• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
dang, I was over leveled by the first Death Knight 'battle' with my Byleth & Edelgard being the same level as him and still got slaughtered whenever I would try to challenge him so I gave up (instead I just stole the dark seal off him during the last turn before beating the commander)

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
To be honest the only way to make these games really hard is to break regular enemy units to where it takes forever to kill them, there are several characters on the roster that are so broken things like Death Knight moving around just means he'll get the hell off the map faster.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very interested in seeing how these turn out.

It might be for the best that the harder difficulties will come later. Three Houses does a lot of things different, having more time to balance around it is not a bad thing.
To be honest the only way to make these games really hard is to break regular enemy units to where it takes forever to kill them, there are several characters on the roster that are so broken things like Death Knight moving around just means he'll get the hell off the map faster.
Not really.

A game like FE5 gets its difficulty more from enemy placement than their strength. The average enemy in Thracia is pretty weak.

Though I would like to see some stat buffs so one rounding isn't so common for units outside of those designed for it like Lysithia. But they don't need to become damage sponges, more enemies with better placement would go a long way.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I'm very interested in seeing how these turn out.

It might be for the best that the harder difficulties will come later. Three Houses does a lot of things different, having more time to balance around it is not a bad thing.

Not really.

A game like FE5 gets its difficulty more from enemy placement than their strength. The average enemy in Thracia is pretty weak.

Though I would like to see some stat buffs so one rounding isn't so common for units outside of those designed for it like Lysithia. But they don't need to become damage sponges, more enemies with better placement would go a long way.
I recall Thracia having good placement on top of you not having a lot of tools/units capable of quickly killing them, though the last time I played the game was 5-6 years ago.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it's going to be easy as hell to break all of my characters early on in my second playthrough (now that I've come to understand that the training weapons actually have a point), so the most I can hope for is that enemies are similarly broken, but in a diverse way.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I secretly hope that one of those difficulties has it that the game autosaves after every move/death.

If you mean hard-saving, that's not gonna happen, but considering Radiant Dawn removed battle saves on its hardest difficulty it's possible the hardest difficulty here will cut out Divine Pulse.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I feel like it's going to be easy as hell to break all of my characters early on in my second playthrough (now that I've come to understand that the training weapons actually have a point), so the most I can hope for is that enemies are similarly broken, but in a diverse way.
What's the point to the training weapons? Aside from their lower weight, I mean

Varjet

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the higher difficulty levels don't rely on handing out skills to regular enemies like candy. Slows the game down quite a bit.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I recall Thracia having good placement on top of you not having a lot of tools/units capable of quickly killing them, though the last time I played the game was 5-6 years ago.
Thracia has a lot of strong units available, and several have unique weapons early on that make them even better. Plus the many infinite range warp staves to steal. We're not lacking in powerful options in that game.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What's the point to the training weapons? Aside from their lower weight, I mean
Every time a character participates in combat (whether they're the ones who initiate combat or not), that character gains a small amount of XP toward mastery of their current Class.

Weaker weapons = more opportunities to participate in combat.
This understanding lets you better balance Lv progression against Class and Skill progression.
If you're one or two shooting everything, your characters will generally level up faster than they master their classes. With training weapons, they'll grow more comprehensively, but you have to play more carefully.

Tl;dr - Training weapons really are actually for training, and it took me half the game to realize it

Last edited:

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Every time a character participates in combat (whether they're the ones who initiate combat or not), that character gains a small amount of XP toward mastery of their current Class.

Weaker weapons = more opportunities to participate in combat.
This understanding lets you better balance Lv progression against Class and Skill progression.
If you're one or two shooting everything, your characters will generally level up faster than they master their classes
Oh, I see. That does make good sense, though I admit I thought the class progression was very smooth and reasonable once you got the bonus from Cethleann's statue. Granted, though, that I didnt' have most characters (excluding pretty much only Lysithea) try to master more than one class per tier

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
If you mean hard-saving, that's not gonna happen, but considering Radiant Dawn removed battle saves on its hardest difficulty it's possible the hardest difficulty here will cut out Divine Pulse.
And make it so that divine pulse won't work for mandatory deploy characters, usually Byleth and a Lord.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I would love it if the boss enemies moved around, I always think it's lame when they just stand there in the fort lol

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
You think letting that skull-headed trashcan run around is going to save him from boosted grill Lysithea? The quicker you can run to her, the quicker she can Thanos snap him and get back to the monastery for some keeki.

And ain't NOBODY getting between Lys and her keeki.

