• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Are we thinking we'll get another Fire Emblem on the Switch? There's usually at least 2-3 years between mainline entires right?
Well, IS' situation in general is a complete mystery right now since we don't know what most of their staff is apparently working on.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They are obviously making Advance Wars switch, Pushmo Universe and Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door 2

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Are we thinking we'll get another Fire Emblem on the Switch? There's usually at least 2-3 years between mainline entires right?
I'd wager we're getting at least two more; Three Billboards on Tellius was practically screaming "this will be the template for a Seisen remake!" at times, plus we normally get two original games per console at minimum. The only exceptions to this, at least for consoles that received a Fire Emblem game (see: not the N64, Game Boy Color unless you count that unofficial bootleg on the GBC) were the Gamecube (Path of Radiance), Wii (Radiant Dawn) DS (both remakes) and Wii U (do we count #FE?). Given Fire Emblem's current success, the Switch being as hot a console as it is, Three Little Pigs' making record sales and the lack of another console for Intelligent Systems to develop for (Three Houses did start out on the 3DS, after all), I doubt we're going to see a repeat of the 00s console era.

Also, we do now that Intelligent Systems normally works on, like, several projects at once, right? That's part of the reason why we got Shadows of Valentia so soon after Fates. I'll see you all once I finish my Three Houses review the trailer for Shadows of Yikes: The Game drops.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Source for that?
Iirc IS started a game for 3DS but it was on the 3DS engine and it was cancelled by Nintendo
Using Google Translate so I may be misunderstanding it/GT might have mistranslated the article but here: https://www.4gamer.net/games/423/G042326/20190716108/
4Gamer: When did the project start?

Yokota: It's difficult to tell when it started, but I was thinking about the new project itself before the development of "FE Echoes".

4Gamer: At that point, was the next story about Nintendo Switch?

Yokota: The first plan was for Nintendo 3DS. After that, I decided to make "FE Echoes" with 3DS, and was temporarily put on hold. At the timing when the development of "FE Echoes" reached the middle stage, I moved on to planning again. It is a flow. It was around the time of the release of "FE Echoes" that the team was organized and started production.

As I understand it, the main reason they stopped development for Three Houses on the 3DS was because of Shadows of Valentia. It sounds like it was pretty early on given he can't recall exactly when (there's another interview where he says it was right after Fates was finished), but I digress.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Using Google Translate so I may be misunderstanding it/GT might have mistranslated the article but here: https://www.4gamer.net/games/423/G042326/20190716108/

As I understand it, the main reason they stopped development for Three Houses on the 3DS was because of Shadows of Valentia. It sounds like it was pretty early on given he can't recall exactly when (there's another interview where he says it was right after Fates was finished), but I digress.
They say plan tho, planning and development arent exactly the same thing.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm, I downloaded the Fates gay patch, and I absolutely love it. Can finally marry Oboro and Severa with female Corrin.

Anyways, despite the new supports, I was surprised Gunter and Reina don't have a support convo.

How would you guys write one for those two? I tried going with how Gunter raised Corrin and acted as a substitute parent, but I dunno... Not entirely convinced.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
so premium arrange 2 soundtrack was listed.

Yumi Kawamura is singing my favorite fire emblem map theme and least favorite map theme. How did they know (its disturbance/uprising in agustria and beyond the sky - even though i actually like the smash version ... just hate the gba version with a passion).

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Question regarding Fire Emblem Warriors

How do exactly weapons work? Like I k ow that there are clasiffied according to their ranks, but I dont know of I have to make my characters use the best weapon possible according to its rank, or if I just have to stick with the personal weapons (which seems to have more slots than regular weapons)

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Went back to Echoes the other day. It's been, I think, over a year since I almost finished the game. Restarted from scratch, and I must say, though I still have trouble with all the missing things in this game that I generally love about Fire Emblem games, the dialogue and characters (though not amazing) are a breath of fresh air again after recalling Fates and even Awakening. Plus, I forgot how little it wastes time in terms of moving you along -- no massive cutscenes, etc. Will try my hardest (again) to reconcile the gameplay differences and actually try to finish it this time. :P

