Emblem The game is Fire Emblem 7 or The Blazing Blade or Rekka no Ken. It's so similar to Shining Force but I think I prefer it which is crazy. I've never seen an srpg with such depth before. Terrain, villages, shopping...there's so much to do and things to uncover on maps. The perma death leads to extremely great design where you're often willing to play defensively more than offensively. I've even grown on the story which seemed bareboned at first. I'm loving this.

I've wanted to play Fire Emblem since I saw that guy on gaf with the cool Fire Emblem avatars. Man something. And my friend yapped and yapped about Path of Radiance. I played the demo to Awakening and LOVED IT but for some reason it's taken this time to give the series a shot. I'm kind of ashamed but hey, shit happens.

I'm drunk as fuck and FE7 owns. Lyn ows. Hector owns. Eliwood owns. Marcus owns. Rath owns.

I'm really loving this game. It's the origination of the srpg and yet still so unique compared to its counterparts.

I'm not sure what game in the series to play next. FE3 and 4 look up my alley. Hardcore SFam shit. But I'm also interested in the gba trilogy and Awakening which I wanted all those years ago.

I've never played an sprg that made me think,"Yo. My guys are so fucking cool" before.

I mean look at this shit.

Cq99iBz.gif

Seeing this as a kid is what made me fall in love with Fire Emblem:

It's the first time the Fire Emblem theme was used.
The intro to the theme might be new to some of you...

Also made my bro a lifetime fan.
Was crazy back in 1990.

Was sent as a gift from my uncle in Japan. :P

I'm drunk and yet still recognize this song.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
It's a pity that we never got something akin to the GBA animations in later games. Echoes was the closest they got with 3D models but it wasn't close.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I'm not sure what game in the series to play next. FE3 and 4 look up my alley. Hardcore SFam shit. But I'm also interested in the gba trilogy and Awakening which I wanted all those years ago.

From reading your RPG thread and getting an idea of what you like-

FE8 and Awakening are both stupid easy, so you may want to avoid them. 3 and 4 would indeed be up your alley.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
I think Sacred Stones and Awakening are good fun, both. A different approach to the formula, but still good FE games. I'd recommend SS first, as I think it has a more enjoyable story, characters, setting, overworld, etc. Plus, the GBA graphics are more of the goodness you're experiencing now.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
I'm going to go:

Fire Emblem 7 -> Fire Emblem 3 -> Fire Emblem 4 -> Fire Emblem 1 -> Fire Emblem 12 -> Echoes -> Fire Emblem 13 -> whatever from there

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I recommend playing conquest skipping the story, it is a good experience, you can also not skip the story but it might affect how much you like the game.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Why do some age fans call 3 and 4 archaic then

FE3 lacks many of the features added by later games, so it's very basic. It does have most of the core of the series already though, aside from the weapon triangle (unlike FE1 which has many gameplay oddities) and a fairly unique feature that was mostly forgotten afterwards (mounted units can dismount, changing from lances to swords, and need to dismount for indoor maps). Compared to FE7, it still has villages, shops, arena, the intermission where you can swap equipment before battles... So a lot of the game would be familiar, but it's missing elements like battle sprites following the color pallet of the portraits, supports (there are some built-in character relationship boosts, but no support conversations), characters who still appear in story scenes after joining your party (they all basically disappear once joining as playable units outside of Sheeda/Caeda participating in many recruitment conversations), alternate objectives are also kind of missing, but not really (you need to conquer a throne/keep to finish almost every chapter, but many chapters especially in book 2 incorporate design elements that basically force alternate objectives, especially if you want all to get all characters and the real ending).

FE4 introduced the weapon triangle, skills and generally has all around better graphics than FE3 alongside faster and more dynamic battle animations. There's also a core cast that actually keeps story presence unlike FE3. You can pair up characters like in FE7 (but only for romance) and some get conversations, although only for specific pairings. However, it has some odd design choices, like characters being unable to give items to each other. You need to resell them to a store and buy them with another character, since each one has their own funds.

Why is the story so bad?

Some people dislike the basic premise of Conquest's story - basically siding with the "evil" side of a war just because the family the main character grew up with is there, while attempting to keep their own hands clean, but not actually stopping evil atrocities from happening. On top of that though, a big part of the later plot of the game is entirely reliant on clumsily implemented plot devices rather than natural development.

I actually like the basic premise, but the execution is just stupidly done at various points (although I think some script edits could fix many of the issues, which frustrates me due to them changing supports and some light-hearted story dialogue quite a bit in the localization but largely avoiding actual story plot points).

Last edited:

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
Downloaded Fire Emblem Heroes. Currently like,"who ARE you people?" and might play Awakening and Fates after 7 now lmao

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna hold out for an Echoes release of 4 and 5, but if the Naga and Exile translations are as good as people are saying, then I'll probably just dive in now.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Has there been actual word on that?
Nah, people just say that because it's the "next in line", even though they haven't done remakes in perfect chronological order so far. Echoes' director actually said he'd be interested in Biding Blade.

