• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
I mean, LAlm is clearly designed as a PP unit but, even then, he doesn't have that much less Def than either Leon or Jamke and he makes up that difference on Res. For the CC Vantage build, +atk Alm has 4 atk over Jamke and 3 over Leon while having a broken special. Give him a Slaying Bow and he's probably very good at the CC Vantage role. Only on Res is Alm very outclassed by other archers like Niles, Faye and Innes who are, without question, better mage tanks than Alm.
  • Leon has more attack per mergeability. A neutral Alm has same attack as a +atk Leon, when both are unmerged. I'm using neutral Alm because I'm assuming f2p folks can't control the IV for 5 * exclusives
  • For archer cc/vantage, def is more important because you use archer cc/vantage for flier balls. For general cc/vantage, you use daggers for dagger 7 and cool daggers like broadleaf fan.
  • Leon can be blessed, so can be used consistently
I'm not saying Alm is necessarily worse Leon on AR-O--he does have a good special--but they're basically on par with each other. One is just much cheaper to build, so if you're looking for a CC/vantage archer for flier balls use the cheaper one.

If you're looking for a cc/vantage unit generally, you use daggers. Matthew with his prf (or Sothe with broadleaf) can add a lot of damage on EP that Alm isn't worth considering.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, sure, if I built a CC Vantage archer rn I'd go for Leon since I have him and can merge him but that's not the point. Right now I can go on AR and will probably fight a highly merged LAlm and he's much harder to face than any archer before him. I can also go on AR and fight highly merged Fallen Tiki, who's also insane because of her very annoying C skill + her stats.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree about powercreep, but to me it's simply evident that it exists and that it has been very prominent this year.

EDIT: I'm also not that fond of mergeability as an argument. It took me over a year to get my L'Arachel to +10, it takes several months to get enough grails to +10 someone. If I put the effort into orb saving I could probably get a 5* exclusive to +10 with the same amount of f2p-ness in a similar amount of time.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
Ah. I'm approaching powercreep more from a "does this unit offer enough power that I must summon for them?" perspective, i.e. how someone should spend their orbs. There I lean towards no, since most units have perfectly viable 3/4 alternatives you can make work. It's different when you consider what you have to face; Alm's player phase hits like a truck so you you absolutely need an answer to him going into AR. From the perspective of "what fresh hell do I need to learn to deal with this month?" power has been active--Tibarn, Alm, L!Eliwood, F!F!Corrin, probably Claude, B!Fjorm (on your AR-D) to name a few. Feh's meta is constantly changing, but you don't need 5 * exclusive units to counter them. As such, it feels more akin there's a growing number of threats, but not really a whole lot of obsoletion. Like as threatening as, say, Tibarn is, I really don't know who he replaced--galeforce melee cavs, I guess? But I digress.

In regards to mergeability, you're right that you don't save time, but you do save orbs. The main point behind mergeability is that most 5 * exclusives worth summoning for shouldn't need an edge in stats to standout; when it becomes a stat game, mergeability can close the gap. Nobody seriously considers Lugh over Nino because you can merge Nino to give her the strength's of Lugh's statline. Part of this applies to any 5 * unit: if you want their statline that badly, you can always save orbs by merging another unit. What a 3/4 unit can't ever gain is their prfs: any unit anyone would consider powercreep has a prf that defines them. Can you imagine Tibarn if he had a "silver beak" that didn't guarantee doubles? He'd be awkward and forgettable. L!Alm wouldn't be impactful if he had generic skills like slaying bow and moonbow; but his impact would really not be softened if he had Cordelia's statline number for number. Powercreep really needs to be understood at the level of skills, stats are honestly not that relevant as long as they compliment a prf. And it's mergeability in a f2p context that makes really make prfs the driver of powercreep.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Well guess it's "It's Curtains" for me in regards to the mythic banner. Somehow wound up with 2 HS!Ryomas in one session, without even increasing my pity rate lol!

It feels ironic to me that I haven't gotten a single version of Elise, any of my 2 desired versions of Camilla (Spring and Summer), any of Hinoka's alts, or any of Sakura's alts. And yet I managed to snag every version of Ryoma, Xander, Takumi and Leo. Does this game think I'm wanting the beefcakes lol?!

Debating if I should fodder off my extra copy; the one I will keep is DEF+, but has HP- which is a superbane.

Last edited:

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Huh that was unexpected. Finally great to see Genealogy being represented. It's not my "oh-so-desired" Master Knight Lachesis alt, but this is also great.