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
And don't get me wrong, the other two aren't my favorites. I think I still prefer the two GBA games, and heck, even the remake on DS, Shadow Dragon, is one of my favorites (which I know I'm very much alone in that). I loved Awakening because of how it refreshed the franchise, but the things I miss most of all in Echoes are the things like weapons triangle and wear. But again, it's still a fun game in its own way.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
How do exactly weapons work? Like I k ow that there are clasiffied according to their ranks, but I dont know of I have to make my characters use the best weapon possible according to its rank, or if I just have to stick with the personal weapons (which seems to have more slots than regular weapons)

You'll always want to use weapons from the strongest type you have access to (Hero > Brave > Silver > Steel > Iron > Bronze, the stars just increase their power within the same level, so a 5 star bronze is still weaker than iron with no stars). The power difference is too big to make up for it with skills.

As far as the personal weapons go, later on you unlock skills which allow you to increase their power to the level of brave weapons after defeating a certain number of enemies, and if you have the DLC they can go even further beyond, becoming stronger than even the Hero weapons).

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
I figured people in here might be interested to hear that Berwick Saga (from the creator of our lovely FE franchise) has been translated. I made a thread about this, but it's easy to miss and the game deserves some attention!

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
It took me like a whole year, but I finished FE Revelation. It's seriously so bad. I was on board with the hit-or-miss map design in the first half, but in the second half they completely gave up. I also was expecting a complete mess of a story, like Conquest, which I find fun, but there was nothing to Revelation, I don't even know what was Ananko's deal...

I still think Birthright is my least favourite FE game because it was a massive dissapointment and it's the blandest experience I got out of this franchise, but Revelation for sure is a close second... What a cashgrab.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So...the series 30th is coming up soon and Nintendo has been mum on that which is understandable given the current global pandemic.

Does anyone expect them to announce anything other than a logo prior to the 20th?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Wait Fire Emblem anniversary is the same day as Hitler's and the same day as weed day? I swear april 20th is the most prolific day of the year.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously answering this post-Direct, but I doubt we see anything on a new Fire Emblem entry until E3 at the earliest (assuming Nintendo does a Direct around then without E3), or maybe in a Fall Direct.

And that's assuming they were working on another Echoes title simultaneously or something. If not, probably not until next year or later. The anniversary's nice and all, but companies don't typically plan around anniversaries unless it just happens to coincide. Hopefully we get another Echoes title on the way sooner than later though!

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
E3 announcement and december release could happen, but probably it is 2021 at earliest

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure you're aware of this but Fire Emblem is not history; Intelligent Systems chose to use it as a plot point when they could have used just about any other method to showcase how evil the villains were. Just because they included something that happened in the real world doesn't somehow justify its inclusion nor is it a defense for the execution of said inclusion, especially when it's intertwined with Deirdre's lack of agency within the story.

P.S. Attributing all of Fire Emblem: Seisen No Keifu's qualities, positive or otherwise, to Kaga alone does a disservice to the many other people who worked on that game, be it Gunpei Yokoi, Tohru Narihiro or other staff members of Intelligent Systems, former or current. If you'd like to discuss this further, we can do so in the appropriate thread because i'd prefer not to derail this any further than to say that Three Houses always gave me the impression that they were going to remake Seisen No Keifu shortly afterwards, be it once the DLC was wrapped up or working on the two at the same time.
The same could be said for a vast majority of plot points and devices in any game not just Fire emblem. There are many games that contain mature, dark, taboo themes. How do you think stories are developed during the creative process, especially in one like fire emblem? Finding inspiration from history/ historical accounts.

But before I go any further. For the sake of seriousness. I will ask this only once.

Is this post of yours serious or in jest?

your answer will decide whether I continue or just stop right here.

