• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
RbLSeZ.png

RbLexP.png

RbLvRm.png

RbLL7i.png

RbLMFo.png

RbLoI9.png

RbLum2.png

RbLDov.png

RbLP8C.png

RbLfJ5.png

RbLFez.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
kuroneko0509

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem Three Houses - Cindered Shadows |OT| Counting Is Hard - Text Version
INFO
Developer: Intelligent Systems, Koei Tecmo Games
Publisher: Nintendo
Language: Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Chinese, Korean
Play mode: Handheld, Tabletop, TV Mode
Price: JPY2,750, USD24.99, CAD31.49, GBP22.49, EUR24.99 (Season Pass)
Required Space: 10.9 GB
Genre: Simulation RPG
Release Date: 12th/13th February 2020

STORY
Cindered Shadows begins when you and few other students including the House Leaders noticed a suspicious figure heading into the monastery's basement. Deciding to follow the figure, the group encountered a mysterious town beneath the monastery called Abyss. Often being one of the big rumours between the students, Abyss is the place where those who wants to escape from the surface society ends up. There, the so-called 4th house of Garreg Mach, The Ashen Wolves appears.

NEW CHARACTERS
Yuri
Ashen Wolves' leader. Originally a student at the Officer's Academy but after being expelled there, he got relocated to Abyss.
Constance
A daughter of a fallen noble family within the empire. She still dreams of restoring her family even if she's living in Abyss.
Balthus
The self-proclaimed Brawler King. He's on the run due to his personality causing him to hide in Abyss.
Hapi
A lackadaisical girl who's unashamedly apathetic. The reason why she's living in Abyss is due to having a unique "constitution".
Alphard
The supervisor of the Abyss, after being ordered to take the position by the Church of Seiros. Due to his personality, he earned the trust of the residents there.

RETURNING CHARACTERS
Byleth
The protagonist of the game. A mercenary-turned-teacher after an incident involving Officers Academy students.
Edelgard
The imperial princess of the Adrestian Empire, also the Black Eagles house leader.
Dimitri
The next in line for the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus's throne. He is also the Blue Lions' house leader.
Claude
The heir of Riegan family, who hold the highest power in Leicester Alliance. He's the house leader of Golden Deer.
Linhardt
Count Hevring's family heir who prefers freedom over restriction.
Ashe
The adopted son of Lord Lonato. He's grateful towards his adopted father for picking him up despite being a commoner.
Hilda
Duke Goneril's only daughter who always being pampered by her father and older brother.

NEW CLASS
Trickster
This class enables the wielder to take advantage of Combat Art "Trick", which allows them to swap places with allies within ranges. Trickster users generally handles their swordsmanship well along with both magic paths.
In the main game, you can change Anna's appearance into her Trickster class. It can be done via "Unit Appearance" menu.
War Monk/Cleric
A class where the user swinging their fists and axes with faith. Their exclusive combat art "Far-strike" enables them to attack up to 2 range which scales off Magic stats. Proficiency in faith also enables them to use healing magics.
Dark Flier
A female-only class where the user mounts a jet-black pegasus while casting magics. The class ability "Magic Conversion" allows the user to boost her stats by 3 when being hit by magic attacks during enemy's phase.
Valkyrie
Another female-only class where the user rides horse while casting Reason-related magics. Thanks to the class abilities which extend the range by 1, they can safely attack from distance and quickly retreat.

GAME SYSTEMS
Separate from Main Story
In order to start this side story, you must access it from the main menu instead of continuing from your Main Story save files.
Fixed Team Members
Unlike in main story where you can recruit other characters outside your main house, Cindered Shadows will instead give you certain characters to use throughout the story.
Fixed Class & Skill Levels
In Cindered Shadows, each character has preset classes and abilities that they can choose from. There's no examination process to unlock new classes for the characters. So, make use what was given to you.
Limited Resources
Even though weapons can be purchased, repaired or forged, you must be careful as the availability of resources and funds within Abyss are limited.
Main Story Unlockables
Keep on progressing through the Side Story and you can unlock the new classes, characters and more in your Main Story playthrough.