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If some of the leaks of 3 Houses are true
It might be preparing the terrain for FE4 remake

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, people just say that because it's the "next in line", even though they haven't done remakes in perfect chronological order so far. Echoes' director actually said he'd be interested in Biding Blade.
Still say it makes more sense to do Blazing Blade first. It's the prequel!

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think FE4 and FE5 will be released as one game with 3 tales, one for Sigurd, one for Leif and one for Seliph
Of course they would have to mash mechanics from the 2 games together. So it will depend if they want to preserve the original mechanics or not

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think FE4 and FE5 will be released as one game with 3 tales, one for Sigurd, one for Leif and one for Seliph

They split Book 1 from Book 2 after FE3 had both. There's no way they'll be combining games like that, especially completely different ones like FE5 compared to FE4. At least FE6 to 7 could feel like part of a single game.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They split Book 1 from Book 2 after FE3 had both. There's no way they'll be combining games like that, especially completely different ones like FE5 compared to FE4. At least FE6 to 7 could feel like part of a single game.
They are making 3 Houses be 1 game after Fates

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
They are making 3 Houses be 1 game after Fates

It also has a smaller cast (well, apparently), the main flow of the plot is apparently the same for the three routes just with different extra story scenes before and after the missions and there aren't a different set of classes for each kingdom.

Oct 25, 2017
Do I have it in me to beat chapter 15 and onward of Revelation in the next two months before Three Houses comes out.

I got bogged down wanting to pair everyone up and and worrying about getting good children that it completely derails the game.

At this point I just want to beat the damn game to see the ending and all that stuff. I think I even lost whatever pairings I had decided on so there is that.

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Do I have it in me to beat chapter 15 and onward of Revelation in the next two months before Three Houses comes out.

I got bogged down wanting to pair everyone up and and worrying about getting good children that it completely derails the game.

At this point I just want to beat the damn game to see the ending and all that stuff. I think I even lost whatever pairings I had decided on so there is that.
dude just don't do the paralogues lol, you're probably not even going to want to play more after dealing with Revelation maps

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Did some research for my own benefit, but figured others might be interested.

I've been looking to see which characters in Three Houses are confirmed to be recruited, and what skills they require if so. Here's what I could drum up, primarily through Serenes Forest:

Black Eagles
Caspar -
Petra - Dexterity and Riding

Blue Lions
Annette -
Mercedes - Magic and Bow

Golden Deer
Marianne -
Raphael -
Ignatz -
Leonie - Strength and Lance
Lysithea - Magic and Faith
Lorenz - Charm and Reason

Looks like each student requires a stat and a skill. Interestingly Hilda is the only character from Golden Deer that hasn't been confirmed to be recruitable.

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Did some research for my own benefit, but figured others might be interested.

I've been looking to see which characters in Three Houses are confirmed to be recruited, and what skills they require if so. Here's what I could drum up, primarily through Serenes Forest:

Black Eagles
Caspar -
Petra - Dexterity and Riding

Blue Lions
Annette -
Mercedes - Magic and Bow

Golden Deer
Marianne -
Raphael -
Ignatz -
Leonie - Strength and Lance
Lysithea - Magic and Faith
Lorenz - Charm and Reason

Looks like each student requires a stat and a skill. Interestingly Hilda is the only character from Golden Deer that hasn't been confirmed to be recruitable.
We know that each house has one more student beyond the main lord that isnt recruitable, Dedue for BL and Hubert for BE, so either Hilda is the one from GD or GD doesnt have one

Oct 27, 2017
I must say, Yune is the coolest fan project imo. For those who don't know, it's a randomizer that changes everything from growths/bases/classes to recruitment, enemies, weapons, and even more. It has made my revisit to Sacred Stones so deliciously fun and I've actually died a few times due to being thrown off by certain combos of enemies that the randomizer threw in. It's soooo fun, I highly recommend it for you all who want to revisit some old FE games (as of know it only works for FE4 and 6-8) but want a fresh new twist :)

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
I've finally gotten around to playing Conquest, since the Fates titles are the only US released FE games I've yet to play. To be honest, I was thinking of skipping Fates altogether, since I really didn't like how extreme they went with the waifu/marriage pandering thing. It's like they took the main thing I didn't enjoy about Awakening and gigantamax'd it.

Having said that, the battles are surprisingly good. The map designs are a lot of fun (especially since my most recent FE was SoV, which was a bit underwhelming in that department). That means a lot to me in a strategy game. I also like how the characters aren't super over-powered for the most part either (or maybe I've just been picking the wrong characters). The battles have been pretty scrappy on Hard and I've even sacrificed a few units already (I'm at Ch 17 at this time).