And interesting skill list.

• Dragon effective weapon (no surprise) but getting a +6 ATK/RES buff if her ATK is greater than the foe's, so already an ATK boon would be necessary.
  • Dragon Fang, would have preferr Draconic Aura
  • Mirror Impact
  • An exclusive B skill: -2 to all stats on foe as well as disabling bonuses and that effect prevents the targeting of the lower stat during combat.
  • And here we have a C skill sort of like Edelgard's except you are required to be adjacent to an ally and get +5 ATK/RES; armor and cavalry units can't inherit the skill.

Last edited:

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Holy crap! 180 BST more or less! LMAO!

So I can assume that makes 6 open spots for new legendary heroes now that there is now a new section for heroes that will outright get 180 BST?

Still missing fire hero that gives speed, an earth hero that gives res and a water unit with the 175 BST effect.

Guess my predictions for potential candidates as far as I know are Celica (since Alm is there), Xander (gotta rep Nohr, whilst Ryoma reps Hoshido), Seliph (now that L!Julia is a thing) and probably the 3 heads of the Officers Academy from 3H, post time skip.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Huh that was unexpected. Finally great to see Genealogy being represented. It's not my "oh-so-desired" Master Knight Lachesis alt, but this is also great.

And interesting skill list.

• Dragon effective weapon (no surprise) but getting a +6 ATK/RES buff of her ATK is greater than the foe's, so already an ATK boon would be necessary.
  • Dragon Fang, would have preferr Draconic Aura
  • Mirror Impact
  • An exclusive B skill -2 to all stats on foe as well as disabling bonuses and that effect prevents the targeting of the lower stat.
  • And here we have a C skill sort of like Edelgard's expect you are required to be adjacent to an ally and get +5 ATK/RES; armor and cavalry units can't inherit the skill.

Oof, that's a hard counter to a lot of dragons.

StAidan

Oct 25, 2017
Since no one's posted it yet, here's the August Feh Channel, introducing the new Brave Heroes and some other stuff:

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Eh guess I'll fodder my spare HS!Ryoma to my L!Ephraim. Build up on that Galeforce set! Just need an ATK nature Ephraim and feathers to upgrade one of my Cordelia manuals and fodder her off for Galeforce!

And I'll tell you what (speaking of units that can potentially get follow ups in some way) I honestly fear of desperation ends up being a sacred seal. That combined with an H!Jakob with a brave bow and bold fighter would be a nightmare of epic proportions!

Wonder if anyone is surprised to know that desperation doesn't technically guarantee follow ups. That description in-game is fucking vague!

Edit: Oooooooh! FEH Channel!

StAidan

Oct 25, 2017
My short reaction to the Feh Channel is as follows:

- Half-anniversary orbs and summon events, nothing wrong with that.
- Lost Lore mode is... click a button and wait 24 hours for rewards? Well... okay.
- Kind of already expected this before the reveal, but Brave Micaiah will be mine.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
It returns.

fire-emblem-gaiden.png

If it weren't for Valbar not being in the game, we'd have the entire cover recreated with the original designs - it's the same size as a Heroes team too.

Ahnez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They didn't show off Micaiahs prf skill. Its her B. Also, she is a flier, I guess its expected because Yune.

Btw, Alms prf skill is.. quite powerful - He had 62 atk with a visible buff, so I'm assuming he has 56, that already translates into 14 true damage on top of any damage he is already dealing

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
They look great! Though I got a feeling Camilla might be the one used on F2P guides. She has a staff with built in dazzling staff. That is all. And she's a flying healer too; and in the permanent summoning pool no less! Wonder how much she will power creep B!Fjorm.

And gotta wonder what Micaiah ended up as an exclusive skill. Will just have to be lucky and just snipe green.

The lore mode looks kind of interesting but can't complain with more rewards! Everything else I'm looking forward too!

Edit: B!Camilla has the gravity effect too! Holy shit! Not to mention a mini swift sparrow (something healers can't use!) and now that's what a call a great HP threshold for a powercrept push skill. Goddamn!

Interesting that Eliwood has a weapon that affects dragons and beasts! And swift sparrow 3 on the permanent summon pool too.

Lol blizzard effect for Micaiah and bond skills power crept to disable penalties during combat lol!

Alm looks to be pretty decent as well. A skill is something else.

