• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

toutoune134

Nov 7, 2017
Article from Sensor Tower

Fire Emblem Heroes from Nintendo has surpassed $1 billion in lifetime global player spending since its launch on February 2, 2017, Sensor Tower Store Intelligence data reveals.

The RPG is the first of the console giant's mobile games to hit the milestone, accounting for 54.5 percent of its total mobile revenue to date. Mario Kart Tour, Nintendo's last release on the platform, ranks as Nintendo's No. 2 top grossing title, picking up $282 million, while Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp ranks No. 3 with $281.6 million.

all-time-global-player-spending-nintendo-mobile-games-june-2022.jpg

More in the article

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I got really in to it some years back but got pretty bored with most characters being too similar and the gameplay not being gripping enough, if it only had the animation and combat from the actual games.

Nucarn

Jan 15, 2020
Belgium
I am not even sure if Nintendo understands how they made a gold mine with this one. It's honestly a fine mobile game, even if it's like a fire emblem 'lite' take on the formula.

I stopped playing as I kinda lost interest in the grind.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'm a very tiny part of it

Crazy how other Nintendo mobile games including Mario Kart couldn't become big

Parshias

Oct 25, 2017
We are likely at the point where Fire Emblem Heroes has generated more money than all of the traditional Fire Emblem games put together. At least in this instance we never have to worry about Intelligent Systems abandoning new console games to focus on mobile since they need to keep making new console Fire Emblems to create new characters to turn into barely dressed 'armor' units put in the mobile game.

I quit the game ages ago and want nothing to do with all the power creep they added but that's clearly what keeps the whales hooked so what can you do.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
People just love seeing Fire Emblem characters in swimsuits only.

It's that lucrative?

Damn.
Honestly, it helps highlight how much of a logistical failure Dragalia Lost was in the end as a result of CyGames being so stubborn about not localizing it into more markets and Nintendo not pushing them harder to do so. Who knows how well it could have actually done in the end had they done what should have been the bare minimum.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I got bored of it after two weeks of playing it, and I was extremely hyped for it. They solved the problem of new characters basically being just FatesAwakening cast over time, but the gameplay was so boring, and it was a big wasted opportunity to make the story a nothingburger. It legitimately felt like stripped down mainline FE.

I only hope the frequent shitposts of Heroes's outstanding success delaying the release of mainline games is just that, a shitpost.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
honestly... by mobile standards, 1bn over 5 years is very good, but hardly massive if you release worldwide

(which really puts nintendo's other mobile offerings into perspective)

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, it helps highlight how much of a logistical failure Dragalia Lost was in the end as a result of CyGames being so stubborn about not localizing it into more markets and Nintendo not pushing them harder to do so. Who knows how well it could have actually done in the end had they done what should have been the bare minimum.
I think Dragalia's co-op focus was always going to limit its appeal. Bosses that can one shot players + balanced around 4 players being alive + even good players needing specific characters to keep up with new endgame progression was always going to hurt it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I got bored of it after two weeks of playing it, and I was extremely hyped for it. They solved the problem of new characters basically being just FatesAwakening cast over time, but the gameplay was so boring, and it was a big wasted opportunity to make the story a nothingburger. It legitimately felt like stripped down mainline FE.

I only hope the frequent shitposts of Heroes's outstanding success delaying the release of mainline games is just that, a shitpost.
If anything Heroes wants Nintendo/IS/KT/etc to get these games out faster so they can continue to stock the market with fresh, new waifu pngs.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
Yeah, guilty as charged with helping with that a few years ago. I've fallen off the game though, the powercreep has gotten out of control. Characters can just bullshit ways of moving 5 spaces, get +5 to all stats for existing, debuff everything within 10 miles, and have ability descriptions as concise as a book now.

Really fantastic game when I played it though, taking out the RNG element of hit percentage was a brilliant idea and made the tactical aspect shine more than most FE games where you can be stumped by a 30% miss or something.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've not played in like two or three years, so maybe that new membership is semi-worth buying for folk who don't buy Orb packs for pulls.. but man, I never understood people who spent money on FEH. The value proposition was terrible compared to anything else I'd played or have played since. Partially because they were kind about free Orbs, mostly because it was like $15 to do a single five pull… and five pulls were the worst thing to do if aiming for a certain Unit. Which means it was more like $20 for a five pull if you had to back out of your summon pool.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i dont spend any money but whenever they add characters i'm even vaguely interested in i get in there and do some pulls with free gems you save up over time (it's never enough for anything even halfway decent of course)

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I've not played in like two or three years, so maybe that new membership is semi-worth buying for folk who don't buy Orb packs for pulls.. but man, I never understood people who spent money on FEH. The value proposition was terrible compared to anything else I'd played or have played since. Partially because they were kind about free Orbs, mostly because it was like $15 to do a single five pull… and five pulls were the worst thing to do if aiming for a certain Unit. Which means it was more like $20 for a five pull if you had to back out of your summon pool.
Well, now all standard banners allow you to outright choose a character once you get to 40 pulls (and even the special ones if you're under the subscription). Also character skins that can only be bought (or as part of the subscription).

