• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Im gonna take some some flak for this. But even though FEW has more clones and locks ground based polearm users behind DLC, mechanically and technically FEW is the better game. Personally i liked it a lot better.

Hyrule Warriors is not a bad game by any means however and has a ton of content and some more original maps and fights and fighters.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I had more fun with Hyrule Warriors than Fire Emblem Warriors personally.
The roster is more diverse, the modes are more interesting, and I didn't like the character switching in FEW.

If you're not a fan of any IP, you might prefer FEW though, as it's the most recent one.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had way more fun with Hyrule Warriors. For one every character is unique rather then a lot of the roster being made up of clones, and each weapon type a character has also has it's own unique moveset.I also enjoyed all the Zelda references in the maps and enemies more.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
The items and bosses of Hw were better, even if fore emblem is a more polished experience

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I had more fun with FEW even in the post game whereas with Hyrule the grind made me give up after beating the story as it's bad even by musou standards

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
As a big fan of both series, I was pretty let down with FE:W. Hyrule Warriors has so much more content and varied characters for the same price.

Even if you were interested in the DLC for FE:W its pretty lackluster IMHO and its just not very good unless you want a little more strategy to your mindless hack and slash gameplay.

Lokefm94

Oct 27, 2017
Even if you were interested in the DLC for FE:W its pretty lackluster IMHO and its just not very good unless you want a little more strategy to your mindless hack and slash gameplay.

That hurt's, but I guess it's true. FEW just add more strategies options to the mix. If you're into that kind of thing, maybe you will have a better time with FEW. But, if you're just looking for a warriors game with cool references, HW is likely better for you.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
The only thing I seem to like about Fire Emblem Warriors over Hyrule Warriors is that the AI of your teammates seem to be a bit better, being able to take down some major enemies all on their own rather than just standing around or taking a couple swings here and there.

That aside, I LOVE Hyrule Warriors. I dumped hours into it on the Wii U and even more on Switch. I actually had to force myself to stop playing it honestly but I still have plenty more Adventure Maps I haven't even touched yet.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
FE:W has better gameplay, but HW is more fun with way better fanservice.

I would go for HW.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I had Hyrule Warriors on Wii U and FE on Switch. As a casual player I got more enjoyment out of Hyrule Warriors. It's likely due to the familiarity of it all, but it's worth considering how packed the Switch HW in content.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
FE gameplay is way more fluid and the game overall is less grindy, but isnt as varied as HW.

For the characters, i feel FE doenst reach the highs of some HW character movesets, but it also doenst have the lows.

For the pacing, FE is so much faster its not even funny, no grinding kills in forts, no random weakpoints. Allied AI are much better at doing things.

For content HW wins, for the same price you get way more, however there is a lot of content on both games, and HW has just too much. Most people wont play past 100 hours in either game, so in this case only the high amount of maps and movesets is the important part in which HW still wins easily.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
FEW has better systems and gameplay in general, but HW has so many unique builds, bosses, and tons of content.

Get both.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Honestly, I'd say go for whichever set of characters interest you more.

I prefer Fire Emblem Warriors, though. The ability to give your allies orders and actually be able to expect them to pull it off is just weird after playing HW. But you can and they will. The Weapon Triangle with different weapons having advantages and disadvantages against each other comes into play quite often, as well as the ability to pair units up for more power and the ability to hot-swap between them. So if a sword using Chrom faces someone with a lance, he can tag out for axe using Lissa who will have an advantage there.

But if you prefer Zelda characters, then they're close enough that you can go for that, too.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Hyrule Warriors was a lot better for me. Both with character gameplay variety and story.

Plus having female Corrin only in the story and not male Corrin automatically makes Hyrule Warriors better. Yeah I'm salty lol.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hyrule Warriors has more varied charcters/weapons and more content so....I'd go HW without thinking about it for two more seconds.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Hyrule Warriors was a lot better for me. Both with character gameplay variety and story.

Plus having female Corrin only in the story and not male Corrin automatically makes Hyrule Warriors better. Yeah I'm salty lol.

I'm okay with that considering Fire Emblem has an overabundance of male leads.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm okay with that considering Fire Emblem has an overabundance of male leads.
I would have been more than happy if female Robin was the star instead if male Robin. Or if half the male characters were gone and more females were there instead.

I just have an unnatural rage with female Corrin lmao.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Which series do you like better? That's the best answer.

If you like both equally, do you prefer having a vast character selection (HW) or better gameplay (FEW)? Do you like Fates/Awakening/Shadow Dragon characters specifically? Because that's all FEW's roster is, with the exception of Lyn.

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
I haven't played Fire Emblem Warriors, but I can tell you that I put a crazy amount of hours into Hyrule Warriors on the Wii U (and plan to pick it up for the Switch) because it's just damn fun. The breadth of content and references don't hurt, either.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hyrule Warriors is a better product overall but you should go with whatever series you're more familiar with. A lot of the Fire Emblem fanservice will go over your head if you haven't played the 3ds titles the characters are from

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
HW without a doubt. More unique (and more fun) character movesets, waaaay more content without needing to buy a season pass, and Adventure Mode in HW is a lot better than FEW's comparable History Mode. The one thing I'll say for FEW is that it has some nice QoL changes that I missed when going from it to HW:DE, but hey, if you don't play it then you won't miss them.

ragnarok21

Nov 26, 2017
I just had this same question and in the end I bought FEW, still has to arrive. Basically I like the series more. Although I've played and liked all 3D Zeldas, I have more attachment to Fire Emblem characters (ok, not Fates, but you know). The little strategy sounds interesting to FE fans so I decided to try it.

