• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
For what type of content? LPs, news, FEH? Many of the bigger ones are... pretty bro-y and off-putting, with Mangs being one of the more grossly toxic of that bunch.

My favorite FE LPer is Deltre by a mile. He's cool, entertaining, good at the games, has a variety of entries LP'd (including TRS and part of Berwick), and just comes off as a very decent person.
I can't say I ever expected FEH to attract a collection of BroTubers.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately. every Fire Emblem YouTubers (that ive seen) are pretty bad. From saying awful stuff to being outright toxic.

Which is a shame.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
What about Ghastation? I haven't heard bad things about him but I admit I've only followed "FETubers" until last year. Also yeah, Mangs fucking sucks.

I like Ghast plenty... when it's just him (which is usually!). He used to collab a lot with Mangs, and he still does sometimes I think, so just have to avoid those videos.

Mekkah might be decent if his content weren't damn inextricable from Mangs.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
I like Mekkah and his insights into the mechanical side of the game are pretty interesting. But I agree with those above that say he's pretty inseparable from Mangs who often enters into uncomfortable territory for me.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Mekkah serious videos are good, but I agree that his other videos have too much of mangs so avoid these.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I realized something kind of shitty about Genealogy. At least Colosseum fights are predetermined. The animation it shows is fluff, because your character will miss as many times as necessary to get the result. So Rex ends up falling to dodge every attack, then misses three times in a row for me every time, even if I change weapons. If you have an exceptionally fast character you can dodge attacks even with one hp and regain it all, but slower characters easily start to lag behind. So I'm stuck with a situation where he can't pass level one.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Of all of the fog of war maps that this series has included in each and every game, have any of them actually been fun?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Of all of the fog of war maps that this series has included in each and every game, have any of them actually been fun?
Take: I think that the principle problem with almost all Fog of War maps is that they're bad maps, not that they've got FoW on them. You can play the Lonato one from 3H without Fog on a few occasions and it's just dull.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
What's wrong with Mangs? I see his videos in my Youtube recommendations from time to time but don't watch his stuff

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking about how 3H compares to Fates and Awakening and one thing I'm glad that 3H does not have is the damn Counter skill on enemies. Nothing in Fates was more obnoxious than trying to track which enemy was the one with the skill, in a sea of their identical brothers, who would kill your character for having the audacity to hit them with an attack.

Worse still, they would always throw that on enemies like Entombed or Berserker, big bags of HP with low speed and def, who were damn hard to OHKO, but could easily be doubled to death. Just as a big invitation to get the most damage instantly reflected back into your face.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about how 3H compares to Fates and Awakening and one thing I'm glad that 3H does not have is the damn Counter skill on enemies. Nothing in Fates was more obnoxious than trying to track which enemy was the one with the skill, in a sea of their identical brothers, who would kill your character for having the audacity to hit them with an attack.

Worse still, they would always throw that on enemies like Entombed or Berserker, big bags of HP with low speed and def, who were damn hard to OHKO, but could easily be doubled to death. Just as a big invitation to get the most damage instantly reflected back into your face.
There are enemies with the Counterattack skill in 3 Houses.

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017

Counter(magic) in Fates only works if you initiate into it, so dying to that is entirely on you.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The biggest annoyance with that skill though is having to check every enemy on the map to make sure they're even safe to attack.
This. In addition to trying to keep track of who had what debuffs based what was the weapon you used last or fucking ninjas, Fates was just a needlessly fiddly game.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't mind Counter in Fates, at least that made me think a little harder on how to engage them compared to 3H.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I dont even remember counter in Fates, but I only played Revelations on lunatic, the rest was on hard

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The one where you first meet Merlinus works pretty well, in fact the GBA entires have some of the less offensive uses of FoW overall. The majority of them, however, are pretty pretty bad. 776's are technically the worst offenders because you literally can't see where you're going but One Survives is a contender for the worst map in all of Fire Emblem alongside Geoffrey's Charge.
Unfortunately. every Fire Emblem YouTubers (that ive seen) are pretty bad. From saying awful stuff to being outright toxic.

Which is a shame.
I hope i've been neither of those.
I didn't mind Counter in Fates, at least that made me think a little harder on how to engage them compared to 3H.
Lunatic/Lunatic+ perhaps?

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Wow, this is some bullshit. Character has a speed of 23 and the enemy has something like 16. So of course they get to attack twice? What?

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Speed is different from AS, but used in the calculation for it. AS is what determines double attacks. What game are you playing, and what were their weapons' weights?

What does AS stand for?

I'm playing Holy War, but didn't realize that weight also determined double attacks. I can't recall who was attacked, but it was thunder magic like drone.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
What does AS stand for?

I'm playing Holy War, but didn't realize that weight also determined double attacks. I can't recall who was attacked, but it was thunder magic like drone.

AS stands for attack speed. Here's a list of calculations for it in each game, typically involving SPD and WT, but sometimes STR too:

In Genealogy, you only need 1 more AS than your opponent to double, and the calculation is simply: AS = SPD - WT

However, a unit must have the skill Pursuit to be able to double in Genealogy, so bear that in mind.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finally started Thracia 776 after some people pointed out there's a good translation for it nowadays

And boy am I having difficulty keeping some units alive. The ambush at the end of chapter 4 drained Leif's Light Brand a whole chunk because I couldn't see any other way to deal with all those armors. I have an armor slayer, but so far Leif's the only one capable of equipping that too, lol.