That said, I NEED a harder mode. With battle forecast, Divine Pulse, and no weapon triangle, things have gotten SUBSTANTIALLY easier.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Fire Emblem Three Houses: Difficulty Modes

1. Fuckin' Easy
2. Just Easy
3. DLC: Stupid Fuckin' Hard
4. DLC: The Regret Zone

that's a good spread
real comprehensive
good to see another Fire Emblem game with quality difficulty balance
>.>

Normal and Hard feel designed for people new to FE, and as per usual lunatic sounds like it's only fun for masochists. I really do wish that FE would have that just right difficulty where the game is challenging but fair for veterans.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
The Maddening/Infernal names+difficulties were mined before the game even released, but cool to see someone got Maddening up and running.

Playing on Hard/Classic has definitely been on the easier side as an FE vet, so I'll probably save one or two routes for a Maddening run down the line. Curious what Infernal will be like though (hopefully not an Awakening situation of "all enemies have random OP skills".)

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Normal and Hard feel designed for people new to FE, and as per usual lunatic sounds like it's only fun for masochists. I really do wish that FE would have that just right difficulty where the game is challenging but fair for veterans.

Fire Emblem Conquest hits a nice balance of having an actually hard "Hard" mode without it feeling crazy unbalanced imo.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem Conquest hits a nice balance of having an actually hard "Hard" mode without it feeling crazy unbalanced imo.

Yeah I played Conquest on Hard/Classic and had a blast. It was very difficult but I found the difficulty to be interesting and fun most of the time (give or take the final chapter and one or two others). Didn't go anywhere near Lunatic though.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Yes, Conquest was a step in the right direction, with AI actually refusing to kill itself if it did no damage to the target. Not sure why FE3H AI went backwards from there. The amount of "No Damage" in my runs have been silly. Why would they purposely make AI dumber? I don't get it.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I played Conquest on Hard/Classic and had a blast. It was very difficult but I found the difficulty to be interesting and fun most of the time (give or take the final chapter and one or two others). Didn't go anywhere near Lunatic though.
On the other hands, some of the maps were such a pain to do without having anybody die that it could easily burn you out. Tooks me months to restart after spending an entire week trying to optimise the ninja map while keeping the npc alive in harder difficulties.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Conquest was a step in the right direction, with AI actually refusing to kill itself if it did no damage to the target. Not sure why FE3H AI went backwards from there. The amount of "No Damage" in my runs have been silly. Why would they purposely make AI dumber? I don't get it.
Maybe so units that are tanks can do their job.

Armors always have a hard time standing out in general, but it's funny just how worthless a unit who specializes in defense is when all the enemies ignore it. Making the class that can't even walk up to its opponent, unable to draw them in, haha.

That AI change is one of those things that, yeah it makes sense, but it also felt like it limited our options.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I would hesitate to pass judgment on the balance of Maddening difficulty based on the reports of one person, playing an incomplete version of it, who seems to find it fun and pleasant.

Not that there aren't positive or negative indicators, but I wouldn't go so far as to declare it too hard to be fun just yet.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Well, Lysithea was already a must-recruit for me - this just makes that even more of a need. I'm not sure whether she or Petra is my favorite at this point as I near the end of the GD route. Thinking BE next ...

Oct 25, 2017
The game needs changes to Professor Level more than anything else. Getting 2 battles per free day or 9 meals to force-feed per day is just busted and out of line with every other option.

That's possible that the 4th difficulty will remove it, but it could just limit it, or impose some additional cost. It is an interesting QOL option that greatly reduces the odds of a player from bouncing in the game of frustration, while still making missions require the same # of "correct" decisions to reach the end.

Nah. There's been other Hard modes that are far easier.

Sacred Stones is also very easy on hard.

Eliwood's Hard Mode as well, the harder chapters is the first few.

Awakening's as well even with the Same turn Reinforcements. (Tho Three Houses has something like this in some instances).

Path of Radiance is also incredibly easy on Hard.

Tho Three Houses in general is pretty easy for us that have been playing Fire Emblem games for a long time. Give me those unfair Hard modes. I love those.

I don't know if I agree with all of this, but I generally do. The Fire Emblem community can be super condescending about difficulty, and like From's games people kind of ignore the value of hundreds of hours of experience. Three Houses does a really bad job explaining stuff, so it can be really daunting for players that don't understand a lot of basics about how much characters can survive, the power of crits, or how the game straight-up lies to the player about numbers (hit %). Or nuances of how leveling works, etc. I'd be curious to see how people calling Three Houses "baby easy" or whatever rank each difficulty of each FE game from easiest to hardest. People are totally systematically forgetting how busted a simple stack of Chrom+Robin, or The Lobster, make their respective games, even on Hard or perhaps even Lunatic.