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they stop using Brave heroes for F2P guides with the news that they are only free for 2 years

Also Micaiah is the best unit here, no bias

Hoagmaster

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit torn on who to pick for the free unit. Alm is the character I'm most invested in, and his weapon and A-Skill look slick. On the other hand, Camilla looks to be quite powerful with the Firesweep weapon and the effects it has on nearby foes.

I've got a while to mull it over, but this one may be the trickiest CYL pick I've made yet.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Using my free summon on Camilla for sure. Love all the art.

IKR! I was just kidding when I asked one time what would happen if Camilla turns out to be arguably the best of this year's Brave Heroes lol!

And skill lists:

Camilla has ATK/SPD Push 4, wrathful staff (of course!), ATK Tactic and Restore+.

Eliwood has Swift Sparrow 3, ATK/SPD Ruse, SPD opening, and rally ATK/DEF+.

Micaich has ATK/RES Bond 4, her exclusive B skill, ground orders (effectively in the permanent summoning pool) and sacrifice.

Alm has his unique A skill, Chill DEF, draconic aura and looks like we are getting duel threaten skills starting with Threaten ATK/SPD.

I stand corrected.

Last edited:

Jester37

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of leaning towards Eliwood, but the rest are also incredibly good. Gonna be a tough pick this time around.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like there's been dropping bombs again while i was sleeping. Could IS think about poor Bonejack just once?

DONG ARMOR!

Legendary Julia, interesting that they didn't go with Seliph, Sigurd of Leif.

Ah man, Camilla is a healer? Bummed, i really wanted her to be a thick armoured Queen of Nohr with Bölverk. Oh well, i guess she will be used in F2P guides, so i might get her for the free pull. I really want to have some merges for her though.

Dong Amor has a new threaten C-skill? Okay, strange skill line to evolve. Overall, this set of Brave Heroes feels less busted than the 2018 ones, more in line with the 2017 ones.
Gotta say, i like that Micaiah is green, now she's only lacking a colorless alt and then we would have full spectrum Thani.

Will try for Camilla and Micaiah, not too interested in the others. Free choice will be made regarding F2P guide maker picks. ^^

Now if you excuse me, i'm off to watch the Feh channel. ^^

E: I'm honest ... i love that little owl. I hope future FE games include her as a little easter egg. ^^

E2: A Counter skill banner? I ... do need CC for Kronya ...

E3:

Okay, maybe it's because i have to watch the video without sound due to being at work ... but i don't get what's that new mode for.

E4:

Again, maybe due to watching without sound, but when are the CYL3 heroes being dropped? Is it the new heroes banner next week?

Last edited:

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say we wait for stats. Very often, legendary/mythic heroes aren't really better than "regular" heroes of the same time, sometimes even downright underwhelming. After all, that BST boost is only for scoring.

Nov 7, 2017
Free/Ticket pulls tracker:

Day 1: Daily - 5* Rhajat; Hero Fest: Free Pull - 4* Lucius; Ticket - 5* Nailah

Last edited:

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Well the Hero fest banner was the first in a looooong time that made me want to bust out the war chest. Spent ~400 so far with another 60 to be spent alongside the remaining tickets. Really wanted Tibarn and still didn't have Surtr / Fallen Tiki. Nailah aka free Distant Counter / Null Disrupt would have been perfectly acceptable roll as well.

Ended up with Tibarn, Surtr x2, F!Tiki, Nailah x2, Maribelle (dupe) and Quan (dupe)

Was a great haul but unfornately IVs were very bad across the board. Both Surtrs were +SPD (lol) as was Tibarn. Tiki is -ATK too which is very unfortunate. Dumped the DCs on H!Myrrh and Laevertain because I'm stupid, I guess. Oh well, at least I have a non-dancer 5* beast who isn't Blue now! (Only had Nailah, Naesala and Selkie previously!)

Got another 500 orbs left for Brave Heroes which I assume will get me down to 0 again for the first time this year. Then its back to saving as I continue to slowly play this game less and less.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question about the GHB returns, if you clear Aversa's quest for the 4* version of her as the reward, the total amount of merges for her without using the grails shop should be +4, right?

Oct 25, 2017
I got squat so far, but my friend got a free Surtr, so good on them.

I'm glad I was able to knock out the Forging Bonds and Tap Battle before today - it looks like they're throwing a ton of content at us. Still have to start pairing up units for Lost Lore, finish up the LHBs... we're getting another Forging Bonds in less than a week, for crying out loud.