Now I'm at chapter 4x and I have to take on a whole row of mages and armors from the get-go with my battered supplies, pffft. Wonder if I can get through this without sacrificing any units, nevermind getting the kids to escape...
... but I am having a lot of fun trying to overcome these challenges! So far anyway. Just hope there's some breathing room soon.

PS: what factors in whether or not you can capture an enemy unit? I figured it was a CON thing, but now I'm not so sure.

PPS: Are healers somewhat reliable in this game or should I just snatch every vulnerary I can find? I tried to get my cleric to heal in a non-dangerous situation in chapter 3 and she missed SIX TIMES IN A GODDAMN ROW. I'd be throwing my controller against the wall if that was a life-and-death situation.

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
what factors in whether or not you can capture an enemy unit? I figured it was a CON thing, but now I'm not so sure
Your CON needs to be higher than your opponent's CON, but mounted units are treated as if they have 20 CON when capturing or getting captured. Finn is great for capturing, especially with his Brave Lance.

Are healers somewhat reliable in this game or should I just snatch every vulnerary I can find? I tried to get my cleric to heal in a non-dangerous situation in chapter 3 and she missed SIX TIMES IN A GODDAMN ROW
They will be more reliable later on when they get more SKL (it's Staff Hit (60?) + 4 x SKL), but six times in a row is extremely unlucky (unless you used savestates without burning rng numbers).

Last edited:

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Your CON needs to be higher than your opponent's CON, but mounted units are treated as if they have 20 CON when capturing or getting captured. Finn is great for capturing, especially with his Brave Lance.

They will be more reliable later on when they get more SKL (it's Staff Hit (60?) + 4 x SKL), but six times in a row is extremely unlucky (unless you used savestates without burning rng numbers).
20 CON is max I assume and it's impossible to capture any mounted units then?

And yeah, tbf savescumming was probably a factor that time. Tho I've had Nanna double-miss on two occasions in chapter 5 too. It just makes me smile. They try so, so hard but they can't get that darn staff technology to work properly!
Good to know it'll get better down the line atleast.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Well this is kind of infuriating. Playing Holy War, there's a enemy that can take nearly any character to 1 HP and can attack twice. A village warns that a "sacrifice may be necessary." And once this character manages to kill one of your units, he disappears. Great, I have a Valkyrie Staff, and a Valkyrie Staff can resurrect any character if used at your main castle.

But the person holding my Valkyrie Staff is a mage, not a healer, so he can't use it. You can't give it to another character who isn't that character's lover. He's not romantically interested in a healer. You can't sell it. So it looks like I have to try to get him to kill a character and just live with it. There are some cool elements to this game, but the way items work in this game is complete and utter garbage.

It doesn't help that google is a poor search engine these days, and I can't seem to find anything on this.

Mar-Mar

Oct 30, 2017
Germany
In case you haven't already moved on:

Try to defeat that enemy. You can save at the start of every turn in Holy War anyway, so you can try a few times. It is definitely possible (I did this myself). A fast sword user might be necessary, but they will only do decent damage with a crit, so you need the critical skill or a weapon that grants that skill (hint: every weapon with over 50 kills will automatically be able to crit at a chance of [Number of Kills - 50]%). Of course you need to plan out your positioning and also watch out for that enemy's companion …

edit: Ah yeah, I forgot. Lovers can also crit when standing next to each other.

Last edited:

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Edit: The games is crazy, but seemingly against all odds, I managed to beat it. It lucked out in that I had enough money to purchase sleep and silence. I don't think I would have been able to beat the game otherwise.

Last edited:

Mar-Mar

Oct 30, 2017
Germany
But trying to beat her in the last chapter was very rough. I had to try about 10 times, and my victory had more to do with trying to find ways to reset the RNG in different ways than any actual strategy, because nothing worked. Anyone who wasn't Selis gave her a head start, which killed them before they could attack, seemingly regardless of magic defense. So trying to develop a strategy of attacking with Selis and following up with a different character didn't work; I had to use the dancer to give him two moves, and attempt it on different turns to find a time when he wouldn't miss. Which isn't really fun.
Both Larcei ( ラクチェ ) und Ulster ( スカサハ ) also have the Nihil ( 見切り ) skill (same as Seliph). You should then be able to easily RNG cheese her with an Astra proc (or to be safe: weaken her with Seliph). Unless you don't have these two and instead got their replacement units. But you can also hope that she doesn't proc her doubling skill when attacking with Shanan and his legendary weapon, unless he gets oneshot.

I don't remember my strats for the final chapter too well, but I know getting around Julia was kinda annoying. :D

Last edited:

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
So there's no way to
max my support with Edelgard now if I'm not doing her route, right? Also, is it possible to max her support pre-time skip, without joining her?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
So there's no way to
max my support with Edelgard now if I'm not doing her route, right? Also, is it possible to max her support pre-time skip, without joining her?
It is 100% impossible to max out her support if you aren't playing Crimson Flower.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
These maps are getting more demanding.

any tips on how to get to Judith before it's too late? Seems pretty difficult to do. Unless I just bees to take a different route.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Are we thinking we'll get another Fire Emblem on the Switch? There's usually at least 2-3 years between mainline entires right?