• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Good for them. Koei Tecmo could use a hit.

I thought it was fine for the cheaper price I got it at.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
I never believed it was a flop .. i always believed .. some people on the internet were in fanatsy land because of a couple of issues that aren't nearly game breaking.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good for them. Koei Tecmo could use a hit.

I thought it was fine for the cheaper price I got it at.

I got it for like £35 day 1 on Switch without having to look too hard. I've also seen the Special Edition be heavily discounted too, and the 3DS version has been at like sub-£20 for a while now. To be clear I'm not downplaying as I really like the game but I think its cheaper price due to price cuts can help its overall reception.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
I never believed it was a flop .. i always believed .. some people on the internet were in fanatsy land because of a couple of issues that aren't nearly game breaking.
The game dropped on every chart after it was released. Plus it just one week away before Mario Odyssey for the international audience. No wonder that most sales folks thought the game was a flop, regardless of the gameplay criticism.

Deleted member 21094

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just out of curiosity, what would you consider the best Musou games?
That actually depends on what I want out of the game

Nostalgia-wise I would probably go all the way back to DW2 or 3, where you can make your own character and my friends and I made ourselves and had a lot of fun together, I kinda miss that actually.

Orochi series is probably my guilty pleasure because of how batshit insane it is, it's just super chaotic overall, story and gameplay, iirc it's also one of the first musou to feature char swaps since it's team based.

I would say my favourite in terms of gameplay is probably Sengoku Musou 4 and 4-2, though god speed was probably a bit overtuned imo in 4, they did nerf it in 4-2, though I like the story in 4 alot more than 4-2...
Unless I missed something it also had alot of strategic parts with banner soldiers and stuff, can't remember if that came in DW first or not but it did make it feel a bit strategic.

I like FEW alot because of the strategic elements too, but it has other issues, mostly moveset and character problems that drags it down for me.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Good for them! I'm glad that they were able to pull through with it!

I didn't like the game, especially when it comes to choices that they've made for this game, and am honestly kind of perplexed that it sold so well, but I am ecstatic that they are pleased with the results! Hopefully this means we'll see more potential Musou fighters from different Nintendo IPs.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope this dont make they ignore other games again. Lack of Ike, Hector and Roy is terrible, and it makes me worried warriors 2 will be just more Fateswakening characters nobody cares like Oboro or Lissa

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope this dont make they ignore other games again. Lack of Ike, Hector and Roy is terrible, and it makes me worried warriors 2 will be just more Fateswakening characters nobody cares like Oboro or Lissa
She was very popular in Japan.

fire_emblem_fates_chab1r9a.jpg

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The game dropped on every chart after it was released. Plus it just one week away before Mario Odyssey for the international audience. No wonder that most sales folks thought the game was a flop, regardless of the gameplay criticism.

Even me who had loved the gameplay so much thought it flopped badly based by the chart. But it exceed all my expectation lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Wasn't expecting this. It has been a day of success stories for Nintendo.

Still going to wait for a Definitive Edition of this though.

Heart_Attack

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Pretty good game, but I'd rather have a Hyrule Warriors Sequel. Grats to Koei Tecmo. Their game output has been amazing this gen,

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oboro's one of my favorites so I'm glad she made it.

I'm just finishing up Echoes so I wouldn't mind more of those characters making it in, I wanna see some armor units

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Always believed it sold well. Era really had a hateboner for this game too (like they do for everything Fatesawakening related).

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully next time the dev team gets an actual budget to differentiate characters more next time, i can sort of understand 2 characters of the same class being similar, but there is no excuse for 2 different classes thta happen to use the same seapon to share a moveset.

Also, im surprised on how many people thought it bombed. It focused on fates and awakening, so it had way better chances that if it focused on older games.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well but Warriors didnt sell well in Japan, globaly she was out of the top 50 in the first CYL and out of the top 150 in the second one

Which tells me that the hardcore people who are still playing FE heroes and voting in stuff like that really aren't representative of the people who would actually go out and buy something like FE warriors. Bugger.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Which tells me that the hardcore people who are still playing FE heroes and voting in stuff like that really aren't representative of the people who would actually go out and buy something like FE warriors. Bugger.
No, really popular characters like Camilla and Azura retained their popularity. Oboro simply isnt popular in the west

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. Its a fantastic musou title. I enjoyed my time with this game a lot. And its a lot better than people give it credit for.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Well, I've certainly bought the game full price+DLC and loved it while being reaaaaally vocal about its major flaws. I guess the game selling well while ERA not being that much positive about it is not an impossibility. (Also, this game came out right during the GAF exodus so it was kind of in a weird spot.)

Now, people saying it was a flop? Yeah, that was kinda stupid.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the next game (if there is one) has a better roster.

I understand that Awakening and Fates are the most popular games and all but I always thought it was ludicrious that neither Roy nor Ike (you know, those guys who are in fucking Smash Bros.) made it into the base game or DLC.

faint

Oct 27, 2017
Great news. I'm certainly not the target audience for these games but it's clear that many people love them. I'm interested to see if this game may have an impact on the sales of the next mainline FE game.