Quick question about the GHB returns, if you clear Aversa's quest for the 4* version of her as the reward, the total amount of merges for her without using the grails shop should be +4, right?
Three from the initial GHB, one from the GHB revivial quest, and now one from the Grand Hero Party quest.
Sounds about right.

Oliver's up to +5 now, but that's only because they gave away an Oliver for that Heroic Feats event back in October. They love this guy.

Hoagmaster

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thank Naga... After well over 160 orbs (I lost count) and a 12% summon rate, I finally pulled a Byleth, with neutral IVs funnily enough. I imagine whenever I get around to Three Houses and get the Byleth from that promotion, I'll fodder one of them off to give Distant Counter to my Lv. 40+10, 8 Dragonflowers Tiki with Breath of Fog.

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
In a touch of irony, my next AR win will put me to the grails needed to get my last Aversa. I'll probably hoard for a bit, though: my feather income means I need several months to actually get her to +10

Ahnez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dorcas and Keaton from the free summons. Curiously, those are my 3rd Dorcas and 3rd Keaton

Good start, lets hope it lasts

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
Eliwood, Odin, and 4 * Thea as free pulls. Whelp.

Although there are quite a few things I want from these banners, I'll wait until I get Ayra off the weekly revival (the 4% one). Swordhardt merge will be nice, and I'm hopeful the vantage banner is late enough to see late August heroes to see if there's anything I want there. But I want 600 orbs going into the legendary Julia banner because sniping on legendaries is awful.

But if all goes well, my Jugdral collection should finally be complete by the end of this month. September and October will be about saving.

Also, I remember doing the Oliver ghb when I first started the game and wasn't able to do it at all, beyond the easiest difficulty. I'm surprised how I was able to do the "mixed Emblem quest" and infernal difficultly on first try. I'll spend today doing sothis mhb, which has been in the back burner.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
I'll wait to have all the tickets before summoning from the Hero Fest banner. Meanwhile, I'll hoard orbs from every quest I can.
I WILL get my +10 Surtr, mark my words.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't chosen my free CYL2 unit yet. It's funny because I've managed to pull all of them on other banners already. I might take Celica for DB4 or Ephraim for Special Fighter.

Hero Fest banner is tempting because I don't have any of them, but there's still the 3H and mythic banners...

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Very dissapointed Camilla is not a flying green axe unit, oh well she may get that class if she (when she gets) a Legendary alt

Ahnez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Warning: Alm/Scendscale math below

On the channel, Alm had 62 atk, so I assumed he had a +6 buff, but that is likely wrong, because he had a 42/62/40/37/20 spread, subtracting 6 from atk/spd and 19 from atk, he ends at 42/37/34/37/20 - 170 BST. That it unlikely imo, he should have either 168 like other melee infantry (and the buff is a +7), or it is 172 like a trainee (with a +5 buff).

I'm leaning towards the 172 BST, because Eliwood/Micaiah/Camilla have higher BST than it should be for their classes. Micaiah and Camilla have 155 - while a recent flier mage like Summer Laevatein has 149. And Eliwood has 162, while Legendary Eliwood has 156. That means the buff is a +5, and Alm's attack without the buff and weapon is 38.

What this means is, with just a brave sword, his attack becomes 46 without buffs, not really impressive since he can't use DB3 because of Scendscale. Then lets give him the usual +6 atk visible buff - that is 52, which is already looking ok for a brave build.

Now, if he initiates against a 50 def unit with no triangle advantage/disadvantage, he usually would deal just 2x2 damage - basically nothing. But thanks to Scendscale, he also gets 13 true damage, so his final damage is 15x2 against a 50 def unit. If he had color advantage, his attack would be 62, causing 12x2 damage from the regular calculations, and 2x15 true damage, for a total of 27x2 damage - 54 damage total. And all that is against a 50 def unit - a number that usually only supertanks can reach - and no special taken into consideration.

If it was 40 def, which is more beliveable for non-supertanks tough units, with neutral matchup and the same 52 atk, it is 25x2 damage, 37x2 against green (and 11x2 against blue).

That was all considering a brave sword, as true damage pairs up very well it attacking twice. Using his prf or a slaying sword can also be very powerful.

tldr: I believe Scendscale can be really powerful if used correctly, and BST powercreep I guess

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
Ironic that CYL3 heroes have a BST powercreep considering we were just discussing that yesterday...

I hope we get some sort of Dragonflower boost for heroes that keep getting left behind. Poor Jagen will be like 15 BST behind Eliwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.