I'm leaning towards the latter atm.
And to give you a freebie. Fire emblem has not been the same since Kaga left. For worse imo. Only Tellius can stand proud but even that game has its issues. I enjoy TH for example but there are too many issues that I feel that hurt the game a lot that could have been avoided if...

Well that's enough for now.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The same could be said for a vast majority of plot points and devices in any game not just Fire emblem. There are many games that contain mature, dark, taboo themes. How do you think stories are developed during the creative process, especially in one like fire emblem? Finding inspiration from history/ historical accounts.

But before I go any further. For the sake of seriousness. I will ask this only once.

Is this post of yours serious or in jest?

your answer will decide whether I continue or just stop right here.

I'm leaning towards the latter atm.
And to give you a freebie. Fire emblem has not been the same since Kaga left. For worse imo. Only Tellius can stand proud but even that game has its issues. I enjoy TH for example but there are too many issues that I feel that hurt the game a lot that could have been avoided if...

Well, this is a hell of a swerve dragging a conversation in from the Three Houses OT. But based on your comment, you sound like one of those Kaga worshippers that think the series is just unilaterally worse without him regardless.

Let it go. He's never returning to the series and he only has himself to blame after setting every bridge between himself and Nintendo/IS on fire in a fit of brazen stupidity.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Ok Superboy Prime.

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is a hell of a swerve dragging a conversation in from the Three Houses OT. But based on your comment, you sound like one of those Kaga worshippers that think the series is just unilaterally worse without him regardless.

Let it go. He's never returning to the series and he only has himself to blame after setting every bridge between himself and Nintendo/IS on fire in a fit of brazen stupidity.
Not a worshipper. It's just... I miss good, well written stories with villains that are believable and competent. That and well I'm not really a fan of Waifu Emblem as it currently is now. It can be more. Fire emblem should strive for more. Yet now it undeniably caters to waifu fools for better or worse since awakening.

Worse, same fools defend their waifus regardless of optics or facts. So discourse sucks. Fates and TH are especially guilty of this. Less discourse about plot and more about waifus. Its honestly sickening.

And I disagree. Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn was hella ambitious imo and can compete with Kaga emblem. Heck, they remain my favorite FE games to this day. PoR and RD prove IS don't need Kaga. So why can't they match up as successive games imo don't stack against tellius. Awakening, fates, and to an extent three houses all fall short for different, varying reasons.
Kaga made gaiden let's not forget
Didn't I say I disliked Gaiden? Not everyone has a spotless record and Kaga sure as hell ain't spotless. Disliked Gaiden. I also got beef with him on mystery of the emblem though I did enjoy the game regardless. I enjoyed all games except gaiden/echoes, FE7.
I see. A troll. My first impression was the correct one after all.

No point discussing further.

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Not a worshipper. It's just... I miss good, well written stories with villains that are believable and competent. That and well I'm not really a fan of Waifu Emblem as it currently is now. It can be more. Fire emblem should strive for more. Yet now it undeniably caters to waifu fools for better or worse since awakening.

Worse, same fools defend their waifus regardless of optics or facts. So discourse sucks. Fates and TH are especially guilty of this. Less discourse about plot and more about waifus. Its honestly sickening.

Didn't I say I disliked Gaiden? Not everyone has a spotless record and Kaga sure as hell ain't spotless. Disliked Gaiden. I also got beef with him on mystery of the emblem though I did enjoy the game regardless. I enjoyed all games except gaiden/echoes, FE7

You're the troll insulting fans for their preferences and an unwillingness to see positive aspects of the later games. Like, you can't expect to be taken seriously id you put Three Houses on the same level as Fates. You're just being aggressive and ridiculous for the sake of it.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Didn't I say I disliked Gaiden? Not everyone has a spotless record and Kaga sure as hell ain't spotless. Disliked Gaiden. I also got beef with him on mystery of the emblem though I did enjoy the game regardless. I enjoyed all games except gaiden/echoes, FE7

The reason "the discourse sucks" is because of people like you; you are demonstrably not interested in a discussion, you just want to rant about The Good Ol' Days™. You started this all by talking about how you wish Kaga would be a part of a Seisen No Keifu remake since you don't trust modern Intelligent Systems to handle it properly.