If I like it, I'll end up getting HW too, but later on so that I don't get burned up by the gameplay.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
Both look boring to me, but HW looks a little less boring with more content.

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think they're all similar so go with the roster you like.

There are stages in FEW that I swear were copy/pasted from HW. I don't really care about the story so it's just fun to mow through a bunch of monsters with super finishers and stuff in FEW.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
FE:W have better gameplay, HW Switch have a lot of stuff for you to play. Choose which franchise you prefer. I liked FE:W slightly better.

Wonder whats the next Nintendo Warrior game, maybe Mario lol

Enrico25

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition is the best Warriors/Musou game ever made.

N051DE

Oct 27, 2017
SEATTLE
Im gonna take some some flak for this. But even though FEW has more clones and locks ground based polearm users behind DLC, mechanically and technically FEW is the better game. Personally i liked it a lot better.

Hyrule Warriors is not a bad game by any means however and has a ton of content and some more original maps and fights and fighters.

I'm backing you up on this. I had a lot more fun with FEW than I did Hyrule. The gameplay is just a bit better.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like on paper, FE Warriors seemed like it was gonna be a much more suitable musou title and an improvement on the HW formula.

But in reality, I personally found that Hyrule Warriors trumped it easily, far more interesting characters and movesets, maps and music make great usage of Zelda's legacy while FE Warriors....just feels generic on this front?

MonsterBoop

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has put 70+ hours into HW and 100+ hours into FE:W, I have to go with FE:W.

Note: All of this is about post campaign content. The games are relatively even if you just plan to play the story campaign and bounce.

I won't refute most of what has been said in this thread about content. HW is brimming with it, but my main issue that keeps stopping me from going back to HW is grinding. It's just layers and layers of grinding. The actual overworld requires you to have specific items to unlock challenges (which require a guide or incredible knowledge of the original Zelda to even know what to do), so you have to go to another challenge (which will eventually often be a previously completed one) to get the item before you can even get the reward from it. Edit: this is apparently a relic of the past! it's been altered in the Switch version to allow you to purchase items instead of grinding for them. So that's nice.

Once you're in a fight in HW and you encounter an officer, you will have to wait for it to attack you, exposing a weakness gauge which you then try to deplete so that you can unleash an attack that really feels like the only way to fight an officer. The officer combat turns into a very slow game of waiting for an attack so that you can counter.

Bosses in HW are pretty impressive and neat the first time you fight them, but become a chore after the ~10 or so times you've already encountered one. The bosses usually have some sort of equipment that can trigger a weakness (ie. hookshot or bow or something) and they end up working somewhat like the officers. Wait for them to do an attack that reveals their weakness and hit them with the equipment that allows you to damage them.

Like someone said above, HW has highs (cool bosses, great characters with unique move sets) but, for me, it hit those lows so much when the grind sets in (described above).

I honestly can't bring myself to play more HW, every time I load up that adventure map looking to complete one more challenge, I just turn it off when what I described above sets in.

To FE:W, well, it doesn't have the above. It has more strategic gameplay allowing you to bring a certain number of units into a fight (usually 4) and freely switch between them while giving orders to the ones you aren't using. The games grind rests in the upgrade trees, where if you wanted to upgrade every character (which is a madman's goal anyway), you'd be looking at repeating a lot of content over and over. Otherwise it offers enough individual challenges in it's post game mode that doesn't make it seem like too much of a grind. Also the bosses in FE:W suck too.

TL:DR If you are looking to play only the story, they are both great games, but after the story HW has one of the worst and most grindy post game experiences I've had in a Warriors game. Fire Emblem was pretty fun throughout and I still occasionally go back to it.

Last edited:

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
These games are full of fan services so choose one that you are a fan of and know most of the characters. If you're not a big fans of neither of them, just go with the latest game, which is FE Warrior.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Fire Emblem Warriors.

Less character variety, sure, but better mechanics. Also, much more stable framerate in handheld mode.

If you want big character variety, smooth framerate and lots of content, go with Dynasty Warriors 8. It's also cheaper.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
FEW has some awesome QoL improvements but ultimately less content. And to be perfectly honest, the character selections are absolute trash. Waaaaaay too much Fates.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Didn't FE Warriors sell Tharja as part of the season pass only for it to be revealed after she came out that she's a clone of Robin?

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I'd honestly have a hard time telling you which is overall "better". They're both great Musous. Go with whichever series you have a greater affinity for.

FemCorrin is canon. Same as Male Robin. Ye shall abide by the law of IntiSys, lol.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Hyrule Warriors is one of the most boring and mindless games I've ever played, and although I didn't play Fire Emblem Warriors, I've heard it at least has some strategic aspects that might change things up a bit.

But like people say, you should probably go for the franchise you like the most.

Rbrogue

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Hyrule Warriors has more diversity in its cast from when I last played FEW. Fire Emblem had some excellent improvements over Hyrule Warriors but the sameness of every character made me prefer hyrule warriors.

Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition is just a bucketload of content.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Multiple characters in the dlc for FEW are clones of existing characters. iirc 6 of the 9 dlc characters were clones
Azura, Oboro, Linde, and Olivia are unique in the DLC. Niles, Navarre, Minerva, Owain, and Tharja are clones of Takumi, Lyn, Camilla, Ryoma, and Robin respectively. They do come with their own personal skills, though.

One could argue that Lyn is the Navarre clone, but she's in the base game, Navarre is not.