• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think HW on Switch fixed the grinding - at least, that's what I heard. Before, you had to grind each character individually or some shit. When people complain about HW grinding issues, I assume they're talking about the Wii U or 3DS versions.

I'm keeping an eye on this topic because I went with a new copy of HW on Ebay for 43 bucks, but was kind of torn between the two.

Rbrogue

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I won't refute most of what has been said in this thread about content. HW is brimming with it, but my main issue that keeps stopping me from going back to HW is grinding. It's just layers and layers of grinding. The actual overworld requires you to have specific items to unlock challenges (which require a guide or incredible knowledge of the original Zelda to even know what to do), so you have to go to another challenge (which will eventually often be a previously completed one) to get the item before you can even get the reward from it.

Just wanted to say Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition fixed this by letting you buy any item you have already unlocked so you very, very rarely need to replay a map just for an item. Some maps have 2-3 items that are excluded from this behavior but if your only experience was with the base Hyrule Warriors, HW: Definitive Edition is drastically better in this regard.

Also, Definitive Edition added in character switching

Last edited:

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Hyrule Warriors I think is a lot better. The weapon wheel in Fire Emblem Heroes I think actually hurts the gameplay.
The solution to the weapon triangle is to play as Tiki. Because there's a certain joy in playing the dragon in the usual "Dragon vs Army!" scenario. Honestly, playing as Tiki is just too funny.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
I enjoyed Fire Emblem Warriors more than Hyrule Warriors.
I felt like the mechanics FEW lifted from FE were mostly great (I really liked ordering my units with the map, and enjoyed swapping between characters to better fit the situation). I also really enjoyed the History Maps. My biggest issue was the character selection being limited to Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates + Lyn and Celica. I would've liked some Tellius characters in the game.
Hyrule Warriors is great but for whatever reason it didn't really click with me.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I think Hyrule Warriors is better and has a bigger and better variety of content in it.

But I like Fire Emblem Warriors more.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem has really good team AI and more of a strategic set up. You can order your teammates to seek out enemies and bases and it feels like they accomplish their tasks much quicker and with more efficiency than in HW. They incorporated the weapons triangle and a bit of the class system from the FE games, so it feels like you have to put more thought into who you bring into battle. Overall it surprisingly feels like playing FE at times, which is cool.

The downside with FE is that a lot of the characters of the same class share movesets, but I also found myself relying on 1 or 2 characters of each class to begin with, so that aspect rarely got in my way. But there's some baffling omissions to the weapon diversity in the base game-- the only spear users are pegasus knights for example, and all the on-foot spear users are DLC.

Hyrule Warriors has a metric ton of content in the game since it's a collection of everything they released for it across Wii U and 3DS. So if you're just looking for something to keep you occupied it wins by sheer virtue of that alone. (not that FEW is light on content or anything) The character roster is huge and all the characters are unique which is a huge point in its favor. And on top of that they're unique for a musou game. But going back to it I've found some parts of the game to be more annoying to play.

There's boss fights which are cool spectacles at first but rapidly start to become agitating when you're deep in the Adventure Mode, the map on the screen is tiny and hard for me to read and there's no voice acting which is annoying because when the characters are talking to you during battle you have to look down at the bottom of the screen to read what they're saying. Also the Switch version sadly kind of chugs in handheld mode.

They are surprisingly different enough that playing both is worth it, but I think overall FEW is the stronger playing game but HW has more stuff in it, and a fresher feeling.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
Just wanted to say Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition fixed this by letting you buy any item you have already unlocked so you very, very rarely need to replay a map just for an item. Some maps have 2-3 items that are excluded from this behavior but if your only experience was with the base Hyrule Warriors, HW: Definitive Edition is drastically better in this regard.

honestly the post game in hw warriors is still way more grindy and obtuse then FEW in that i have done much more post game in that. so although its still been alleviated somewhat its still a very valid complaint. Both are great, the story in feW was garbage while HW was ok though if that mattes.

MonsterBoop

Oct 27, 2017

Oh, that's actually pretty rad. Did they by chance speed up officer combat at all? Are you able to realistically defeat them without using the focus attacks (or whatever the weakpoint attacks were called)?

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Hyrule Warriors by FAR.

Fire Emblem is fun but the characters are very very similar in movesets and stand out very little honestly. Plus they have very little personality with the exception of one or two. Its basically husbando and waifus for folks who are already fans of Fire Emblem but if you weren't a part of that already (like me) then you wont get anything much watching the interactions in the game. Only a few weird characters stand out as entertaining and not just bland anime angst lords.

