• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Update: Cover art. Full artwork can be found in post #14
D1x9JMUU0AAVFE9.jpg

Link to Amazon JP
320 pages. Apart from character arts, it also includes content on "My Room", in-game cutscenes and stories from all three route. Cover art has not been revealed yet.

Lock if old.

Last edited:

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Finally official character art! I love Kozaki's art and designs a lot, so much character in them.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I can almost guess the answer, but still, with a little ray of hope: Are there chances this gets translated and a release in the west?

*Prepares Amazon JP order just in case*

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Finally offical art for all the characters hopefully. I know it took a long time for games like 7, 8, and 10. The turn around was much quicker for Awakening.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh good, anther artbook to get. Kind of expensive, but worth it.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap, the Awakening artbook actually got translated? How did i miss this? So there's a good chance this will as well ... hmm i think i cancel the order on Amazon JP, take the gamble.

Comments from Yusuke Kozaki
OP
OP

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
https://serenesforest.net/2019/02/2...easing-25th-april-2019-message-yusuke-kozaki/

Unfortunately, not every character is getting their art published in this book
Original tweet:

...が、これだけはお伝えしないといけないのですが、個別イラストに関しまして、全てご用意出来ておりません。それを主に期待してご購入頂く方が居らっしゃると心苦しいので...その代わり、表紙になる予定の絵は、結構な大作を描きあげました
Translation from Serene Forest said:
But I should mention, not every character has an individual illustration. I know this is probably frustrating for those wishing to buy the book and expecting otherwise. To make up for that, I drew a spectacular piece for the book's cover.
Most important sentence would be "個別イラストに関しまして、全てご用意出来ておりません". While it can be interpreted as "not every character art will be included", it can also be interpreted as "not every illustration will be included". Illustration can be everything, from character art to cover of OST. Take it as you will.

全キャラパブイラストを掲載した物は、また機会を設けて作る予定...?とも仰っていたので、引き続きご期待とともお待ち頂けましたら幸いです。お待たせしてしまい、大変申し訳ございません。
Translation from Serene Forest said:
I'm planning to create another opportunity to release something that will have everyone's official artwork, perhaps? If you are able to continue waiting, I would be delighted. I am extremely sorry for making you all wait so long.
Keyword is パブイラスト, which is the abbreviation of パブリシティイラスト (PR artwork). He wants to draw a PR artwork which includes every character in the future, not for this artbook.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't like a lot about Fates, but the art was top notch; especially in comparison to what we've seen for Three Houses.

Guessing we'll get this sometime next year unless Dark Horse is able to work some magic to get this out later this year.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I can almost guess the answer, but still, with a little ray of hope: Are there chances this gets translated and a release in the west?

*Prepares Amazon JP order just in case*

Awakening did! However, this book seems to be releasing quite late, with two other major entries likely already out by the time it would be localized, so I'm not sure if that would affect a company's willingness to translate and release it outside of Japan.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That actually isn't the full artwork, it continues to the back and shows characters like Camilla and Odin. It is really great work from Kozaki, he really outdid himself with it.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It looks good but not really feeling it tbh. Kinda looks weird when you look close

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I wish they had kept the fates art style, its so much better than what three houses seems to be going for

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Yay they chose my favorite Corrin! I super hope that they release this in the West!

OP
OP

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I wish they had kept the fates art style, its so much better than what three houses seems to be going for
I would say change in art style is necessarily, on the other hand I am not sure if Chinatsu is good enough for the job. Three Houses makes me realize how hard it is to design the entire character lineup for a FE game, at the same time ensuring that each character stands out. Being an amateur artist, I think it is crucial that the character appearances match their personality. While I can guess the personality of the majority of Fates' characters just by looking at their appearances, so far, I am not sure if I am able to do that for characters from Three Houses.

Of course, character design is tricky and entirely subjective. It is just my personal preference.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say change in art style is necessarily, on the other hand I am not sure if Chinatsu is good enough for the job. Three Houses makes me realize how hard it is to design the entire character lineup for a FE game, at the same time ensuring that each character stands out. Being an amateur artist, I think it is crucial that the character appearances match their personality. While I can guess the personality of the majority of Fates' characters just by looking at their appearances, so far, I am not sure if I am able to do that for characters from Three Houses.

Of course, character design is tricky and entirely subjective. It is just my personal preference.
I dont mind the change in the overall aesthetic, but I like the individuality these games a lot more that what Three Houses has presented. All the characters look samey and bland due to the uniforms they went for, but even past that they are only really differentiated by their hair color. Maybe it plays into something within the game's setting and mechanics, but so far I am overall being really disappointed and seeing this reminds me just how good Fates did on the unique character design front in contrast

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
I dont mind the change in the overall aesthetic, but I like the individuality these games a lot more that what Three Houses has presented. All the characters look samey and bland due to the uniforms they went for, but even past that they are only really differentiated by their hair color. Maybe it plays into something within the game's setting and mechanics, but so far I am overall being really disappointed and seeing this reminds me just how good Fates did on the unique character design front in contrast
The males look cool imo

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Kozaki has been with the series for almost a gen now with 3 games now, it's not a surprise that people is too used to his artstyle now
So did the GBA and the Tellius artists, it didnt stop IS from changing. Also SoV wasnt Kozaki, I know it was a remake, but it was a good signal that the switch games wouldn't keep the art style

You have to be fair with 3Houses because we didn't play the game yet. With Fates we did so it is easier to know their personalities just looking b their appearances.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
People with waifu complexes like the female corrin
Simply isn't particularly interesting as a guy (the aesthetic just doesn't work as well, regardless of some here wanting to be dismissive of why most like the alternative better to shut down criticisms), not to mention that most games that give players a choice generally prioritize the male option in promotional materials anyway.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Artistically, Three Houses does look rather boring by comparison (characters as well as setting). Though I liked both Robins in spite of preferring female Robin, and have already commented on sharing the disinterest most have in male Corrin, neither Byleth is anything noteworthy to me.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Man I hope we get Echoes translated and released in the west at some point :(

But the cover for this looks great. Still need to play these games at some point, though I found like every sibling annoying in Warriors lmao (but Takumi is cute).