There's also no real consensus on whether Rewind is QOL or an easy mode. I mentally count any death and rewind the same way as I would count a full mission reset, except it is less frustrating. There's been plenty of FE games that have mid-chapter saves, and this is just using the power of RAM and an actual interface.

Last edited:

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017
The code for maddening difficulty has been known for a while and it does buff all units stats and abilities and adds a few more enemies. IMO it's what hard should have been at launch, current hard difficulty is more like normal and gets pretty boring once you start to build your units. Hopefully Lunatic once they release it will be more difficult.

Here's a comparison of late/end game enemy stats (BE-E route Ch17, pre-reinforcements to keep spoilers to a minimum).
73lUAZ9.jpg

If you have a Switch on CFW you can find the code in this thread (attached to the OP).

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
The code for maddening difficulty has been known for a while and it does buff all units stats and abilities and adds a few more enemies. IMO it's what hard should have been at launch, current hard difficulty is more like normal and gets pretty boring once you start to build your units. Hopefully Lunatic once they release it will be more difficult.

Here's a comparison of late/end game enemy stats (BE-E route Ch17, pre-reinforcements to keep spoilers to a minimum).
73lUAZ9.jpg

If you have a Switch on CFW you can find the code in this thread (attached to the OP).

Thanks for the comparison, doesn't look like a huge leap from Hard, which is nice. Hopefully it avoids the Awakening problem where Hard is too easy, but Lunatic is too bullshit (at least early game).

Granted, it could change by the time they officially release it.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they don't take too long to release the higher difficulties. I'd like to do the other houses on that difficulty. The current "hard" isn't all that hard. It's not quite as easy as Awakening was with pair up but it's not far from it.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Right now "Maddening" sounds closer to what you might expect out of a Hard mode in a more recent Fire Emblem, with Hard being balanced more toward Normal and Normal more toward Easy, for newcomers to the series

They've done a pretty clever trick, but based on impressions I'm really eager to see how Maddening feels to actually play

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Right now "Maddening" sounds closer to what you might expect out of a Hard mode in a more recent Fire Emblem, with Hard being balanced more toward Normal and Normal more toward Easy, for newcomers to the series

They've done a pretty clever trick, but based on impressions I'm really eager to see how Maddening feels to actually play
That's like reverse Radiant Dawn.

No warning for same turn reinforcements

Noooo! I hate that shit. Now I'm losing interest in Maddening. Buff enemy stats, buff placements, buff their skills, their number of enemies, buff their AI. All that is good but same turn reinforcement is the most BS thing ever.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno, as long as it's not more reinforcements spawning, and it's not your first playthrough, you should be able to embrace them and position your chars accordingly.

But if it is more reinforcements and spawning at unfamiliar places ... yeah that will suck.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
and why is it not officially in the game if someone can play this when hacking it? the game on hard is too easy, would have been nice to have a challenge at release, not later...especially when it is in the game files.

Its probably a placeholder, something they were testing but didnt finish balancing. I think the part where most ubits have pass or posion stat should be a good hint that this is the case

Oct 25, 2017
Its probably a placeholder, something they were testing but didnt finish balancing. I think the part where most ubits have pass or posion stat should be a good hint that this is the case

Yeah, it isn't remotely finished. They need to do like 80 missions worth of manual balancing plus testing, plus a whole bunch of changes to the calendar system. This isn't some slapdash difficulty Atlus-style like a flat 20% buff to final damage.

Just because something is playable doenst mean that was good enough to ship. Fire Emblem difficulty tweaks are like the top decile of development effort for difficulty levels and should be pushed out when ready.

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
Fire Emblem Three Houses: Difficulty Modes

1. Fuckin' Easy
2. Just Easy
3. DLC: Stupid Fuckin' Hard
4. DLC: The Regret Zone

that's a good spread
real comprehensive
good to see another Fire Emblem game with quality difficulty balance
>.>

Normal / Casual, is the first time my fiancée plays a game for 7+ hours non-stop. She does not play video games
While i'm a bit annoyed its easy, i'm very happy i got her into the game. I've been trying years to find the right one.

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017
That's like reverse Radiant Dawn.

Noooo! I hate that shit. Now I'm losing interest in Maddening. Buff enemy stats, buff placements, buff their skills, their number of enemies, buff their AI. All that is good but same turn reinforcement is the most BS thing ever.

Now there's finally a use for the more than generous rewind. ;)

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
There's already a kinda same turn reinforcements in Hard mode.

There's been chapters/side chapters when they show up passing a certain point on the map and can screw you over.

But if these modes aren't finished yet. Don't know if we can say for sure Same turn reinforcements is a sure thing.

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017
Same turn reinforcements are a plague on the genre. This game already has a few quasi-same turn reinforcements and it is bad enough.

They should just take what they did for conquest and do it again.