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
You're the troll insulting fans for their preferences and an unwillingness to see positive aspects of the later games. Like, you can't expect to be taken seriously id you put Three Houses on the same level as Fates. You're just being aggressive and ridiculous for the sake of it.
Alright I'll bite.

Three Houses suffers from waifuism the same as fates and awakening. We ain't talking gameplay here. The story is much stronger than fates but the waifuism that plagues fates remains ever present in three houses. This you are not able to deny. Especially as it's unavoidable when the protagonist is once again an avatar player. Three Houses is a step in the right direction but there are certain things that still hurt it. By no means am I saying three houses is a bad game. That's a notion that you somehow came up with for w/e reason. But there are certain flaws that can't be ignored that hurt the game.

How the villains are handled. How the motivations vs character choices match. Why did X character did this or that. And ofc the blatant waifuism.

If you're gonna defend why TWSITD just sat on their ass for most of part 2 was good writing well good luck with that. There's a huge difference between sitting patiently in the throne room in a castle waiting for your big confrontation against the protagonist and his/her friends vs being able to nuke someone at any time with near impunity the moment they're outside Garrech Mach Monastery.

With the former you can make the argument that as a king/Queen/emperor/empress/etc that said ruler or person with authority has to well... Administer said authority. Why do you think a ruler appoints generals? Because a ruler literally has better things to do such as rule their nation. Could said Commander in chief be more proactive? Absolutely. But would that also be abandoning their duty as sovereign to play war games? Equally valid as well. Whether that's right or wrong can be up for interpretation but at minimum it wouldn't be bad writing.

What's bad writing is having confirmed that Byleth is alive and well post timeskip and letting that person walk free when you can snipe the poor sod with javelins of light whenever they leave Garrech Mach. Having ample time (months) to do so as well. Great bridge of myrdinn. Arianrhod. Gronder field. Enbarr. Fhirdiad. Any bloody skirmish on the side where Byleth leaves Garrech mach. And proceed to do nothing. when TWSITD specialize in secrecy and espionage so they aren't lacking for spies that can inform them of Byleth's whereabouts.

And thats just one of many issues I take with three houses. Still a fantastic game and I will defend it. But I will not be blind to it's problems and it does has some problems.

Ofc anyone who has seen me point this out already in the TH thread would already know this. It's an old beaten horse.

I will ignore your slander about trolling. You are misunderstanding my intention and hopefully you will understand me better after reading this post. If not... A shame but oh well.

Ftr because apparently I'm being misunderstood here, I enjoy all but gaiden/echoes and FE7.

Yes that means I also like fates. Yes, All three routes even. I'm probably the only one on this forum who will defend conquest's plot as well the decision to make revelations the canon route/having a Canon route. Such is the pains of being a fire emblem lunatic. Even more so when I have to replay the games that I don't like just to remind myself why I don't like it *looks at gaiden/FE7*

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Alright I'll bite.

Three Houses suffers from waifuism the same as fates and awakening. We ain't talking gameplay here. The story is much stronger than fates but the waifuism that plagues fates remains ever present in three houses. This you are not able to deny. Especially as it's unavoidable when the protagonist is once again an avatar player. Three Houses is a step in the right direction but there are certain things that still hurt it. By no means am I saying three houses is a bad game. That's a notion that you somehow came up with for w/e reason. But there are certain flaws that can't be ignored that hurt the game.

How the villains are handled. How the motivations vs character choices match. Why did X character did this or that. And ofc the blatant waifuism.

If you're gonna defend why TWSITD just sat on their ass for most of part 2 was good writing well good luck with that. There's a huge difference between sitting patiently in the throne room in a castle waiting for your big confrontation against the protagonist and his/her friends vs being able to nuke someone at any time with near impunity the moment they're outside Garrech Mach Monastery.