RbLUyT.png

Can I get this Side Story stand-alone, like without the base game or season pass?
No. You need to have both the base game and season pass.

When does this took place?
It happened somewhere during pre-time skip.

Will recruited Abyss characters have post-time skip appearance?
Yes

What is the requirement for the new DLC classes?
Other than the specific skill levels needed, the character that undergo examination need to be level 20 and above. You also need a new seal item for it.

How long is the side story?
From the Famitsu info, it will last from 8 to 10 hours. Of course it can be shorter or longer than that depending on your playstyle.

Do I need to start over my Main Story playthrough to access unlocked Abyss contents in it?
No. As you go through Cindered Shadows, the unlockables will be applied to all your save files.

RbLXRb.png

SatsumaFS on Twitter for tweet translations
Aveyn Knight for the prerelease info posted at the ever trusted Serenes Forest
IntSys, KT Games and Nintendo for the DLC

Last edited:

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I though this was releasing on the 22nd, not 12th! What a nice surprise, I hope.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Let's go! So there is no downside to just playing this right when it comes out? I can incorporate it into my main game whenever?

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have a playthrough that's like 5 hours into verdant wind (pre timeskip), do I need to start over after finishing the DLC to get those characters?

OP
OP
kuroneko0509

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
I have a playthrough that's like 5 hours into verdant wind (pre timeskip), do I need to start over after finishing the DLC to get those characters?
From the pre-release info, it sounds like the side story progress will retroactively unlock on all your main story save files, so no need to start over.
Although it's unsure if you can still recruit the 4 chara post-game or not

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Does Nintendo ever put season passes/DLC on sale? This sounds pretty interesting but I'm not sure if it's $25 interesting.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
kind of cool that its a main menu thing too. Might think about getting it

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Does the DLC take place entirely before the timeskip?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Let's gooo.

I'm cautiously optimistic for the seemingly more classic FE style of this mini-campaign, with the fixed classes and such.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
WE'RE THE SECRET FOURTH HOUSE

I already bought this thing so I guess I'll play it, misgivings aside

Let's gooo.

I'm cautiously optimistic for the seemingly more classic FE style of this mini-campaign, with the fixed classes and such.

Y'know, if I get some FE puzzle gameplay it will be worth every penny.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Does the DLC take place entirely before the timeskip?

We don't know what the endpoint is, but presumably it ends before the timeskip (I'd guess it takes place within a relatively short timeframe) since you can recruit the Ashen Wolves into the main game after progressing in the DLC. However, we do know the new students do get post-skip designs.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Excellent. I'm hoping it's more interesting than it sounds, because "secret fourth house under the monastery" is cheesy as hell. Can't wait to play.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Am I going to replay at least one, probably two routes after beating the DLC just to try out everything new?

...probably. I'm already thinking about who wants what classes of the new ones. Annette wants War Cleric so badly. Marianne is in the mood for a Trickster. ...tempted to put Edelgard on a black pegasus if I do her route.

But first the DLC must be beaten.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
We don't know what the endpoint is, but presumably it ends before the timeskip (I'd guess it takes place within a relatively short timeframe) since you can recruit the Ashen Wolves into the main game after progressing in the DLC. However, we do know the new students do get post-skip designs.
Gotcha, thanks for the info. Makes sense that it probably only happens pre-timeskip, but I do hope it also adds a little bit to the second half of the game. It's at least cool to know the new characters get different appearances.

Regardless, excited to dive back in!

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I assume you can't recruit the new students after the timeskip. Is there any specific chapter before the timeskip you can't recruit them? The farthest pretimeskip save I have is chapter 10, which isn't too far where I am right now in my Golden Deer run.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Those are some cool classes to lock behind DLC, Nintendo. I normally wouldn't find, but the class offering and balance in the base game is lackluster at best as is.