I like how Heroes' gameplay completely eliminates random factors. But, yeah, the story is extremely stripped down compared to mainline FE games. Forging bonds somewhat help with character interaction but they don't realy make up for it.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
GROSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Why do you people have to spend so damn much on mobile games

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

if I remember correctly, the real problem was Nintendo limiting the monitization of Dragalia Lost. the territories that DL didn't launch in weren't big spenders at the time so it wouldn't have helped

Metal Gear?!

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Can't they just make their own characters?
They do make their own characters, but I imagine a fresh batch of new characters from a AAA Fire Emblem console release is basically a big advertising push for a game that doesn't seem to have much of an advertising budget?

Like RAID SHADOWLANDS ads are everywhere, FEH not so much?

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who previously fell into the gatcha trap years ago but has been 5 years clean, that profit is insane. I was a small part of this massive profit. I've probably spent 10k between this, FFBE, and Seven Deadly Sins. So glad to be free of this madness.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I have played many gacha games at this point but this one has the honor of being the only game I've quit in absolute disgust at how blatant the money grubbing got. So, well done and congratulations, lol

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
I meant in terms of the mobile gaming landscape. Last year the industry made nearly 100 billion dollars. In a single year.

Ok but that comparison gets silly it's like coming to a Nier Automata sales thread and claiming that selling 6 million is pennies when there are hundreds of millions console games selling every year.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I mean, FEH is no Genshin Impact, but the reason why 1 billion is absolutely ludicrous because of the low investment for updates. They essentially use their entire budget in hiring artists for full-body shots each month and two CG cutscenes every year. Most gacha games would dream for that kind of profit relative to the money and effort that is being actually invested into the project.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Can't they just make their own characters?

Heroes' story is very simplified compared to mainline FE. They make up their own characters, but there aren't many for each story chapter, and their appeal is also limited by how barebones the stories are. It's why they still heavily rely on console FE games for the big banners.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I have played many gacha games at this point but this one has the honor of being the only game I've quit in absolute disgust at how blatant the money grubbing got. So, well done and congratulations, lol

From all the ones I've tried FEH is the most "generous". I have about 500 free gems saved up lol

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no, I contributed!

It's the only mobile game I funneled money into.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, FEH is no Genshin Impact, but the reason why 1 billion is absolutely ludicrous because of the low investment for updates. They essentially use their entire budget in hiring artists for full-body shots each month and two CG cutscenes every year. Most gacha games would dream for that kind of profit relative to the money and effort that is being actually invested into the project.
mobile games are getting to the point where they're costing as much as console games. the returns must be pretty impressive

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
I played FEH religiously for the first year it was out. It's actually a fun game, but I fell off of it because of the insane power creep. I did not spend large amounts of real money, it's basically impossible to be competitive if you don't.

F/GO is the game that has taken tons of money from me. I do have some regrets, but at least my units have long term value.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have spent a good amount and will happily continue to do so. Play it every day and want to support it :)

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada

Havent played FEH but my friend tells me Heroes is the most generous game out there lol. Games like FGO have no pity system and Genshin primos are mad expensive especially if you want a certain character.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I haven't played since Seven Deadly Sins Grand Cross came out 2 years ago or so and took over for me as my daily gacha, but I only spent something like $15 on FEH in 3 years or so and I had A LOT of the characters. They were very generous with free currency and the pull rates seemed quite solid. Dragalia Lost was a little better than it in that regard, but I never once felt exploited by FEH.

Realistically if you spend $60-100 a year on a gacha and play it daily, you're getting a helluva lot better deal than buying a game on your console you'll play for a few weeks or a month if we're being honest. I've spent like $60 on SDSGC which is honestly probably equal to every other gacha I've played.. but I've played it for probably a thousand hours. The value of gacha games is generally astronomically high if you don't become an addict/whale.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I assume about $900 million of that was from Gatekeeper.
Dragalia had a lot of other things holding it back, it was never going to be a massive game. New IP that was fine but really not anything particularly special or unique, gameplay that wasn't all that well suited for mobile habits, not lucrative enough business model, not many crossovers, etc.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017

Really? I log in everyday without having spent a cent on this game and as others have said, it's one of the most generous gachas out there. Pretty good chances of getting decent characters/the ones you want, and the game hands you free orbs like there's no tomorrow.