With the former you can make the argument that as a king/Queen/emperor/empress/etc that said ruler or person with authority has to well... Administer said authority. Why do you think a ruler appoints generals? Because a ruler literally has better things to do such as rule their nation. Could said Commander in chief be more proactive? Absolutely. But would that also be abandoning their duty as sovereign to play war games? Equally valid as well. Whether that's right or wrong can be up for interpretation but at minimum it wouldn't be bad writing.

What's bad writing is having confirmed that Byleth is alive and well post timeskip and letting that person walk free when you can snipe the poor sod with javelins of light whenever they leave Garrech Mach. Having ample time (months) to do so as well. Great bridge of myrdinn. Arianrhod. Gronder field. Enbarr. Fhirdiad. Any bloody skirmish on the side where Byleth leaves Garrech mach. And proceed to do nothing. when TWSITD specialize in secrecy and espionage so they aren't lacking for spies that can inform them of Byleth's whereabouts.

And thats just one of many issues I take with three houses. Still a fantastic game and I will defend it. But I will not be blind to it's problems and it does has some problems.

Ofc anyone who has seen me point this out already in the TH thread would already know this. It's an old beaten horse.

I will ignore your slander about trolling. You are misunderstanding my intention and hopefully you will understand me better after reading this post. If not... A shame but oh well.

Ftr because apparently I'm being misunderstood here, I enjoy all but gaiden/echoes and FE7.

Yes that means I also like fates. Yes, All three routes even. I'm probably the only one on this forum who will defend conquest's plot as well the decision to make revelations the canon route/having a Canon route. Such is the pains of being a fire emblem lunatic. Even more so when I have to replay the games that I don't like just to remind myself why I don't like it *looks at gaiden/FE7*
Claiming "waifuism" isn't even an argument. That's not a character analysis. That's thoughtless nonsense.

TWSITD take a back seat for most of the second half, true, but it's not like Thales can just launch javelins with impunity. They're physical weapons and, as far as we know, there's a finite stock of them and so they have to be selective with their targets. Yes, even if that means not killing Byleth from orbit at Garreg Mach, because they can't be sure that plan would even work, and they don't want to attract any more attention to themselves than necessary. How this is somehow more egregious than the chain of poor decisions Corrin makes in Fates that are only absolved because the plot dictates they never suffer for mistakes they make, I have no idea, because your defense of Fates is literally "I like Fates."

Which is fine. You can like Fates. But you aren't arguing anything particular in its favor.

And it's not like there wouldn't be waifu wars over characters in a Genealogy remake regardless.

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
Claiming "waifuism" isn't even an argument. That's not a character analysis. That's thoughtless nonsense.

TWSITD take a back seat for most of the second half, true, but it's not like Thales can just launch javelins with impunity. They're physical weapons and, as far as we know, there's a finite stock of them and so they have to be selective with their targets. Yes, even if that means not killing Byleth from orbit at Garreg Mach, because they can't be sure that plan would even work, and they don't want to attract any more attention to themselves than necessary. How this is somehow more egregious than the chain of poor decisions Corrin makes in Fates that are only absolved because the plot dictates they never suffer for mistakes they make, I have no idea, because your defense of Fates is literally "I like Fates."

Which is fine. You can like Fates. But you aren't arguing anything particular in its favor.

And it's not like there wouldn't be waifu wars over characters in a Genealogy remake regardless.
Well do you recall anyone like say... Camilla in previous FE games before fates for example? I sure as heck don't. A character who fawns and panders to the player avatar specifically and is well... Overbearing regardless of relation? Don't get me wrong. I like Camilla but I can't ignore that she is waifubait. Heck she was most recently voted #1 in a FEH survey as "the hero you wish were your sibling." That made me cringe. Especially since I know she was a popular s rank support in fates. I doubt the people who voted in that survey genuinely wanted her as a proper sister. These cats got ulterior, degenerate motives. Ftr when I say waifu emblem I refer to Awakening - Three Houses. Let's get that outta the way.