The story is still bullshit though and I've resorted to skipping cutscenes and dialogues at this point. It's probably the worst written FE game, IMO. It's not even boring/unremarkable, but outright bad and cringeworthy. This is also the only FE game I can think of that I don't have a single character/personality I like. They all seem super generic...like each character was modeled after an anime stereotype, then simplified it even further to a single gimmick.

Even still, I'm having a blast with the battles and it's been worth playing just to stave off my FE craving a little bit more with Three Houses coming up on the horizon.

...if you happened to have read all that, do you think I should also play Birthright and Revelations then? I'm leaning toward making Conquest my only Fates experience, but still open to the idea of trying the others. I picked Conquest first because I heard it was the more "traditional" style of the bunch.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
...if you happened to have read all that, do you think I should also play Birthright and Revelations then? I'm leaning toward making Conquest my only Fates experience, but still open to the idea of trying the others. I picked Conquest first because I heard it was the more "traditional" style of the bunch.

Definitely don't. It sounds like you basically only enjoyed the map/battle design, and Conquest is the only one of the three where those are remotely good.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Birthright's gameplay is like Awakening, but with Fates's better mechanics and overall stronger map design. Rev is kind of interesting, but unit balance is all over the place, and the map gimmicks are just absurd half the time.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely don't. It sounds like you basically only enjoyed the map/battle design, and Conquest is the only one of the three where those are remotely good.
Gotcha, thanks for the head's up.

Birthright's gameplay is like Awakening, but with Fates's better mechanics and overall stronger map design. Rev is kind of interesting, but unit balance is all over the place, and the map gimmicks are just absurd half the time.
What map gimmicks? Like the dragon vein mechanic?

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Remember the wind map where units were being blown all over the place? That's an early game Rev map, and they don't let up. Dragon veins are a big part of most maps, and they tend to cause more tedium than anything else.
That sounds pretty miserable, haha. Okay, I think I'm pretty content with Conquest being my lone expedition into the Fates games. I'm not finished with it yet, but it's a decently enjoyable campaign, even if I'm skipping all the dialogue and have almost zero attachment to any of the characters.

One mechanic that annoys me though are the stat reductions for weapons/skills/etc. It's easy to lose track when there's multiple enemies and weapons in play for a sequence, and they're rarely reflected in the matchup interface. I've lost a couple units because I miscalculated damage ahead of time, failing to take into account an enemy would be able to double attack after a speed reduction from another enemy encounter during their phase.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding Fire Emblem Conquest:

I'm finally getting around to doing these paralogue chapters for the children. Which ones are worth keeping? (that sounded awful, lol)

I feel like my crew is already fairly crowded with decent characters, not sure if I really need anymore. My wrecking crew are Corrin, Xander, Leo, Camilla, Niles. Silas and Effie are solid. Elise finally promoted and can contribute to offense now as opposed to just healing. Azura is invaluable utility. Jakob is pretty useful for his debuffs. Beruka is okay, but she's probably getting replaced by one of the children.

So that's already 10-11 spots filled. I have Nina, Shigure, Percy, Kana, Midori, Forrest, Dwyer available. Nina is a beast, she's definitely making the team. Shigure and Percy seem kinda good, I'm considering them. Any input here on the kids?

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
For the most part the Fates children can be skipped. They're similar to the Awakening children in that they will outclass their parents with training, but at least in Conquest you don't have that much opportunity to grind.

Kana is pretty solid as another manakete. Forrest and Dwyer are nice if you need healers.

Ophelia is quite good, though that's largely in contrast to how bad poor Odin is. Soleil is also pretty useful out of the box.

I like Sophie and Velouria as characters, though their usefulness will vary.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Restarted Awakening (I think for the sixth or seventh time since getting it on release) a couple of weeks ago. I know it's all kinds of broken and silly in many ways, but it's still one of my favorite FEs. I love coming back to this one. It's so easy to get into. Doing my usual Hard/Classic. On Chapter 12. Not grinding too much. Already lost a few units, including Donnel, which I lost in his Paralogue. I guess it's just fun in much the same way Sacred Stones is because it opens up so much in terms of options of things to do, going off the main path for hours at a time. And for me, I guess I just fell in love with a certain kind of brokeness since first playing FFT, a game that is so hard at first and then makes you feel like a god after a while. :D

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Who is a good FE youtuber to follow? Outside of PM1 that, and please don't say Mangs, this guy makes my skin crawl everytime he speaks about women

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Who is a good FE youtuber to follow? Outside of PM1 that, and please don't say Mangs, this guy makes my skin crawl everytime he speaks about women

For what type of content? LPs, news, FEH? Many of the bigger ones are... pretty bro-y and off-putting, with Mangs being one of the more grossly toxic of that bunch.

My favorite FE LPer is Deltre by a mile. He's cool, entertaining, good at the games, has a variety of entries LP'd (including TRS and part of Berwick), and just comes off as a very decent person.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
One day youtube recommended a relatively big female FEHTuber, but i forget her name. Still a chance of being an asshole but should be less bro-y than the usual FEHtuber