Hyrule Warriors though...God DAMN.
  • First off the cast is very very diverse in movesets and personalities. Very entertaining.
  • MORE stages. By far more stages. Thats not even counting adventure mode.
  • ADVENTURE MODE. Holy shit those maps. You take on specialty battles where you may be ko counts, or some crazy new rule and get an item to use on the map to unlock more areas of the map. Those areas let you unlock outfits, movesets, better weapons, characters. TONS. So much better than fire emblem
  • Fairies. You collect food, clothing, stat build, and try to create the perfect uber fairy. They give you in battle abilities that are super useful and they are a good thing to work on.
  • Music is stand above better than Fire Emblem.
  • Better challenge and more diverse fights given you have the giant bosses to contend with as well as stronger AI.
  • MOVESETS! Holy shit each character has their own gimmicks, you have dash cancel and item canceling options too to customize combos. Far better than the Fire Emblem stuff and whats more each character is UNIQUE! No retread shit to deal with clone character stuff like Fire Emblem!
Both are fun but geez you can pound 500 hours in Hyrule Warriors with its content thanks to adventure mode questing and fairy grinding and all the content is stronger than Fire Emblem. Just choose it. Its one of the 3 best Musou titles Koei has ever produced with the others being Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate and honest to god I shit you not One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 ( and I fucking hate One Piece and gotta admit this game is incredible).

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Hyrule Warriors if you want more content. Even after buying FEW DLC, Hyrule Warriors has more to do. Also, there are less clones.

Fire Emblem Warriors if you want a more refined experience.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I had way more fun with Hyrule Warriors. For one every character is unique rather then a lot of the roster being made up of clones, and each weapon type a character has also has it's own unique moveset.I also enjoyed all the Zelda references in the maps and enemies more.
Yep. This. And I'm not even a Zelda fan. But Hyrule Warriors was a lot of fun with a lot of charm, whereas Fire Emblem Warriors crushed me with its lack of charm, its boredom, and its excessively atrocious voice acting.

Also, Ganondorf and naginata-wielding Impa are <3 <3 <3

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a way bigger FE fan, but thought Hyrule Warriors was a significantly better game.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
It's so hard for me to decide which of these games is the one I'd recommend, as I don't find either one definitively better than the other:

HW:DE has the most content by far. I like the character, enemy, and setting variety, and the flashiness and fantasy of the combat made it more fun in my eyes.

It's been longer since I played FEW, but IIRC, it's the more polished game. I think I found the gameplay mechanics more refined.

All in all, HW is more fun for me. Something about it endears me more to it. It's just easy to get burnt out on it because the gameplay progression can be a bit of a slog and there's so much stuff. FEW has less of that tedium, but I also found less of a pull to keep playing. As some people said above, FEW doesn't have the charm of HW. I do wonder if my opinion of FEW would be different if I had unlocked Lyn, since a big part of why I like FEW is that I enjoy using Sheik and none of the FEW characters really clicked for me.

EDIT (additional thoughts):

Hyrule Warrriors feels to me like a game that could stand to have its experience made denser: cut out some of the grinding, increase the rate at which rewards and unlocks are received, etc. I had kind of hoped the Definitive Edition would have set the level cap to 99 to make everything go faster, but it remained at 255. As it stands, I played what I consider a significant amount of time but never came close to unlocking everything I hoped.

FEW feels like a game that needs more imagination. When I think of FEW, I think of brown and gray environments and soldiers. I think the game needed to increase the amount of magic, incorporate more of the fantasy, and get away from civilization more frequently with its settings. It does do it a bit, but ultimately, it didn't feel enough. For the characters, I think they needed to diversify the classes a bit more. Maybe Zelda was just better suited to produce a diverse cast, given that its characters were more frequently blank slates and span all kinds of settings.

I think both games would benefit from a "second draft" of sorts that refined the overall vision and structure. In their current versions, though, I think I recommend HW:DE. It gives you more for your money and feels more fun.

Last edited:

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
Hyrule Warriors is the better game but you'll find more enjoyment out of whichever series you like more.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Be aware that HW's framerate is sub-30 when playing undocked because team ninja/omega force mysteriously decided that it needed to render @1080p even when playing on the switch screen. I'm still very disappointed about this.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hyrule Warriors has more content and variety; Fire Emblem Warriors feels more fluid to me and feels far less grindy.