Oh that's right. I made the fate arguments in the old forum all those years ago. Fine I'll repost. I always took conquest as "what if Camus was your older stepbrother and you decided to stick with the family you grew up with because that Camus archetype rubbed off on you and well you grew up with said family". It's not unreasonable. Hell it's understandable. It is as Kamui/Corrin says. He doesn't want to raise his sword against the only family that he grew up with. For the sake of family, Many people do questionable things and history is full of examples of this. I really appreciated the Camus angle in the conquest story. Loyalty to your nation, regardless of the ruler in charge will inevitably have you do things you will not be proud of. Even if you are against war, you are still a knight or in this case a prince/princess of Nohr. I saw a lot of Camus in Xander. So that helped a lot.

Conquest actually plays out pretty well a what if scenario I've always thought about since knowing Camus of Grust. And the story was pretty good despite Azura plot choices. I really liked the reveal of Garon in the throne room. Played out exactly as I expected it would. Was the predictable? Probably. And that's perfectly fine if it is done well. I thought it was done well. Though I doubt many saw "I AM BETRAYAL" coming. Not like that anyways.

I like and dislike the player avatar concept. On one hand a customized unit that you can train to tailor to your stragetic needs. On the other hand, shipping and waifuism may hurt the story and hurt the characters. Can make a character a one note personality which is not okay in a game like Fire Emblem. A character should not almost completely revolve around the player avatar or be a one trick personality. Tharja, Camilla comes into mind. Edelgard as well to an extent. Especially considering how almost everyone in TH metaphorically prostrates/wanks over Byleth in time which is the result of Byleth being the player avatar.

I have more thoughts but.. I'll stop here for now. But for those who are willing to answer, who are your top 3 villains in Fire Emblem excluding TH? For me it's in this order: Lekain, Arvis, Gharnef.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
The only good thing Conquest did is that the final boss isn't another damn dragon. Otherwise, it is one of the worst stories I have ever played. I gotta agree, though, that having the Avatar, Corrin, as the main lord, was quite stupid. But it could have still worked. The Nohr siblings are fine for the most part (except Camilla. Fuck her, one of the worst characters in Fates. Hinoka, who hardly has a presence, is way more enjoyable than Camilla), but the biggest problem of Conquest, besides Corrin and the stupid decision Azura and Corrin make that start the second half, is Garon. And Iago. Hans I don't care too much; he could have worked as the brute. But Garon and Iago were obviously evil. They didn't hide it at all. They didn't hide how they hated Corrin and wanted her dead. It makes you wonder how Corrin could still work for a person that was doing his best to kill her.

For starters, Conquest could have worked better if Garon was more subtle. Same with Iago. Not MUAHAHAHAH, I'M EVIL! Be more subtle. Show he wants to conquest Hoshido because he wants to save his people or some shit like that, but as the story unravels, you learn his desire to conquest Hoshido is only because he wants power or something like that. It may sound cliché, but at least it works. But don't write and show a story that doesn't make sense at all.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Well do you recall anyone like say... Camilla in previous FE games before fates for example? I sure as heck don't. A character who fawns and panders to the player avatar specifically and is well... Overbearing regardless of relation? Don't get me wrong. I like Camilla but I can't ignore that she is waifubait. Heck she was most recently voted #1 in a FEH survey as "the hero you wish were your sibling." That made me cringe. Especially since I know she was a popular s rank support in fates. I doubt the people who voted in that survey genuinely wanted her as a proper sister. These cats got ulterior, degenerate motives. Ftr when I say waifu emblem I refer to Awakening - Three Houses. Let's get that outta the way.