Lumbai

Apr 12, 2018
UK
good that it's selling well to keep FE alive and well. I do personally feel that FE Warriors is a far less enjoyable experience than Hyrule Warriors, mainly due to the amount of characters having the same movesets (Pegasus Knights...) and the horse/Pegasus combat feeling clunky af.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017

You can't see anything when the thing you're trying to observe is too close to the sun.

(Mario odissey is the sun in this case)

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think KT botched up the characters and half the DLC characters feel like they were cut from the game, so while I'm not happy with the game, if this is successful enough to get a second one where Ike is a main character, I'm all for it.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
I'm interested in how highly people here seem to praise it. I played hyrule warriors on WiiU and I really got into that. That one really worked for me with the boss battles and adventure map mode and all.
I've heard less good things about other entries (like Dragon Quest Heroes). So I kind of dismissed FE:W for now, thinking it didn't seem to have any obvious hook like HW did. Though I really like Fire Emblem a lot. I'd love to know more about what specific things people really liked about FE:W if anyone's got the time?

I'm still gonna put it off 'till after I've finished more of the DLC on HW and picked up FE:Echoes tho. Maybe they'll do some ultimate edition by then.

PS: Is Frederick in it? best waifu :#>

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
For a supposed flag title and the one title going to revitalize Musou, doing lesser than spinoff title is bad though.
Well it has been 6/7 months since FEW's release compared to DW9's 2 and a bit months.

But honestly the properties tied to these spinoffs (One Piece, Gundam, Zelda, etc) have more pull worldwide than the main franchise anyway so it's to be expected. Dynasty Warriors peaked over a decade ago with DW4 sales wise and I doubt it'll ever reach those figures ever again.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well it has been 6/7 months since FEW's release compared to DW9's 2 and a bit months.

But honestly the properties tied to these spinoffs (One Piece, Gundam, Zelda, etc) have more pull worldwide than the main franchise anyway so it's to be expected. Dynasty Warriors peaked over a decade ago with DW4 sales wise and I doubt it'll ever reach those figures ever again.

Fire Emblem IP reach is nowhere close to Zelda, Gundam or even One Piece though.

But i do agree that thinking that DW9 is going to hit like DW4 is hard but below FEW i think is a big miss there.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in how highly people here seem to praise it. I played hyrule warriors on WiiU and I really got into that. That one really worked for me with the boss battles and adventure map mode and all.
I've heard less good things about other entries (like Dragon Quest Heroes). So I kind of dismissed FE:W for now, thinking it didn't seem to have any obvious hook like HW did. Though I really like Fire Emblem a lot. I'd love to know more about what specific things people really liked about FE:W if anyone's got the time?

I'm still gonna put it off 'till after I've finished more of the DLC on HW and picked up FE:Echoes tho. Maybe they'll do some ultimate edition by then.

PS: Is Frederick in it? best waifu :#>

So.. for the bad things about few compared to hw.
Hw feels more like a love letter to the series (even if the game only focused on 3 entries at launch)
Hw characters have varied movesets, even if some may feel unplayable for you there are many other to play. Few has clone characters.
Hw deluxe has a lot more content comoared to few.

For the good things
Few is way way less grindy compared to the original hw (hw deluxe tries to fix, dunno if succeded)
Few use the 4 playable characters in a single map and you can switch to any of those at any time. This system is also implemented on hw legends and hw deluxe but not on the original hw. With this system the devs can throw a lot of objectives at you way earlier.
You can also order your other characters (playable or npcs heroes) to attack or defend points on the map. This also is on hw legends and hw deluxe, however in fe warriors your ai units are really effective and can take fort and kill enemies by themselves if they have the weapon triangle advantage.
Also forts have been rebalanced compared to hw, the captian is always there so you dont have to grind kills first in order to take it.
Fighting enemy generals is less annoying, with a specific combo or a dual attack you can force the weakness gauge to show (if you dont have the weapon disanvantage), in hw you had to use a specific item per enemy and some enemies didnt have an item weakness so you had to hope they did their big attack and show their weakness gauge.
The fe unique mechanics also play a big part on few, weapon advantage makes it easier to fight generals even if underleveled and is something you have to consider when managing the ai, same for soft counters like mages vs low resistance units but to a lesser extend. The pair up mechanic gives you a free guard and a free assists attack that reveals the enemy weakness gauge but in maps where you have 4 or less heroes you may be sacrificing map coverage if you pair up

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

I loved this game, I liked Oboro and Lissa and I don't know who those other characters you mentioned are. Cheers!

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Third Fire Emblem game to hit a million. Musou > Shadows of Valentia. I think this is a clear sign that IS should just hand the main series over to Koei and slave away for phones.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
this is the most average game I've ever played, yet I am still playing it after 3 months. So I guess that's something.

I only bought it for Lucina and Tharja though lol

Third Fire Emblem game to hit a million. Musou > Shadows of Valentia. I think this is a clear sign that IS should just hand the main series over to Koei and slave away for phones.
games with waifus always sell better. Even if reading this or accepting it makes Fire Emblem fans want to drink bleach

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
Niiccceee! Despite some of the criticism it gets, I loved it and thought they did a great job. Well deserved.