Oh that's right. I made the fate arguments in the old forum all those years ago. Fine I'll repost. I always took conquest as "what if Camus was your older stepbrother and you decided to stick with the family you grew up with because that Camus archetype rubbed off on you and well you grew up with said family". It's not unreasonable. Hell it's understandable. It is as Kamui/Corrin says. He doesn't want to raise his sword against the only family that he grew up with. For the sake of family, Many people do questionable things and history is full of examples of this. I really appreciated the Camus angle in the conquest story. Loyalty to your nation, regardless of the ruler in charge will inevitably have you do things you will not be proud of. Even if you are against war, you are still a knight or in this case a prince/princess of Nohr. I saw a lot of Camus in Xander. So that helped a lot.

Conquest actually plays out pretty well a what if scenario I've always thought about since knowing Camus of Grust. And the story was pretty good despite Azura plot choices. I really liked the reveal of Garon in the throne room. Played out exactly as I expected it would. Was the predictable? Probably. And that's perfectly fine if it is done well. I thought it was done well. Though I doubt many saw "I AM BETRAYAL" coming. Not like that anyways.

I like and dislike the player avatar concept. On one hand a customized unit that you can train to tailor to your stragetic needs. On the other hand, shipping and waifuism may hurt the story and hurt the characters. Can make a character a one note personality which is not okay in a game like Fire Emblem. A character should not almost completely revolve around the player avatar or be a one trick personality. Tharja, Camilla comes into mind. Edelgard as well to an extent. Especially considering how almost everyone in TH metaphorically prostrates/wanks over Byleth in time which is the result of Byleth being the player avatar.

I have more thoughts but.. I'll stop here for now. But for those who are willing to answer, who are your top 3 villains in Fire Emblem excluding TH? For me it's in this order: Lekain, Arvis, Gharnef.
Camilla has no connection to Three Houses, which had completely different character designers and different writing teams. You're not making any convincing arguments here. The only thing you're really doing is muddling your argument when you're trying to paint Three Houses characterization with the same brush as Fates. You're also ignoring the existence of Shadows of Valentia in between Fates and Three Houses. Yes, it's a remake, and you stated before you don't like it, but again, it also isn't Fates in terms of its writing or characters.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I still can't get over Xander having the gall to say "this war isn't simply black or white" after Nohr's forces had committed various war crimes like the slaughter of innocent civilians (many of whom were children). Say what you want about Birthright's generally average storytelling, it isn't intellectually insulting with its pretentious dialogue about the consequences of war (which has been done better by the likes of Shadow Dragon and the Sacred Stones) or contrivances like the crystal that reveals Garon's true form.

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
Camilla has no connection to Three Houses, which had completely different character designers and different writing teams. You're not making any convincing arguments here. The only thing you're really doing is muddling your argument when you're trying to paint Three Houses characterization with the same brush as Fates. You're also ignoring the existence of Shadows of Valentia in between Fates and Three Houses. Yes, it's a remake, and you stated before you don't like it, but again, it also isn't Fates in terms of its writing or characters.
So you're going to just ignore the cons that the player avatar brings into the plot. The fates petting feature(replaced with blowing air to your s rank waifu/husbando in America), the swimsuits, bikinis, awakening's swimsuit dlc, the three houses tea time where you can stare, glance, literally gawk at your waifu? The maid/butler outfits where you can now train your waifu/husbando to be a good, submissive servant/waifu/husbando?

Did it not occur to you that despite having different writing teams, IS finds ways to pander to the waifu/husbandoshills starting from awakening? Are you really gonna be this obtuse about this? You're just going to ignore all of that and say I'm muddling my arguments.

Should I laugh or sigh? Not sure here.

Ah that's right. Shadows of valentia released between fates and three houses. Forgot about that.
Wait a second...

You don't have a problem with Celica's character and Alm being something of a Gary Stu? Or how the side characters gravitate around the two? The constant damsel in distress and that alm is always right? The sexist undertones the game had? You don't have a problem with none of that? because it sure as heck wasn't fixed in echoes.

This post has been quite illuminating.
I still can't get over Xander having the gall to say "this war isn't simply black or white" after Nohr's forces had committed various war crimes like the slaughter of innocent civilians (many of whom were children). Say what you want about Birthright's generally average storytelling, it isn't intellectually insulting with its pretentious dialogue about the consequences of war (which has been done better by the likes of Shadow Dragon and the Sacred Stones) or contrivances like the crystal that reveals Garon's true form.
You're not supposed to take that seriously and be quiet about it. In fact your reaction is the correct one. What else does a soldier or in this case a prince can do when he does something he doesn't like or think is right? He tries to convince himself that this is war. That justice is an illusion. Or some come up with some other kind of bs excuse to justify himself to his own conscious. How many people who have seen war and did questionable things said something similar to themselves? War sucks. Even worse when war crimes are committed. Xander may have been prince but that prince still answers to a king who is higher up the chain of command. And the king overruled him often in conquest in case you don't remember that well. It's not right and its not justifiable. But it happens all the same.

But the fact that you have the right reaction is a good thing. You've done well. I've actually seen others not get it and actually shill the excuses. Imagine unironically touting justice is an illusion. Massive yikes.

I don't recall criticizing birthright's story? Maybe a villain or two in terms of competency which may hurt the story but the story itself is relatively fine. Story could be told better however if having better, competent villains which is the main crux of my gripes. You can't tell me garon or Iago are memorable villains worth remembering. Well maybe Iago because his "I'm afraid it's not possible" is forever etched in my memory due how hilarious it sounds every time he says it.

The less said about anankos the better.

You say birthright story is generally average... Care to share what makes you think that? What were you happy or dissatisfied about it? How do you feel about Revelations?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
FE as a game has been sexist since Kaga, it has gender locked classes still for who knows what reason
Funny enough Fates was the first, and only, game that did away with gender locked classes. I guess there is still the dlc but for the most part it was a step in the right direction in that aspect that 3H unfortunately reversed

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
FE as a game has been sexist since Kaga, it has gender locked classes still for who knows what reason
Funny enough Fates was the first, and only, game that did away with gender locked classes. I guess there is still the dlc but for the most part it was a step in the right direction in that aspect that 3H unfortunately reversed
Fuck male Pegasus Knights. Men aren't good enough for that role.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Three House's gender-locked classes are especially odd when you consider they decided to make the dancer class gender neutral (and I don't count bard or other male equivalents of that class, the dancer has been exclusive to women throughout the series) but Pegasus Knights, Heros, Gremory, etc. assigned to men or women, which also has implications in regards to gender identity in that game.

So I can be a manly dancer but a Gremory can't be a man striking a pose? Pah!

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Three House's gender-locked classes are especially odd when you consider they decided to make the dancer class gender neutral (and I don't count bard or other male equivalents of that class, the dancer has been exclusive to women throughout the series) but Pegasus Knights, Heros, Gremory, etc. assigned to men or women, which also has implications in regards to gender identity in that game.

So I can be a manly dancer but a Gremory can't be a man striking a pose? Pah!
Indeed, it is one of the most idiotic choices they made. Lysithea is one of the most proficient magic units in the entire game, and I can't turn her into a dark mage? Like, what the hell?

Also, yes, Fire Emblem is quite sexist. Ignoring avatars, how many female lords are in the series? Or actually, the one and only lord in the entire game.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Indeed, it is one of the most idiotic choices they made. Lysithea is one of the most proficient magic units in the entire game, and I can't turn her into a dark mage? Like, what the hell?

Also, yes, Fire Emblem is quite sexist. Ignoring avatars, how many female lords are in the series? Or actually, the one and only lord in the entire game.
Which is to say nothing of how many of those women are characterized/treated in their respective games i.e. Leila in Fire Emblem being fridged, literally everything involving Deirdre in Seisen No Keifu, etc.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The funniest thing about pegasus riders is that in the legend the one that rides pegasus is a man

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Happy 24th anniversary to the GOAT

EYATTHYWAAgsoU7

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How is the translation of Genealogy of the Holy War? I heard that there were at least 2 of them, and don't know which one is the better. Also if it is playable on the snes mini